• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

D

Deleted member

I'm getting back into Xenoblade 2 (I'm not sure what point I should be at before I get the DLC), but I'm having trouble with getting through the Gormott area. (In particular, I'm trying to get to the rear of the area to reach Umon's shipyard) It's frustrating when I'm fighting a level 10 enemy and the game suddenly decides "hey, I'm gonna throw this level 91 post-game super-boss at you. Good luck!"

It seems like, if I stray off of the specific path that the game expects me to travel (a path that I'm never informed of, as following the compass leads me to areas filled with enemies far above my level), I'm hit with enemies that are twice my level or higher, and this is only the first area. I haven't played Xenoblade X, but at least in Xenoblade 1, the level 70 or 90 enemies stood still and only attacked if you came to them.

If anyone has early game advice, that would be great. Also, I have 11 Legendary Core Crystals - I think it was from kind of My Nintendo thing. Should I use those now, or wait until I have more party members? (I only have Rex, Nia, and Tora at the moment, and Tora can't use Core Crystals)
Level 91 Post game superboss? Are you talking about that T-rex? Because that's part of a sidequest you get from a soldier in Mor Ardain's Torigoth base. All you have to do is survive a couple of seconds of combat with the T-Rex (just try to stay out of attack range) and the fight ends via dialogue that give you an opportunity to go find something to poison it with. And by poison, I mean lower his level to something about in the 20's if I recall correctly.

As for the Core Crystal's, given where you currently are in the game I'd use no more than 4 on Nia and just save up the others. In general I wouldn't use any Core Crystal's on Rex at all. And I do mean throughout the entire game. You'll understand why I say that once you get to chapter 8.

And finally when to tackle DLC. I assume you mean the challenge mode. Honestly you might as well just beat the main story first. You can't take Shulk, Fiora, and Elma out of challenge mode until you do.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'll support. I just started playing Xenoblade 2 and so far I'm liking Rex (well except his English voice). I'd love to see how they incorporate Pyra/Mythra into his moveset.

andree123

Smash Ace
In the files of WOL, there are 16 placeholder slots (currently 14 as of the 3.0.0 update), there are always 18 new/returning fighters in the base game since Brawl with fighters like Pokemon Trainer's pokemon in ssbb and ssbu, the mii fighters in pre-ssbu, and both Samus and Zero Suit Samus in pre-ssb4 which they have to share the same slot with the other, if the 16 placeholder DLC slots done the same thing with the 18 new/returning fighters in the base game, right after the fighters pass 1, there would be more DLC slots with one slot having Rex and Pyra which they have a function similar to the cut Diddy and Dixie duo for brawl and the other slot would have two unspecific characters but they could have the same function as Rex and Pyra.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Level 91 Post game superboss? Are you talking about that T-rex? Because that's part of a sidequest you get from a soldier in Mor Ardain's Torigoth base. All you have to do is survive a couple of seconds of combat with the T-Rex (just try to stay out of attack range) and the fight ends via dialogue that give you an opportunity to go find something to poison it with. And by poison, I mean lower his level to something about in the 20's if I recall correctly.

As for the Core Crystal's, given where you currently are in the game I'd use no more than 4 on Nia and just save up the others. In general I wouldn't use any Core Crystal's on Rex at all. And I do mean throughout the entire game. You'll understand why I say that once you get to chapter 8.

And finally when to tackle DLC. I assume you mean the challenge mode. Honestly you might as well just beat the main story first. You can't take Shulk, Fiora, and Elma out of challenge mode until you do.
I'm only on chapter three, but that doesn't bode well for Nia. The boss I'm talking about is some sort of giant gorilla that runs in a big circle around the plain - I'm not sure if it's level 91 (I didn't get much time to look at it before it one-shot Rex), but it's at least in the 70s.
Are the enemies just randomly attacking you? I think there's a way to turn that off in the Pause menu. The option doesn't work on Unique Monsters, though, just normal enemies.
Thanks - I'll check that out. The problem is that I'm in the middle of fights with lower level monsters (about level 13 or so, roughly what my party's level is at), only for a monster that's in the 40 to 70 range to swoop in and take out my whole team with zero effort, forcing me to go back to the nearest checkpoint. Not helping matters is that I have no idea where to go, and the game's compass is not helpful.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So what's the general consensus on what Rex's specials would be assuming he made it into Smash someday? Also how exactly would Pyra/Mythra be implemented into his moveset?

