• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
And NOA loves giving Kirby angry eyes. Doesn't mean that all Americans hate cute Kirby.
If Nintendo of America was in charge of deciding the roster + had historically de-sanitized Kirby to the same extent Japan sanitizes Crash, I would absolutely consider that to lessen Kirby's chances as a prioritized pick simply due to NOA's prior attitude towards the character. It wouldn't be about the actual average fan opinion; it would be what NOA thinks it is.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
To change the subject a bit, how many of you guys still play XC2 on a regular basis? It's been a few months since I've last touched it but I've been itching to do another run of the Torna expansion sometime soon.
I'm still playing it regularly doing endgame content, I need just one more rare blade (Finch) before I got all of them, and after getting all affinities to S I will probably go for another New Game+. And I still want to complete a few things in Torna too, so I'm not running out of things to do anytime soon haha.

Also, recently I had to think of a GameXplain video they did with Skye Bennett for Xenoblade 2's second anniversary. When they asked her something about Smash she acted in a way where my gut feeling was like "she knows something more!" but considering it's a gut feeling it's really not something that means much. I may just be too eager to interpret things in a certain way, but her reaction did pique my interest.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm still play it regularly doing endgame content, I need just one more rare blade (Finch) before I got all of them, and after getting all affinities to S I will probably go for another New Game+. And I still want to complete a few things in Torna too, so I'm not running out of things to do anytime soon haha.

Also, recently I had to think of a GameXplain video they did with Skye Bennett for Xenoblade 2's second anniversary. When they asked her something about Smash she acted in a way where my gut feeling was like "she knows something more!" but considering it's a gut feeling it's really not something that means much. I may just be too eager to interpret things in a certain way, but her reaction did pique my interest.
Well, I guess we could check to see what other video game roles she has had, just in case. Still, Rex and Pyra are probably the safest bet for first-party DLC, at least at the moment.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Probably best not to read too much into it. Though, I don't know what exactly she said, and I'd rather not watch a GameXplain video.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm still playing it regularly doing endgame content, I need just one more rare blade (Finch) before I got all of them, and after getting all affinities to S I will probably go for another New Game+. And I still want to complete a few things in Torna too, so I'm not running out of things to do anytime soon haha.

I think I'm still missing a Blade or two that New Game+ added. Kinda surprised to hear that you don't have Finch yet, though; I thought that she had an extremely common pull rate and was practically guaranteed to be among the first ones you get. I guess RNG really does work in bizarre ways sometimes...

The Skye Bennett thing is interesting...but I'd rather not get my hopes up and start looking for something in her words that might not be there.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't know for sure which it is, but I'm missing one base game blade along with three NG+ ones I think. And Elma, but that's partially due to a lack of interest.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
its be a long time since i played but all that was left was farming core crystals for the last two random blades, one base game one dlc

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I think I'm still missing a Blade or two that New Game+ added. Kinda surprised to hear that you don't have Finch yet, though; I thought that she had an extremely common pull rate and was practically guaranteed to be among the first ones you get. I guess RNG really does work in bizarre ways sometimes...

The Skye Bennett thing is interesting...but I'd rather not get my hopes up and start looking for something in her words that might not be there.
Yeah I don't think I've heard of anyone having trouble getting Finch, yet I pulled KOS-MOS a good while back while she's still missing. I'll get her eventually though.

And I tried to word the Skye Bennett thing in a way so I don't get people's hopes up just based off a hunch of mine. I just got a funny feeling when watching that bit of the video lol.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah I don't think I've heard of anyone having trouble getting Finch, yet I pulled KOS-MOS a good while back while she's still missing. I'll get her eventually though.

And I tried to word the Skye Bennett thing in a way so I don't get people's hopes up just based off a hunch of mine. I just got a funny feeling when watching that bit of the video lol.
Don't worry, we all get funny feelings when VAs talk about Smash. Just look at Dante.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
To change the subject a bit, how many of you guys still play XC2 on a regular basis? It's been a few months since I've last touched it but I've been itching to do another run of the Torna expansion sometime soon.
I'm currently on my longest drought, so to speak. Last time I played it was in the first week of October after maxing affinity on all characters, maxing out arts, maxing level, and doing all sidequests/community stuff in Torna.

