• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Sakurai picks the songs (aided by suggestions but still ultimately up to him) and composers decide which ones from that list they want to arrange. Songs ignored by them are included in the game in their original forms.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think I'm going to need some documentation to believe he literally hand picks every song in the game. You know, over 700 of them. Especially when stuff like spirits were outsourced. And of course he has semi-ultimate say (someone like the Nintendo CEO could still probably overrule him if they really wanted to for whatever reason), he is the director, but that doesn't mean he oversees every tiny little detail. He may be a control freak, but he is still human.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think I'm going to need some documentation to believe he literally hand picks every song in the game. You know, over 700 of them. Especially when stuff like spirits were outsourced. And of course he has semi-ultimate say (someone like the Nintendo CEO could still probably overrule him if they really wanted to for whatever reason), he is the director, but that doesn't mean he oversees every tiny little detail. He may be a control freak, but he is still human.
it was just a thing he said on the brawl dojo, but i think it was more a list of games than songs

Arthur97

Smash Master
it was just a thing he said on the brawl dojo, but i think it was more a list of games than songs
That's also a good bit fewer songs overall back in the Brawl days. Plus, things change. Sakurai seems to have a tendency to walk back on what he says from time to time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's also a good bit fewer songs overall back in the Brawl days. Plus, things change. Sakurai seems to have a tendency to walk back on what he says from time to time.
thats true, ive noting his contradictions a lot recently, but that was the last from what we heard about the song selection so its all weve got to go on

Arthur97

Smash Master
Part of it might just be that he "talks" too much. If you make so many public statements, it can make it look bad if you change your mind, or worse, if you never meant it in the first place. Either way, to me, Sakurai does not have a super consistent image. Like, take Miyamoto, for all his faults (like not wanting story in Mario games to perhaps a ludicrous degree and essentially neutering the Paper Mario series) he seems at least fairly consistent in the public eye.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Part of it might just be that he "talks" too much. If you make so many public statements, it can make it look bad if you change your mind, or worse, if you never meant it in the first place. Either way, to me, Sakurai does not have a super consistent image. Like, take Miyamoto, for all his faults (like not wanting story in Mario games to perhaps a ludicrous degree and essentially neutering the Paper Mario series) he seems at least fairly consistent in the public eye.
well the thing about sakurai is that people hang on to his every word, more so than any other developer, just for clues about what characters will be in smash. sakurai may not want to say these things all the time but finds he has to. as far as the music goes there isnt really any inconsistency as hes only ever talked about hows its done the once about 13 years ago, everything else is just assumptions, weve no real way to be sure if this is still how the music works

Arthur97

Smash Master
That's also true. People need to chill out about the man.

As for the music, that is a bit from a different game over a decade ago. Even then you said he may have just been listing games. Mind you, easier than listing every single track that can be used. Plus, he might be on a tighter leash this go around and not given as much freedom which, on one hand I like since he seemed to be given too much power almost especially given how Smash can influence the home series, but I'm honestly not a fan of all of Nintendo's decisions either. Bringing it back home to the point of the thread, my optimism is especially low these days for Rex no matter who is making the decisions.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Is Nier even part of a series? I really don't like the idea of one-off third parties in Smash.

Too bad that poll is probably near worthless though. It's not official, the pass is already decided, and the data pool is likely not conclusive.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Is Nier even part of a series? I really don't like the idea of one-off third parties in Smash.
Nier, before Automata, had two other games, Gestalt and Replicant. Not to mention, it’s also a spin-off of the Drakengard series. So if 2B did make it into Smash Bros, it would kinda be like how Persona, a spin-off of Shin Megami Tensei, made it into Smash.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Seeing all the support for Rex and Pyra/Mythra before and after the game's launch makes me happy. Heck, Smash did a lot of good for Xenoblade in introducing Shulk to a much wider audience, now I hope it's 2's turn.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright everyone. Today we're rating Rex on Rate Their Chances. If you think he still has a shot, you know what to do. That being said, we're also rating Elma over there, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them got skewed scores...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Alright everyone. Today we're rating Rex on Rate Their Chances. If you think he still has a shot, you know what to do. That being said, we're also rating Elma over there, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them got skewed scores...
are anyones scores ever not a least a little skewed?