D

Deleted member

So what's the general consensus on what Rex's specials would be assuming he made it into Smash someday? Also how exactly would Pyra/Mythra be implemented into his moveset?
I don't know about the general consensus. But I imagine switching between Pyra and Mythra via hitting B while shielding like Inkling's Ink refill. As for the differences, well that would require a lot of thought so as to figure out which form of the Aegis is best suited to the situation at hand. Either way though I could see Pyra/Mythra being able to be knocked out like the secondary Ice Climber.

My idea for specials kind of runs with this concept.

Neutral B:

If Pyra - Prominence Revolt
If Mythra - Ray of Punishment
If Neither - Sword Bash

Prominence Revolt would pop up from underneath wherever the opponent currently is which makes it an almost guaranteed hit. Ray of Punishment could only hit a certain distance from Rex, but is more powerful to compensate. And like with all specials, Sword Bash is just using an Aegis Sword Art (other than Anchor Shot which would be the grab) so that Rex can do something while Pyra/Mythra is knocked out. But in all cases of this, it's the weakest available option.

Side B:

If Pyra - Blazing End
If Mythra - Photon Edge
If Neither - Double Spinning Edge

Blazing End has the Aegis Sword spin in place when thrown a little bit in front of Rex. Photon Edge teleports Mythra the same distance, stay in place to unleash a combo attack, and then teleport back. Photon Edge is slightly more powerful but has slightly less utility as it can't cover the space in between Rex and the Sword with being sent out and making the return trip.

Up B:

No matter what - Vortex Edge

Regardless of availability of the Aegis, Rex will always use the Vortex Edge art of the Dual Scythes so as not to screw over his recovery.

Down B:

If Pyra - Flame Nova
If Mythra - Lightning Buster
If Neither - Rolling Smash

Lighting Buster is performed directly in front of Rex and has Mythra slash a few times with the sword. Flame Nova covers a small area around Rex. Once again giving it more utility at the cost of weaker power.

Final Smash:

Infinity Blade: Rex calls Pyra & Mythra directly to him (reviving them if they were knocked out) as they ascend into their true nature and grant Rex the Master Driver Armor. They then dash forward to trap opponents in a cutscene attack which uses the ascended state's Level 4 special, Infinity Blade.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i dont think there is a general consensus, everyone has their own ideas

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Yeah, some people want an Arsene style invulnerable Aegis, others think something more like Luma or Nana is appropriate. And some people think Blade switching has to be part of it, others don't. Personally I think the emphasis on both of them fighting is more important than switching; they should cover for each other in certain moves, while being kept together by an ether-tether.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Just wanted to say: I am playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for some weeks now and i am really enjoying it. Over 100 hours and i am confident i will play another 100 hours. The moment a second fighters pass is announced, i will be hyped as ****! Rex would be immediately confirmed imo. And hopefully Pyra will be alongside Rex. She has to be...

Banjo, Dixie Kong and Rex & Pyra are my most wanteds for now.

Things are looking veeeery good for Banjo!

I have accepted that Dixie will not be in this Smash. Still hoping for some echoes getting in and Dixie is one of them, but i am very pessimistic about that.

For Rex i have still hope! I think there will be a second fighters pass. Here is my reasoning:

The point of the first fighters pass is, to attract new people to smash and switch.

