• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Saying they didn't make the cut isn't a hint, that's a flashing neon sign.
Is he referencing the initial roster? Is he talking about the DLC plans? What does the Project Plan entail? This is something that nobody knows, we don't have conclusive evidence this means the DLC plans. If we go by the original announcement video, he said that the Rex was too late for the initial roster of the game, which is oddly specific wording. Again, I won't consider much when it comes from a vague interview. Sakurai is a veteran who knows how to handle interviews. He isn't going to attempt to suggest anything, hence why I'll stick with the wait and see strategy rather than continuously speculating.

If Rex isn't in the game then so be it, I'm just tired of constant speculation on things literally no one but Sakurai and his team know about.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Just a hipster passing by to tell you all, if Rex doesn't make the cut, please don't overreact like the Waluigi fans did(I am not talking about the two brats responsible for making the entire Waluigi fanbase look bad), it's ok to be dissapointed but after the director confirmed the same statement twice, I think it's time to not have your hopes too high up, I am not saying you should give up on him, but if he doesn't make it, at least the dissapointment will be less.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Hopefully after Ridley, K. Rool and Simon got such positive reception Nintendo realises it's ok to add older characters if they're still popular. Although in this case I don't necessarily mean 'older", but more 'any character that's not the newest in their franchise'. Honestly this applies to a lot of characters, not just Rex. "Missing" a chance to be in Smash forever because of one poor incident of timing is stupid.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hopefully after Ridley, K. Rool and Simon got such positive reception Nintendo realises it's ok to add older characters if they're still popular. Although in this case I don't necessarily mean 'older", but more 'any character that's not the newest in their franchise'. Honestly this applies to a lot of characters, not just Rex. "Missing" a chance to be in Smash forever because of one poor incident of timing is stupid.
This I can agree on.

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
That has already happened. Elma missed her chance. If Rex missed his chance as well. Then I wouldn't be surprised to see Shulk cut in the next game with the entire Xenoblade franchise retired from Smash. I'm dead serious.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That has already happened. Elma missed her chance. If Rex missed his chance as well. Then I wouldn't be surprised to see Shulk cut in the next game with the entire Xenoblade franchise retired from Smash. I'm dead serious.
well perhaps xenoblade 3 will have ideal timing

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
well perhaps xenoblade 3 will have ideal timing
I REALLY don't want to see 2 characters get shafted for one. Xenoblade would probably STILL feel underrepresented with only 2 fighters if Xenoblade 3 was released at good timing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I rather doubt that he'd suddenly not be okay with Xenoblade not being able to keep up and go "welp, let's just cut everything related to it". If it was just one character, I would understand, but it'd be like ripping out the appendix from someone and expecting that no one will notice the gaping hole.

Plus Shulk is a unique character, the type that has little to no reason to cut over the more clone-like ones. I don't even...

If it helps, I sifted through the thread covering Sak's journal from the old days, and I can't help but love this bit:

https://smashboards.com/threads/sakurais-journal.117764/
#201-210: Sakurai says in response to an email asking only for well-known characters (like Mario, Link, etc.) to appear in SSBB, "Asking only for popular characters to appear in Smash...doesn't get me excited"
But yeah, this isn't Pokémon, so it's not like they wouldn't consider the characters later when the XB series is currently so damn puny.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
At least XC2 fans were apologized too, which sadly was not the case for XCX fans. Really, over-entitled Rex fans have no freaking idea how lucky they are to have a costume, music tracks when otherwise they wouldn't. Meanwhile XCX fans get jack ****.

Seriously all this talk from these types of fans acting like they were owed Rex is just as bad as the radical Waluigi/Isaac/Geno fanbases.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I REALLY don't want to see 2 characters get shafted for one. Xenoblade would probably STILL feel underrepresented with only 2 fighters if Xenoblade 3 was released at good timing.
well i would say itd be better than nothing but for now i suggest we wait and see

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
All I want is an indication to when the DLC characters were decided. After that I'm good. Also, for people saying that Sakurai has stated that Rex and Xenoblade 2 were unable to make it to the roster, I would LOVE for him to say that they couldn't make it for DLC specifically as well. Being vague doesn't help and that's the reason why people still have hope. If Sakurai wants people to stop thinking about the character, he should try to do so clearly. I'm still seeing Rex being shown in the top of japanese polls, so it seems that they also don't get the indication either if it is indeed true.

