• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
An idea for Rex & Pyra's Classic Mode route:

Teamwork is the Key. (This is a route about fighting characters that are two in one or more. Banjo & Kazooie and Joker aren't in it because they're DLC.)

Round 1: Ice Climbers. Stage: Great Bay.
Round 2: Olimar. Stage: Gormott.
Round 3: Rosalina & Luma. Stage: Bridge of Eldin.
Round 4: Duck Hunt. Stage: Temple (Omega form).
Round 5: Pokémon Trainer. Stage: Summit.
Round 6: Alph. Stage: Midgar.
Bonus Game.
Round 7: Shulk and blue coated Robin (he's stand in for Alvis). When Shulk and Robin are defeated, yellow shirted Pit will appear (he's a stand in for Zanza). Stage: Shadow Moses Island (Omega Form).

All of the stages are stand ins for some of the places you go to in Xenoblade 2 too.

Great Bay=Argentum.
Bridge of Eldin=Mor Ardain.
Temple=Leftherian Archipelago.
Summit=Kingdom of Tantal.
Midgar=Morytha.
Shadow Moses Island=Top of the World Tree.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Nothing is certain. Only seemingly probable.

The truth is that if Rex/Aegis make it into Ultimate, they'll likely come with more xenoblade music. If I go so far as to play the odds in this fickle game.. I'd say that them getting in with additional content or not getting in at all are more likely than them getting in with no additional content. I basically said this last post I think, but maybe less clearly.

Anyways.. the thing with wanting Rex/Aegis in this time as opposed to next game has partly to do, for me at least, with the idea that we'll likely never have a roster like this again. I want Rex/Aegis to play along side this roster. I want them to be part of this party.

As for waiting.. I'm patient. However, honestly, Rex/Aegis is a new and fresh desire for me so them to be included would be quite something. They'd come in red-hot for me. And that's the other factor in wanting them now as opposed to later. Even if my love of the series looks only to be growing and my interest wont ever go away.. there's no time like the present.

I was big into getting Elma in as well (and still am to a degree), tho XCX's western release timing was such that the ballot was mostly over by the time I actually started to get attached. Since, XC2 has eclipsed it for me and Elma is mostly a "if I could get two please?" hope for this game. Smash should at least have XCX music too, heh. To an extent, I've been interested in more xenoblade represenation since the first game and Shulk's reveal. He just happened to have been revealed when I was still new to the first game and wasn't necessarily even considering he could get included. Going even further back, I did play some Xenosaga but only at a friend's and never a full game.. but back then I never thought such a game would ever get Smash representation. Basically, I've been interested in more xeno representation for a while.. but Rex/Aegis have been a big desire for only the lifespan of XC2. So for me, I'm at the peak of my interest in both having another xenorep and in the series as a whole.

I was a big fan of Ridley joining but Sakurai kinda killed that for me last gen. I had to put that aside so as to not feel too badly. I had kinda decided I could live without. Was surreal when he got revealed. I was still very hyped.. but it was also like the moment had passed. I don't want the moment to pass for Rex/Aegis. I want this to happen while my love of them and their game is still at it's height. While they're relevance is still high. That said.. XC2 has probably been my game of the decade. No single player experience have I put more time into on switch, or maybe on any console this decade. I think I'll still have high interest for their inclusion by the time the next Smash is coming along.. even if it's possibly far into the future. But now is so ideal on a lot of levels for me. I want them to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.
I just wanted to add that this sums up my thoughts on why I'd prefer Rex being added in Ultimate rather than the next Smash game pretty well. XC2 is still fresh for me (and I actually am still playing it nowadays because of the vast amount of endgame content), and Rex + Mythra/Pyra in Smash is my biggest wish. It would combine my 2 most played games on the Switch, one of which is my favourite singleplayer game and the other being my favourite multiplayer game. Please, just make it happen. As always, I need to not get my expectations too high, but I just want it so bad lol.

Most of the DLC speculation revolves around third parties, which makes sense considering the first pass will most likely be only that. I did see a mention there of the developers tinkering around with Ice Climbers, which turned out to be false. But it made me think, what would be your most preferred gameplay mechanic assuming Rex + Aegis makes it in? Would you like them to be like Ice Climbers, following eachother around on the stage? Or would you prefer them to work more like Pokemon Trainer, with down B allowing you to swap from Rex to Pyra to Mythra? You could also just have the Aegis permanently in the background, and switching between Pyra and Mythra would change the properties of your attacks and possibly provide different buffs. Or would you like something else altogether?

