• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Gotta milk his popularity for everything its worth. Kind of reminds me of Shovel Knight. Plus, they are part of Sega, and, while maybe not to this extent, they aren't that shy about throwing Sonic around.

See, I'm not convinced Joker has staying power, but by being in Smash, he's bound to at least be somewhat remembered. So, it may be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy whereby being in Smash, he gains staying power.
i guess we'll just have to see what happens in that case

though to be fair sonic does have plenty of success and popularity so you cant blame them for throwing him around, even if the fandom is very love hate

Arthur97

Smash Master
i guess we'll just have to see what happens in that case

though to be fair sonic does have plenty of success and popularity so you cant blame them for throwing him around, even if the fandom is very love hate
Oh no, Sonic is definitely an icon, but they are kind of lax on who they let use him. At least compared to his old rival. I really like Sonic myself even if, yes, the fans can be...strange.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh no, Sonic is definitely an icon, but they are kind of lax on who they let use him. At least compared to his old rival. I really like Sonic myself even if, yes, the fans can be...strange.
thats true theres been all sorts of cartoons and comics and the like, though some of those have resulted in things you think would make them tred a little more careful

Arthur97

Smash Master
thats true theres been all sorts of cartoons and comics and the like, though some of those have resulted in things you think would make them tred a little more careful
Well, you can't control the fans. Generally speaking, they may have had better success with supplementary material than Nintendo.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I can't recall if I've asked this before, but at what point in the game would it be best for me to play the Torna DLC? (right now, my party consists of Rex, Nia, and Tora - I haven't met Mythra yet, and Morag's still a villain, though I think they're hinting that she'll switch sides)
I played the DLC after the main game. I read somewhere that it was originally planned to be played around chapter 7 or 8 but the idea expanded enough for a full DLC. Still, I recomend you play the DLC after you're done with the main game.

And in this context the appropriate word is "antagonist".

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, you can't control the fans. Generally speaking, they may have had better success with supplementary material than Nintendo.
i meant what some of the people did with the licence rather than the fans themselves, some of the people involved in the expanded media were kinda awful

we have swerved way off topic maybe we should move this to another thread

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yeah, this kind of discussion doesn't really belong in a character support thread and can be reported for being off topic.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Sakurai saying there's a problem of too many swordsfighters in Smash really affects Rex's chances. I believe he said that more to explain why he implemented Byleth the way he did, with all the different Relic weapons. I also don't think it affects other sword wielding characters chances, but it mostly illustrates a point where Sakurai tries to make any newcomer with a sword (or without one) as unique as possible.

Also, it's already been confirmed it's Nintendo deciding the DLC again (I believe Sakurai tweeted this just shortly after announcing additional DLC), I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing for Rex. I do believe that Nintendo might want to include at least one Xenoblade character at some point, and if they do we'll have to see if it's Rex (though I like to think they would prefer to not skip over the most succesful Xenoblade game). We'll just have to see.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't think Sakurai saying there's a problem of too many swordsfighters in Smash really affects Rex's chances. I believe he said that more to explain why he implemented Byleth the way he did, with all the different Relic weapons. I also don't think it affects other sword wielding characters chances, but it mostly illustrates a point where Sakurai tries to make any newcomer with a sword (or without one) as unique as possible.

Also, it's already been confirmed it's Nintendo deciding the DLC again (I believe Sakurai tweeted this just shortly after announcing additional DLC), I'm not sure if this is necessarily a bad thing for Rex. I do believe that Nintendo might want to include at least one Xenoblade character at some point, and if they do we'll have to see if it's Rex (though I like to think they would prefer to not skip over the most succesful Xenoblade game). We'll just have to see.
If you think about it, it's only natural that if Sakurai had to dig early development material for a modern fighter, it'd be a lot safer to go with the series that has proven great track record. Xenoblade, at least sales-wise was still trying to find it's footing and success for 2 was not a given.