I think the point of the second fighters pass will be, to attract people to buy switch games. All the new people came to smash (thanks to fighters pass 1) will maybe be interested in these new characters and their games from fighters pass 2. So characters like Rex, new Fire Emblem guy, a gen 8 pokemon would make much sense. Smash would be the best place to advertise these character after attracting, many people to smash.

English is not my native language so i hope it was all understandable. Thanks for reading!

Super Bario

Smash Cadet
Hey, this is potentially big news for Rex coming to Smash. On the characters page of the Smash Ultimate website under the DLC category there are 2 additional characters slots. A total of 8 DLC characters. Now these could just be Echo Fighters for the last 2 fighter pass characters, but if they aren't... one could be Rex.

D

Deleted member

Hey, this is potentially big news for Rex coming to Smash. On the characters page of the Smash Ultimate website under the DLC category there are 2 additional characters slots. A total of 8 DLC characters. Now these could just be Echo Fighters for the last 2 fighter pass characters, but if they aren't... one could be Rex.
Those slots are for the last two characters on the Fighter Pass. So DLC characters still total 6.

Super Bario

Smash Cadet
That's the thing, they added 2 more to the already existing fighters pass.
There's:
Joker
Hero
Banjo
?
?
But then:
?
?
That's 4 characters we don't know about yet.

Super Bario

Smash Cadet
I looked at it again and the it's back to 5 DLC characters. It was probably a glitch on the website that made it look like 8 when they added Hero and Banjo. Sorry for the confusion.
(It did this on the computer and phone)

D

Deleted member

I looked at it again and the it's back to 5 DLC characters. It was probably a glitch on the website that made it look like 8 when they added Hero and Banjo. Sorry for the confusion.
(It did this on the computer and phone)
I think you're right. It was probably just part of the process of updating the site. No worries. That is something that could easily confuse people.

D

Deleted member

So..............not my video. But can anyone else say best moveset idea for Rex yet?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So..............not my video. But can anyone else say best moveset idea for Rex yet?
Wow talk about coincidence: I just watched this video a little bit before you posted your comment.

And yes this is without a doubt my favorite character idea for Rex being in Smash. The idea of incorporating Roc and KOS-MOS as blades is brilliant even if some would prefer the latter to be playable. The only thing I'd change is that I'd give Rex a Zeke-based color palette.

D

Deleted member

Wow talk about coincidence: I just watched this video a little bit before you posted your comment.

"With Foresight, victory is assured."

The idea of incorporating Roc and KOS-MOS as blades is brilliant even if some would prefer the latter to be playable.
I mean technically speaking KOS-MOS in this concept is just in the background giving her weapon to someone else. Seems to me that KOS-MOS could be her own playable character even if Rex was in the game with this moveset.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Gotta give them credit for putting together a very thorough and ambitious moveset. Lot of moving parts and sounds like it would be fun to play.

Will admit wouldn't be my first choice. Not that I have anywhere near as good an explanation.. but basically I'd rather Rex's moveset more deeply involve just Pyra and Mythra with a sorta Pokemon Trainer/Joker hybrid concept? My own thoughts on how they'd play have never been concrete, I just know I want a chance to switch between them to power up Rex... but also have them come out and fight along side him for brief moments like at any time you use a blade special in xc2 or how you see Pyra in the chapter 1 cinematic.

I see this working as Rex being default by himself with either Mythra or Pyra in the background to start. He increases his affinity the same way Cloud/Joker might with a similar expected time to max affinity as he has in his own game. Like with Shulk, depending on who the blade in the background is, Rex's attacks and movements have different properties. I always imagined Mythra would a least make him a bit faster at the cost of knockback, while Pyra would increase his knockback but have him at a standard slower speed. Would reflect kind of how they're expected to be used in xc2 with Mythra being better for arts and building damage and Pyra generally finding her greatest strength in blade combos.