Personally I'd like for Mythra and Pyra to be playable to some degree, so I would like a PT swapping mechanic involving the Aegis having a moveset the most. On the other hand, the Aegis just standing in the background providing buffs seems relatively dull to me considering I'd be more hyped for them being included in the game than Rex specifically. But even then, I certainly won't complain.

Movesets have been discussed before of course but I figured it's been a while, and this thread hasn't been as active as I'd like.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
An idea for Rex & Pyra's Classic Mode route:

Teamwork is the Key. (This is a route about fighting characters that are two in one or more. Banjo & Kazooie and Joker aren't in it because they're DLC.)

Round 1: Ice Climbers. Stage: Great Bay.
Round 2: Olimar. Stage: Gormott.
Round 3: Rosalina & Luma. Stage: Bridge of Eldin.
Round 4: Duck Hunt. Stage: Temple (Omega form).
Round 5: Pokémon Trainer. Stage: Summit.
Round 6: Alph. Stage: Midgar.
Bonus Game.
Round 7: Shulk and blue coated Robin (he's stand in for Alvis). When Shulk and Robin are defeated, yellow shirted Pit will appear (he's a stand in for Zanza). Stage: Shadow Moses Island (Omega Form).

All of the stages are stand ins for some of the places you go to in Xenoblade 2 too.

Great Bay=Argentum.
Bridge of Eldin=Mor Ardain.
Temple=Leftherian Archipelago.
Summit=Kingdom of Tantal.
Midgar=Morytha.
Shadow Moses Island=Top of the World Tree.

This is a good Classic Mode route idea.

Inkling Man

Smash Apprentice
Rex & Pyra could work as an Ice Climber style duo except Pyra doesn't fight, she just lends her power to Rex and helps him perform certain attacks like Burning Sword. She can also transform into Mythra. Both Pyra and Mythra give Rex different buffs by lending him their power but if he gets separated from them, they won't be able to lend any power to him and his attacks will do less damage.

Moveset:

B (with Pyra): Flames. Rex casts a flame from his sword that travels fast and far across the stage. Rex cannot do this move if he's too far away from Pyra.

B (with Mythra): Light Shine. Rex casts a ray of light from his sword that reaches across the stage and it damages all opponents caught in it but it doesn't make them flinch. Rex cannot do this move if he's too far away from Mythra.

Side B (with Pyra): Burning Sword. This move has a slow startup but it makes a giant pillar of fire appear on the stage. Rex cannot do this move if he's too far away from Pyra.

Side B (with Mythra): Sacred Arrow. This move makes a large arrow made of light fall from the sky and land on the ground in front of Rex. Rex cannot do this move if he's too far away from Mythra.

Up B: Anchor Shot. Press and hold B and then move the control stick to aim it in any direction and then let go of B to fire it. When used in the air it automatically grabs the edge of a stage.

Down B: Transform. Pyra transforms into Mythra. Do the down special again to make her turn back into Pyra.

Final Smash: Artifice Siren. Rex & Pyra get Artifice Siren to blast the stage with a powerful laser like the Bahamet Zero summon from the Midgar stage does.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
These are mods for sm4sh and I actually found this video a long time ago but uggh it reminds me how bad I want more XC2 music in Smash :cry:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I just wanted to add that this sums up my thoughts on why I'd prefer Rex being added in Ultimate rather than the next Smash game pretty well. XC2 is still fresh for me (and I actually am still playing it nowadays because of the vast amount of endgame content), and Rex + Mythra/Pyra in Smash is my biggest wish. It would combine my 2 most played games on the Switch, one of which is my favourite singleplayer game and the other being my favourite multiplayer game. Please, just make it happen. As always, I need to not get my expectations too high, but I just want it so bad lol.

Most of the DLC speculation revolves around third parties, which makes sense considering the first pass will most likely be only that. I did see a mention there of the developers tinkering around with Ice Climbers, which turned out to be false. But it made me think, what would be your most preferred gameplay mechanic assuming Rex + Aegis makes it in? Would you like them to be like Ice Climbers, following eachother around on the stage? Or would you prefer them to work more like Pokemon Trainer, with down B allowing you to swap from Rex to Pyra to Mythra? You could also just have the Aegis permanently in the background, and switching between Pyra and Mythra would change the properties of your attacks and possibly provide different buffs. Or would you like something else altogether?

