• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
It still seems weird that that would be their party make up for it. It's also possible they are withholding a certain member for spoiler reasons (even though most of us probably know by now). It's also not unheard of to have NPCs with weapons. We just don't know enough to make statements with certainty. You don't know. I don't know. Especially to go as far as to say they're a two in one deal. It's also entirely possible that the rest of crew shows up later for all the talk of it just being Shulk and Melia. We just don't know enough.
We're talking about something completely different for sure. For all we know, a familiar character could pop up. We'll just have to play it for ourselves to really know.

Arthur97

Smash Master
WHAT!?!? You mean they DIDN'T want to spoil the new content before the game came out!? PERISH THE THOUGHT!!!!!!
Well, they seem intent on even not spoiling something that has been spoiled by Smash itself. Seriously, why even bother pretending its secret anymore?

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Xenoblade not getting FP2 representation when DE is one of two noticeable Nintendo releases for the entire first half of 2020 (and when the rest of it may just be Mario rehashes but possibly not even until Q4) will truly be a crime.

There are some who say it only makes logical sense for the Xenoblade fighter to represent DE for this reason, but aside from the fact that there's no way Future Connected wouldn't suffer from Too New Syndrome, wouldn't Nintendo logically want people ALSO buying and playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 after finishing a remake of its predecessor...? I think people are really forgetting that a numbered sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles is available for purchase on the same system, lol.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It doesn't even have to be strictly related. ARMS, unless they got a sequel announcement up their sleeves, has mostly run its course for now. Terry was...Terry.

Though, I kind of hope it may be an unfinished business pack.

scaPEGoat ~

Smash Cadet
right now Rex is the best choice for another xenoblade representative

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, I would hope not. The two were in pretty similar situations it seems. Though, I doubt he'd be the second fighter either. I'm guessing something from Mario will be after ARMS because of the 35th anniversary. Maybe Paper Mario if the rumors of a new game are true.

D

Deleted member

Oh and of course you guys have my support as well for Rex & Pyra.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Rex would be super fun and I think he's in a better spot than most right now.

I know the Mii costume is pretty damning but I feel good about his chances.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
Rex would be super fun and I think he's in a better spot than most right now.

I know the Mii costume is pretty damning but I feel good about his chances.
The costume actually meant nothing but an increase towards his chances in the first place.

Arthur97

Smash Master
We've gone over the Mii costumes, but they very well could be outdated depending on if Pass 2 wasn't planned. Besides, when you have fighters with costumes already, it isn't the biggest deal in the world. I wouldn't say it helps his chances either though.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We've gone over the Mii costumes, but they very well could be outdated depending on if Pass 2 wasn't planned.
That's the tricky part.

If FP2 was planned way back when, then Rex has a problem.

If FP2 is a chance to revisit ideas, then Rex has a great shot.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That's the tricky part.

If FP2 was planned way back when, then Rex has a problem.

If FP2 is a chance to revisit ideas, then Rex has a great shot.
FP2 was obviously planned after the game came out. This is why we're getting an ARMS characters when they couldn't be added for the main game.

Arthur97

Smash Master
True. I'm generally of the persuasion it was planned after, but without an official statement, we can't be 100% sure. My main concern is simply whether or not they pick him. ARMS is a great start and bodes well, be we'll just have to wait and see.

I've also been thinking about what his classic mode route would be. I don't think they've done an RPG focused one. Might could be that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I use to be just supportive of Elma and KOS-MOS when it came to any Xenoverse characters, but now I'm more open to Rex & Pyra getting in over either of them because I think it's unfair that Xenoblade only has one rep in Smash while Fire Emblem has freaking 8 two being newcomers in Ultimate. At this point, I just want another Xenoblade or Xenoverse rep.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
FP2 was obviously planned after the game came out. This is why we're getting an ARMS characters when they couldn't be added for the main game.
That might be trickier to pin point that we imagine.

The lack of ARMS music may be that Nintendo intended to use the IP for DLC at some point.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I use to be just supportive of Elma and KOS-MOS when it came to any Xenoverse characters, but now I'm more open to Rex & Pyra getting in over either of them because I think it's unfair that Xenoblade only has one rep in Smash while Fire Emblem has freaking 8 two being newcomers in Ultimate. At this point, I just want another Xenoblade or Xenoverse rep.
you shouldnt really bundle them together

I.D.

