• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

scaPEGoat ~

Smash Cadet
Monolith Soft has its importance, I am sure they will gain some representative as DLC in Smash. About Rex and Elma, important characters who have spirit and are being represented in some other way. Hard to believe that they saw it as a DLC yet

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I also had trouble with that section of the game. Due to time constraints it took me a few days to get past all the monsters to Umon. The vague directions don't help either.

You should be able to kite and avoid the monsters around the path to Umon's shipyard. The direction is basically correct but it can be a bit frustrating to follow.

The Tora Tora minigame can be annoying. Although you should be able to get a perfect lvl 1 Pacifist run even at this point of the game.

I ended up looking at YouTube guides a few times when I played.
I wasn't even aware that a pacifist run of Tora Tora was an option, though I have enough trouble with playing through that minigame on Easy, let alone trying to get a pacifist run. (I either run out of air before I reach the bottom, or I die on the way up)
Can you be more specific? Do you mean reaching Umon's house in the first place or are you already in the quest for building a ship proper?

Also you have to press Y while holding R to cycle through targets (if that's what you were asking).
I'm at the ship-building part. There's four quest items in the north part of the map, but I can't get up there between the confusing geography, the groups of level 35-40 enemies, and the roaming level 75-80 enemies that can show up seemingly out of nowhere.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't remember Gormott being hard so much as tedious. I just kind of wanted out of there by the end (and it's one of the areas they brought back for Torna, oh joy). Rotbart also didn't really give me trouble. I think I saw him like one time before I hunted him down and killed him, and that time I think I just saw him and noped out of there. It was the birds that gave me issue on the way to Torigoth.

If I recall correctly, the items you're looking for are in a "secret" area you get to by climbing. I don't remember it being swamped with that high level of enemies. If I had to guess, you're in the wrong spot. I think there were mostly Tirkin in that area if it helps.

Now, back to speculation, if there is a March Direct as rumored, I think it's decently likely we'll get XC:DE news. If that's the case, do you think they'd reveal Rex? I kind of doubt he'd be the first one, but who knows at this point.

Last edited:

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
I'm at the ship-building part. There's four quest items in the north part of the map, but I can't get up there between the confusing geography, the groups of level 35-40 enemies, and the roaming level 75-80 enemies that can show up seemingly out of nowhere.
I think I know what you mean now. You have to go up through a path on one of the huge roots that connect to the area where the 4 items are marked. If you see tirkins (little humanoid bird creatures that should be around your level) then you should be on the right path. A tip for navigating the maps in case you haven't realized, clearer color indicates higher altitude and vice versa.

By the way you don't have to play Tiger Tiger if you don't want to since you get more party members. I myself almost completely ignored it on my first playthrough. Tora and Poppi are pretty convenient at some points however, so keep it in mind.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just met Vandham - going by that fight (and the fights nearby it), I'm at roughly the right level for this point in the story, though I'm not strong enough to fight unique/named monsters, even if they're at the same level as the monsters around them.

Thanks for the help, everyone! In particular, if I hadn't know about leveling up at an inn, this would have been MUCH more frustrating. (though I still find it to be a dumb system - why do you have to pay money to level up, instead of handling it how every other RPG has handled it since (at least) Dragon Quest ONE?)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I just met Vandham - going by that fight (and the fights nearby it), I'm at roughly the right level for this point in the story, though I'm not strong enough to fight unique/named monsters, even if they're at the same level as the monsters around them.

Thanks for the help, everyone! In particular, if I hadn't know about leveling up at an inn, this would have been MUCH more frustrating. (though I still find it to be a dumb system - why do you have to pay money to level up, instead of handling it how every other RPG has handled it since (at least) Dragon Quest ONE?)
Because money makes the world go around, don'tcha know?

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
You still level up normally like in any other RPG, inns are just the place where you can spend extra exp you get from things like sidequests if you feel like you are underleveled.