Personally I'd like for Mythra and Pyra to be playable to some degree, so I would like a PT swapping mechanic involving the Aegis having a moveset the most. On the other hand, the Aegis just standing in the background providing buffs seems relatively dull to me considering I'd be more hyped for them being included in the game than Rex specifically. But even then, I certainly won't complain.

Movesets have been discussed before of course but I figured it's been a while, and this thread hasn't been as active as I'd like.
Admittedly, I've never had a real concrete notion of how Rex and Aegis should play. I think I'd prefer them to be a straight up like Pokemon Trainer in a way with three different characters, but also some aspects of Arsen and ICs in there. But that might be overly complicated. The truth is, to make them as true as possible to their source material, I'll confess we might end up with a very complicated character. One that I might actually have a hard time learning, but would love the opportunity all the same.. being a huge xeno fan. If they are added, I trust Sakurai will figure it out.

"Briefly" I'll mention some ideas I've had about their moveset however...
- Ability to swap between three different characters (referencing Torna) with no hard limits but some benefits to swapping such as attack cancels and moves buffered out of swap (referencing attack cancels and qtes)
- Swapping would be lagless, but also not spammable.. there would be a cooldown time until it could be activated again.
- Characters would still be present on screen when not the active party member, similar to Pokemon Trainer, and would act as the rear guard to the active fighter.
- There would be an Affinity meter effect similar to Cloud's Limit or Incineroar's counter in that it could alter the animation, effects, and power of a special or smash either as a one time use or as a quickly vanishing window of opportunity... these altered moves would resemble blade combos with the rear guard character coming up to assist on the battlefield.
- Via a separate unique input, like they did for Inkling refill, Rex can swap his rear guard between Pyra or Mythra for different buffs, not dissimilar to the effect of Monado arts tho not as drastic. Pyra's passive effect would be relatively higher knockback at the cost of damage and speed, while Mythra's could be relatively faster speed and higher damage at the cost of knockback. Depending on which blade Rex had as his rear guard, the appearance and effect of his attacks during his "limit" would be different as well. There would be no baseline Rex as he always has to have a blade as his rear guard.
- If Pyra or Mythra are the active fighter, Rex essentially does nothing special as the rear guard as any buffs he'd provide would be inherent to the character. He'd still come up and help in specials/smashes when their version of "limit" became active. This makes Pyra or Mythra inherently less complicated characters than Rex, if considered their own characters.
- Each of the three characters would have their own strengths and weaknesses, but hopefully not be so different as to make one obviously better than the others. The major case that would be made for swapping often or at least some, would be the benefit of "attack cancels" and buffering low lag versions of moves to come out right after the swap for combos. A popular theoretical combo could be swapping off Mythra immediately after hit to combo into a higher knockback Pyra move.
- Finally, the Final Smash would be essentially the same for each character. It would be chain attack, naturally. Only a few animations would be different depending on active character. A fun thing to do however, is that depending on which of the two versions of the aegis are active.. the helping party members in the background could change. A simple idea would be.. if Pyra is active or is Rex's active blade, then the helping team members can be Nia/Dromarch and Tora/Poppi a. Mythra could alternatively cameo Morag/Brighid and Zeke/Pandy. I'm thinking it would be a simple mash of the three characters using a move in a matter of seconds similar to Shulk's, but it would finish with the silhouette of Pneuma (because spoilers) suddenly appearing, sword in the air, summoning Siren to finish with the particle cannon straight down on the battlefield.

Beyond that, I've not bothered too much with the details of each individual input. I think those are more straight forward and likely to feel right whether Sakurai and team simply make a full Rex moveset or a moveset for three different characters. The interesting part for me is thinking about special mechanics and referencing as much of the xc2 battle system as feasible. Yeah, it's pretty complicated I guess. It's not a great fit for a fighting game on the surface, but I think the few ideas I've had are quite workable.

Completely unrelated fun fact for Gamma Ray....
Your avatar pic (least the full version of the pic your avatar comes from) was one of my reference pics for when I made my own avatar.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Admittedly, I've never had a real concrete notion of how Rex and Aegis should play. I think I'd prefer them to be a straight up like Pokemon Trainer in a way with three different characters, but also some aspects of Arsen and ICs in there. But that might be overly complicated. The truth is, to make them as true as possible to their source material, I'll confess we might end up with a very complicated character. One that I might actually have a hard time learning, but would love the opportunity all the same.. being a huge xeno fan. If they are added, I trust Sakurai will figure it out.