Smash Lord

The lack of ARMS music may be that Nintendo intended to use the IP for DLC at some point.
So mii costumes and spirits are okay, but music has to be held back? I've seen this sentiment pop up elsewhere (the Elma thread of course) and the notion that XB2 can't get in because of a couple unremixed songs out of like the 120 options it has (compared to ARMS which has around 50 songs), it just reeks of yet another silly fanrule.

It's funny because I used to insist on these forums that the second season was probably planned from the very beginning and pretty much nobody agreed with me. Now that I've changed my mind, since the ARMS reveal of course, now I start seeing people agree with that idea, even though evidence for it is weaker than ever. It's not just Sakurai straight up saying ARMS couldn't make it to base game due to timing, there's also stuff like the Rare interview about how Banjo in Smash talks started to happen around the E3 of 2018 giving you a rough idea of how far in advance Nintendo plans the selection of DLC characters, there's also details like Nintendo being able to confirm new characters were happening but not how many or how they would be sold until a few months later.

Personally I don't see any reason to doubt the second season wasn't planned at the beginning at this point. The notion that Nintendo had already decided they were going to release X ARMS character 2 years in advance and asked Sakurai to hold back on music (but NOT on spirits, mii costumes and even an assist trophy) just feels unrealistic when even characters like Banjo were negotiated some months in advance at most.

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice

I dont think that. If they really intended that they would not have made the face of ARMS into a assist trophy.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215

The same could be said about XC2, the core songs are missing from the game and I always felt the choices were odd. No Gormott, no Counterattack which I'd argue are some of the two most iconic tracks in XC2.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Bundle what together? Rex and Pyra? Xenoblade and Fire Emblem? Or Xenoblade and Xenosaga?
Probably the latter. They are not the same series even if they have similarities. The Fire Emblem series creator went on to make a very similar series, but that ain't Fire Emblem (even if the wiki for some reason includes it). Treating Xenoblade like its the same series akin to Mega Man and Mega Man X when they aren't even owned by the same people is a bit much.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Probably the latter. They are not the same series even if they have similarities. The Fire Emblem series creator went on to make a very similar series, but that ain't Fire Emblem (even if the wiki for some reason includes it). Treating Xenoblade like its the same series akin to Mega Man and Mega Man X when they aren't even owned by the same people is a bit much.
Well despite Xenoblade being owned by Nintendo and Xenosaga being owned by Namco, I do think both franchises exist in the same universe since Namco allowed KOS-MOS to be in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well despite Xenoblade being owned by Nintendo and Xenosaga being owned by Namco, I do think both franchises exist in the same universe since Namco allowed KOS-MOS to be in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Man, this series is complicated. And we haven't even brought up Xenogears yet...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade are all in the same universe despite being owned by Square-Enix, Namco, and Nintendo right?
Last time I checked, it was something like that. Problem is, unless it's a crossover (i.e. Project X Zone), they can't directly reference each other. Then again, Namco let KOS-MOS appear in XC2, so who knows?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Last time I checked, it was something like that. Problem is, unless it's a crossover (i.e. Project X Zone), they can't directly reference each other. Then again, Namco let KOS-MOS appear in XC2, so who knows?
That makes sense. It's just not legally referenceable because of legal mumbo.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ever heard of a Easter Egg? They really shouldn't be looked into too heavily. You can't just assume they're the same universe because of a reference. There's a Yoshi doll in one of the Metal Gear Solid games (Nintendo version), who knows how many things Sonic has cameoed in at this point. There was a Mario 64 poster in a Hyrule Castle window in OoT. Samus was in Mario RPG. There were several things from other series in The Great Cave Offensive. Does this mean they're all in the same universe too?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ever heard of a Easter Egg? They really shouldn't be looked into too heavily. You can't just assume they're the same universe because of a reference. There's a Yoshi doll in one of the Metal Gear Solid games (Nintendo version), who knows how many things Sonic has cameoed in at this point. There was a Mario 64 poster in a Hyrule Castle window in OoT. Samus was in Mario RPG. There were several things from other series in The Great Cave Offensive. Does this mean they're all in the same world too?
Am I allowed to make a Smash joke?

Top Bottom