Anyways, once affinity is maxed out however, Pyra or Mythra teleports onto the stage from the background and whoever was active becomes tethered to Rex and replaces his animations on some of his specials and attacks.. wielding their own blade. They have a time limit of like maybe 10-15 seconds and increase further their passive buffs from when they were in the background, plus perhaps some additional buffs like super armor and higher hitstun. You can opt to play neutral with them or burn through their timer with a special finisher if you can set it up for massive damage or knockback. Affinity would charge for both of them, but slower for the inactive blade of course... so there would be a chance to blade switch directly from an active Mythra to an active Pyra for instance to set up some really scary combos. Blade switching would be seamless assuming both blades had max affinity. If not there'd be a slight cool down from when the active blade went back into the background. Once their timer ran out or the their limit spent on the finisher, the affinity limit would reset like you'd expect.

I never considered Mythra would be so much better than Pyra that there'd be an issue with people totally skipping out on Pyra. But if that really were a concern in the build I'm roughly describing, you could always increase Mythra's time to build affinity. Maybe even nearly double it up so that you'd always expect to use Pyra actively once before you'd use Mythra actively, but you could still sync them up relatively easily on the second activation so that you could still utilize some heavy hitting combos or even kill confirms with the active blade switch.

Course, this idea could function with a third or even fourth blade if we treat Pyra/Mythra as two for one... but I never wanted Rex to get toooo busy.

Again tho, like I said.. my ideas have never been too concrete with Rex/Aegis. From way back i just knew I wanted them in and trusted Sakurai and the Smash team would figure it out. Other characters I've yearned for for longer have had more of a chance for me to brainstorm them, but Rex/Aegis I've kinda just wanted to wait and see because I was more confident in their inclusion than many other Nintendo characters I've ever wanted in the game. Perhaps foolishly as it seems like the odds continue to get longer, but I've not been one just get cynical about such things if I can help it.

In my ideal dreamworld, heh... we'd polish off this fighters pass and then a second one would be announced that would just be the "xenoseries fighters pass", lol. Sounds wonderful and unrealistic, huh? Just go full FE with Xenoseries representation. Get Rex/Aegis, Elma, and KOS-MOS in there. And if there's two more slots to play with for a total of five... maybe Fiora and Nia... (tho i think I'd prefer Tora and Nia, lol) Can you imagine? I know it's just a dream really.. a wildly unrealistic one.. but I like to dream. Just like, don't get on my case for making you think about something we'll likely never get please, haha... phew. I could dive even deeper down this delusional rabbit hole.. but I'll leave bringing up stuff like AT-like "core crystal items" again for another day.

Unrelated, but.. place has been pretty dead. You peeps meeting elsewhere these days? I know I haven't checked in a lot, but twas nice textwalling at you all again~

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So if Rex somehow did make it in what would his stage and 8 songs be (not counting the 3 songs already in Ultimate)?

For his stage I'd go with Leftheria since it'd be a great way to show off the Cloud Sea and maybe some of the other titans far in the background.

For his songs:
This is a good soundtrack selection. I would not even mind if we were to get these songs in a Xenoblade 2 stage that comes with Rex.

Part of me would like Drifting Soul as a song, but then there could be some rights issues depending on the languages.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Ok now we know that there will be more dlc fighters i think Rex gots a massive push in probabillity.

Oh btw also put me into supporters please.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Honestly I think Rex has extremely good chances for season 2 and is one of the frontrunners for another Nintendo rep. Can't wait to see how things turn out.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
I haven't spazzed out this much from a Smash announcement since they announced Joker. RED AND PYRA ARE POSSIBLE BOYS.

Sakurai clearly loves XB2, and wanted them in Smash. But, I think at the time he had no idea he'd be making mor characters after the initial 5. I have very high hopes that Rex will be a new fighter. He has so much potential than just being another "anime sword fighter". Cant wait to see what Sakurai has planned.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
As of now, I think Rex is all but guaranteed to be in the next wave of DLC fighters, for reasons already stated. Though it's not mine favourite in the series, I nevertheless found Xenoblade 2 to be enjoyable, as well as its brief prequel. Gameplay-wise, I actually liked Torna better than the main game; less micromanagement. Ergo, I'm all for his inclusion. I'm personally hoping he will be a short heavyweight.