- Ability to swap between three different characters (referencing Torna) with no hard limits but some benefits to swapping such as attack cancels and moves buffered out of swap (referencing attack cancels and qtes)
- Swapping would be lagless, but also not spammable.. there would be a cooldown time until it could be activated again.
- Characters would still be present on screen when not the active party member, similar to Pokemon Trainer, and would act as the rear guard to the active fighter.
- There would be an Affinity meter effect similar to Cloud's Limit or Incineroar's counter in that it could alter the animation, effects, and power of a special or smash either as a one time use or as a quickly vanishing window of opportunity... these altered moves would resemble blade combos with the rear guard character coming up to assist on the battlefield.
- Via a separate unique input, like they did for Inkling refill, Rex can swap his rear guard between Pyra or Mythra for different buffs, not dissimilar to the effect of Monado arts tho not as drastic. Pyra's passive effect would be relatively higher knockback at the cost of damage and speed, while Mythra's could be relatively faster speed and higher damage at the cost of knockback. Depending on which blade Rex had as his rear guard, the appearance and effect of his attacks during his "limit" would be different as well. There would be no baseline Rex as he always has to have a blade as his rear guard.
- If Pyra or Mythra are the active fighter, Rex essentially does nothing special as the rear guard as any buffs he'd provide would be inherent to the character. He'd still come up and help in specials/smashes when their version of "limit" became active. This makes Pyra or Mythra inherently less complicated characters than Rex, if considered their own characters.
- Each of the three characters would have their own strengths and weaknesses, but hopefully not be so different as to make one obviously better than the others. The major case that would be made for swapping often or at least some, would be the benefit of "attack cancels" and buffering low lag versions of moves to come out right after the swap for combos. A popular theoretical combo could be swapping off Mythra immediately after hit to combo into a higher knockback Pyra move.
- Finally, the Final Smash would be essentially the same for each character. It would be chain attack, naturally. Only a few animations would be different depending on active character. A fun thing to do however, is that depending on which of the two versions of the aegis are active.. the helping party members in the background could change. A simple idea would be.. if Pyra is active or is Rex's active blade, then the helping team members can be Nia/Dromarch and Tora/Poppi a. Mythra could alternatively cameo Morag/Brighid and Zeke/Pandy. I'm thinking it would be a simple mash of the three characters using a move in a matter of seconds similar to Shulk's, but it would finish with the silhouette of Pneuma (because spoilers) suddenly appearing, sword in the air, summoning Siren to finish with the particle cannon straight down on the battlefield.

Beyond that, I've not bothered too much with the details of each individual input. I think those are more straight forward and likely to feel right whether Sakurai and team simply make a full Rex moveset or a moveset for three different characters. The interesting part for me is thinking about special mechanics and referencing as much of the xc2 battle system as feasible. Yeah, it's pretty complicated I guess. It's not a great fit for a fighting game on the surface, but I think the few ideas I've had are quite workable.

Your avatar pic (least the full version of the pic your avatar comes from) was one of my reference pics for when I made my own avatar.
I always thought the switching mechanic could be different from Pkmn Trainer if they used the switch attacks or whatever they're called from Torna. So if you press down + B, Rex says like, "Here!" tosses the sword up a bit and Pyra/Mythra dashes forward, grabs it and slashes or something and now is the playable character.

Edit: And while that sounds kind of slow, obviously it would be occurring in a short amount of time, similar to how Pkmn Trainer says "Return!", throws a ball, a Pokemon goes in and another comes out all within like, 1.0 - 1.5 seconds.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice

These are already some really nice ideas, which to me also illustrates the point that they have a lot of moveset potential, even if it might not be easy to implement into Smash while trying to stay very faithful to the game. One question is how many liberties Sakurai would end up taking and where there the moveset might be less relevent to the gameplay in XC2 itself.

I've actually had a moveset in mind for Mythra specifically, when she's swapped in from the background.

Down B: This one is obvious, swapping back to Rex. You could also have a special imput (shield + B) and swap Mythra to Pyra (and the other way around).

Side B: Photon Edge. It would function in a similar way to Marth and Lucina's Dancing Blade, but with a slower startup and invulnerability during the move itself. I imagine it covering a bit more terrain, too.

Neutral B: Siren. Mythra can target a spot on the stage and have Siren fire a blast upon it. Targeting works similar to how you use Greninja's Shadow Sneak, but it's faster and more flexible, while having less knockback.

