• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'm hoping for some confirmation as to whether or not Alvis was the third Aegis that the Architect mentioned was lost. Despite the many clues and theories, ultimately there's no direct proof.

Also, many people--mineself included--have theorised that Planet Mira and the planet Shulk created are one in the same. If so, I would like some answers as to whom was translating the alien languages, and whom was responsible for the Mimeosomes keeping their consciousness intact, despite the database in the Lifehold Core being destoryed.

The biggest thing I'm hoping for is a teaser referring to a possible Xenoblade X sequel. I dare say, that game's ending left so many loose threads.
Even if Alvis is revealed as Ontos, something tells me we're going to see a tease/plot point in the game towards Xenoblade Chronicles 3.
But hopefully X 2 comes first to redeem the main story of the first game (World and Side Stories are still amazing). I don't to wait more 5 years for an answer to the cliffhanger .

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Regarding XC3 (huge XC1/XC2 spoilers):

There's a very good chance that the cast of XC1 are back in the "real world" (aka Alrest) at the end. Shulk wishes for a world without gods, right as the world that the XC1 universe spawned from was becoming...well, godless. And what better way to symbolize the death of the Conduit (aka "God") than by re-merging the two worlds that it split apart in the first place?

Also, the true Elysium is shown to be enormous. Plenty of room for the main casts of XC1 and XC2 to coexist yet without them being made immediately aware of each other.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It'd be neat if the theoretical XC3 had the cast of the first two games supporting the current main one. Some years would probably have to pass in the universe for that to happen, though.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I kinda like the ideas both RawkHawk and meleebrawler had for XC3.

Speaking of which, what would Xenoblade Chronicles 3 be like? Xenoblade 1 was unique because of the Visions while Xenoblade 2 had the appeal of Blades, so what should Xenoblade 3 offer to make it unique?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Personally, I really enjoyed the team-swap gimmick in Xenoblade 2: Torna. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing an expanded version of that, where you can customise your own trio. Blades could maybe discover a way to break off from their Drivers and live independently, without having to return to their Core Crystals. Although, to keep things 100% fresh, I could see them going with something totally new. Something that not only affects the gameplay, but also ties in with the plot.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Personally, I really enjoyed the team-swap gimmick in Xenoblade 2: Torna. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing an expanded version of that, where you can customise your own trio. Blades could maybe discover a way to break off from their Drivers and live independently, without having to return to their Core Crystals. Although, to keep things 100% fresh, I could see them going with something totally new. Something that not only affects the gameplay, but also ties in with the plot.
You mean, a way besides becoming a Flesh Eater?

With all major influences gone from both games, either a new one will invade, or the next game will take place in yet another universe.

Will the truth about the life cycle of Blades and Titans come out and drastically change how they're distributed? And will Core Crystals somehow make their way to the Bionis and Mechonis? Shulk is kind of powerless at the moment without his Monado... what a twist it'd be if he got it back by bonding with Malos's crystal that somehow survived, eh?

Altais

Smash Champion
You mean, a way besides becoming a Flesh Eater?
Yes, that's what I meant. The Overdrive item lets you switch a blade to a different driver. That said, the idea I had was that people could discover a technology that just outright severs the connection between the Blade and the Driver, without the former having to consume the latter's flesh. I also think it would be interesting if Blades discovered a way to restore all the memories they lost after returning to their Core Crystal.

We still don't know much about the ancient Samaarians, whom were mentioned in Xenoblade Chronicles X. That said, I do think introducing them as antagonists would be a great way to delve into their history.

If Xenoblade 3 ever gets made, I'd rather have a mostly new cast of playable characters, while Shulk, Rex, and the others make cameo appearances (similar to how Minoth appeared in the main story of Xenoblade 2, but was playable in the Torna spinoff). Perhaps the playable characters could be their children. For instance, aside from Shulk & Fiora, Reyn & Sharla could have eventually paired up and had a child. Rex and Mythra could also have had a child with special powers. If we did get a returning character, I think an elderly Riki would be pretty hilarious.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yes, that's what I meant. The Overdrive item lets you switch a blade to a different driver. That said, the idea I had was that people could discover a technology that just outright severs the connection between the Blade and the Driver, without the former having to consume the latter's flesh. I also think it would be interesting if Blades discovered a way to restore all the memories they lost after returning to their Core Crystal.