There's little left for me to do in maingame as well. I left it at the end of chapter 9 without activating 10 in a NG+ playthrough. I have every blade unlocked and since I was planning on doing more art, I like that I can get references in game at any point of almost every character and every playable blade. If I start a new NG+, I'd have to get to chapter 6 essentially to have that luxury again. That said, I'll do it again eventually. But played XC2 essentially for a year and a half as my primary single player game to the exclusion of some other games, so I felt like I was pretty done when I last played or at least could move on for a while and catch up on other games.

I do have a tentative plan to stream the game for friends on 3 year anniversary maybe, but probably on a new account. I dont want to reset all I've done in my original files. Only stuff I really have left to do in main game is get S+ with every blade (already completed every blade and drivers affinity charts), overdrive some unique weapon types around and get every driver to max out every art in the game, and maybe get Vandham to max level and affinity since he's the one exception out off all the playable characters that get affinity charts. That's the super completioist stuff I left I guess after 800+ hours in maingame and Torna. Other stuff might be a playthrough on bringer of chaos and actually beating all the arena missions in a mode other than the lowest two levels... but I'm not sure I'm hard core enough for the super specific builds and strats people use to do hard mode arena missions, heh.

Last edited:

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
I'd say they're the worse of many evils on the internet. If I'm being honest, you gotta know your way around the internet if you wanna avoid as much toxicity and venom as you can.
Let Gamefaqs be Gamefaqs. It's not exactly the most respectable part of the internet...if there is such a thing.
I see. Will keep in mind.
The mods are way worse than the people there if i'm tbh.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I should probably support Rex. Pretty good shot at DLC 2 imo. One thing though is the lack of spirits. Music and stage would be no problem but there are quite a few Xenoblade 2 spirits? Anyone have any ideas for what spirits he could bring along?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I should probably support Rex. Pretty good shot at DLC 2 imo. One thing though is the lack of spirits. Music and stage would be no problem but there are quite a few Xenoblade 2 spirits? Anyone have any ideas for what spirits he could bring along?
  • Malos
  • Jin
  • Lora
  • Addam
  • Amalthus
  • Vandham
  • Various blades, including KOS-MOS

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't like this putting KOS-MOS as XC2 representation. She's just an Easter Egg from a whole other series.

I actually compiled several potential spirits largely focused on blades since for whatever reason, they didn't put many of those. Namely, put most of the story blades, Malos, Jin, (maybe other Torna members) and Vandham, Azurda if they have something they can use making him a promotable spirit. Jin and Malos could promote...if they actually had the appropriate art.

Then, of course, you have Pneuma, Pythra, Coffee with Milk, whatever you want to call her for the legendary. Maybe even blade Nia if they don't care for spoilers.

Excuse the double post, but I thought of a potential way to incorporate Mythra's foresight without a counter. Namely, when Mythra is out, Rex would have much better rolls and spot/air dodges. It's not super exciting, but it would be a neat little touch. In addition, if they wanted to get more extreme, they might could give him extra benefit from a perfect shield with Mythra maybe even using the foresight effect (or maybe on his rolls and dodges).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Excuse the double post, but I thought of a potential way to incorporate Mythra's foresight without a counter. Namely, when Mythra is out, Rex would have much better rolls and spot/air dodges. It's not super exciting, but it would be a neat little touch. In addition, if they wanted to get more extreme, they might could give him extra benefit from a perfect shield with Mythra maybe even using the foresight effect (or maybe on his rolls and dodges).
For reference, you can just edit in what you want to add rather than double posting. If the posts were a week apart, I'd get that you'd want to draw attention back to the topic, but both were made in the same day.

I probably should get back to Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but Dragon Quest XI has effectively taken over my Switch at the moment. (I've only got enough time to focus on one absurdly lengthy JRPG at a time!) I'll probably play DQ11, the Wonderful 101, and then Xenoblade 2 - I can't recall if I've asked this before, but at what point in the game would it be best for me to play the Torna DLC? (right now, my party consists of Rex, Nia, and Tora - I haven't met Mythra yet, and Morag's still a villain, though I think they're hinting that she'll switch sides)

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
I probably should get back to Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but Dragon Quest XI has effectively taken over my Switch at the moment. (I've only got enough time to focus on one absurdly lengthy JRPG at a time!) I'll probably play DQ11, the Wonderful 101, and then Xenoblade 2 - I can't recall if I've asked this before, but at what point in the game would it be best for me to play the Torna DLC? (right now, my party consists of Rex, Nia, and Tora - I haven't met Mythra yet, and Morag's still a villain, though I think they're hinting that she'll switch sides)
Monolith originally intended for Torna to take place between chapter 7 and 8. But that was back when it was much smaller in scale. I'm not sure if I would recommend it.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
https://japanesenintendo.com/2020/02/05/sakurai-there-are-too-many-fire-emblem-characters/
I just came across this on Twitter. It would seem Sakurai has made himself clear that it wasn't his intention to add in Byleth despite FE being one of his favorite series. It seems it was a coincidence, as this was Nintendo's doing all along. I didnt think that was the case, but I suppose it was. He also mentions there is too much FE characters in Smash. Funny enough.