Just saying I don't believe Rex is in anymore, but I would love a clear answer so that I don't have to keep thinking about it.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Like it was said in another thread, there's counting your chickens before they hatch, and then there's worrying said unhatched chickens won't make it to adulthood.
A chicken dying as a chick isn’t all that different from an egg being destroyed. Both are an L for the chicken farmer.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
To some degree not deconfirming a character means people keep speculating about the game. I mean, the likes of Isaac and Shadow weren't shown until the final direct. It's kinda ****ty but it's in Nintendo's best interests to not talk about what's not in the game.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. At least in Rex's case, Sak does come pretty close to outright saying "sorry guys, there wasn't enough time for him to make it, maybe next time".
Which is more than I can say for Elma, or any other deconfirmed character in that regard. Yet some Rex/XC2 fans still think Sakurai screwed them over and were having tantrums about it as if they thought he owed them Rex, even dissing Piranha Plant (which I can understand since it's a generic mook character) and Joker while they were at it. Really doesn't buy me on Rex or make me support his inclusion.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Which is more than I can say for Elma, or any other deconfirmed character in that regard. Yet some Rex/XC2 fans still think Sakurai screwed them over and were having tantrums about it as if they thought he owed them Rex, even dissing Piranha Plant (which I can understand since it's a generic mook character) and Joker while they were at it. Really doesn't buy me on Rex or make me support his inclusion.
It's sad when this fanbase is in danger of being branded demons because of the actions of a vocal few, like with the Waluigi fans.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
It's sad when this fanbase is in danger of being branded demons because of the actions of a vocal few, like with the Waluigi fans.
As if making fun of XCX fans was bad enough, just cause more people have played XC2 and so many things make it look like XCX is the black sheep of the series.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
As if making fun of XCX fans was bad enough, just cause more people have played XC2 and so many things make it look like XCX is the black sheep of the series.
XCX fans make fun of XC2 all the time. It's the same extent between both groups.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
XCX fans make fun of XC2 all the time. It's the same extent between both groups.
Never said they didn't, but with how many things XC2 has going for it compared to XCX; it's easy for me to see XCX as the "victims" in this scenario compared to XC2 fans.

D

Deleted member

Neither side is a victim. Those in both sides who harp on the character and it's fans from the other are the aggressors. Rex and Elma both would be fantastic additions to Smash. Sure getting both is pretty unlikely but picking just one of them does not mean there is any malice intended toward the other.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I love both XCX and XC2 and wish both could have more represention from music, stages, and characters, tbh...

Truth is Rex always had a better shot this go around in my opinion due to timing and popularity. Which is ironic due to the fact that XC2's timing might've been just wrong enough. But long before XC2 released and before the DLC was done for Smash 4, Elma was one of my biggest wants. She still is, but the realistic part of me says that she's just not the first choice from the Xeno series now, and she's unlikely to get in before Rex does if even he gets in. So I swapped over to Rex support for this gen of Smash because I loved XC2 and he's legit the closest thing I could pick to a winner this time to further represent the Xeno series. And I really think he's still a winner.

Even with all the speculation that Rex wont make it.. compare our character to any other Nintendo character that's possible and it's hard to argue that he legit has less of a chance than anyone. That's due in part to just how silly hard it is to predict what Nintendo and Sakurai might do, but there's no denying XC2's popularity and relevance now. There's a reason we got a special mention in a previous direct. Other characters had poor timing for base roster too, but Sakurai didn't go out of his way to mention them.

With that in mind, that Sakurai quote I believe to just be a reiteration of his comment in the direct. I don't see a reason yet to assume it has anything to do with DLC. It might... but I'm not going to give up hope until I'm told the DLC is done. Even if the odds get slimmer and slimmer. That's how Ridley got in this Smash. Even as he was given boss status and Sakurai said he wouldn't be playable in Smash 4, he came around for Ultimate. Considering the development cycle, he was planned to be playable in Ultimate as the DLC for Smash 4 came out. That's pretty tight timing from saying Ridley wasn't playable in Smash to developing him for Smash, heh. Now, I know that's two different Smash games. But I'd argue that Rex's "deconfirm" has been light so far. We've said it many time in here, but spirits are highly editable and aren't a deconfirm in the same vein as say a boss hazard or AT and as we've also said.. Sakurai saying Rex wouldn't be playable in the base roster doesn't imply anything about his DLC chances. Imo, if Rex doesn't get into this Smash it wont be because of his spirit and it wont be because he's got a mii costume, and it remains to be seen if Sakurai really did imply all instances of DLC when he said Rex didn't make it.