We still don't know much about the ancient Samaarians, whom were mentioned in Xenoblade Chronicles X. That said, I do think introducing them as antagonists would be a great way to delve into their history.

If Xenoblade 3 ever gets made, I'd rather have a mostly new cast of playable characters, while Shulk, Rex, and the others make cameo appearances (similar to how Minoth appeared in the main story of Xenoblade 2, but was playable in the Torna spinoff). Perhaps the playable characters could be their children. For instance, aside from Shulk & Fiora, Reyn & Sharla could have eventually paired up and had a child. Rex and Mythra could also have had a child with special powers. If we did get a returning character, I think an elderly Riki would be pretty hilarious.
I agree with this to a point, however I don't usually like it when older, grown-up characters are sidelined purely to give new ones the spotlight. Characters like Morag, Tora and Zeke have their own responsibilities and hobbies that can plausibly explain why they wouldn't be travelling on a quest, but I don't see why someone like Rex, Pyra & Mythra would stand by when s*** starts hitting the fan. They're still some of the strongest people in Alrest even if they no longer have godlike powers, plus have no particular ties to any nation. Introduce them later in the game if you have to.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Worth keeping in mind that The Experiment sent things from Klaus's world into multiple "distant dimensions" aka not just what we know as XC1's. (This may even be where Xenosaga originates considering the Conduit was dug out of Africa just like the Zohar was.) So...it's perfectly possible to maintain the tradition of a rotating cast/world while having it still take place in XC1/XC2's shared-DNA multidimensional setting. Even if the "DNA" happens to be mostly limited to just Nopon.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's just that the ending of XC2 feels very open-ended compared to the first, with a much bigger shift in the status quo. There's still a lot that could be done there.

Altais

Smash Champion
I really need to play Xenosaga. Also, I really hope Xenogears gets added to the Nintendo eShop.

I agree with this to a point, however I don't usually like it when older, grown-up characters are sidelined purely to give new ones the spotlight. Characters like Morag, Tora and Zeke have their own responsibilities and hobbies that can plausibly explain why they wouldn't be travelling on a quest, but I don't see why someone like Rex, Pyra & Mythra would stand by when s*** starts hitting the fan. They're still some of the strongest people in Alrest even if they no longer have godlike powers, plus have no particular ties to any nation. Introduce them later in the game if you have to.
Hmm, this gave me an idea. Perhaps 20-something year old Shulk could be playable, with the main character being his apprentice. In his twenties, I can see Shulk dressing very similarly to his own mentor, Dickson. Like Jade Curtiss from Tales of the Abyss, to even the odds something could happen to Shulk that causes him to lose a lot of his power. As for Rex, I could see him having his hands tied with the mercenary group, if he ever goes back.

For some reason, Iona has always stood out to me. That said, I think it would be interesting if she ended up as a playable character. She could fight very similarly to Minoth.

D

Deleted member

I seriously need to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

But I sadly have to clear my huge game backlog first. And I may have to take a small break from buying games after I finish it.

Heard great things about XC2, more so regarding music and gameplay.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I really need to play Xenosaga. Also, I really hope Xenogears gets added to the Nintendo eShop.

Hmm, this gave me an idea. Perhaps 20-something year old Shulk could be playable, with the main character being his apprentice. In his twenties, I can see Shulk dressing very similarly to his own mentor, Dickson. Like Jade Curtiss from Tales of the Abyss, to even the odds something could happen to Shulk that causes him to lose a lot of his power. As for Rex, I could see him having his hands tied with the mercenary group, if he ever goes back.