Should also point out that in a game where you automatically heal up outside of battle there would be little point in having traditional inns.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Plus, the inns aren't even that expensive. Just sell a little as, yeah, your inventory will probably end up filled with duplicate equipment and such (here's a tip: I think the same named item will sell for the same amount regardless of rarity so you can chuck the lower rarity versions, you get money and you build up the area you sell it in). Plus, later down the road, you get to do it for 1 G at a certain place. The system allows for you to pick whether you want quests to level you up or not as some players complain about being overleveled from doing quests. In the NG+ they also allow you to level down and convert EXP to bonus EXP as it is used as a currency of sorts as well. Though, the game tells you about inns within the first couple hours. How did you not know about them?

As for unique monsters, yeah, they are generally stronger than their level may imply. It's probably best if you wait until you're a decent few levels higher than them for the time being. Or just ignore them.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Now, back to speculation, if there is a March Direct as rumored, I think it's decently likely we'll get XC:DE news. If that's the case, do you think they'd reveal Rex? I kind of doubt he'd be the first one, but who knows at this point.
My take is no. I find it unlikely that they would "overshadow" essentially what's likely to be a first gameplay trailer for XCDE with a DLC reveal for smash at the end. My expectation is that Rex and Aegis are most likely to find their best opportunity for a smash reveal following the reveal of them cameoing in XCDE in a similar way Shulk Fiora and Elma did in the land of challenge DLC. Add to that the inferred delay of Smash DLC by Sakurai and the rumored May release of XCDE.. I think any such reveal is probably at least that far away. Maybe longer if they have other plans for how they want to do their digital conference that would've fallen within the e3 timeframe.

Just a feeling though. I'd be totally down for Rex and Aegis sooner than later not to mention "at all", but not really feeling the suggested timeline fits personally if I'm trying to make predictions.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, the delays may not affect when they are announced (if anything, some news might be nice), so I'm going as if nothing happened for announcements.

I don't know if it would necessarily overshadow the announcement. Go hand in hand maybe. Now, they could fully just go for matching it up with DLC like they did with TH, but the main game seems more like something you'd want to shoot for. Granted, may not happen now unless they were already mostly done, but that was unforeseen circumstances.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Got a question for you guys: regardless if they are elilgible for Fighters' Pass 2, which moveset would you prefer for Rex & Pyra?

or

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Got a question for you guys: regardless if they are elilgible for Fighters' Pass 2, which moveset would you prefer for Rex & Pyra?

or
Brawlfan's moveset is good, but I really don't think the Ether Cannon Blade should be KOS-MOS given her merit as her own Xenosaga character. And with a lack of Ether Cannon Blades that have the same impact as Pyra, Mythra, and Roc, it has a bit of hurdle to it in some ways.

Plus Brawlfan's idea is basically three movesets. And I don't think they'll do that for a DLC character. So Delzethin's moveset is more likely because it's more feasible. The lack of Mythra is a bit of a bummer. But as Del said, adding her in had a risk of making the moveset feel too cluttered. Unfortunate, but understandable. And it wouldn't be the first time a cool thing about a character had to be left out of a Smash moveset.

As for which one I would prefer to play? I'm not really sure. But at this point, given how many directions a moveset for this character could go, I feel like setting expectations for certain things to work in certain ways is too picky. If Rex & Pyra get in, I'll just take what we get for a moveset and be happy we even got the character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm not very confident that any non-Aegis blades will be used if just for ease of production and actually deciding which ones to use. I think being able to switch between Pyra and Mythra at will for a sort of permanent Monado Arts with maybe a few moves completely changing might be how they go about it, but in the end, I'm not sure. I'm personally against cluttering up the moveset with more blades, and I'm adamantly against using KOS-MOS. Besides, he is mostly seen using a variant of an Aegis sword so it makes sense to keep him with that. Though, there is a varying amount they could do with him depending on how experimental they are feeling such as incorporating affinity somehow, but I'd rather they didn't throw too many gimmicks on him. I have an idea of how they could work, but in the end, it could end up fairly different from how I imagined (having the blades do his smash attacks for example probably isn't happening).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
ARMS is getting a character in Smash now. Sakurai previously stated that he would've included an ARMS character had it not been for bad timing.

