• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Arthur97

Smash Master
I tried to look it up, but all I could find was who designed him rather than owned him. You would think they would own the designs similar to how IS/Nintendo owns Fire Emblem characters.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Even with Nomura's involvement Square itself isn't involved with Xenoblade 2 (other than a few sneaky references to Xenogears that don't break copyright), I doubt the spirits of the Torna characters would be a problem considering Nomura is good friends with Takahashi and has already drawn art for Smash in the past.

Arthur97

Smash Master
So, if they do get in...who do you think should be used for Malos? I say Shulk or Ganondorf.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I still wonder to this day why Cloud isn't allowed to even have his own iconic artwork as a spirit. Copyright hell is apparently the reason we didn't get FFVII spirits. But Nomura is credited as the legitimate owner of FFVII's designs (If you own the Cloud amiibo you will see his name on the bottom of the base).

But besides Torna, there are a lot of Blades and characters to fill up that spirit board. inb4, the entire Xenoblade 2 party becomes an infuriating spirit battle. It's a tradition at this point.

So, if they do get in...who do you think should be used for Malos? I say Shulk or Ganondorf.
Probably Ganon or Ike, we don't have a "dark" Shulk alt to stand up for Malos. Oh, I wish we could get an echo fighter pack....

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I still wonder to this day why Cloud isn't allowed to even have his own iconic artwork as a spirit. Copyright hell is apparently the reason we didn't get FFVII spirits. But Nomura is credited as the legitimate owner of FFVII's designs (If you own the Cloud amiibo you will see his name on the bottom of the base).

But besides Torna, there are a lot of Blades and characters to fill up that spirit board. inb4, the entire Xenoblade 2 party becomes an infuriating spirit battle. It's a tradition at this point.

Probably Ganon or Ike, we don't have a "dark" Shulk alt to stand up for Malos. Oh, I wish we could get an echo fighter pack....
A full party battle could be obnoxious...let's do it!

Well, Dunban's color could probably work in a pinch. Darker colors and hair. Plus, I think Shulk works best for...other reasons.

Another thing, do you think if Rex gets in, his Amiibo will be just him, or have at least one of Pyra or Mythra? They've crammed both Ice Climbers onto one, but they're kind of small already. As much as I'd love to have Pyra on it as well, I doubt they'd do it.

I.D.

Smash Lord
A full party battle could be obnoxious...let's do it!

Well, Dunban's color could probably work in a pinch. Darker colors and hair. Plus, I think Shulk works best for...other reasons.

Another thing, do you think if Rex gets in, his Amiibo will be just him, or have at least one of Pyra or Mythra? They've crammed both Ice Climbers onto one, but they're kind of small already. As much as I'd love to have Pyra on it as well, I doubt they'd do it.
Galaxy brain: Rex is the reason Sakurai said he wasn't sure all DLC characters would get amiibos

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Depends on the Smash Render chosen. But on the other side, they could intentionally leave Pyra/Mythra out of the render in the game, just to save amiibo costs.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Wooo, my hopes are rising for a Xeno character considering the new Spirit Board news! Rex & Pyra/Mythra are my most wanted but I definitely wouldn't say no to an XBC1 rep, Elma or a Saga rep in KOS-MOS. Let's not give up :)

Arthur97

Smash Master
They could, but they generally throw them in. Plus, I'm hoping they get different colors too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
no i credits the design to him not the ownership

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't see how this affects KOS-MOS at all. Also, reminder that the two are separate series and shouldn't be mutually exclusive.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
At this point, a KOS-MOS for Namco rep or Rex is very likely, i think in 80% for Rex and 50% or 60% for KOS-MOS
I don't know if I'd call KOS-MOS the most likely Namco rep, but Heihachi's soft deconfirmation today definitely improves her chances. I'd still say Lloyd, Nightmare, or different reps from their respective series are more likely as a Namco fighter, but we'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic right now, but I'm not really getting my hopes up until Lloyd's costume returns.

Speaking of costumes, this continued trend of Mii costumes standing in for popular fighter requests definitely doesn't help Rex. I know Sakurai said that he wanted to him and didn't have time, but it's feeling more and more like the window for Rex might have passed. I love him, but it's hard not to be pessimistic.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Hey now, I"m the thread's resident pessimist.

I think one different to remember is how early Rex's outfit was. Like I've said before intent might mean more than content. Like with spirits. They were not initially planned for it, so they put something else in. That clearly changed for Min Min. And, to be fair, they never said Spring Man didn't make it because of being an assist (still with it was him or a composite fighter like Hero).