If Xenoblade 3 ever gets made, I wonder if it will take place after 1 or 2. Frankly, both games have potential for sequels. I personally hope to see a sequel that expands upon the team-swap mechanic from the Torna spinoff.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I haven't spazzed out this much from a Smash announcement since they announced Joker. RED AND PYRA ARE POSSIBLE BOYS.

Sakurai clearly loves XB2, and wanted them in Smash. But, I think at the time he had no idea he'd be making mor characters after the initial 5. I have very high hopes that Rex will be a new fighter. He has so much potential than just being another "anime sword fighter". Cant wait to see what Sakurai has planned.
Sakurai already made plans for Rex to be in the game but it was scraped due to time constraints, which he confrimed. Judging by the echo fighters introduced in smash ultimate, Rex was going to be a special echo fighter for Shulk but his stuff was simply more complicated than a reskin. (Who would of thought?) It would save Sakurai and Nintendo a lot of time to go back on those plans.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
If Xenoblade 3 ever gets made, I wonder if it will take place after 1 or 2. Frankly, both games have potential for sequels. I personally hope to see a sequel that expands upon the team-swap mechanic from the Torna spinoff.
Coming from the current trend it probably would be another parallel world. But as long it has Titans on an unending sea I am fine with it.

Sakurai already made plans for Rex to be in the game but it was scraped due to time constraints, which he confrimed. Judging by the echo fighters introduced in smash ultimate, Rex was going to be a special echo fighter for Shulk but his stuff was simply more complicated than a reskin. (Who would of thought?) It would save Sakurai and Nintendo a lot of time to go back on those plans.
Dont think so. You cant properly represent XC2/Rex without the inclusion of Pyra. And he has nothing to do with Monado Arts. So I think he would be original

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Coming from the current trend it probably would be another parallel world. But as long it has Titans on an unending sea I am fine with it.

Dont think so. You cant properly represent XC2/Rex without the inclusion of Pyra. And he has nothing to do with Monado Arts. So I think he would be original
I meant that Rex was a special echo fighter with a repurposed Shulk mechanic. Pyra and Mythra could switch places to change Rex’s stats. To make this mechanic different, there could be a special limited gauge that allowed Rex to basically summon his Arsene. Meaning, there were two different forms and a special OP form. They could be even more insane by adding Nia as his third selectable perma-blade on top of this, which would properly represent the blade mechanics.

If you thought that sounded too wacky, remember that the crazy developers made Shulk, Joker, and Pokemon trainer that ridiculous and complex.

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Ok..... but then they can also make it original in the first place. With Pyra following Rex in the background like the Pokemon-Trainer. Which then leads to a gamestyle of stage controlling with powerful moves whereever pyra currently is.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Ok..... but then they can also make it original in the first place. With Pyra following Rex in the background like the Pokemon-Trainer. Which then leads to a gamestyle of stage controlling with powerful moves whereever pyra currently is.
But that’s far less interesting than Shulk’s mechanics. Plus, the blades in xenoblade 2 do similar things as Shulk’s Monado mechanics except each blade has their own distinct effects. So Rex can decide to keep using one blade throughout the battle/match (unless it’s a limited form).

D

Deleted member

I don't think I've ever stopped by here and voiced my support but sign me up for Rex! I probably never voiced my support cause he was donezo when it came to the first pass but now that we're getting additional DLC I think his chances are better than ever!

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is probably one of my favorite RPG's and one of my favorite Switch games I've ever played. It may even be in my top 10-15 games I've ever played so I'd love to see Rex/Pyra get in sometime.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Y'know what? After this revelation, sign me up for Rex & Pyra/Mythra too.