Up B: Teleport towards towards a location (can be inputted by tilting your control stick towards your desired location after inputting up B) and perform an attack. Obviously this can be used as a means to recover. This is not directly based on any of her ingame skills, but rather her apparent ability in cutscenes to disappear from one spot and re-appear behind an opponent to attack them. Photon Edge seems to have her teleport around to attack, too (and I believe that in the story, near light-speed movement is part of her capabilities).

None of her other abilities made much sense as an up B to me, but feel free to fill me in if I missed something. I also thought of including Foresight as a skill, but I imagine it would simply be another form of a Shulk counter (and swordfighters have plenty of counters in Smash already lol). Instead it can be a simple movement speed buff when she's at max affinity with Rex (that would be close to how it works in XC2 anyway).

I haven't really thought much about a Pyra moveset yet, but I'm pretty sure I could come up with something for her too. I'm a bit partial towards Mythra, sorry. But if people are interested I could post something for Pyra at some point as well.

I always thought the switching mechanic could be different from Pkmn Trainer if they used the switch attacks or whatever they're called from Torna. So if you press down + B, Rex says like, "Here!" tosses the sword up a bit and Pyra/Mythra dashes forward, grabs it and slashes or something and now is the playable character.
This is actually also what I had in mind, I think it would be a nice mechanic to set it apart from Pokemon Trainer.

Haha I actually really liked your avatar, so I tried to find a source for it. Considering you made it yourself it's no surprise I couldn't find any. It looks awesome, nice job :D

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Another youtube video predicting high chances for Rex&Pyra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW5RqAxlkig

To the movement discussion: I honestly think they will go the joker route with Rex&Pyra. Meaning that they will design the character with alongside the style of the game instead of actual gameplay. So basically they will fight like in the cutscenes of XC2 instead of the actual game.

Therefore I predict:

- No second/third/ etc blade (maybe Mythra as a skin but nothing else)
- Tag Team focussed gameplay where both chars are used for attacks.
- High Mobility and long range moves. Just remember how they flyed around in some of the cutscenes

cle

Smash Rookie
Another youtube video predicting high chances for Rex&Pyra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW5RqAxlkig

To the movement discussion: I honestly think they will go the joker route with Rex&Pyra. Meaning that they will design the character with alongside the style of the game instead of actual gameplay. So basically they will fight like in the cutscenes of XC2 instead of the actual game.

Therefore I predict:

- No second/third/ etc blade (maybe Mythra as a skin but nothing else)
- Tag Team focussed gameplay where both chars are used for attacks.
- High Mobility and long range moves. Just remember how they flyed around in some of the cutscenes
well if its gonna be like in the cutscenes may I present: https://youtu.be/wmmu96HZbUI

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
To me predicting Rex for fighter #5 is a really interesting take. The general consensus is a third party character for that spot, and also that Rex's chances are a lot better post-pass. Either the guy knows more than we all do or he's simply optimistic about his odds for fighter #5 without any particular compelling reason. Sure, it would've been the last chance for including Rex in case there wouldn't have been additional DLC, but would Sakurai have bothered apologizing for him had he already been planned? Considering his apology was for the base roster specifically it's possible to be the case but I'm not sure I find it all that likely. I would like to believe it though, for sure.

The one thing I find strange (and I already touched upon this in the general newcomer thread) is the decision to make a consolation mii costume and then lock it into a $25 fighter pass. But I don't know if this is to be taken as any kind of a hint at all.

D

Deleted member

Apparently it was the anniversary of XC2, so I wanted to share this:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
say was that dual characters thing ever debunked
If I recall correctly, someone just misunderstood a comment about an Ice Climbers mod and thought it implied the developers had been tinkering around with them, which was not the case. So yeah, you can consider it debunked.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If I recall correctly, someone just misunderstood a comment about an Ice Climbers mod and thought it implied the developers had been tinkering around with them, which was not the case. So yeah, you can consider it debunked.
thought it must have been as it went quiet so quickly, thanks

cle

Smash Rookie
Well I meant the battle heavy cutscenes - not the one were thery were talking for hours ;)
Well I mean the first 50 seconds of this specific cutscene shows the battle sequence between Rex & Pyra/Mythra and Morag and Brighid. It can really give perspective of how Rex & Pyra/Mythra would work in battle and the ease of transition between the two Aegises, its one of the very few examples in the game where the Aegises switch between each other to utilize the different abilities they both posses in a quick manner. Just thought if they really were going to “fight like in the cutscenes of XC2” this would be one of the prime examples they could use.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have a question regarding Brawlfan1’s Rex moveset video. That video consisted of Rex being able to Switch between an Aegis Sword moveset with Pyra (with Mythra appearing on rare occurrences), a Dual Scythe moveset with Roc, and an Ether Cannon moveset with KOS-MOS.