For some reason, Iona has always stood out to me. That said, I think it would be interesting if she ended up as a playable character. She could fight very similarly to Minoth.
Hasn't Shulk already lost his main power that is the Monado? He wished for a world with no gods, and that includes their implements and his own status. In that challenge DLC for 2 he acts surprised to have the Monado again, implying this is him and Fiora very shortly after the end of 1 (the mode may or may not be canon but the point still stands). Rex, Pyra and Mythra are in a similar boat with the Artifices and the Conduit going bye-bye, though the latter two are probably still pretty strong even without mech summoning or manipulating reality.

Good point about the mercenary group, though that isn't really as binding as working for or running a whole nation. If Rex does end up with a child that is part of the main cast, he may let him or her handle the initial incidents in the story as part of mercenary work or just from being busy initially, before world-threatening forces convince him to start helping personally.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Points well taken. I just thought that even without the Monado, Shulk would still be a pretty dangerous fighter, due to his experience. That said, though, perhaps I'm just overthinking things.

Also, that is true, about Rex. Vandham always had somebody take his place whenever he left the mercenary base--that said, I can see Rex doing the same.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Points well taken. I just thought that even without the Monado, Shulk would still be a pretty dangerous fighter, due to his experience. That said, though, perhaps I'm just overthinking things.

Also, that is true, about Rex. Vandham always had somebody take his place whenever he left the mercenary base--that said, I can see Rex doing the same.
Shulk is certainly an experienced fighter now if he wasn't before under Reyn's tutelage, but he is a scientist and researcher at heart and would rather spend his days in idle experimentation with his friends if he could help it. He'll step up when necessary and his arc in the game is about handling great power judiciously and responsibly.

Everything Rex does is motivated by a desire to help others, be it salvaging for money to send to his hometown, reaching Elysium for his new friend, or leading the mercenaries. He only balked at fighting or getting involved in military work at first due to naivete, but after that he'll do whatever he can to help as many people as possible.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm not sure if they'll talk about the post pass content in Thursday's Direct, but if they do I can see Rex being one of the first post pass characters to be revealed.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Er, back to the XC3 discussion, running into Rex's mercenaries could be a plot point. Throw in some arbitrary reason that he needs to take care of something else while the new protagonist does other things, and there you go, he's there and interacting in the world in a reasonable way, but he also isn't in the party. At least, not to start with.

If Shulk is there too, having him simply being a researcher would make sense. I would say at that point, Rex would be stronger though as I douvt Alvis would be around to function as his blade. At least not to start.

I would like to see an older Rex though.

Last edited:

cle

Smash Rookie
Heres hoping for Rex & Pyra/Mythra to get revealed tomorrow in the smash direct

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Heres hoping for Rex & Pyra/Mythra to get revealed tomorrow in the smash direct
Likely not FP5 but I hope there is a glimmer of hope given for post past DLC.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Eh, I'm going to remain gloomily pessimistic, and I'll probably still end up salty over whoever they reveal.

Though Rex as a teaser at the end might make up for a bad reveal.

Man, they kind of still part of Rex's potential shtick.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
With Byleth being fighter #5 I do consider it fairly likely for Rex + Aegis to be in the second pass considering it's basically confirmed now that it won't only be third parties. I guess we'll find out!

Arthur97

Smash Master
See, the problem is though, if they could manage to get TH content, they could have put Rex in already (like I have said before), but they didn't. That would seem to suggest that they just don't want to. Add that to the face he is increasingly irrelevant by the day, and his costume seemed to kill the hype for him, I don't think it looks too great.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So... how was Rex and Pyra too new for smash... but Byleth from a game that came out after smash released was OK for DLC?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Alright, I'm going to point out that, yes, Nintendo apparently gave him a list to choose from, but we have no idea who was on that list. Maybe Rex was, maybe he wasn't. It would seem logical that he would be, but we simply don't know. In whatever case, it seems ludicrous that they could make it and not Rex. Even a lot of FE fans probably didn't want any more. Though, I am happy it's first party at least, and they do at least look fun enough.

