• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
They haven't dubbed any of the X Zone games so far, but maybe that'll change with 3. Who really knows.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Unfortunately, I just don't know enough about a lot of those franchises to warrant a purchase.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, that's more a problem with Mario in Smash in general. He's far too angry. So, in that regard, I suppose he and Lucina share a similar fate of being out of character (and it's not like Mario has much character, and they still got it wrong). At least for the pose in question, he does a cool jump. That's part of what really sells it for me. Plus, it's his 64 pose.
that is true mario is a little off in smash as is bowser, its weird that

Arthur97

Smash Master
They aren't the only ones, at least historically, Roy has been really out of character too. Then there's the travesty of Ganondorf that we're all probably familiar with. Or the seeming reluctance to reference Wario Land much at all (I get that he's characterized differently in Japan, but that doesn't mean those games didn't happen). Smash also seems largely responsible for Luigi being so...quirky. Kind of a shame really. I think other games should influence Smash, not the other way around.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Unless they find another person to voice Rex I wouldn't be able to stand his voice. I played XB2 and his acting just bothered me so much. It's been a while so I may be a bit off, but I remember instances where he just screamed someones name to convey an emotional scene and it just didn't sell on me. I would sooner take Tora and his weird nopon speak than listen to Rex scream random grating sentences during battle. WIN IT PYRAAAAAAAA

Unless of course they give the guy some voice acting lessons.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Oh, he wasn't that bad. Had some rough screams early on, but he was fine so long as he wasn't trying to scream, and even then his yelling apparently got better by the end of it. Poor Weaver though (I think that was him) since he probably got a lot of hate for his work.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oh, he wasn't that bad. Had some rough screams early on, but he was fine so long as he wasn't trying to scream, and even then his yelling apparently got better by the end of it. Poor Weaver though (I think that was him) since he probably got a lot of hate for his work.
Yeah, I'll admit, it was kinda clear that Xenoblade 2 was kind of a trial-by-fire VA class for Al Weaver during production. And you're right, he did get better as the game went by.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I mean I liked everything else about the game, I just couldn't stand his screaming lol.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They aren't the only ones, at least historically, Roy has been really out of character too. Then there's the travesty of Ganondorf that we're all probably familiar with. Or the seeming reluctance to reference Wario Land much at all (I get that he's characterized differently in Japan, but that doesn't mean those games didn't happen). Smash also seems largely responsible for Luigi being so...quirky. Kind of a shame really. I think other games should influence Smash, not the other way around.
does ganondorf still have those oddly cartoonish expressions from last time? man its like theyve got bowser and ganon the wrong way around, bowsers the cartoony villain and ganon's the sinister one.

Unless of course they give the guy some voice acting lessons.
ive seen the guy in other stuff he does not need acting lessons

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, I'll admit, it was kinda clear that Xenoblade 2 was kind of a trial-by-fire VA class for Al Weaver during production. And you're right, he did get better as the game went by.
And I think he did well. Especially if it was his first big role. I actually like Rex as a character. In fact, hopefully Smash can be where Weaver shows how good he can be.
does ganondorf still have those oddly cartoonish expressions from last time? man its like theyve got bowser and ganon the wrong way around, bowsers the cartoony villain and ganon's the sinister one.

ive seen the guy in other stuff he does not need acting lessons
I mean, he smirks, but it seems fairly in character for him.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
I finally finished Torna. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
can,t believe I’m officially done with Xenoblade 2, will definitely miss it.
Now I want Mythra more than ever included in Rex’s moveset. I will be very disappointed if we only have Pyra with Rex.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I really want Rex and Pyra/Mythra (probably most wanted) and think they have better chances but I think the one thing that we're forgetting is that Nintendo chose the characters, not Sakurai. So while Sakurai wanted Rex for base game and couldn't put him in, this time around it's whether or not Nintendo wanted to do it.