Also, I'm not even thinking about next Smash. The current one isn't even 2 months old and the Switch looks strong as ever. If anything, I can see us getting DLC for a while to come and the next Smash being more than 6 years away. And in 6 plus years, I'll still love XC2, but I'll understand if Rex isn't considered a realistic character to include in Smash, assuming he doesn't slip in as DLC in the meantime. So far the Xeno series has only gotten Shulk and I'm not sure it'll ever reach the representation status of Fire Emblem even if it begins to become a flagship series of Nintendo of near equal standing and popularity - (and it's seems to be pushing in that direction with XC2's momentum). I'd sure love if it did tho... got FE like representation. In my ideal "pie in the sky" scenario... not just Shulk would be playable, but characters like Fiora, Elma, Nia... even KOS-MOS. Maybe even some bad guys like Malos or whatever. This series is quality imo, and the more there is the better in terms of representation.

This all said, I'm hopeful for Rex and not anywhere near giving up on his chances... but I'll also not be that surprised if he doesn't make it. Just based on odds alone. Sure, maybe there's not a lot of main characters in recent popular big Nintendo games unrepresented in Smash... so by that category he should have a great chance. But Smash can do whatever weird thing it wants. We might get characters we've never seen before from unreleased games as Smash DLC. We might get iconic third party characters as DLC. We might even get indy representation as wild as that sounds. Depends on what Nintendo cares to do. I think ultimately they're looking for something that creates hype and makes them money while also being workable by Sakurai. Third parties are pretty strong in that regard and rumors of leaks have implied as much. But we really can't know what's up until it's all released. As far as new popular Nintendo characters tho... Rex is in a top tier league in terms of inclusion chances.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Which is why I don't get what Rex/XC2 fans have to complain about: At least their character still has a shot based on Sakurai's words, compared to Elma/XCX fans who get squat. So yeah it's easy for me to see who are the real underdogs here.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Which is why I don't get what Rex/XC2 fans have to complain about: At least their character still has a shot based on Sakurai's words, compared to Elma/XCX fans who get squat. So yeah it's easy for me to see who are the real underdogs here.
Even the characters that seemingly have the best shot on paper aren't a given.

I remember what happened with Wolf in Smash 4. And then we got Cloud. I really wanted Wolf back then but I loved playing Cloud and having an icon like him in Smash 4 was really special. We did get Wolf back eventually tho of course.

Point being, it's fair to want something and be concerned with not getting it. Even ZeRo can be disappointed with a loss. Doesn't matter how much he wins or the likelihood that he should win. Maybe our odds aren't as great as I hope, but I frame them that way for myself... tho I'm something of an optimist. Elma could be dark horse tbh. I can't say. Yeah, seems unlikely... but doesn't mean that it's impossible at all. I'd love it if she made it. I don't expect she will. In one case I can be psyched for a long shot coming through, and in the other, I probably shrug it off. It's just balancing expectation with hope and not getting too hung up on specifics.

Kay... long perhaps unnecessary example time...

As the avatar might betray, I've wanted Krystal in Smash since Adventures pretty much. I really liked the idea of the staff moveset and I initially had the thought that they could redo Fox for it (I didn't think Melee Fox was sacred apparently, lol), but then I decided Krystal made more sense and more Star Fox reps would be cool. Since Brawl, her chances and relevance have just gone down and down and she gained something of a negative reputation, mainly for reasons unrelated to her in game portrayal.. tho it's been admittedly shallow. Even so, I kinda stuck with her cuz she's one of the few wants from way back that still hasn't made it. And yet, when she got her AT I was happy. It was more than she probably deserved honestly, considering how long it's been since she was relevant. But still, I want more and even tho her odds at inclusion this time are seemingly gone... I know nothing is impossible. Still, I expect that what we got is just what we'll have and I'm happy with it even as I dream distantly for even more.