Not to mention, I can totally see him either being the last fighter in this pass or coming as one of the extra DLC too. Xenoblade Chronicles getting an enhanced remastering for 2020 also bodes well for it too. Just imagine Sakurai giving a demonstration like he did for Hero and Banjo & Kazooie, and talking about both how he couldn't make it in the original roster and then promote the original Xenoblade Chronicles. EZ.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
But that’s far less interesting than Shulk’s mechanics. Plus, the blades in xenoblade 2 do similar things as Shulk’s Monado mechanics except each blade has their own distinct effects. So Rex can decide to keep using one blade throughout the battle/match (unless it’s a limited form).
If you like shulks mechanics then why dont you just play shulk? There is no need to sell rex short by making him an echo. And the blades are nothing like monado mechanics, you get a whole set of new skills by blade swapping and not just a stat booster.

I also think that Pyra will be the only blade avaible to Rex (maybe mythra as an alt costume). Because Joker was in a similiar situation (beeing the only one using all personas in his game) and they settled for his iconic persona. So I think they will do the same with Rex.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
If you like shulks mechanics then why dont you just play shulk? And the blades are nothing like monado mechanics, you get a whole set of new skills by blade swapping and not just a stat booster.
You really don’t get it. Mythra singlehandedly improves the envision of the whole team, critical hits, and move spam on Rex. Pyra is elemental fodder in xenoblade 2, being a reletively decent but typical blade. Nia is supposed to be Rex’s exclusive healing blade, healing the whole team just by attacking one enemy. Rex’s special form is supposed to be so ridiculously op that it can kill super bosses pretty easily.
I also think that Pyra will be the only blade avaible to Rex (maybe mythra as an alt costume). Because Joker was in a similiar situation (beeing the only one using all personas in his game) and they settled for his iconic persona. So I think they will do the same with Rex.
Pyra and Mythra are literally the same person... Nia is another love interest who’s also a Rex exclusive blade.

Last edited:

12cheeper

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I've ever stopped by here and voiced my support but sign me up for Rex! I probably never voiced my support cause he was donezo when it came to the first pass but now that we're getting additional DLC I think his chances are better than ever!

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is probably one of my favorite RPG's and one of my favorite Switch games I've ever played. It may even be in my top 10-15 games I've ever played so I'd love to see Rex/Pyra get in sometime.
Realistically,a Xenoblade 2 rep is basically guaranteed in the second season of DLC.The only reason he isn't in the first wave is because of recency and even then Sakurai felt so bad about it that he included a Rex mii costume and Pyra spirit as an apology.I would be willing to bet actual money that either Rex or Pyra/Mythra as a duo get in at some point next year.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
You really don’t get it. Mythra singlehandedly improves the envision of the whole team, critical hits, and move spam on Rex. Pyra is elemental fodder in xenoblade 2, being a reletively decent but typical blade. Nia is supposed to be Rex’s exclusive healing blade, healing the whole team just by attacking one enemy. Rex’s special form is supposed to be so ridiculously op that it can kill super bosses pretty easily.
Which is even more evidence that they are more than simply stat multiplier. I thought you wanted them to act as Monado Arts stand in?

Pyra and Mythra are literally the same person... Nia is another love interest who’s also a Rex exclusive blade.
Thats why I said maybe Mythra as an alt custome ) most dlc fighters got these. But I dont believe in Nia beeing added. I would actually like it 8even more as her own character) but all evidence we have point against it.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Rex & Pyra also should be able to dodge "Spirit deconfirm" theory, because their Fighter Spirit would be called "Rex & Pyra"

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Rex & Pyra also should be able to dodge "Spirit deconfirm" theory, because their Fighter Spirit would be called "Rex & Pyra"
Any deconfirm theory is no longer valid, because they never planned more then the first fighters pass before launch. So literally everyone has a chance now.

Top Bottom