On the flip side, Skye Bennett's VA tweet doesn't discourage me too much since we've still got 5 characters to go and while I'm sure we all want Rex and Pyra/Mythra ASAP, who's to say they're not FP 5 or something. Also reusing voice lines, but I feel like they'd want to record new ones for maybe star KOs at least. Either way, it's possible they don't need Skye back, but I think they do need Al Weaver back.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
I'm probably late on this, but it seems that Min Min has two spirits now.
One that she has of herself while she wasn't in Smash that's purchasable with ingame currency.
And one where she is in Smash and is only obtainable through Classic Mode.

So if Rex got in, he'd have 2nd spirit. One with Smash Renders(probably.) to deviate from the Spirit that is of his official Xenoblade Chronicles 2 artwork.

Attachments

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What artwork could Rex even use?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, they could potentially crop it from that big anniversary piece they released. Someone else also posted one, but I couldn't find it. His...other outfit should be golden though. Alternatively, he doesn't even really need new art and could just use the Smash render.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think they might skip Mythra in Rex’s moveset to avoid spoilers?
I sure hope not.
Mythra appearing in Torna makes her even more important to the game.
Hopefully it won’t be a factor.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I sure hope not.
no, sakurai cares little about spoilers. also mythra was in all the games promos so shes not a spoiler

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I sure hope not.
They showed Mythra in the reveal trailers for 2, and has a lot of easily accesible official art, unlike that other form that shows up late. She's not a spoiler, only her circumstances are.

Spoilers also didn't stop Mecha-Fiora from being a trophy and Smash Tour item in 4.

Last edited:

max_0888

Smash Cadet
Right! Good point about Mecha-Fiora.
I can’t see Rex not being in the remaining 5 after what Sakurai said about not having time to add him to the roster but including Byleth...
And now Arms.
I would be so disappointed if Rex is excluded.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I sure hope not.
Mythra is a main game mechanic.

She's not gonna be hidden when we have :ultlucina: and :ultsheik: on the roster.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
They will make a fighter spirit for Rex & Pyra together
This. Which is entirely realistic when you think back to how Nintendo collaborated with Monolith to soften the impact of Mythra's Spirit being censored. (Seriously, a Spirit got the source game to update itself to include the new appearance as a costume!)

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
To be honest I think the whole VA thing could be more for something like Project X Zone 3. Reading that VA's tweet didn't make me feel like it would be for smash, hell i don't think she would be even allowed to tease it if it was. That's just me anyway, I could be wrong. Just be careful with getting too much hope from her tweet. As someone who wants Lloyd, I thought Scott's teasing was for Lloyd but there's been no update on what he was teasing for all this time, hell he didn't even confirm it was for the Robin thing he did sometime later. I honestly decided to not keep my hopes up on that type of teases.
God I remember the whole thing about Dante getting something on Jan 16th and the FP5 Smash reveal also being planned for that day, and a BUNCH of people all thought it meant Dante was coming even though, like, when has a guest character's company ever hinted towards their character being in Smash? That would be counter-intuitive to the surprise and hype of the reveal.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
God I remember the whole thing about Dante getting something on Jan 16th and the FP5 Smash reveal also being planned for that day, and a BUNCH of people all thought it meant Dante was coming even though, like, when has a guest character's company ever hinted towards their character being in Smash? That would be counter-intuitive to the surprise and hype of the reveal.
The concept of coincidences was lost on a lot of people. It didn't help that one of the series' regulars wishing for Dante in Smash was immediately interpreted as "he WILL be in Smash".

At any rate, it's likely that the VA thing is meant for a project that might not have gotten off the ground. That kind of thing can occasionally happen (especially if it was going to be Scalebound).

Last edited:

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
I sure hope not.
Mythra might be included in with Rex.
I say this because Fiora is right there in Shulk's final smash in a robotic suit.
If one were to touch Xenoblade Chronicles one after seeing that in the Final Smash, it is very possible for one to put the pieces together fast. Probably.
Mythra was also apart of the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 trailers. At least some of them. I saw her in a JP trailer once just recently.