You know who else Sakurai wanted to add but couldn't due to bad timing?

It might actually happen people.

zferolie

Smash Hero
This is the biggest News in Rex's Favor. This shows Base games AS, Mii Costumes, or SPirits mean nothing for the second Fighters Pass. I think Rex is a 100% confirmed now for sure.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
I'm super hyped for an ARMS character I didn't think it was possible. I honestly believe Rex is 95% going to get in now that an ARMs character is coming to the game.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Also keep in mind that the xenoblade chronicles remastered has e new epilogue called future connected..... i think it is pretty likely for a certain someone to make a cameo ....

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Well that's one FP slot down, but consdering I really like Min Min who now has a pretty decent chance + XenoblaDE still releasing in May like the leaked date, I'm pretty happy.

On top of that... the most popular ARMS characters have spirits, and two have costumes. We could see the 'spirit/costume deconfirms DLC' rule broken!

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Huh, okay. It would be odd if it wasn't either Spring Man or Ribbon Girl (maybe both ala Hero?). It would be nice to even strike down the whole assist trophy thing too while we're at it. This is actually pretty good news to me, both on the Rex front and just more first party DLC in general (also the fact that ARMS had even less going for it relevancy wise than Rex). The one major hurdle I think would be Sakurai's sword user comment. Yeah, I know he'd be unique enough, but that comment could be problematic. Though, he's walked back on stuff before.

Also, I would be exceptionally hyped to see Rex in the Epilogue. It might actually make me buy it combined with just how great it looks.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Huh, okay. It would be odd if it wasn't either Spring Man or Ribbon Girl (maybe both ala Hero?). It would be nice to even strike down the whole assist trophy thing too while we're at it. This is actually pretty good news to me, both on the Rex front and just more first party DLC in general. The one major hurdle I think would be Sakurai's sword user comment. Yeah, I know he'd be unique enough, but that comment could be problematic. Though, he's walked back on stuff before.

Also, I would be exceptionally hyped to see Rex in the Epilogue. It might actually make me buy it combined with just how great it looks.
If Rex fights with Pyra like Ice CLimbers that would be very unique. Have him play like the Torna DLC, whgere they both are fighting together, and you can swap whos in the lead to change playstyle slightly

Arthur97

Smash Master
If Rex fights with Pyra like Ice CLimbers that would be very unique. Have him play like the Torna DLC, whgere they both are fighting together, and you can swap whos in the lead to change playstyle slightly
Pretty much anything they'd do with him would probably be unique. The problem is sWoRdS. Yet, you don't see people complaining that we have too many melee fighters. It's an asinine complaint, but one Sakurai seemed to buy into. So long as the moveset is unique, it shouldn't matter if they use a weapon or not.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Pretty much anything they'd do with him would probably be unique. The problem is sWoRdS. Yet, you don't see people complaining that we have too many melee fighters. It's an asinine complaint, but one Sakurai seemed to buy into. So long as the moveset is unique, it shouldn't matter if they use a weapon or not.
people whine about swords but then also unironically ask for Sora and Dante

Arthur97

Smash Master
people whine about swords but then also unironically ask for Sora and Dante
That is pretty obnoxious. Especially when they go, "It's a key, not a sword." Come on, it's literally called a key blade.

Also, for anyone wondering if they plan to add more connections to 2, well,
It seems that Alvis' necklace is now in the shape of an Aegis core crystal.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
True, but Rex is by no means a lock even if upgrades are on the table.

I'd rather not get my hopes up for his inclusion too much only to have them crushed yet again, y'know?
Even then, if I was in your position, i'd still be very down about him not getting in.
Freaking Springman ended up being the first 2nd Fighter's Pass character as well--or some character from ARMS.

Edit: Y'know, I just realized that I commented towards an old post. lol

Attachments

Last edited:

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
I am surprised they didn't go with a big third party to sell it first off.
I hope this means we will be getting more first party characters. The third party characters have led to some insanely high predictions for characters that are likely not going to happen.