I guess what I'm getting to in a round about signature textwally way is that... just try to be happy. Being angry or resentful is a bummer for you and others. Maybe I just haven't seen or been particularly aware of obnoxious XC2 fans. Could be because I'm too empathetic to their worries. Or maybe I can't comprehend your love of Elma. I know I really liked her character in XCX. I could go on for hours talking about her character in her own game and speculating how she might be in Smash if she was included. I could talk in detail about anything in XCX you'd want... tho it's been over 4 years since I played it now. I love the game and I want the character in. I really want the music in. I want the world represented on a stage. But I love lots of other things too outside XCX, and Smash isn't ruined if Elma's not playable, and other people getting want they want instead doesn't make me angry... just less hyped than I would be if it was me getting what I wanted. It's still cool we get so much while we can still hope for yet more. Also, I guess there's nothing I actively don't wont. Not sure but maybe for some reason you don't want Rex/Aegis in the game. It's fair to not like a character or at least not want them in Smash cuz "roster spots". That's nothing new around here honestly. But I feel like that's a less healthy way to "play the game". I'd rather be happy for people that get what they want even if I miss out. Sometimes you don't realize you wanted something until you have it. Most times the consequences are minor with things like "getting the DLC you want in a game you play", heh.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
The difference is XC2 reached a wider audience and was very well received, and sold a lot more than they expected it to. X, and Elma by association, were shafted by being on the Wii U, whereas being on Switch would have given it a huge boost, so I'm not surprised Elma didn't make the cut this time. Nintendo know that the series is popular now, so I can't see Xenoblade being scrapped from the Smash series (especially since Sakurai said he LOVED Xenoblade 2). If Rex and Pyra aren't DLC for Ultimate, then they are definitely base roster for the next game. Don't worry :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
its not a contest

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
The difference is XC2 reached a wider audience and was very well received, and sold a lot more than they expected it to. X, and Elma by association, were shafted by being on the Wii U, whereas being on Switch would have given it a huge boost, so I'm not surprised Elma didn't make the cut this time. Nintendo know that the series is popular now, so I can't see Xenoblade being scrapped from the Smash series (especially since Sakurai said he LOVED Xenoblade 2). If Rex and Pyra aren't DLC for Ultimate, then they are definitely base roster for the next game. Don't worry :)
Lucky them then...cannot say the same for XCX fans, who have everything going against them.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Lucky them then...cannot say the same for XCX fans, who have everything going against them.
Luckily for me, I like XC2 more than XCX - although that's not to say I'm not disappointed about Elma either, because X was what got me into the series. I loved it and I felt Elma would've been a no-brainer for the base roster.
Despite my biased opinions of XC2, I would say an X port on Switch (or X2) would've turned the tables, as I think that X as a game would appeal to a wider audience than XC2 does - especially since it has online functionality and multiplayer (to an extent)

I'd love both. To be fair, Elma isn't irrelevant, thanks to XC2 DLC, so maybe the success of a XC3 or XCX2 would boost popularity of the series and allow for both to be in. Who knows.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
didnt monolith say that they wanted to do a xcx2 along with xc3?
I'm pretty sure they did at one point. I know they said that there are currently no plans to work on an X port for Switch (although that may be PR speak), but I highly expect a sequel. Given the success of XC2, I can't see Nintendo and Monolith leaving Xenoblade to become irrelevant, especially since they promoted and supported the hell out of 2.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
didnt monolith say that they wanted to do a xcx2 along with xc3?
There is something with X happening behind the scenes, but its not in a positive way. I completely understand the Elma fans, because how X is treated in Smash in the first place is in general a huge middlefinger, because they are sending the signal the game "never happend" and Takahashi at this point has to come clean about X at this point. (The X spirits are the only ones where their hidden files refuse to acknowledge they come from X, while real flops like Federation Force got this priviledge)

XB2 imo is something like Fire Emblem Awakening, in that if this game didn't sell well the series would have been canned, but just like Awakening XB2 reached mainstream appeal so the future for XB3 should be very bright.

Xenoblade overall is also a very young series and I could see X as the Fire Emblem Gaiden or Zelda II from its series, in that the developers where experimenting where the franchise should go in the future, but they learned that the overall fanbase wants future games in the style of the original. But if this is the case with X once again Takahashi has to come clean at this point.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There is something with X happening behind the scenes, but its not in a positive way. I completely understand the Elma fans, because how X is treated in Smash in the first place is in general a huge middlefinger, because they are sending the signal the game "never happend" and Takahashi at this point has to come clean about X at this point. (The X spirits are the only ones where their hidden files refuse to acknowledge they come from X, while real flops like Federation Force got this priviledge)

XB2 imo is something like Fire Emblem Awakening, in that if this game didn't sell well the series would have been canned, but just like Awakening XB2 reached mainstream appeal so the future for XB3 should be very bright.

