• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

Sorry guys, it isn't Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That gig isn't Smash.

But that doesn't mean she hasn't been contacted for it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"BUT REX HAS A MII COSTUME!"
Yeah, a Mii costume that'll help cut down on development time.

Arthur97

Smash Master
"BUT REX HAS A MII COSTUME!"
Yeah, a Mii costume that'll help cut down on development time.
I don't think the Mii costume will really affect anything. It's not an actual model and the proportions are wrong. That said, they could probably do something similar using his actual XC2 model.

Actually, I'm not sure if the clarification might be a rather bad thing. She knows how much it means, so I wonder if she would have said something even about a separate project if she were working on Smash. She could very well, and it could be coincidental, but it could not bode well.

I suppose they could reuse lines too. They've done it plenty of times, and XC2 is pretty dialogue heavy so they might could find what they wanted in the pre existing lines.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's not an actual model and the proportions are wrong
There are several Mii costume models that are fighter/AT models scaled to Mii proportions. Surely they could do the same in reverse.

And yes, they could also reuse his XC2 model, as Nia's costume is her XC2 model scaled to Mii proportions.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
There are several Mii costume models that are fighter/AT models scaled to Mii proportions. Surely they could do the same in reverse.

And yes, they could also reuse his XC2 model, as Nia's costume is her XC2 model scaled to Mii proportions.
Then they probably already did it for Rex, did they not? Seems like more work to take the costume and rescale it than to just take the original model and work from there.

Now, speaking of models, would gramps be along for the ride? He was in Rex's helmet for most of the game, but that could be a decent amount of more work for animating and such as he's a bit bigger than that rodent one of the Heroes is lugging around so he would probably need animations for stuff like jumping and getting hit. Add that on top of having to model Pyra and Mythra depending on how many animations they have and it seems like they might be better off to just omit him. Maybe just use him for a victory screen.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
they could, dont know if theyd need her permission though
Did the thousands of voice lines already recycled in Ultimate require permission? And if so, whose permission, since Colonel Campbell's Japanese VA died?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I imagine that doing voice work for stuff like this involves contracts that gives over the rights to use those lines. At least to some degree. Like, say, Nintendo may own the rights to the Yoshi sound bites so they don't have to keep asking permission. Now, there may be stipulations such as lines only being able to be used for that role, and not all contracts may be the same. Plus, throw in those pesky unions and you can have some complicated waters to maneuver. Like how they couldn't apparently just reuse Cloud's English lines or how in some stuff VAs are unaccredited for whatever reason.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Did the thousands of voice lines already recycled in Ultimate require permission? And if so, whose permission, since Colonel Campbell's Japanese VA died?
well if i didnt know if theyd need her permission to use pyra's voice why would i know if they needed it for everyone else

Like how they couldn't apparently just reuse Cloud's English lines or how in some stuff VAs are unaccredited for whatever reason.
from what i understand nintendo dont work with union VAs and many of them get around this by deciding to go uncredited and steve burton is under contract to always be credited as cloud so he couldnt get around it

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
They just could use Pyra voice lines from XC2 right?
Yes, since it's not like Pyra would be the fighter. Are new Pyra lines needed for Rex's taunts? Are new Pyra lines needed for the victory animation? Her (and Mythra's) level of involvement might not call for it.

And I assume permission wouldn't need to be given if this is any indicator, though I guess it could be different if voice lines cross over into entirely different IP.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Arthur97

Smash Master
well if i didnt know if theyd need her permission to use pyra's voice why would i know if they needed it for everyone else

from what i understand nintendo dont work with union VAs and many of them get around this by deciding to go uncredited and steve burton is under contract to always be credited as cloud so he couldnt get around it
It's still a shame they couldn't find some way to do it even if it meant a new VA, especially since Marth and Roy finally got English voices.
I just remembered that Iggy/Ludwig's VA did not get approval for reusing his voice lines in Smash. Which he thinks makes Nintendo games seem cheap.
I mean, what's he expecting? It's mostly grunts. It does seem a bit odd that they didn't go with the newest rendition of said koopalings though as it seems they got new voice work for some more recent games, but I don't know if they got different VAs or just new clips. Maybe the new clips just didn't have what they wanted?

Either way, if they own it, they don't really have to get permission. Now, reusing Mario's old clips for Luigi, that may have been pushing the cheap envelope.

Though, I would have liked if they redid Lucina's less than stellar voice work from 4. They even had an excuse with her changing VAs which Ike did too, and they even gave him two sets despite I think him having the same set for Brawl and 4. Though, not everyone is the Star Fox crew which, for better or worse, the fighters seem to have their clips redone every installment. Even if they don't actually get a new VA for some reason. Meanwhile Mario is still using his Brawl clips. Granted, it's Mario.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's still a shame they couldn't find some way to do it even if it meant a new VA, especially since Marth and Roy finally got English voices.

