• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ever heard of a Easter Egg? They really shouldn't be looked into too heavily. You can't just assume they're the same universe because of a reference. There's a Yoshi doll in one of the Metal Gear Solid games (Nintendo version), who knows how many things Sonic has cameoed in at this point. There was a Mario 64 poster in a Hyrule Castle window in OoT. Samus was in Mario RPG. There were several things from other series in The Great Cave Offensive. Does this mean they're all in the same universe too?
I know what a easter egg is and I am not assuming those franchises are part of the same universe just because of the KOS-MOS cameo in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. You know they all have the word Xeno in it you know and all 3 franchises were created by the same people.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade are all in the same universe despite being owned by Square-Enix, Namco, and Nintendo right?
the three xenoblades arent even in the same universe

I know what a easter egg is and I am not assuming those franchises are part of the same universe just because of the KOS-MOS cameo in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. You know they all have the word Xeno in it you know and all 3 franchises were created by the same people.
you might as well say that both mario and smash are in the same world cause they both start with smash or that mario and zelda are in the same world cause they were made by same guy. and surely kos-mos being a blade proves that she cant be the same one from the other games

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

you might as well say that both mario and smash are in the same world cause they both start with smash or that mario and zelda are in the same world cause they were made by same guy. and surely kos-mos being a blade proves that she cant be the same one from the other games
You know it's no big deal to make a fuss about as I was just asking a simple question on whether all 3 Xeno franchises existed in the same universe or not.

I.D.

Smash Lord
For the record Takahashi occasionally refers to a broader "Xeno" series in interviews, I honestly don't think he gives a ****, he's just gonna keep doing what he always has

It seemed as though this project was announced by Iwata as a completely new game series, so why did you retroactively make this part of the Xenoblade line?
Tetsuya Takahashi: So as it turns out, the idea of it being part of “Xeno” was always there. I have to clarify a little bit because not in the sense that it’s a sequel to the previous game but rather it is a new series that is still “Xeno”. That's how I was thinking of it.
https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...es-and-his-favorite-rpgs.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

They even added a red X to the title drop of Definitive Edition that looks pretty reminiscent of Xenogears.

And I have to say one thing... even if you don't think they should be "bundled together", if you are going to keep acting so uptight about this to the point you lash out at anyone that mentions them together you are going to have a bad time from now on. Why? Because as Xenoblade's popularity increases, so does Monolith's, and as their popularity increases so does people's curiosity for their past work. I've been observing this in the Xenoblade fanbase for a while, people are unmistakably getting more and more curious about Gears and Saga, not unlike Nier suddenly making people a lot more interested in Drakengard.

But uhhh this is off-topic so here's a picture of Pyra dabbing

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think the Xeno series will be forever tied together by themes and cameos, but never a direct impact on the plot.

Xenoblade is its own thing and its stories are gonna reflect that even if we get some hype Xenosaga references.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
For the record Takahashi occasionally refers to a broader "Xeno" series in interviews, I honestly don't think he gives a ****, he's just gonna keep doing what he always has

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...es-and-his-favorite-rpgs.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

They even added a red X to the title drop of Definitive Edition that looks pretty reminiscent of Xenogears.

And I have to say one thing... even if you don't think they should be "bundled together", if you are going to keep acting so uptight about this to the point you lash out at anyone that mentions them together you are going to have a bad time from now on. Why? Because as Xenoblade's popularity increases, so does Monolith's, and as their popularity increases so does people's curiosity for their past work. I've been observing this in the Xenoblade fanbase for a while, people are unmistakably getting more and more curious about Gears and Saga, not unlike Nier suddenly making people a lot more interested in Drakengard.

well that came across as very patronising

Arthur97

Smash Master

Considering the original Xenoblade wasn't even going to have Xeno in the title...eh.... Plus, devs sometimes say stuff that doesn't always make sense. Like Sakurai saying that both versions of Smash 4 were actually Smash 4 and Smash 5 even though most people would probably just consider them different versions of the same game kind of like with Pokemon.

He may keep a lot of stylistic choices (a lot), but, again, same creator is probably going to have a similar style, but that doesn't mean they're the same. Even if he wants them to be, as it stands, he legally can't have them be the same. Laws do matter no matter how much fandom seems to think they don't.

And the fandom lumping them together (thanks in part likely to those already there that lump them, and the somewhat misleading naming methodology) doesn't magically change the facts. And lumping can lead to things like people thinking KOS-MOS would be a sufficient XC2 rep.
Eh....ur...