QJD1381

Smash Apprentice
So Cuphead's spirit battle is going to be updated to use his Mii costume if purchased. If those who have Rex's Mii costume play his spirit battle, surely the same thing would happen, according to Sakurai. But what if it doesn't? Could that be a possible hint that a proper Rex will be playable in the future?

Arthur97

Smash Master
That's an interesting point. Maybe it will maybe it won't. Then again, will Min Min's change to actually be Min Min? If it does and Rex's still changes, that might not bode well for him, but if it doesn't change, then it shouldn't matter either way.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So Cuphead's spirit battle is going to be updated to use his Mii costume if purchased. If those who have Rex's Mii costume play his spirit battle, surely the same thing would happen, according to Sakurai. But what if it doesn't? Could that be a possible hint that a proper Rex will be playable in the future?
Cuphead's spirit battle (along with Mugman's) already does that.

Source: I have the Cuphead costume.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yes, but he said they might plan to do more like that in the future, so more may be changed in the future. Though, the fact Rex's doesn't already may be a decent enough sigh if they've already changed Cuphead's.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
If this pass is mostly first party like we’ve apparently been hearing then that’s pretty great news for Rex.

I feel like an ARMS rep was in the same boat as Rex where Sakurai wanted to add them but didn’t have the time and wasn’t expecting to do a second pass. Now that he is I feel like Rex is a done deal. Especially with the Xenoblade series really doing well now.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Do we have any confirmation that it's mostly first party? People were assuming pass one was guaranteed to be third party it seemed, and, well, look how that turned out for them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Now that spirits are on the table, I feel confident that Rex is the most likely first party newcomer.

Let's just wait and see what happens.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Whether if it's Rex & Pyra or Elma I think we might be getting another Xenoblade rep.
There's also Jin, while Torna was a stand alone expansion. Its still technically the most recent entry not counting DE in the series and Jin was the co-protagonist of the game along with being one of the main villains of Xenoblade 2.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Jin seems like a stretch. Sure, it was technically a stand alone game, but it is still at its core a smaller (and padded) expansion of 2. Besides, Rex has a trump card: Pyra and Mythra. A not insignificant chunk of people probably want Rex just for them. So, essentially he grants three relatively popular characters for the price of one.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I don't see how this affects KOS-MOS at all. Also, reminder that the two are separate series and shouldn't be mutually exclusive.
With Heihachi most likely out, KOS-MOS has the advantage for being the Namco rep, because she is Namco's crossover queen, and if Sakurai for example would ask Takahashi for a new Xeno rep(like what happend for Min Min), Takahashi most likely pushes for her, because Monolith always considerd her the mascot, but the mascot that was trapped in legal rights, plus the fact KOS-MOS is Takahashi and his wife's brainchild

Still Xenoblade 2 should not be underestimated either, considering just like Arms would have made it into base if it had better timing and Min Min's spirit board proves we can fill the majority of it with old XB2 spirits

Or only hurdle I guess is the Mii costume now, but unless its a 3rd party Mii Costume (like Heihachi), I still feel we have a chance, plus Rex's Mii Costume was a base costume promoted last minute as the FP1 bonus

Arthur97

Smash Master
With Heihachi most likely out, KOS-MOS has the advantage for being the Namco rep, because she is Namco's crossover queen, and if Sakurai for example would ask Takahashi for a new Xeno rep(like what happend for Min Min), Takahashi most likely pushes for her, because Monolith always considerd her the mascot, but the mascot that was trapped in legal rights, plus the fact KOS-MOS is Takahashi and his wife's brainchild

Still Xenoblade 2 should not be underestimated either, considering just like Arms would have made it into base if it had better timing and Min Min's spirit board proves we can fill the majority of it with old XB2 spirits

Or only hurdle I guess is the Mii costume now, but unless its a 3rd party Mii Costume (like Heihachi), I still feel we have a chance, plus Rex's Mii Costume was a base costume promoted last minute as the FP1 bonus
Oh, I guess that makes sense, but I think Lloyd shouldn't be underestimated. I think he's fairly popular as far as Tales protagonists go, Tales is generally higher profile, and he did debut on the GameCube I think. I'd personally take him over any remaining Namco reps.

Takahashi isn't really in a place to be asked about KOS-MOS. People still seem to operate under this assumption they are all the same. If he's asked about one, it probably won't be for a "Xeno" rep, but rather, a Xenoblade rep. Also, bear in mind that it's a different scenario. It's not picking one out of several possible picks for one game, it's picking essentially between protagonists of different games. Perhaps more to the point, picking a game. Plus, they have different abilities and so forth. Maybe his favorite Xenoblade character is a party member, well, that won't work as good as they aren't "all the protagonists." Nevermind how much of a cop out line that seems like.