Xenoblade overall is also a very young series and I could see X as the Fire Emblem Gaiden or Zelda II from its series, in that the developers where experimenting where the franchise should go in the future, but they learned that the overall fanbase wants future games in the style of the original. But if this is the case with X once again Takahashi has to come clean at this point.
to be fair that is how the smash team is treating X not the xenoblade team if they were really pretending it never happened then elma wouldnt have been in xbc2 last year

also was the series really in danger of being canned?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Smash is a good indicator of how Nintendo views a property, though. It's biased to the Japanese audience but these things usually are. Why would Rex and Xenoblade 2 alone get a segment explaining the lack of content when Arms sold more and was in the same situation (while also getting less content)? Because Arms didn't have a vocal fanbase in Japan like Rex did. X was already a divisive game but it launched in Japan with tons of bugs, so to a Japanese team working on Spirits it was low priority, get the bare minimum in and get out. It's not something they care about or want to remind fans about, so it's not even in World of Light. Meanwhile XB2 gets Spirits all the way to the final screen of World of Light. The X content in XB2 on the other hand is from Monolith Soft themselves, who love all their babies even when they're stillborn or estranged or were dropped on their head too many times. The same season pass that added Shulk and Fiora and Elma added some "totally not Gears" costumes.

Seems like a kick in the pants when the Western audience is really what took Xeno to new heights, between the campaign to get the first game brought over and the majority of sales for every entry in the franchise.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Smash is a good indicator of how Nintendo views a property, though. It's biased to the Japanese audience but these things usually are. Why would Rex and Xenoblade 2 alone get a segment explaining the lack of content when Arms sold more and was in the same situation (while also getting less content)? Because Arms didn't have a vocal fanbase in Japan like Rex did. X was already a divisive game but it launched in Japan with tons of bugs, so to a Japanese team working on Spirits it was low priority, get the bare minimum in and get out. It's not something they care about or want to remind fans about, so it's not even in World of Light. Meanwhile XB2 gets Spirits all the way to the final screen of World of Light. The X content in XB2 on the other hand is from Monolith Soft themselves, who love all their babies even when they're stillborn or estranged or were dropped on their head too many times. The same season pass that added Shulk and Fiora and Elma added some "totally not Gears" costumes.

Seems like a kick in the pants when the Western audience is really what took Xeno to new heights, between the campaign to get the first game brought over and the majority of sales for every entry in the franchise.
To be fair isn't Elma also not more thrown in as a bone to X fans in XB2, like I believe she is only treated as a special blade in the challenge mode, while Shulk & Fiora are basically tied to the overall challenge mode

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
XCX2 is probably happening, the first one sold pretty well for a Wii U game.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
XCX2 will probably have a new cast of characters so Elma might not be in that game.
I doubt that. The main reason for doing an X sequel is answering the many questions that the first game left open with its cliffhanger, and many of those involve Elma directly. This is further supported that the XC2 DLC, where Elma briefly talks about her partner in battle, adding more to her mysteries.
Plus XCX ending spoiler
They shown that Lao is still alive and woth the Black Knight, so he will definitely return
so it is extremely likely that X2 will feature the same cast as X, or at the very least the big characters like Elma.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I doubt that. The main reason for doing an X sequel is answering the many questions that the first game left open with its cliffhanger, and many of those involve Elma directly. This is further supported that the XC2 DLC, where Elma briefly talks about her partner in battle, adding more to her mysteries.
I agree... even if it's a vague sequel until the final chapters like XC2 was to XC. Could be just a couple characters from X even tie the sequel to its predecessor. Really only one character ties XC to XC2, so maybe Elma will have a similar roll... or they do something entirely different because Monolith never liked being too predictable with their stories~

Plus XCX ending spoiler
They shown that Lao is still alive and woth the Black Knight, so he will definitely return
so it is extremely likely that X2 will feature the same cast as X, or at the very least the big characters like Elma.
"Is this the end of XCX?"
- me when I saw the first Death Stranding trailer

...lol~

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Plus XCX ending spoiler
I'm not sure, I think the only characters who need to come back are Elma, Lao, L and possibly Celica (she seems like a preview of things to come especially as she did have some cut story content

Top Bottom