I also hear Sakurai takes over on the 2nd pass. But idrk. lol

Twitter link: https://twitter.com/giovoh/status/1224952032978784256

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
For reference, you can just edit in what you want to add rather than double posting. If the posts were a week apart, I'd get that you'd want to draw attention back to the topic, but both were made in the same day.

Uh, if you're looking to avoid spoilers for the main game, then you may have to wait until you've beaten chapter 9, but at that point you might as well just finish the main game.

As for this new tweet information, I actually don't think it bodes well. If he really has nothing to do with it, then it's up to Nintendo and given their decisions with pack one, I question their likelihood to pick Rex (seriously, why didn't they demand a little more from Atlus in return?). If Sakurai does take over for pass 2, then that might be worse since he talks about having too many sword fighters as well which just seems like a terrible position. Swords are still in the minority. There are a lot more brawlers than sword fighters yet there aren't too many of them. It's almost like the label of "fighting game" makes people think they should stick to punching and kicking (never mind Soul Calibur exists). I don't know if he's just caving or trying to save face with that or if he genuinely believes that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
https://japanesenintendo.com/2020/02/05/sakurai-there-are-too-many-fire-emblem-characters/
I just came across this on Twitter. It would seem Sakurai has made himself clear that it wasn't his intention to add in Byleth despite FE being one of his favorite series. It seems it was a coincidence, as this was Nintendo's doing all along. I didnt think that was the case, but I suppose it was. He also mentions there is too much FE characters in Smash. Funny enough.

I also hear Sakurai takes over on the 2nd pass. But idrk. lol

Twitter link: https://twitter.com/giovoh/status/1224952032978784256
if the pass was pure nintendo's decision, it really doesnt make sense

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Uh, if you're looking to avoid spoilers for the main game, then you may have to wait until you've beaten chapter 9, but at that point you might as well just finish the main game.

As for this new tweet information, I actually don't think it bodes well. If he really has nothing to do with it, then it's up to Nintendo and given their decisions with pack one, I question their likelihood to pick Rex (seriously, why didn't they demand a little more from Atlus in return?). If Sakurai does take over for pass 2, then that might be worse since he talks about having too many sword fighters as well which just seems like a terrible position. Swords are still in the minority. There are a lot more brawlers than sword fighters yet there aren't too many of them. It's almost like the label of "fighting game" makes people think they should stick to punching and kicking (never mind Soul Calibur exists). I don't know if he's just caving or trying to save face with that or if he genuinely believes that.
Thing is with hand to hand combatants though is this is a fighting game so it only makes sense that we have and will continue getting melee focussed characters. As for the sword part he doesn’t directly say there are too many sword users although he does heavily imply it. This does seem to be a hit towards characters who don’t bring much new to the table which I doubt Rex would struggle with much

Arthur97

Smash Master
Thing is with hand to hand combatants though is this is a fighting game so it only makes sense that we have and will continue getting melee focussed characters. As for the sword part he doesn’t directly say there are too many sword users although he does heavily imply it. This does seem to be a hit towards characters who don’t bring much new to the table which I doubt Rex would struggle with much
Like I said, it's a sterotype, but there is no reason to favor melee fighters over sword fighters outside of this weird stigma the "community" has toward them. Like I also said, Soul Calibur is a thing. Fighting games don't have to use melee fighters, and Smash is already pretty much its own genre. "Being a fighting game" is not enough reason.

Hmm, maybe that wasn't a direct quote I saw then.

And the definition of "new" can vary from person to person. Like, to the laymen, they may not consider the Byleths very unique, but they are quite so even if they don't have a gimmick like "GO," Arsene, MP/Command Menu, or (to a lesser degree) Wonder Wing.