I mean, what's he expecting? It's mostly grunts. It does seem a bit odd that they didn't go with the newest rendition of said koopalings though as it seems they got new voice work for some more recent games, but I don't know if they got different VAs or just new clips. Maybe the new clips just didn't have what they wanted?

Either way, if they own it, they don't really have to get permission. Now, reusing Mario's old clips for Luigi, that may have been pushing the cheap envelope.

Though, I would have liked if they redid Lucina's less than stellar voice work from 4. They even had an excuse with her changing VAs which Ike did too, and they even gave him two sets despite I think him having the same set for Brawl and 4. Though, not everyone is the Star Fox crew which, for better or worse, the fighters seem to have their clips redone every installment. Even if they don't actually get a new VA for some reason. Meanwhile Mario is still using his Brawl clips. Granted, it's Mario.
voice acting really does seem to be one of those ones where it was just easier for them to use older clips, you can look up the characters and so many of the veterans and reusing old clips from a previous game

Arthur97

Smash Master
voice acting really does seem to be one of those ones where it was just easier for them to use older clips, you can look up the characters and so many of the veterans and reusing old clips from a previous game
Most of them do, which makes the Star Fox crew such an anomaly. Ike too since they replaced his, but not Lucina's. Marth and Roy make sense since they finally got English VAs. Really though, for grunting characters it doesn't really matter that much. Even then for some reason they seemed to redo Ganondorf rather than reuse the Melee clips. Though maybe that has more to do with Melee as most seem to reuse from Brawl onward, but considering Captain Falcon's had the same clips from his 64 recording session, that seems unlikely. I think Young Link just uses the same clips from the N64 games and their remakes (the remakes didn't have any new voice work for Link, did they?). Zelda and Sheik got new ones I think. Makes sense for Zelda...and maybe Sheik. And I think this was actually the first time they had freshly recorded lines for Link for Smash too...not sure why they didn't just reuse BotW clips like they had done for past games though.

So, yeah, Smash voice work can be a bit weird and seemingly inconsistent. Maybe some of these anomalies have legitimate reasons, but I don't know. But, hey, at least he explained why Captain Falcon hasn't changed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Most of them do, which makes the Star Fox crew such an anomaly. Ike too since they replaced his, but not Lucina's. Marth and Roy make sense since they finally got English VAs. Really though, for grunting characters it doesn't really matter that much. Even then for some reason they seemed to redo Ganondorf rather than reuse the Melee clips. Though maybe that has more to do with Melee as most seem to reuse from Brawl onward, but considering Captain Falcon's had the same clips from his 64 recording session, that seems unlikely. I think Young Link just uses the same clips from the N64 games and their remakes (the remakes didn't have any new voice work for Link, did they?). Zelda and Sheik got new ones I think. Makes sense for Zelda...and maybe Sheik. And I think this was actually the first time they had freshly recorded lines for Link for Smash too...not sure why they didn't just reuse BotW clips like they had done for past games though.

So, yeah, Smash voice work can be a bit weird and seemingly inconsistent. Maybe some of these anomalies have legitimate reasons, but I don't know. But, hey, at least he explained why Captain Falcon hasn't changed.
it is strange, there are many things they are willing to update and many things they just leaves as they, there those with new voice clips and many who just use the same ones for the 3rd game in a row and some of them could do with an update, like bowser. but its not just voices that could do with an update i for one am tired of marios same old victory poses and toon link chasing pigs

did they explain it or they they just say it hadnt changed?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can't imagine Rex, Pyra and Mythra being included and not using new voice work.

Although that brings up a question.

When is voice work done in the development process?

I.D.

Smash Lord
I can't imagine Rex, Pyra and Mythra being included and not using new voice work.

Although that brings up a question.

When is voice work done in the development process?
Probably very early. They already had the announcer's VA reading an extensive list of names (both real and fake) of future DLC characters before Ultimate even released.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I recalled that. Specifically the Ezio part.

It's a pretty smart anti-leak tactic when you don't tell the announcer VA who is actually in, exactly. Put a few needles you need to find in a pile of them!

Also...
>Xander being completely confident that Duck Hunt was one of the fake names even if he didn't know of the ERSB incident
e8a.gif

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Unlike telling Xander Mobus to read off a selection of real and fake names pre-release as an anti-leak measure, contacting Al Weaver and Skye Bennett too early would only increase leaks' likelihood, I think.