But since Xenosaga is its own series, rumors and speculation that have been flying around suggesting KOS-MOS might be Challenger Pack 5, and, in my opinion at least, KOS-MOS being her own character being the more favorable option, I have to ask.

Which Ether Cannon Blade would you guys choose for Rex to have in that moveset instead of KOS-MOS?

I’m personally leaning towards Herald myself.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Out of Azami, Sheba, and Herald...yeah, definitely Herald.

(inb4 "she's too big")

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Just popping in to give my support. I don't care about the Mii Costume, until the DLC is entirely done I'll still hold hope for Rex + Pyra/Mythra :)

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Been pretty quiet in here, have to admit. Have a little draw I did a while back but decided to roughly color just today...

Untitled37_20191229230349.png

Some friends a couple weeks ago asked me to draw something xenobladey since they know how much I love xenoblade. I decided to express my smash desires at the same time, and dubbed it a "blessed image", heh. Relevant to all our desires perhaps.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
FINALLY had the time & energy to update the OP. Along with an introduction, it now contains solid reasons as to why Rex should be in Smash Ultimate. I might add more, should I find it relevant.
good on ya, i almost never update my OPs

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I'm still contemplating the chances for Rex + Mythra/Pyra for fighter #5 or as a bonus fighter like PP. There's a few factors that make him less likely to be #5 to most people (trend of third parties, mii costume and spirits), but there's also a few things that may make him more likely than you'd expect (though I'm not going to pretend he's a lock by any stretch of the imagination).

I'm going to list a few things, one of which I've mentioned before already but I kinda want to paint a full picture here:

-Sakurai has praised XC2 and is a fan of the game
-He has said that he's not a fan of the idea of a season pass, stating it might be scary to purchase something without knowing what exactly you're getting
-He decided to apologize for not being to include Rex in the base roster
-He made a consolation Mii costume hoping it would help you feel like you're playing as Rex
-The costume is locked behind the fighters pass

As I've said, I've already talked about how strange I find it that the costume is tied to the fighters pass. But after giving it more thought, considering Sakurai didn't even like the idea of a season pass, him then locking the mii costume behind said pass for a game he enjoys makes even less sense, especially when he was trying to apologize to fans of said game.

Considering there's a good chance #5 is another third party character, Rex + Aegis isn't necessarily the next DLC. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bonus that's free for people who bought the first pass or something.

But as always, I musn't get my hopes up too much either. This all could simply be a really strange way of handling a Mii costume. In the end, I prefer to be cautiously optimistic.

Xelha

Smash Rookie
I'm still contemplating the chances for Rex + Mythra/Pyra for fighter #5 or as a bonus fighter like PP. There's a few factors that make him less likely to be #5 to most people (trend of third parties, mii costume and spirits), but there's also a few things that may make him more likely than you'd expect (though I'm not going to pretend he's a lock by any stretch of the imagination).

I'm going to list a few things, one of which I've mentioned before already but I kinda want to paint a full picture here:

-He has said that he's not a fan of the idea of a season pass, stating it might be scary to purchase something without knowing what exactly you're getting
-He made a consolation Mii costume hoping it would help you feel like you're playing as Rex

As I've said, I've already talked about how strange I find it that the costume is tied to the fighters pass. But after giving it more thought, considering Sakurai didn't even like the idea of a season pass, him then locking the mii costume behind said pass for a game he enjoys makes even less sense, especially when he was trying to apologize to fans of said game.

Considering there's a good chance #5 is another third party character, Rex + Aegis isn't necessarily the next DLC. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bonus that's free for people who bought the first pass or something.

But as always, I musn't get my hopes up too much either. This all could simply be a really strange way of handling a Mii costume. In the end, I prefer to be cautiously optimistic.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. And a few other things in his favor....

- Why was Mythra's Spirit redesigned/covered up so much? That seems a bit overkill for a 2D image
- If Nia's Mii costume is in the base game, why isn't Rex's?
- Underwhelming song selection to represent XC2
- This image could be a hint?

So we have all four fighters pass characters taking up a space in each corner, with a bonus Piranha Plant. These are all the new DLC characters, except.......why are Mario and Daisy there, and in the center? Could they possibly represent Rex and Pyra/Mythra?!