Arthur97

Smash Master
If you have a lot of Elma people it may not go so well for Rex. It seems some Elma supporters really don't like Rex.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
If you have a lot of Elma people it may not go so well for Rex. It seems some Elma supporters really don't like Rex.
Ah yeah, some X fans are a little bitter that it's sort of become the more forgotten game out of the three. But that's not Rex's fault and I feel like us Xeno fans should be working and supporting each other instead of the opposite lol. I'd rather Rex or KOS-MOS priority wise but Elma would still be a cool pick (and X has a few really fantastic music tracks which would be a great bonus)

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, to be fair, that's based off some interactions on Reddit, so take it with a grain of salt, but it seems Elma supporters are more likely to be hostile to Rex than the reverse. Then again, more Xenoblade fans may be more likely to be hostile to Rex in general. Not saying its the majority, but there are those who seem to rather not like 2.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The Rex hate from the XCX crowd on this site is a pretty big reason why I'm somewhat against Elma's inclusion now, TBH. I've always known that XC2 was a little divisive among the fan base but certain people act like the game is the ****ing Antichrist and I'm getting sick of it.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
The Rex hate from the XCX crowd on this site is a pretty big reason why I'm somewhat against Elma's inclusion now, TBH. I've always known that XC2 was a little divisive among the fan base but certain people act like the game is the ****ing Antichrist and I'm getting sick of it.
Hi. For some reason, i never found my way to this thread. Thought i show a little support since Rex is getting rated at RTC (whatever thats worth...)

I loved Xenoblade X, i support Elma and i really loved Xenoblade 2 and i wholeheartedly agree with you, that the hate Xenoblade 2 gets is ridiculous.
One doesn't have to love everything and if someone dislikes it, well thats to bad. Hopefully they find something else to enjoy.

But comments like "Pyra is scum because her design sucks" or anything else that isn't constructive criticism really grinds my gears.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i didnt know there was so much xenoblade 2 hate, i thought it was over all a very well received game

zumaddy

Smash Ace
But...KOS-MOS isn't Xenoblade.
I know she doesn't originate from Xenoblade, I like to use the Xeno-prefix anyways especially since she was part of Xenoblade 2 and may very well use her design from that game.

i didnt know there was so much xenoblade 2 hate, i thought it was over all a very well received game
It was well received generally, but has caused some fighting in the Xenoblade fandom. As mentioned earlier some X fans dislike that X has now become the forgotten one of the trilogy while 2 gets a lot of attention. On top of that some general Xenoblade fans don't like the increased fanservice (which they are allowed to dislike, I myself love Pyra/Mythra but find the random skin showing in their outfits a bit overkill).

It's not that uncommon for a new, popular game in a series to cause a rift in the previous fanbase.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I find it's kind of like a less extreme FE Fates (and to a lesser extent, Awakeing). It was well received for the most part and it sold well. However, there are those who don't like it for whatever reason that may or may not be using it as a mask for not liking it because its different. Even though X was pretty different from the original. Some criticisms may be more valid than other though. Though, let's not pretend the other two didn't have their fair share of flaws. Like, I didn't really care for X and even the original was kind of meh to me.

I know she doesn't originate from Xenoblade, I like to use the Xeno-prefix anyways especially since she was part of Xenoblade 2 and may very well use her design from that game.

It was well received generally, but has caused some fighting in the Xenoblade fandom. As mentioned earlier some X fans dislike that X has now become the forgotten one of the trilogy while 2 gets a lot of attention. On top of that some general Xenoblade fans don't like the increased fanservice (which they are allowed to dislike, I myself love Pyra/Mythra but find the random skin showing in their outfits a bit overkill).

It's not that uncommon for a new, popular game in a series to cause a rift in the previous fanbase.
Though, let's not pretend KOS-MOS would or should rep XC2.

As for the latter statement, yeah, as I put above, it often happens. It happened with FE (though they seem to adore TH, but I've also read that since the honeymoon period ended they are more critical now that all the potentially new people adoring it have settled down a bit). It even happens here with pretty much every game vs. Melee, though that too seems to have quieted down either because of Ultimate's success or Melee finally starting to peter off.