Right! Good point about Mecha-Fiora.
I can’t see Rex not being in the remaining 5 after what Sakurai said about not having time to add him to the roster but including Byleth...
And now Arms.
I would be so disappointed if Rex is excluded.
Same. It'd be the worse NTR ever since Chrom.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, the Smash staffs never really cared much about spoiling other games, since it's seen as a given that people who played those are also playing Smash.

Hell, even the Spirit team casually spoils things from time to time, just ask any Warframe player.

The only things getting in any character's way are timing issues, and if any more characters get allowed before support stops.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope not.
Considering how Xenoblade spoilers are treated, I would be surprised if Pneuma and Blade Nia didn't show up as well.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Given how :ultshulk: was given the first Monado. I doubt we get more spoilers in Rex beyond Mythra.

Not that many Rex fans would complain since we already played XC2, for newcomers it would suck tho. But for the outfit and attacks themselves, they would be very cool.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I still think it's entirely possible we'll get Rex's second costume. For his FS I also wouldn't rule out spoilers. Plus, it'd be a good alternative to just reusing Chain Attack.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I always assumed the Final Smash would be Siren's particle cannon. We see Siren as early as Mythra's awakening in Uraya and it even has merchandise.

siren.jpg
Also, Rex's "second costume" would certainly allow Rex to exceed people's expectations design-wise, but its association with OP-ness might would set standards for a moveset that can't be met. Especially if Mythra isn't as equally involved as Pyra.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I would assume Pyra and Mythra would be relatively equal. As for the costume, I don't think it is so related to being OP that Rex would have to be in Smash. Seems like an odd and rather artificial restriction. It's just a costume, and, yeah, would give an alternative to the diver outfit (even if that outfit does make sense for him since, you know, it's his livelihood). Plus, he could get a black with purple accent version to represent Malos.

I kind of would like for it to be Infinity Blade. Or, better yet, a proximity FS where if you land the initial swing it's Infinity Blade, but if you miss he tosses it to Pneuma who does a weaker Genesis Saber.

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
I would like to be one of the supporters for Rex. I really didn’t care about him at first but after some thinking arms & what sakurai said in the past I’m all up for it
He seems like the likeliest 2nd base game promotion out of all the others

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I have one concern about the implementation of Mythra in Rex's kit and that's "smoothness" I suppose. Coming from a non-gameplay perspective. If Rex has Pyra and Mythra in his moveset, what do you call the character? "Rex & Aegis"? idk, it sounds weird and could possibly confuse non-XB2 fans into thinking Pyra and Mythra's name is Aegis. "Rex & Pyra/Mythra"? Ehh, I feel like they have to make a short and simple name for each character. So it will most likely be just "Rex" and the Aegis take a back seat in the name department or it's "Rex & Pyra" and Mythra is left out. It's a situation I do honestly wonder how they would handle. They also have the render to worry about and representing the character properly.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I have one concern about the implementation of Mythra in Rex's kit and that's "smoothness" I suppose. Coming from a non-gameplay perspective. If Rex has Pyra and Mythra in his moveset, what do you call the character? "Rex & Aegis"? idk, it sounds weird and could possibly confuse non-XB2 fans into thinking Pyra and Mythra's name is Aegis. "Rex & Pyra/Mythra"? Ehh, I feel like they have to make a short and simple name for each character. So it will most likely be just "Rex" and the Aegis take a back seat in the name department or it's "Rex & Pyra" and Mythra is left out. It's a situation I do honestly wonder how they would handle. They also have the render to worry about and representing the character properly.
i imagine itd be either just rex of rex & which ever one is currently in play

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The announcer calls out Rex & Pyra or Rex & Mythra depending on whoever’s out. You can pick which one to start with a la Pokémon Trainer.
If Minmin has shown anything it’s that this sort of thing is a non-issue. Hell, their Spirit could just be Rex & Pyra, and Rex & Mythra without the need for (Fighter) appended because they’ve never shared a Spirit before anyways.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Honestly I think just calling them Rex would be the easiest. Especially if they are intangible. There is precedence for this as the announcer calls out for the trainers rather than the individual Pokemon.

Top Bottom