Well, the Heroes and Byleths make sense with the Heroes potentially being part of the DQ deal or at least a promotion. Banjo and Kazooie appeals to their fans though I would have liked if we got Banjo & Kazooie (and Tooie) on Switch as part of the deal. Not sure what Terry adds as...well, at this point, what does SNK have to offer? Then there's Joker. What benefit does Nintendo get with this one? A Warriors spin off? In return, Joker gets the crowning jewel for all the appearances Atlus pushes for him and gains the distinguish of getting a likely permanent boost to his remembrance as, even when Persona moves on from P5 (eventually), Joker's in Smash. Especially if he comes back.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, it's a sterotype, but there is no reason to favor melee fighters over sword fighters outside of this weird stigma the "community" has toward them. Like I also said, Soul Calibur is a thing. Fighting games don't have to use melee fighters, and Smash is already pretty much its own genre. "Being a fighting game" is not enough reason.

Hmm, maybe that wasn't a direct quote I saw then.

And the definition of "new" can vary from person to person. Like, to the laymen, they may not consider the Byleths very unique, but they are quite so even if they don't have a gimmick like "GO," Arsene, MP/Command Menu, or (to a lesser degree) Wonder Wing.

Well, the Heroes and Byleths make sense with the Heroes potentially being part of the DQ deal or at least a promotion. Banjo and Kazooie appeals to their fans though I would have liked if we got Banjo & Kazooie (and Tooie) on Switch as part of the deal. Not sure what Terry adds as...well, at this point, what does SNK have to offer? Then there's Joker. What benefit does Nintendo get with this one? A Warriors spin off? In return, Joker gets the crowning jewel for all the appearances Atlus pushes for him and gains the distinguish of getting a likely permanent boost to his remembrance as, even when Persona moves on from P5 (eventually), Joker's in Smash. Especially if he comes back.
But what is the most common mean of fighting in video games as a whole though? It’s fist fighting. It still is understandable as to why there are so many melee based characters. I understand your point somewhat but fist fighting is still a more traditional form of fighting than swords are. And new just means not heavily borrowing off of other characters. That’s the basis for it anyway

Arthur97

Smash Master
But what is the most common mean of fighting in video games as a whole though? It’s fist fighting. It still is understandable as to why there are so many melee based characters. I understand your point somewhat but fist fighting is still a more traditional form of fighting than swords are. And new just means not heavily borrowing off of other characters. That’s the basis for it anyway
I'm not against fist fighting, I'm against the argument that there are too many swords like swords are a bad thing. There is nothing wrong with using a sword just like there isn't anything wrong with punching. If there are too many swords, than why aren't there too many melee fighters? There shouldn't be an exclusion just because they use swords.

That may be the best definition. Doesn't mean its the one people use, and if they're in appease the mob mode, guess which one they might use. At least the next pass is decided, but even Sakurai seems to like his big gimmicks. Granted, that part should actually help Rex, but I think his chances are not looking particularly good right now. Just look at Nintendo's decisions for pass 1 where they, for whatever reason, didn't prioritize their own stuff. Maybe they're playing the long game just to make it easier to keep them in once they got them, but then, why get them in the first place?

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I'm not against fist fighting, I'm against the argument that there are too many swords like swords are a bad thing. There is nothing wrong with using a sword just like there isn't anything wrong with punching. If there are too many swords, than why aren't there too many melee fighters? There shouldn't be an exclusion just because they use swords.

That may be the best definition. Doesn't mean its the one people use, and if they're in appease the mob mode, guess which one they might use. At least the next pass is decided, but even Sakurai seems to like his big gimmicks. Granted, that part should actually help Rex, but I think his chances are not looking particularly good right now. Just look at Nintendo's decisions for pass 1 where they, for whatever reason, didn't prioritize their own stuff. Maybe they're playing the long game just to make it easier to keep them in once they got them, but then, why get them in the first place?
Has it even been confirmed that Nintendo have also decided the second DLC? It may have been implied but I don’t remember it being confirmed.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
thats the thing though we dont know the reasons behind any of it. could they have picked characters for purely monetary reasons? well why would they go for three very popular choices, one niche character and one who wasnt even out at the time? if it was for promotional purposes why only use 3/5ths of the pass to promote and why only promote one of their own games? and why would any deal to bring a certain game to the switch affect the deal to bring the character into smash? DQ11 being on the switch cant have affected the hero in smash surely thats two different things.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Has it even been confirmed that Nintendo have also decided the second DLC? It may have been implied but I don’t remember it being confirmed.
I don't think it's been confirmed, no, but if the sword thing is true, then we might not want Sakurai choosing. If he had practically full reign to pick nearly any video game characters, do you really think he's going to pick Rex? It's not like he's particularly loyal to Nintendo.