Arthur97

Smash Master
True, and DE might be the reason they need, but I'm also not convinced he's going to be the first which is pretty much what he'd have to be to get him out in time. That is, unless they do some pretty substantial DLC and hold him for that.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
If you think about it, it's only natural that if Sakurai had to dig early development material for a modern fighter, it'd be a lot safer to go with the series that has proven great track record. Xenoblade, at least sales-wise was still trying to find it's footing and success for 2 was not a given.
They both sold well though right?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Reminder that all the characters of the coming pass have already been chosen. So Nintendo and Sakurai already know if Rex/Aegis will be in this pass. And if they are, it's just a matter of when they're ready or when they want to release them. Vanishing relevancy is not a concern. And even then, XCDE will certain refresh the series if not 2 specifically. That said, I still think an arena mode like situation where you can meet Rex/Aegis in Shulk's game feels likely and would certainly bring XC2 back into people's minds. I see that possibly happening as post release dlc, mirroring how Shulk, Fiora, and Elma appeared in XC2.

Basically, XCDE's release seems ideal for a Rex/Aegis reveal in Smash. But even if they dont make that date or even a relevant XCDE dlc release date, that doesnt mean they wont show up at all. If they've been chosen for this pass, they release when they're ready if they cant coincide with a specific XCDE release. I would expect Nintendo and Sakurai would prefer to have them out in time to reference XCDE in some way, but it doesnt have to be that way. And I suspect they'd be kind of a complicated character that might be hard to force into a deadline, especially if they're a three in one. Still, for all we know, Sakurai and company might've been working on Rex/Aegis off and on for a year already.... they clearly had assets over a year ago to make costumes, etc.

Also, I've not for sure heard when XCDE will release, but I've heard rumors. Even if it comes out as soon as people say, I'm not sure they'd follow Byleth up directly with another first party from an already repped series to kick off the new pass. That said, I didnt think they'd finish the prior pass with a first party from an already repped series. My suspicion is that some DLC characters got shuffled around when pass 2 became confirmed. If we only got a pass 1, I doubt Nintendo and Sakurai would've had Byleth as last DLC of the game.

But yeah, being first only matters if you want the characters' release to coincide with a spring/summer XCDE release. But if XCDE is planned for later in the year or they choose to coincide with XCDE post launch DLC, then being first is a lot less arguable as important.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, I think it pretty much needs to coincide with some sort of release/new content given that seems to, sadly, be the only way Nintendo's putting their own stuff on the pass. It may be regrettable, but that's looking like how it is. Will DE be enough? I honestly don't know, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for the reshuffle idea, remember, they released the Byleths around the time they announced a pretty substantial DLC it seems. so it seems fairly planned.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Well, I think it pretty much needs to coincide with some sort of release/new content given that seems to, sadly, be the only way Nintendo's putting their own stuff on the pass. It may be regrettable, but that's looking like how it is. Will DE be enough? I honestly don't know, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for the reshuffle idea, remember, they released the Byleths around the time they announced a pretty substantial DLC it seems. so it seems fairly planned.
We only have one example of this being the case, so that hardly makes a pattern. If Rex/Aegis are confirmed, I'm sure they have a deadline. At the same time... they come out when they're ready. The benefit of being any character that's already been chosen, is that, in theory, you're inevitable... just a matter of when.

It's possible Byleth was intended to release when Terry did as Three Houses only released last summer as I recall. They could've coincided an announcement within just a couple weeks of the game's release. But yeah, I only suspect the reshuffling and really who knows for sure how close to the original plan everything has gone. Another suspicion of mine is that one or a couple of the second pass fighters were either top running during initial pass or were picked for a second pass the moment it was considered. They wouldnt consider a second pass if they didnt at least have some characters in mind tbh. In fact, there's a chance some second pass fighters were at least considered for ultimate DLC before Byleth was planned. Again, only suspicions. I think I can say pretty confidently though that these second pass fighters have been considered for probably much of the year prior to them announcing pass two. At a certain point they must've known the plan for the second pass and were working through the idea phase of these characters while straight up making the first pass characters. Impossible to know for sure unless we're told, but seems like logical assumptions.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
The good thing about Rex/Pyra/Mythra potentially coming later on is the potential for Torna music coming with them :)

Arthur97

Smash Master
We only have one example of this being the case, so that hardly makes a pattern. If Rex/Aegis are confirmed, I'm sure they have a deadline. At the same time... they come out when they're ready. The benefit of being any character that's already been chosen, is that, in theory, you're inevitable... just a matter of when.