Arthur97

Smash Master
it is strange, there are many things they are willing to update and many things they just leaves as they, there those with new voice clips and many who just use the same ones for the 3rd game in a row and some of them could do with an update, like bowser. but its not just voices that could do with an update i for one am tired of marios same old victory poses and toon link chasing pigs

did they explain it or they they just say it hadnt changed?
In the last presentation I think it was at least implied that they hadn't changed Falcon's because his VA became famous. Besides, at this point, those lines are legendary. I don't think I'd want them to change.

I wouldn't mind Toon Link getting one of the pig one's changed, but I'm pretty content with Mario's victory poses. Especially since they started using more dynamic cameras for them. Plus, I like when the original cast reference their fighter select poses (his strong man pose). In fact, I think most if not all of the perfect attendance crew reuses those poses for something. Usually victory screens, but not always. In fact, I was disappointed they got rid of Mario's original taunt. Like, at least take away the DK dying one instead.

One issue with the announcer fake lines...what if they end up adding one that wasn't on that list? Do they call him in just to do one line, or do they do a whole other list with more fakes?

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
In the last presentation I think it was at least implied that they hadn't changed Falcon's because his VA became famous. Besides, at this point, those lines are legendary. I don't think I'd want them to change.

I wouldn't mind Toon Link getting one of the pig one's changed, but I'm pretty content with Mario's victory poses. Especially since they started using more dynamic cameras for them. Plus, I like when the original cast reference their fighter select poses (his strong man pose). In fact, I think most if not all of the perfect attendance crew reuses those poses for something. Usually victory screens, but not always. In fact, I was disappointed they got rid of Mario's original taunt. Like, at least take away the DK dying one instead.

One issue with the announcer fake lines...what if they end up adding one that wasn't on that list? Do they call him in just to do one line, or do they do a whole other list with more fakes?
I think they are done when the pass is fully decided, so they have no risk of changing characters. They may also have backup first party characters in the list case anything were to happen (better be safe than sorry).

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think they are done when the pass is fully decided, so they have no risk of changing characters. They may also have backup first party characters in the list case anything were to happen (better be safe than sorry).
But it seems that pass 2 was not decided at the same time as the others, so what if they picked something they had not planned for? Since it's a Rex thread, say Rex wasn't on the list, but they decided that they could fit him in on this pass.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
His voice actor was famous before Smash, though. He was playing Vegeta roughly ten years before Smash Bros. came out.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't know if it was specifically done for Ultimate, but I assume they continued the practice from Smash 4.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3suq4x/xander_mobus_smash_4_announcer_had_no_knowledge/?
i thought reddit was not a reliable source of info

i dont think they were implying that at all

changing up the camera angles doesnt really make them any better its still the same tired old poses. personally i prefer his changed up taunts there so much more mario than whatever the deal with that trail of fire in that one victory pose is.

Arthur97

Smash Master
His voice actor was famous before Smash, though. He was playing Vegeta roughly ten years before Smash Bros. came out.
Huh, yeah. Then I wonder how they got him for such a minor role at all. Well, minor at the time at least.

i dont think they were implying that at all

changing up the camera angles doesnt really make them any better its still the same tired old poses. personally i prefer his changed up taunts there so much more mario than whatever the deal with that trail of fire in that one victory pose is.
The punching one is probably the one I would axe, but all in all, they aren't bad. I don't even think they're the worst in the game. I like keeping a certain level of nostalgia.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The punching one is probably the one I would axe, but all in all, they aren't bad. I don't even think they're the worst in the game. I like keeping a certain level of nostalgia.
sure a certain level of nostalgia is fine but some aspects in smash seem to go to far with a few things here and there not updated since brawl and certain songs getting remixed over and over

i am curious as to which you think are the worst?

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
But it seems that pass 2 was not decided at the same time as the others, so what if they picked something they had not planned for? Since it's a Rex thread, say Rex wasn't on the list, but they decided that they could fit him in on this pass.
That's another circunstance, in my opinion, because the plan B was already the backup (which is not just the names of the backup characters: it's a lot more). That would be a Plan C or Plan D situation. At the end of the day, if you need lines and you don't have them, you will call the voices to do them, no matter what. However, you should always do it in the least amount of sessions.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The comment provides a direct link to an interview with Xander Mobus, complete with a time stamp. Not sure how you can get more reliable than a direct quote from the person in question haha.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Okay looking back my previous comment doesn't make any sense but really, I don't think it matters much. You are not recording for an RPG here, you are recording for Smash. Each character has, what, a few dozen voicelines at most? Most of them miscellaneous grunts. It can easily be done in a day and whenever, really.