However, much like with the FE examples, don't let it kid you, XC2 is a well liked game though, apparently too "anime" for some. Again, never mind the mechs from X. Though, I will admit that Pyra and Mythra's breasts jiggling at certain points when they so much as turned could be momentarily distracting, but it was hardly world ending.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i also like pyra and mythra but think theyre outfits are ridiculous, it is a bit of a shame that xenoblade x is a bit forgotten so i can see why the elma fans are upset (ironically a few of them have probably forgotten shes not the main character)

I.D.

Smash Lord
I posted this in the Kosmos thread but it belongs here too:
Xenoblade 2 making people extremely butthurt is not a bug, it's a feature. Over 2 years later and one still gets great entertainment out of it from the sheer unhinged seething it causes. God bless Monolith.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've been working my way through my physical Switch games, and I'm going to try beating Xenoblade Chronicles 2. However, I'm having trouble with the Gormott province. (Specifically helping Umon build a ship so we can reach the World Tree)

I'm not sure if my team is underleveled (they're at level 14 or 15), underequipped (there's a LOT of systems and upgrades in this game, and it doesn't do a great job of telling you how to use them), or if there's some secret pathway that I'm supposed to take but I'm unaware of it (the path to the objective forces me to go by level 35-40 monsters that one-shot Rex), but I'm getting frustrated.

I know that Xenoblade Chronicles 1 had areas blocked off by high level enemies, but I don't recall them being packed together so densely like they are in this game. Is there anything that I'm missing, or any useful tips for starting out? (Right now, my team consists of Rex, Tora, and Nia, and I'm not sure how to use the Tiger Tiger minigame)

Edit: how do I target enemies? The in-game controls say to press R, but that does nothing.

Edit 2: really starting to hate Territorial Rotbart. I'm just exploring the map, minding my own business, and then he one-shots me from off-screen when I had no way of knowing that he was nearby.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've been working my way through my physical Switch games, and I'm going to try beating Xenoblade Chronicles 2. However, I'm having trouble with the Gormott province. (Specifically helping Umon build a ship so we can reach the World Tree)

I'm not sure if my team is underleveled (they're at level 14 or 15), underequipped (there's a LOT of systems and upgrades in this game, and it doesn't do a great job of telling you how to use them), or if there's some secret pathway that I'm supposed to take but I'm unaware of it (the path to the objective forces me to go by level 35-40 monsters that one-shot Rex), but I'm getting frustrated.

I know that Xenoblade Chronicles 1 had areas blocked off by high level enemies, but I don't recall them being packed together so densely like they are in this game. Is there anything that I'm missing, or any useful tips for starting out? (Right now, my team consists of Rex, Tora, and Nia, and I'm not sure how to use the Tiger Tiger minigame)
I'm sure there's a way to set it so that enemies don't attack you unless you attack them. Don't remember if that was a free update or part of the DLC, though. Sorry, it's been a while.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Edit: how do I target enemies? The in-game controls say to press R, but that does nothing.

Edit 2: really starting to hate Territorial Rotbart. I'm just exploring the map, minding my own business, and then he one-shots me from off-screen when I had no way of knowing that he was nearby.
try sleeping in the inn, see if theres any extra levels for you

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I also had trouble with that section of the game. Due to time constraints it took me a few days to get past all the monsters to Umon. The vague directions don't help either.

You should be able to kite and avoid the monsters around the path to Umon's shipyard. The direction is basically correct but it can be a bit frustrating to follow.

The Tora Tora minigame can be annoying. Although you should be able to get a perfect lvl 1 Pacifist run even at this point of the game.

I ended up looking at YouTube guides a few times when I played.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
try sleeping in the inn, see if theres any extra levels for you
I wasn't aware that was an option. Kind of weird to level up by sleeping at the inn, but it brought my whole team up by 3-5 levels.

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
Can you be more specific? Do you mean reaching Umon's house in the first place or are you already in the quest for building a ship proper?

Also you have to press Y while holding R to cycle through targets (if that's what you were asking).

Top Bottom