On the flip side, I'm not confident Nintendo themselves would pick him either considering they favored mostly third parties.
thats the thing though we dont know the reasons behind any of it. could they have picked characters for purely monetary reasons? well why would they go for three very popular choices, one niche character and one who wasnt even out at the time? if it was for promotional purposes why only use 3/5ths of the pass to promote and why only promote one of their own games? and why would any deal to bring a certain game to the switch affect the deal to bring the character into smash? DQ11 being on the switch cant have affected the hero in smash surely thats two different things.
The reasoning doesn't have to be the same every time, but Joker, kind of like Snake, is pretty much free advertisement for your competitors. Joker really doesn't have much reason to be picked by Nintendo when they won't even put the mainline game on their system.

And why couldn't DQXI influence it? If it isn't part of the deal to get them in Smash, then they could at least favor those with a good working relationship. And it's not like Joker has the history that Banjo and Kazooie do.

No, Joker and Terry seem like rather off the wall choices. Especially Terry.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
You are right, because of what Sakurai said in that Twitch clip I posted here. Which only kind of confuses me alittle more. But if he has updated whatever he said with new information, I guess I gotta go along with it..

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The reasoning doesn't have to be the same every time, but Joker, kind of like Snake, is pretty much free advertisement for your competitors. Joker really doesn't have much reason to be picked by Nintendo when they won't even put the mainline game on their system.

And why couldn't DQXI influence it? If it isn't part of the deal to get them in Smash, then they could at least favor those with a good working relationship. And it's not like Joker has the history that Banjo and Kazooie do.

No, Joker and Terry seem like rather off the wall choices. Especially Terry.
i meant popular characters in reference to joker rather than a popular request for smash. the overall popularity of the character is probably what did it even if his requests for smash were low.

You are right, because of what Sakurai said in that Twitch clip I posted here. Which only kind of confuses me alittle more. But if he has updated whatever he said with new information, I guess I gotta go along with it..
we all need to not take everything sakurai says so seriously

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Sakurai's comment about there being too many sword fighters definitely has me worried that Rex will get the shaft again, NGL.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Sakurai's comment about there being too many sword fighters definitely has me worried that Rex will get the shaft again, NGL.
At least we know that it would be Nintendo giving our boy the shaft and not Sakurai. Maybe now people will stop whining that he has "Fire Emblem Bias."

Last edited:

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
That was directed towards Fire Emblem alone though. lol
Also, in an effort to make Byleth different from the rest of the FE cast already in the game, they gave Byleth the Hero Relics.
Edit: Scratch that, he is reliant on Blades despite having that thether thing to topple enemies, but he has unique abilities he can display--kind of like Shulk, but also not really.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
i meant popular characters in reference to joker rather than a popular request for smash. the overall popularity of the character is probably what did it even if his requests for smash were low.

we all need to not take everything sakurai says so seriously
I wouldn't be too surprised if Atlus initiated it. They do seem to love to push him any chance they get. Still, Smash didn't really need him. That's generally the case. Nintendo theoretically should have plenty of leverage when it comes to these things.

And, yeah, Sakurai is so inconsistent, his words should be taken with a grain of alt.
At least we know that it would be Nintendo giving our boy the shaft and not Sakurai. Maybe now people will stop whining that he has "Fire Emblem Bias."
Is that really any better though? Now we can potentially live with he knowledge that Nintendo themselves prioritize Terry over Rex.

Arthur97

Smash Master
that would explain why his outfit keeps turning up in things. personally i dont get it
Gotta milk his popularity for everything its worth. Kind of reminds me of Shovel Knight. Plus, they are part of Sega, and, while maybe not to this extent, they aren't that shy about throwing Sonic around.

See, I'm not convinced Joker has staying power, but by being in Smash, he's bound to at least be somewhat remembered. So, it may be a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy whereby being in Smash, he gains staying power.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
I'd hate Nintendo for that if he doesn't get in. Especially with how good the series did.

It'd be EVEN more fitting for him to get in considering this happened (its a meme a made, but whats in the picture frame happened.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom