• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Just add Rex & Pyra without all that stuff. Just like Piranha Plant.

(We need Mor Ardain theme though...)

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Just add Rex & Pyra without all that stuff. Just like Piranha Plant.

(We need Mor Ardain theme though...)
Interesting thought. Hypotechnical question for all that feel inspired: If you have to choose between getting Rex&Pyra now but without any music, stages or spirit or waiting for next smash (lets say 4 years) but getting the full package. What would you choose?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Interesting thought. Hypotechnical question for all that feel inspired: If you have to choose between getting Rex&Pyra now but without any music, stages or spirit or waiting for next smash (lets say 4 years) but getting the full package. What would you choose?
Well, considering we already have spirits and a couple songs, I’d say get them now. I can sacrifice a stage if it means Rex&Pyra sooner (even if not all the good songs are there).

Last edited:

Korar

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5170-5706-7228
Now, for sure.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Did somebody mention Mor Ardain and music?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I can think of a lot of songs I want added.. will just say. I've made a playlist here before where I had a hard time just listing 10 songs I'd add. The game is full of great music and, tbh, the song selection we have from XC2 now is surprisingly weak considering what the game has to offer. Imo, most of the other battles themes are stronger (tho maybe heard less often) than the few they have in Smash now. Basically, would be a bummer if we didn't get some more songs along with a potential Rex/Aegis confirmation.

That said.. I'd live without if it meant getting them at all. I doubt it'll be that way though. It's gonna be confirmation with additional content or none at all probably.

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Interesting that you all seem to prefer having Rex&Pyra now but without stage&music instead of later but complete. I must say that i exspecially like the dlcs so far because they are the complete package with their own stage etc. More than Piranha who doesnt come with one.

But thats maybe because I am quite the casual who plays lots of characters (mainly on their appropiate stages) instead of maining one or two.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Interesting that you all seem to prefer having Rex&Pyra now but without stage&music instead of later but complete. I must say that i exspecially like the dlcs so far because they are the complete package with their own stage etc. More than Piranha who doesnt come with one.
Personally I'm not patient enough to wait 4+ years. Mythra is my favourite character so I really would like for her to be playable to some degree, together with Rex and Pyra of course. I'm more than willing to miss out on additional stages and music if it means they'll be included in the roster sooner rather than later (though it would be a shame because there's so many good tracks to choose from).

But let's be honest, Rex and Mythra/Pyra are pretty much a lock for the next Smash game, regardless of whether or not they make it into Ultimate through DLC. And they will have a lot more music and a stage or two to accompany them. So for Ultimate I will take whatever I can get, but we can only wait and see.

D

Deleted member

Personally I'm not patient enough to wait 4+ years. Mythra is my favourite character so I really would like for her to be playable to some degree, together with Rex and Pyra of course. I'm more than willing to miss out on additional stages and music if it means they'll be included in the roster sooner rather than later (though it would be a shame because there's so many good tracks to choose from).

But let's be honest, Rex and Mythra/Pyra are pretty much a lock for the next Smash game, regardless of whether or not they make it into Ultimate through DLC. And they will have a lot more music and a stage or two to accompany them. So for Ultimate I will take whatever I can get, but we can only wait and see.
If they're a lock, I'm pretty sure that Shulk has the probability of being cut.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
If they're a lock, I'm pretty sure that Shulk has the probability of being cut.
I doubt that, I think Xenoblade at this point is big enough of a franchise to have at least 2 fighters in. Especially since Fire Emblem currently has 7 fighters. Even if they were to cut a few from those for the next game, I don't see a reason to exclude Shulk, and it would upset a lot of people too.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I doubt that, I think Xenoblade at this point is big enough of a franchise to have at least 2 fighters in. Especially since Fire Emblem currently has 7 fighters. Even if they were to cut a few from those for the next game, I don't see a reason to exclude Shulk, and it would upset a lot of people too.
Especially with XB1 Definitive Edition coming to introduce 1 to a whole new audience.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Well I wouldnt be to sure about that lock if Rex really didnt appear as DLC now. If Smash 6 still takes 5+ years their might be a new Xeno game out until then (maybe XCX2 or XC3) and if a new guy is then in charge of game design maybe he or she then decides to let the new guy/girl take the lead. After all the "everything must be decided before one line of code is written" was the mantra of Sakurai and not Nintendo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well I wouldnt be to sure about that lock if Rex really didnt appear as DLC now. If Smash 6 still takes 5+ years their might be a new Xeno game out until then (maybe XCX2 or XC3) and if a new guy is then in charge of game design maybe he or she then decides to let the new guy/girl take the lead. After all the "everything must be decided before one line of code is written" was the mantra of Sakurai and not Nintendo.
hang on, are you saying you think sakurai would go for the next protagonist or some hypothetical new guy?

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I don't see them skipping over 2 generations of Xeno games, they already didn't include Elma for whatever reason and there was enough demand for Rex that Sakurai felt it necessary to explain why he couldn't make it to the base roster and add a Mii costume as "compensation." Even if someone else directs the game I highly doubt they'll go for some hypothetical future protagonist first.

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
hang on, are you saying you think sakurai would go for the next protagonist or some hypothetical new guy?
A no I am saying that Sakurai wanted to retire from the smash series like ages ago and that - if he hypothetically does that and a new guy is in charge of smash - that guy might have a different design philosophy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A no I am saying that Sakurai wanted to retire from the smash series like ages ago and that - if he hypothetically does that and a new guy is in charge of smash - that guy might have a different design philosophy.
where did you get the idea that sakurai wanted to retire?

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
where did you get the idea that sakurai wanted to retire?
Oh he is mentioning it constantly since melee I think. Smash Brothers Brawl was even annouced without him knowing about it so that he cannot refuse to make it.

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I think it was part of the iwata asks series where they mentioned it. But dont remember the exact episode.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
It still bothers me to this day that Ultimate gave us the UM battle theme (never was a fan) before 'Counterattack' and 'Incoming!'.

XC2 definitely deserved to be represented much better in the musical department. Oh, and is it just me,or does the volume seem to be much lower for the XC2 tracks compared to other music from the game?

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
It still bothers me to this day that Ultimate gave us the UM battle theme (never was a fan) before 'Counterattack' and 'Incoming!'.

XC2 definitely deserved to be represented much better in the musical department.
Well, still hoping for Rex + Mythra/Pyra for DLC together with a bunch of music tracks and a stage. Especially Counterattack should've already been in the game, but ah well.

With the next wave announced there's a possiblity at least, though I'm not sure how good I would estimate their chances are.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Have anyone seen Nathanial Bandy's new video?

It is proposing the idea that Rex and Pyra should be separate fighters. That idea is so wrong that many of you can see the problem with that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Have they even played XB2? lol That makes zero sense.
YEP, As someone who actually played XC2, it's ****ing ridiculous to think about it. If you want to support a character, do your research.

Super Bario

Smash Cadet

It is proposing the idea that Rex and Pyra should be separate fighters. That idea is so wrong that many of you can see the problem with that.
Wasn’t that the reason Ice climbers weren’t in Smash 4, because they were MADE to be together?

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Wasn’t that the reason Ice climbers weren’t in Smash 4, because they were MADE to be together?
Ice Climbers werent in Smash 4 because the 3DS could not handle 16 characters on screen at the same time ( 8 x 2 Ice Climbers). And because they didnt want to do seperate rosters for 3DS version and WiiU version they got cancelled in the end.

But I have to completly agree that Pyra without Rex (or the other way around) makes no sense what so ever and would be a poor representation of either character. They are designed from a principial point of view to work in tandem.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
But I have to completly agree that Pyra without Rex (or the other way around) makes no sense what so ever and would be a poor representation of either character. They are designed from a principial point of view to work in tandem.
That's also why I think the Rex mii costume does very little to compensate for him not making it to the base roster. If Mythra and Pyra aren't there with him, what's the point? Plus you need to spend $25 on the pass to get him, if you happen to have no interest in third parties it's not exactly a good buy.

Rex without blades is kinda similar to having pokemon trainer without pokemon. It doesn't really make much sense.

Super Bario

Smash Cadet
That's also why I think the Rex mii costume does very little to compensate for him not making it to the base roster. If Mythra and Pyra aren't there with him, what's the point? Plus you need to spend $25 on the pass to get him, if you happen to have no interest in third parties it's not exactly a good buy.

Rex without blades is kinda similar to having pokemon trainer without pokemon. It doesn't really make much sense.
Kind of reminds me of Charizard in Smash 4. Yeah he’s here and all, but I can’t help but feel he’s half a character when I know Pokémon trainer is a thing.