D

Deleted member

The one major hurdle I think would be Sakurai's sword user comment. Yeah, I know he'd be unique enough, but that comment could be problematic. Though, he's walked back on stuff before.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t clarity on whether or not Sakurai agreed with that comment or just simply understood where those people were coming from never reached?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t clarity on whether or not Sakurai agreed with that comment or just simply understood where those people were coming from never reached?
Honestly, I don't know. The context I read suggested he was agreeing with it. Then again, maybe he was just trying to deflect the intense salt.
I hope this means we will be getting more first party characters. The third party characters have led to some insanely high predictions for characters that are likely not going to happen.
Just keep Doom and Overwatch out of it. But, yeah, I'm also hoping that it's Spring Man to blow speculation wide open and just utterly destroy that "rule." Imagine how much hype would be created having assist trophies back on the table. Namely, Isaac and Waluigi. Not particularly fond of either myself, but, hey.

I.D.

Smash Lord
The one major hurdle I think would be Sakurai's sword user comment. Yeah, I know he'd be unique enough, but that comment could be problematic. Though, he's walked back on stuff before.
The point of that comment is that Sakurai thinks there are already too many similar feeling swordsmen in Smash which is why he gave Byleth weapons he cannot canonically use all at the same time to make him more unique. There's tons of ways to make Rex unique.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Having Min Min as FP2 #1 and Rex at #2 would be my dream. An unlikely one and I'm not expecting it, but it's not impossible anymore either :]

Arthur97

Smash Master
The point of that comment is that Sakurai thinks there are already too many similar feeling swordsmen in Smash which is why he gave Byleth weapons he cannot canonically use all at the same time to make him more unique. There's tons of ways to make Rex unique.
I know he could be, but then again, look at what they did with Dark Samus. I know that wouldn't happen for DLC, but they slip up themselves.

However, with all this, what do you think they'd do for his final smash? Personally, I'd give him two (if Ryu and Ken can, why not Rex).

If he hits the first hit, I'd have him and Pneuma perform Infinity Blade in a cutscene mostly like the level IV special sans the Siren part. If it misses, then have him toss the sword to Pneuma who just does Genesis Saber making it a large AOE attack with lower knockback.

Alternatively, they could just do Chain Attack with a different cast, probably Tora and Nia, but I don't like rehashing it.

Then, maybe they could give Pyra and Mythra one depending on which one is out with Flame Sword being the more focused and high knockback move while Mythra does a large AOE with Sacred Arrow (maybe making each shot meteor).

KillerCage

Smash Master
With Arms finally getting a character in Smash, my faith in Rex is restored.
I would like to be added as a supporter.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Well, I feel pretty strongly that my long speculated "land of challenge" crossover area equivalent will happen. Imagery implied they really are strengthening the connection between these two games with XCDE. The opportunity was certainly there and they arent missing it. Naturally, this fits in great with the Rex DLC for Smash speculations I've been making a case for for months. Feeling pretty good about all this, but we'll see.

Fun look back at a couple of confirmed predictions and hopes so far...
edit: Also, I doubt they'd change the Monado symbol.. but I'd vote for Zohar if they did. The only xeno game that shape hasn't appeared in in a significant way is the original Xenoblade game. And I'd bet on it retcon cameoing in the definitive edition, just to more deeply establish the connection.
I can see it possibly appearing on Alvis or as the conduit in the Klaus scene
I was hoping they'd do that for Alvis and finally confirm that strongly speculated belief many fans had. But I wasnt sure they'd actually redesign him some although I kinda predicted it, heh.

Arthur97

Smash Master
To be fair, Alvis' looks not entirely like it's part of him to me. Plus it looks a little small compared to the others. I very much think he's who we think he is, but let's not jump the gun.

Seriously though, do you think we'll see him interact with his sisters in the post game?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Who here is hoping for some 2 references in Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition?

Maybe it could be a bonus mode with Rex and the Aegis, or
they retcon the ending to reference what happens in the other universe?
Alvis has a core crystal now. And I get a feeling the new post game may have something to do with XC2

Top Bottom