- Short male main character in blue = Rex
- Taller female character that's an echo of another nearly identical female character = Pyra is an alternate form to Mythra

I know this is reaching a lot, but it's odd that Mario and Daisy (not Peach for some reason) is randomly there in what seems to be a picture celebrating the Fighters Pass.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Why was Mythra's Spirit redesigned/covered up so much? That seems a bit overkill for a 2D image
Don't think this one holds much weight, because Camilla from Fire Emblem was covered up too and I'm 99% sure she will never be in Smash.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i suppose its always possible the idea to tie the rex costume to the pass was suggested to sakurai by someone else, there are some things that suggest he'll do something if theres enough people telling him to to it (corrin, ridley)

- Why was Mythra's Spirit redesigned/covered up so much? That seems a bit overkill for a 2D image
theyre all censored, that doesnt mean anything

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
- This image could be a hint?

So we have all four fighters pass characters taking up a space in each corner, with a bonus Piranha Plant. These are all the new DLC characters, except.......why are Mario and Daisy there, and in the center? Could they possibly represent Rex and Pyra/Mythra?!

- Short male main character in blue = Rex
- Taller female character that's an echo of another nearly identical female character = Pyra is an alternate form to Mythra

I know this is reaching a lot, but it's odd that Mario and Daisy (not Peach for some reason) is randomly there in what seems to be a picture celebrating the Fighters Pass.
I've never really put much faith in Daisy theory, and I especially wouldn't take it as a hint towards Rex + Aegis. Like you mentioned yourself, it's a bit of a reach haha.

Don't think this one holds much weight, because Camilla from Fire Emblem was covered up too and I'm 99% sure she will never be in Smash.
While I don't think Camilla will be in Smash either, the way Mythra is censored is a bit peculiar regardless. They could've just covered up her cleavage, but they went the additional mile to cover up her legs completely too. There are spirits who show just as much leg and more skin in general, and they also didn't bother censoring Camilla's upper thighs either, which appears to reveal some kind of undergarment. Mythra seems censored in a way that could lend itself to an actual game model that is CERO-appropriate. While this on its own doesn't serve as much evidence, I find it an interesting aspect that I do take into consideration.

i suppose its always possible the idea to tie the rex costume to the pass was suggested to sakurai by someone else, there are some things that suggest he'll do something if theres enough people telling him to to it (corrin, ridley)
Even assuming it was a suggestion by someone else, he still would've had to agree to it. And unlike Corrin (promoting a new release) and Ridley (fan demand), the Rex costume situation just doesn't make sense to me. Why do it that way? If it was to promote the fighters pass, I think there would've been other and more appropriate/better Mii costume options that aren't so controversial. I also highly doubt even the biggest Xenoblade 2 fans bought the season pass for the Rex costume alone, I bought the pass myself and haven't used the costume once. I don't know, when I look at the Mii I'm just.. not really feeling it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Even assuming it was a suggestion by someone else, he still would've had to agree to it. And unlike Corrin (promoting a new release) and Ridley (fan demand), the Rex costume situation just doesn't make sense to me. Why do it that way? If it was to promote the fighters pass, I think there would've been other and more appropriate/better Mii costume options that aren't so controversial. I also highly doubt even the biggest Xenoblade 2 fans bought the season pass for the Rex costume alone, I bought the pass myself and haven't used the costume once. I don't know, when I look at the Mii I'm just.. not really feeling it.
well corrin was peer pressure not promotion. but to be honest we might be over thinking it a bit, maybe the reason why no reason we can think of for why he did it is cause he had no reason, he just did it. sakurai is an odd person a lot of things he does dont make sense

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
well corrin was peer pressure not promotion. but to be honest we might be over thinking it a bit, maybe the reason why no reason we can think of for why he did it is cause he had no reason, he just did it. sakurai is an odd person a lot of things he does dont make sense
I like to believe he makes decisions like that for reasons other than "just because," but of course it's possible there isn't too much of a significance as to why he bundled the Mii costume with the fighters pass. In the end, this is just speculation and I'm only bringing up things for consideration. That's why I'm prefacing things saying I definitely don't think Rex is guaranteed, and I consider his chances to be about 50-50 for making it into Ultimate. Either result wouldn't surprise me, though obviously one would make me happy whereas the other.. not so much.