It's possible Byleth was intended to release when Terry did as Three Houses only released last summer as I recall. They could've coincided an announcement within just a couple weeks of the game's release. But yeah, I only suspect the reshuffling and really who knows for sure how close to the original plan everything has gone. Another suspicion of mine is that one or a couple of the second pass fighters were either top running during initial pass or were picked for a second pass the moment it was considered. They wouldnt consider a second pass if they didnt at least have some characters in mind tbh. In fact, there's a chance some second pass fighters were at least considered for ultimate DLC before Byleth was planned. Again, only suspicions. I think I can say pretty confidently though that these second pass fighters have been considered for probably much of the year prior to them announcing pass two. At a certain point they must've known the plan for the second pass and were working through the idea phase of these characters while straight up making the first pass characters. Impossible to know for sure unless we're told, but seems like logical assumptions.
There is some precedence with Smash 4 as well. All the newcomers were third party except the Corrins...along with a new game.

Well, any changes likely would have needed to happen early on as they don't seem to work on multiple fighters at once for DLC. There's also a difference between being considered, and being part of the final definitive plan. As you said, these are all suspicions with no real proof. Things may have been shuffled around in the planning phase, but it's the planning phase. As it stands, there isn't any real evidence to think they shifted them around. Unless, somehow, pass 2 is 5 first parties and 1 third party. Then I might believe it.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
he also tweeted a pic of an inkling, it really doesnt mean anything
I never said that it did.
Although, at the same time, now that you've mentioned it, who knows what it really means.
At least to Sakurai himself.

Last edited:

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
you think hes subconsciously telling us something?
No lol
I'm saying that to himself, maybe he could contemplating about Rex or something along those lines when he posted that image.
It was not meant to tell us anything at all in regards to him being included.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No lol
I'm saying that to himself, maybe he could contemplating about Rex or something along those lines when he posted that image.
It was not meant to tell us anything at all in regards to him being included.
well no one really knows whats going on in sakurais head, (though a lot of people seem to think they do) so maybe

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Hey smashers, I am a big support of Rex in Smash Ultimate as Xenobalde Chronicles 2 is a really good game and repesents Nintendo Switch era games.

I think that most of you would think that if Rex gets in Smash, they will try to implement a Blade mechanic where you control Rex and there is Pyra/Mythra either on the background (like PKMN Trainer) or behing you like Ice Climbers or Rosalina with Luma, but remember that in Xeno 2 each Driver can use up to 3 blades in battle, so why would not implement this mechanic ?? Making possible to change blade mid battle, and thus, Rex changes their moveset.

Ok, now one would think that they can put other blades in the game like Roc, Dromarch (Nia main Blade), Pandoria (Zeke main Blade) o even someone like Jin (Lora main blade), but why not include both Elma and KOS-MOS ?? They are both blades in the game (KOS-MOS is a rare blade and Elma was added as DLC). One thing that is certain is that many people agree that Xenoblade franchise is really underepresent in Smash Ultimate and it needs a second character, but spaces are thight and they can't add more than 1 Xeno character, so why not Rex with Pyra/Mythra, Elma and KOS-MOS blade support?

When you are playing with Pyra as a Blade, you have the Aegis sword, with Elma you have her dual blades and with KOS-MOS her weapon is a big cannon. So Rex would have 3 different style plays (they can also alter Rex weight with each different weapon, Pyra's sword would be medium, Elma's duel blades would be light and KOS-MOS's cannon would be heavy) to choose. I know, this is like having a character with 3 different movesets and maybe is a bit overpowered but Hero has like 30 special attacks and Sakurai is a big fan of Xeno games, so I think this would be really cool and kill 3 birds with one shoot.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Uh, because KOS-MOS is from a different series for one? People seem to forget that having the same prefix doesn't make them the same series.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
they also seem to forget that theyre owned by different companies
That too, but they did throw in some references in XC2 so that threw some doubt as to who really own them at this point. Though, to me it bothers me how much people just lump all "Xeno" games together. Kind of like how the FE wiki lists Tear Rising stuff despite not actually being Fire Emblem. Xenoblade Chronicles as a series only consists of three games.