It also goes against Xenoblade 2 main gameplay design as a whole. Would Pikmin fans be okay if Olimar didn’t have any Pikmin? No, it’s the whole point of his gameplay in and outside of Smash.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The more I see people say that the Aegis should fight alone, the more I am convinced that they either hate Rex that badly or just ignore what is established as the canon way most Blades are used.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
The more I see people say that the Aegis should fight alone, the more I am convinced that they either hate Rex that badly or just ignore what is established as the canon way most Blades are used.
Reminds me of this youtube video that made a tier list based on what characters they thought were likely to make it in as DLC. He put Rex in S-tier, and then proceeded to put the Aegis in A-tier saying "she has less of a chance because Rex would be in first, but still a good chance." Made me really wonder if he actually played the game, and if he did, whether or not he was paying any attention.

I would actually be very disappointed if they put in Rex solo. But if he's with Mythra and Pyra I hope they're very involved in the gameplay, preferably with their own movesets and with a down B swapping mechanic like pokemon trainer.

Though I should keep my wishful thinking to a minimum, first he'd need to actually get in.

cle

Smash Rookie

Reminds me of this youtube video that made a tier list based on what characters they thought were likely to make it in as DLC. He put Rex in S-tier, and then proceeded to put the Aegis in A-tier saying "she has less of a chance because Rex would be in first, but still a good chance." Made me really wonder if he actually played the game, and if he did, whether or not he was paying any attention.

I would actually be very disappointed if they put in Rex solo. But if he's with Mythra and Pyra I hope they're very involved in the gameplay, preferably with their own movesets and with a down B swapping mechanic like pokemon trainer.

Though I should keep my wishful thinking to a minimum, first he'd need to actually get in.
this is exactly what they were referring to lol

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
this is exactly what they were referring to lol
Oh they were? Oops. I just remembered watching a similar video, but I don't know the youtuber and didn't remember him strictly arguing that they should be be seperate fighters. Admittedly I just skimmed over the video. Though yeah I should've picked up on the fact that it was possibly the same video being discussed, my bad lol.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Nothing is certain. Only seemingly probable.

The truth is that if Rex/Aegis make it into Ultimate, they'll likely come with more xenoblade music. If I go so far as to play the odds in this fickle game.. I'd say that them getting in with additional content or not getting in at all are more likely than them getting in with no additional content. I basically said this last post I think, but maybe less clearly.

Anyways.. the thing with wanting Rex/Aegis in this time as opposed to next game has partly to do, for me at least, with the idea that we'll likely never have a roster like this again. I want Rex/Aegis to play along side this roster. I want them to be part of this party.

As for waiting.. I'm patient. However, honestly, Rex/Aegis is a new and fresh desire for me so them to be included would be quite something. They'd come in red-hot for me. And that's the other factor in wanting them now as opposed to later. Even if my love of the series looks only to be growing and my interest wont ever go away.. there's no time like the present.

I was big into getting Elma in as well (and still am to a degree), tho XCX's western release timing was such that the ballot was mostly over by the time I actually started to get attached. Since, XC2 has eclipsed it for me and Elma is mostly a "if I could get two please?" hope for this game. Smash should at least have XCX music too, heh. To an extent, I've been interested in more xenoblade represenation since the first game and Shulk's reveal. He just happened to have been revealed when I was still new to the first game and wasn't necessarily even considering he could get included. Going even further back, I did play some Xenosaga but only at a friend's and never a full game.. but back then I never thought such a game would ever get Smash representation. Basically, I've been interested in more xeno representation for a while.. but Rex/Aegis have been a big desire for only the lifespan of XC2. So for me, I'm at the peak of my interest in both having another xenorep and in the series as a whole.

I was a big fan of Ridley joining but Sakurai kinda killed that for me last gen. I had to put that aside so as to not feel too badly. I had kinda decided I could live without. Was surreal when he got revealed. I was still very hyped.. but it was also like the moment had passed. I don't want the moment to pass for Rex/Aegis. I want this to happen while my love of them and their game is still at it's height. While they're relevance is still high. That said.. XC2 has probably been my game of the decade. No single player experience have I put more time into on switch, or maybe on any console this decade. I think I'll still have high interest for their inclusion by the time the next Smash is coming along.. even if it's possibly far into the future. But now is so ideal on a lot of levels for me. I want them to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

Last edited:
Top Bottom