Definitive Edition is probably coming out around May so maybe they'll release him then as it should be enough time to finish another fighter. If they don't time him with that though, I'd say he's probably not making it, and if he doesn't make it in Ultimate, he's probably not making it at all.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys .... I know its a crazy theory ... but what if the reason why we now get 6 character slots instead of 5 is that they reserved a place for Rex&Pyra? I mean Sakurai mentioned that he played an early version of three houses meaning that the original dlc set could have been decided before release of smash bros. Therefore there was no time for Rex, but as Sakurai wanted him in .... they put another slot to dlc pack 2.....

Arthur97

Smash Master
Did he ever actually say he wanted them? I don't remember the exact wording. Not that I really trust this man. Three Houses' timing just seems to contradict it. Unless, he really did want them, but he had to negotiate to get them on the list. If that's the case, well, then he will have gained a little respect in my eyes I suppose.

Altais

Smash Champion
it's basically confirmed now that it won't only be third parties.
Source? All I remember Sakurai saying is that the fighters have already been finalised. Though, I could have missed something. Personally, I can see Fighter Pass 2 being the polar opposite of the first fighter pass, with only one or two third party characters and the rest being first party. At any rate, we shall see.

Anyhow, among realistic choices, Rex is definitely one of the characters I'm most hoping for, along with Elma. Similar to how Byleth wielded different weapons from his game, I can see Rex using multiple different Blades.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
See, the problem is though, if they could manage to get TH content, they could have put Rex in already (like I have said before), but they didn't. That would seem to suggest that they just don't want to. Add that to the face he is increasingly irrelevant by the day, and his costume seemed to kill the hype for him, I don't think it looks too great.
I don't know why you would think that Sakurai doesn't want Rex when he's said the opposite verbatim. The Mii costume was what he settled for, and considering that he has six more chances, and we know first-party choices are a thing again, Rex's chances would seem to be better than ever. Relevancy isn't an issue, just look at Banjo. And with XC Definitive Edition launching this year, which you know Nintendo will push coming off the strong sales of XC2, I'm not too worried.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I also never remember him saying directly that he wanted him, just that he was too late.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Honestly I think he has a greater chance now.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
inb4 Sakurai says Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is "too old" for Fighters Pass 2 (when it was "too new" for the game up until now) and we get more Mii costume pacifiers.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I would love for that to be true, but like I said, I shall remain the pessimist. His growing irrelevancy may also be an issue. While not the deciding factor, let's not pretend that Banjo & Kazooie were not wildly popular with Nintendo fans from the 64 era. On the flip side, Terry...I think he's popular in South America, but there isn't a huge install base there. There is some talk about a XC1 pick to sell DE, but that seems rather odd when Rex is there and more requested than probably all of them (no idea exactly how popular Fiora is).

I would love to be wrong, but until then, commence with the doom and gloom!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I'm really confused about XC2 chances for a rep. The most likely character is a costume, and the rest of the main party spirits. However, we now have a rep that came after Xenoblade 2's release date.

So I'd say our chances for a rep can go 1 of 3 ways:
1) Sakurai adds in Rex and Pyra like he always wanted and the costume stays since other promoted fighters still have their costumes like Chrom
2) Sakurai adds in a Torna duo like Lora/Jin or Addam/Mythra as a Xeno 2 representative
3) The timing was unfortunate and XC2 misses out on Smash DLC due to its December 2017 release and subsequent costume + spirits

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I also noticed that they didn't seem to add them to the big portrait. I wonder if there will be a later announcement before they drop which will include them being added like the Plant which I also don't think was added upon announcement.

Edit: Never mind, they put the clip on Twitter and apparently hadn't updated the website.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Source is the first party they just announced lol. For me that suggests the next 6 characters won't be all third party either, and I'm actually thinking there will be more first party in the second pass than just one.

Obviously he didn't make the cut for the first wave of DLC, but with 6 more characters on the way I think his chances have improved. And don't bring that "more irrelevant by the day" nonsense, Xenoblade 1 was 4 years old when Shulk was announced.

Top Bottom