Besides, by some accounts at least it seems, most of the Xenosaga games and Xenogears weren't even that good. Why would you want them repped in Smash of all things?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That too, but they did throw in some references in XC2 so that threw some doubt as to who really own them at this point. Though, to me it bothers me how much people just lump all "Xeno" games together. Kind of like how the FE wiki lists Tear Rising stuff despite not actually being Fire Emblem. Xenoblade Chronicles as a series only consists of three games.

Besides, by some accounts at least it seems, most of the Xenosaga games and Xenogears weren't even that good. Why would you want them repped in Smash of all things?
In FE Wiki's defense, the TearRing Saga games are basically Fire Emblem games in everyway except name. As in, the people who made those games got sued. Plus, I doubt there's a TearRing Saga Wiki out there...

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
That too, but they did throw in some references in XC2 so that threw some doubt as to who really own them at this point. Though, to me it bothers me how much people just lump all "Xeno" games together.
Because all Xeno games were literally made by the same people.
Because all Xeno games have more in common between them than, say, any two given mainline Final Fantasy titles, to use an example.
Because Tetsuya Takahashi still obviously loves the games as evidenced by all the references and throwbacks to the pre-Xenoblade games.
Because some people don't believe copyright matters more than author's intent.

It's funny, but not surprising, to me that Nintendo fans are by far the most resistant to this concept, considering it was Satoru Iwata himself who encouraged an at the time depressed Takahashi to not abandon his life's work and keep using the "Xeno" branding (something I'll always be grateful for. Iwata was a great man). However the stereotype of Nintendo fans being isolatinist and not caring about non-Nintendo games exist for a reason.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because all Xeno games were literally made by the same people.
Because all Xeno games have more in common between them than, say, any two given mainline Final Fantasy titles, to use an example.
Because Tetsuya Takahashi still obviously loves the games as evidenced by all the references and throwbacks to the pre-Xenoblade games.
Because some people don't believe copyright matters more than author's intent.

It's funny, but not surprising, to me that Nintendo fans are by far the most resistant to this concept, considering it was Satoru Iwata himself who encouraged an at the time depressed Takahashi to not abandon his life's work and keep using the "Xeno" branding (something I'll always be grateful for. Iwata was a great man). However the stereotype of Nintendo fans being isolatinist and not caring about non-Nintendo games exist for a reason.
but theyre still separate, it doesnt matter how much they have in common theyre owned by two different companies

and do watch your wording it sounds like youre looking down on nintendo fans

Last edited:

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
but theyre still separate, it doesnt matter how much they have in common theyre owned by two different companies
I merely gave you an explanation for why people like me "lump all Xeno games together", and it's because we care more about the people who actually created the games than the legal entity who happens to get paid for them.

If it really bothers you that much I suggest writing to Takahashi and asking him to stop borrowing concepts, plot points, world building, and even entire characters from those games.

Arthur97

Smash Master
In FE Wiki's defense, the TearRing Saga games are basically Fire Emblem games in everyway except name. As in, the people who made those games got sued. Plus, I doubt there's a TearRing Saga Wiki out there...
But they aren't. It isn't Fire Emblem and just clutters the wiki.

As for Xeno games, I don't care how many similarities there are, they. Are. Not. The same. Guess what? Legal stuff matters. Is Mighty No. 9 a Mega Man game? No, that'd be ridiculous. Just because it's made by the same people (which is likely to make it resemble some of their older works as Smash itself can attest to borrowing from Kirby) does not make it the same series. Ever heard of the term "spiritual successor?" That would be more of what they are, but don't even pretend that they are the same series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I merely gave you an explanation for why people like me "lump all Xeno games together", and it's because we care more about the people who actually created the games than the legal entity who happens to get paid for them.

If it really bothers you that much I suggest writing to Takahashi and asking him to stop borrowing concepts, plot points, world building, and even entire characters from those games.
wow you extrapolated a lot from very little, this has got nothing to do with "caring" about the people its about people randomly lumping together things that are meant to be separate but similar/pay homage, an explanation for why they are doing it is all very well and good but that doesnt mean you should lump to together when the developers mean them to be separate and theyre separate legally, you might as well say that mighty number 9 is part of megaman. i never said anything about being "bothered" by it, youre the only one who seems to be "bothered" by it

Top Bottom