Arthur97

Smash Master
sure a certain level of nostalgia is fine but some aspects in smash seem to go to far with a few things here and there not updated since brawl and certain songs getting remixed over and over

i am curious as to which you think are the worst?
Lucina. Pretty bland, pretty generic camera, and feature two of the worst quotes in Smash for her special ones. Honorable mention to Chrom still being in the Robins' one. Like you said, Toon Link's pig ones aren't that great if just because there are two of them and they are so similar. I think at least one of Dark Samus' may be pretty lack luster as well. The strongman one is almost certainly Mario's strongest in my opinion thanks in part to the big jump they added. The other two are nothing to write home about, but at least they got good camera work, and may even be comparable to some of the others I mentioned, but he does at least have one I really like, and, again, the others aren't really bad except for they are a bit on the bland side for the punch and the fire one demonstrates how...janky his hand looks. Still, fire is pretty important to Mario, so him having a fire one makes a lot of sense.

That's another circunstance, in my opinion, because the plan B was already the backup (which is not just the names of the backup characters: it's a lot more). That would be a Plan C or Plan D situation. At the end of the day, if you need lines and you don't have them, you will call the voices to do them, no matter what. However, you should always do it in the least amount of sessions.
Well, yes, not having the announcer clips should not be a deal breaker, but it would mean having to call him in for one line which makes it pretty obvious what they're up to. Unless they get more fake names. Now, if they did more for Ultimate, it's entirely possible Rex was one of the fakes.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
To be honest I think the whole VA thing could be more for something like Project X Zone 3. Reading that VA's tweet didn't make me feel like it would be for smash, hell i don't think she would be even allowed to tease it if it was. That's just me anyway, I could be wrong. Just be careful with getting too much hope from her tweet. As someone who wants Lloyd, I thought Scott's teasing was for Lloyd but there's been no update on what he was teasing for all this time, hell he didn't even confirm it was for the Robin thing he did sometime later. I honestly decided to not keep my hopes up on that type of teases.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The comment provides a direct link to an interview with Xander Mobus, complete with a time stamp. Not sure how you can get more reliable than a direct quote from the person in question haha.
i mean people have been known to make up quotes before but ill take your word for it i guess

Lucina. Pretty bland, pretty generic camera, and feature two of the worst quotes in Smash for her special ones. Honorable mention to Chrom still being in the Robins' one. Like you said, Toon Link's pig ones aren't that great if just because there are two of them and they are so similar. I think at least one of Dark Samus' may be pretty lack luster as well. The strongman one is almost certainly Mario's strongest in my opinion thanks in part to the big jump they added. The other two are nothing to write home about, but at least they got good camera work, and may even be comparable to some of the others I mentioned, but he does at least have one I really like, and, again, the others aren't really bad except for they are a bit on the bland side for the punch and the fire one demonstrates how...janky his hand looks. Still, fire is pretty important to Mario, so him having a fire one makes a lot of sense.
ah, i almost never see lucinas. yeah if they just had the one pig one it would be a little less dull. i dunno the strongman one doesnt seem to great to me either, even if they just have him yell some more mario like things like have him go "wahoo!" instead of just "ha" itd be little better. certainly a bit more mario like

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be honest I think the whole VA thing could be more for something like Project X Zone 3. Reading that VA's tweet didn't make me feel like it would be for smash, hell i don't think she would be even allowed to tease it if it was. That's just me anyway, I could be wrong. Just be careful with getting too much hope from her tweet. As someone who wants Lloyd, I thought Scott's teasing was for Lloyd but there's been no update on what he was teasing for all this time, hell he didn't even confirm it was for the Robin thing he did sometime later. I honestly decided to not keep my hopes up on that type of teases.
Us Shantae fans had to deal with that in regards to Cristina Vee's supposed "big" role. Sometimes, performers get gigs for projects that ultimately fall through, and wouldn't be known for years down the road.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Wait, is 3 actually going to have English voices?

i mean people have been known to make up quotes before but ill take your word for it i guess

ah, i almost never see lucinas. yeah if they just had the one pig one it would be a little less dull. i dunno the strongman one doesnt seem to great to me either, even if they just have him yell some more mario like things like have him go "wahoo!" instead of just "ha" itd be little better. certainly a bit more mario like
Well, that's more a problem with Mario in Smash in general. He's far too angry. So, in that regard, I suppose he and Lucina share a similar fate of being out of character (and it's not like Mario has much character, and they still got it wrong). At least for the pose in question, he does a cool jump. That's part of what really sells it for me. Plus, it's his 64 pose.

Top Bottom