Xelha

Smash Rookie

theyre all censored, that doesnt mean anything
No other Spirit was censored as much as Mythra though. It was changed so much they even released it as an official free costume, which is another odd thing I forgot to mention. If they just covered her cleavage like Camilla I wouldn't think much of it, but her legs were left uncovered. Mythra got both covered and they promoted the redesign. It just seems weird for a Spirit.

But this is ok for a spirit?

It seems like they let a lot slide with a Spirit as long as the boobs aren't too big and in your face. And they don't seem to care at all about butt or thigh showing either. So why did it happen to Mythra? It only makes sense to cover her legs if you're trying to prevent any kind of upskirt shot, which doesn't make sense for just a Spirit based on what else we see in the game.

I know a lot of people think his chances are pretty much dead, but I still think Rex is very likely for #5 or at least #6 when the next fighters start coming out. For first party characters at least, he has the most in has favor.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No other Spirit was censored as much as Mythra though. It was changed so much they even released it as an official free costume, which is another odd thing I forgot to mention. If they just covered her cleavage like Camilla I wouldn't think much of it, but her legs were left uncovered. Mythra got both covered and they promoted the redesign. It just seems weird for a Spirit.

It seems like they let a lot slide with a Spirit as long as the boobs aren't too big and in your face. And they don't seem to care at all about butt or thigh showing either. So why did it happen to Mythra? It only makes sense to cover her legs if you're trying to prevent any kind of upskirt shot, which doesn't make sense for just a Spirit based on what else we see in the game.

I know a lot of people think his chances are pretty much dead, but I still think Rex is very likely for #5 or at least #6 when the next fighters start coming out. For first party characters at least, he has the most in has favor.
I suppose you're thinking along the lines of that Sakurai interview about CERO that was revealed a while back where they had the female characters go through a ''panty test'' to determine if you could see them while the character was upside down, regardless of unlikelihood?

But then, we've had instances of Palutena's undergarments getting flashed by wonky dress physics so maybe sometimes these things slip through the cracks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I like to believe he makes decisions like that for reasons other than "just because," but of course it's possible there isn't too much of a significance as to why he bundled the Mii costume with the fighters pass. In the end, this is just speculation and I'm only bringing up things for consideration. That's why I'm prefacing things saying I definitely don't think Rex is guaranteed, and I consider his chances to be about 50-50 for making it into Ultimate. Either result wouldn't surprise me, though obviously one would make me happy whereas the other.. not so much.
yeah it probably is very 50-50 for a lot of potential characters

i imagine there's a variety of different factors the censors take into consideration, those ones probably could have been censored a bit, the designs inclusion in xc2 always seemed like their way of promoting ultimate. im not sure there is much to her being more censored than other characters.

anyone who thinks rex's chances are dead have missed the fact that sakurai is a guy who will do what he wants regardless of fan rules and things hes said in the past

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Here's one more supporter for Rex (and Pyra/Mythra as well)! Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is my favorite game of all time and there's so much untapped potential with Xenoblade representation in Smash that could fulfill a lot of blanks. Imagine chaining Arts and Specials while switching between Blades, using Blade and Driver Combos, keeping both together within affinity range, all while fighting in one of the breathtaking vistas of one of the Titans (or all of them!) and listening to Incoming!, Mor Ardain's or Tantal's Day Theme! Just the thought makes me excited!

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Who here is hoping for some 2 references in Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition?

Maybe it could be a bonus mode with Rex and the Aegis, or
they retcon the ending to reference what happens in the other universe?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Personally, I'm hoping for some confirmation as to whether or not Alvis was the third Aegis that the Architect mentioned was lost. Despite the many clues and theories, ultimately there's no direct proof.

Also, many people--mineself included--have theorised that Planet Mira and the planet Shulk created are one in the same. If so, I would like some answers as to whom was translating the alien languages, and whom was responsible for the Mimeosomes keeping their consciousness intact, despite the database in the Lifehold Core being destoryed.

The biggest thing I'm hoping for is a teaser referring to a possible Xenoblade X sequel. I dare say, that game's ending left so many loose threads.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I'll be surprised if the ending is kept as is. Pre-Zanza Klaus being shown to be as one-dimensional as he was afterwards always seemed like half-baked lore, and wasn't it confirmed somewhere that XC1's ending was stripped down because people found it too confusing? It may have featured the very depiction of Klaus that XC2 expanded upon.

The Nopon Archsage has no excuse not to come back. Either him or a Nopon "Halfsage" like the one that appeared in Torna.

Top Bottom