In the end, whichever happens, KOS-MOS would be repping a new series, and it would mean that Xenoblade is once again hardly rewarded for its success. The series has done well, and it should be rewarded like they did with Fire Emblem. As it stands, Earthbound/Mother has more fighters cult classic or no.

Last edited:

max_0888

Smash Cadet
I believe Rex has a fair shot. Hopefully both Pyra and Mythra will be available to choose from as a blade. I think Mythra is popular enough to warrant a second skin to Pyra like Hero.
Rex has the potential to have a really unique move set

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I can't see them not including both Pyra and Mythra. They're an easy way to represent Blade Switching without actually implementing multiple different movesets (which increases the workload way too much), just by changing the properties of Rex's attacks depending on which one is following him. So much of XB2's combat relies on timing attacks with Arts/switches/specials and different properties on attacks per Blade helps incentivize each of them.

I kinda imagine Pyra granting a generous sour spot and lingering hitboxes because of her fire, sort of like "training wheels mode" that helps keep out opponents and rack up damage. While Mythra has a tipper that requires but rewards precise hits. Going back to Blade Switching, this could allow you to use Pyra to set up a kill that you use Mythra to follow through with. Pyra's Blade Specials could have utility use for beating out obnoxious projectiles while Mythra's are good for hard punishes or off-stage kills.

The way Minmin was implemented has bolstered my confidence that Sakurai can do a Rex moveset that isn't some boring Pokemon Trainer affair. A moveset where Pyra/Mythra never touch the Aegis Sword is not a very good XB2 moveset at all imo.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can't see them not including both Pyra and Mythra. They're an easy way to represent Blade Switching without actually implementing multiple different movesets (which increases the workload way too much), just by changing the properties of Rex's attacks depending on which one is following him. So much of XB2's combat relies on timing attacks with Arts/switches/specials and different properties on attacks per Blade helps incentivize each of them.

I kinda imagine Pyra granting a generous sour spot and lingering hitboxes because of her fire, sort of like "training wheels mode" that helps keep out opponents and rack up damage. While Mythra has a tipper that requires but rewards precise hits. Going back to Blade Switching, this could allow you to use Pyra to set up a kill that you use Mythra to follow through with. Pyra's Blade Specials could have utility use for beating out obnoxious projectiles while Mythra's are good for hard punishes or off-stage kills.

The way Minmin was implemented has bolstered my confidence that Sakurai can do a Rex moveset that isn't some boring Pokemon Trainer affair. A moveset where Pyra/Mythra never touch the Aegis Sword is not a very good XB2 moveset at all imo.
That sounds like an awesome way to incorporate Rex and Pyra/Mythra.

I honestly love this idea. It's true to XC2 while allowing for a new gameplay style in Smash.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
I like that idea. Good thinking. I prefer a moveset that includes both Mythra and Pyra than having to choose between the two as alternative skin.

my hopes are really high. Rex has a big shot to be one of the 5 remaining fighters

I.D.

Smash Lord

I don't even know why so many people doubt Mythra or reduce her to an alternate skin. Yeah, saying Rex & Pyra & Mythra is a mouthful, but it seems obvious to me the three would come together.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Ehhh, after seeing what's happened between Lucina and Marth, trying to make this kind of distinction seems like it'd make it too easy to make one the clear favorite choice in all situations. I would prefer the distinction reflect their stats in 2 proper; namely Mythra granting extra speed as an evasion analogue, while Pyra deals heavy hits, possibly with more range.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Sakurai wanted ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 character in Smash.
Time was a problem.
Not anymore.
We have ARMS character.
Spirits do not disconfirm.

What happens next?

Yes. We will get Rex & Pyra/Mythra in FP2. I'm very optimistic.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, I kind of see Pyra as a slower with maybe more range attack perhaps with more damage (or at least high knock back) to compensate even if that's not technically lore accurate while Mythra is the speedy combo side of things. So, the simple gameplan might be to rack up damage with Mythra and finish them off with Pyra which, I think may be close to the "optimal" way to use them in 2 anyway.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
To be honest I stopped playing Xenoblade 2 a while back at the end of chapter 7 at the battle with Malos and Jin.

I decided to start again and finally got around to beat them. And I must say I’ve been loving the game even more.

Mythra is definitely my fave character and I can clearly understand how all three of them needs to be in the same movesets. Rex, Pyra and Mythra could become one of the most original smash fighter.
Here’s hoping

Top Bottom