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I wonder how much X and 2 are going to show up in Future Connected, people on Twitter already theorizing about a potential link to X so that's cool.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

Staarih

Smash Master
There’s also this promo offer for getting both XC2 and XCDE in Japan. Guess they just want to capitalize on the franchise, which has really bloomed on the Switch. XC2 keeps still selling at full price, and XCDE will likely do very well as well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The redraw Sailor Moon trend meets Xenoblade

that does not match her accent at all

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There’s also this promo offer for getting both XC2 and XCDE in Japan. Guess they just want to capitalize on the franchise, which has really bloomed on the Switch. XC2 keeps still selling at full price, and XCDE will likely do very well as well.
How much has Xenoblade 2 sold as of now?

I.D.

Smash Lord
In case you are not aware, game has already leaked, some people have downloaded it and are playing right now

Future Connected doesn't directly tie into XB2 since it's a story about Melia (even Shulk himself is mostly just along for the ride) but it's strongly implied the Fog King seen in trailers is a Guldo from the old world, that those portals are somehow connected to.
Shulk's Monado replica is very blatantly based on Pyra's sword
1590427613507.png
Its name is "Monado Replica EX"
Its description reads: "Developed under Shulk's guidance. Monado Replica EX, or REX for short."

It's still unknown if the Experiment scene has been modified or how much since nobody has beaten the main game yet.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
It's a bit disappointing that there aren't closer ties, but the Rex call back is nice (how is that the first game is starting to sound more like a sequel?), though I doubt the Land of Challenge is canon, but it'd be kind of cool if he literally based it off Pyra's Aegis sword design. And considering what the Monado likely is now, it kind of fits.

Still, if there are portals to the old world, and they are setting up for the future of Xenoblade like in that statement, then this could be big for XC3. Maybe the idea of both protagonists in it isn't so far fetched. Now that could be exciting. Maybe Rex isn't done yet even if I doubt either would be the main protagonists of such a game. I would also love if they explored Pyra some more since she spent pretty much her entire existence under Mythra's shadow and bearing her burden. It could be nice to see how she develops now that she's free both figuratively and literally in that she has her own body.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
They apparently did add all 3 Trinity processors (Pneuma, Ontos and Malos's core crystals) and the Conduit to the experiment scene from the original game, plus Future Connected has enemies that are theorised to be the same species as the Infernal Guldo.

Xenoblade X yet again looks to be ignored though, so yeah I feel at this point Takahashi has to come clean whats up with that game series at this point

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
To be fair, X very much seems to be a completely separate continuity. 1 and 2 are very much connected as 2 very bluntly indicates by outright having Shulk's line in the finale.

Also, did they confirm that Alvis is Ontos?

I.D.

Smash Lord
It's a bit disappointing that there aren't closer ties, but the Rex call back is nice (how is that the first game is starting to sound more like a sequel?), though I doubt the Land of Challenge is canon, but it'd be kind of cool if he literally based it off Pyra's Aegis sword design. And considering what the Monado likely is now, it kind of fits.

Still, if there are portals to the old world, and they are setting up for the future of Xenoblade like in that statement, then this could be big for XC3. Maybe the idea of both protagonists in it isn't so far fetched. Now that could be exciting. Maybe Rex isn't done yet even if I doubt either would be the main protagonists of such a game. I would also love if they explored Pyra some more since she spent pretty much her entire existence under Mythra's shadow and bearing her burden. It could be nice to see how she develops now that she's free both figuratively and literally in that she has her own body.
Don't be disappointed, nobody (I hope) was seriously expecting Rex to come out of the portal and say to Shulk "I guess we both were the real Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: Future Connected™ all along", what we got was more or less what I was expecting and confirmed what some people thought about the black creature that appeared in trailers.

Right now in the Elma thread they are coping super hard by accusing my post of "reaching", even though I just objectively reported on a fun little reference and a tie-in to the old world, since there is absolutely nothing in the game that references Elma or XBX.

I guess they have to take what little victories they can get :laugh:

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Don't be disappointed, nobody (I hope) was seriously expecting Rex to come out of the portal and say to Shulk "I guess we both were the real Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition: Future Connected™ all along", what we got was more or less what I was expecting and confirmed what some people thought about the black creature that appeared in trailers.

Right now in the Elma thread they are coping super hard by accusing my post of "reaching", even though I just objectively reported on a fun little reference and a tie-in to the old world, since there is absolutely nothing in the game that references Elma or XBX.

I guess they have to take what little victories they can get :laugh:
I mean, it makes more sense to have connections to 2 for obvious reasons. While it may not have anything directly relating to Rex, this could lay the ground work for a sequel to both games in the future. Again though, I imagine the protagonist would be a third person. Perhaps with the other two showing up at points. Or, to go off the duality, make it so you play as both of them. Now, I may be reaching, but hopefully they aren't setting this up for nothing.

Though, I am kind of annoyed by all the people heralding XC1 as the best game ever. Especially as someone who prefers 2. It's especially bad if they badmouth 2 as well.

Either way, given the direction they seem to be taking series, it could bode well for Rex. Won't be getting anything in time to match the hype though. Not unless they decide to do DLC which they haven't announced.

Unfortunately, we don't really have much of a clue when they'll be announcing anything new.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I mean, it makes more sense to have connections to 2 for obvious reasons. While it may not have anything directly relating to Rex, this could lay the ground work for a sequel to both games in the future. Again though, I imagine the protagonist would be a third person. Perhaps with the other two showing up at points. Or, to go off the duality, make it so you play as both of them. Now, I may be reaching, but hopefully they aren't setting this up for nothing.

Though, I am kind of annoyed by all the people heralding XC1 as the best game ever. Especially as someone who prefers 2. It's especially bad if they badmouth 2 as well.

Either way, given the direction they seem to be taking series, it could bode well for Rex. Won't be getting anything in time to match the hype though. Not unless they decide to do DLC which they haven't announced.

Unfortunately, we don't really have much of a clue when they'll be announcing anything new.
There's something else, apparently there are 10 challenge battles in the game, unlocked at certain points in the story (one of them unlocked by beating FC). However there are 10 additional unused slots for these challenge battles, might indicate some minor DLC or whatever. Also Tora appears in the art book for whatever reason.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Huh, I can hope for a legacy battle or two. Having Shulk as a blade was cool and all, but why couldn't we fight him for fun?

The Tora thing is weird. Are you sure its actually him? Course, it isn't talked about as much, but Riki was in 2's DLC too. Tatsu too.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well i read somewhere on twitter that XB2 was charting high in sales on the eShop with the XC1 promotion and all that, i'm really crossing my fingers now lol, i wanted to mention that a Rex DLC without Torna and Future Connected Battle Themes would be criminal, here give it a listen one more time and imagine fighting while this song plays:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Unfortunately, current sales don't really matter. Still, maybe Monolith is up to something big with their next game.

Let's focus on missing music from 2 first though. I still don't know why they didn't put Counterattack. Roaming the Wastes should get in two. If Gaur Plains can (both day and night I think) surely we can have such an awesome overworld theme.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Unfortunately, current sales don't really matter. Still, maybe Monolith is up to something big with their next game.

Let's focus on missing music from 2 first though. I still don't know why they didn't put Counterattack. Roaming the Wastes should get in two. If Gaur Plains can (both day and night I think) surely we can have such an awesome overworld theme.
i dunno sometimes we just end up with more the same song, wouldnt surprise me if rex got in and it was just the same songs

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Did anyone else get a survey from Nintendo of Europe about buying XCDE? It asked me about my history with the Xenoblade franchise and other JRPGS on the Switch, also specifically asking if I'd bought XCDE because of XC2.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Did anyone else get a survey from Nintendo of Europe about buying XCDE? It asked me about my history with the Xenoblade franchise and other JRPGS on the Switch, also specifically asking if I'd bought XCDE because of XC2.
they send those out all the time

zumaddy

Smash Ace
they send those out all the time
Yeah I've had a few Switch surveys before but never one that a) was asking about one specific game and b) asked if i'd played the others in the series. Guess I've been missing them?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah I've had a few Switch surveys before but never one that a) was asking about one specific game and b) asked if i'd played the others in the series. Guess I've been missing them?
I think I’ve had some like that, I know the amiibo one asks what kind of amiibo you’d like to see

Arthur97

Smash Master
i dunno sometimes we just end up with more the same song, wouldnt surprise me if rex got in and it was just the same songs
Remixes could be fun, but we only have like 3 XC2 songs. Besides, TH got more music despite the series already having songs.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Remixes could be fun, but we only have like 3 XC2 songs. Besides, TH got more music despite the series already having songs.
i was just musing on how some series tend to remix the same songs. a lot i hope we get new songs

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Xenoblade's 10th anniversary being celebrated with art of all three games by CHOCO!
Did you say... chocolate?

Top Bottom