• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
So I've been wondering, they say Rex/Mythra/Pyra were not released because of timing of XC2's release. The thing is, what's stopping Nintendo from putting one of them on the DLC?

It kind of frustrates me lol.

D

Deleted member

So I've been wondering, they say Rex/Mythra/Pyra were not released because of timing of XC2's release. The thing is, what's stopping Nintendo from putting one of them on the DLC?

It kind of frustrates me lol.
Mostly because it seems like the list of characters that Sakurai had to choose from seems to have been created around the project plan

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Mostly because it seems like the list of characters that Sakurai had to choose from seems to have been created around the project plan
Persona 5 and Joker released in Japan in 2016 and in the west in 2017 so there is still hope for Rex as DLC!

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Silly unsubstantiated theory time:

Predicting best chance for Rex/Pyra is second to last of the 5 DLC. The silly reasoning?

We get 5 DLC characters after Piranha Plant up until February 2020. That's a year to get all the DLC after Piranha Plant. Assuming that full year has releases spaced relatively evenly we can guess that we'll get something roughly every 2 to 3 months and the last of the DLC will come out February 2020.

Piranha Plant comes in two months. Two months from that is April. P5 came out in April 2017, meaning Joker will likely release on the 2 year anniversary of his game's release. That same year, XC2 came out in December.

Just sayin~

Yeah, I'm already making predictions based on patterns that haven't even occurred yet. I did say it was unsubstantiated. It was an amusing thought I felt like sharing anyways tho.

...and if it does end up happening that way, I'll look like a genius. So what's the harm in throwing it out there, lol~

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The implication is Nintendo-owned characters are low priority for DLC, which is reinforced by our first reveal being Joker. Even the only new Nintendo character from Smash 4's DLC was from an upcoming/unreleased (in the West) game, not a game that was already out. Meanwhile, all the heavyhitter Nintendo characters for Smash 4/5 were added in the base game. And when it comes to promoting a Nintendo character via DLC, game sales are always highest in the first week so maximizing those sales is preferable to promoting an older game.

tl;dr it's business

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
In addition to the icon thing, something other have pointed out is that there are a lot of spirits that weren't censored. Azure, for instance, still shows a lot of leg. Contrast to the female Corrin which was altered slightly to show less leg. Here is an example for Smash Wii U. Corrin has the same design in Smash Ultimate

Mythra is changed in a similar way and also uses black tights to hid skin. Her outfit also hids skin on her hips that are mostly covered on the 2D image

This and the icon is a bit suspicious
I don't know, especially because Female Corrin's Spirit isn't censored. Maybe the issue was that both Mythra's legs were exposed, while Azura only has one like Palutena (sounds crazy but rating boards are even crazier).

Persona 5 and Joker released in Japan in 2016 and in the west in 2017 so there is still hope for Rex as DLC!
Sakurai specifically said announced, not released.

"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like XC2 which was announced after planning had started".

Persona 5 and Joker were publicly announced since 2013.

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet

"We decided which fighters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like XC2 which was announced after planning had started".

I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would have personally picked Joker all the way back in 2015 before the game was even released.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I find it hard to believe that Nintendo would have personally picked Joker all the way back in 2015 before the game was even released.
I don't know, maybe Nintendo wanted to get closer with Sega and decided for a third unique character from them, and at that point Joker/any Persona character makes the most sense, even if the game wasn't out, especially since they wouldn't have started working on it until now, so if P5 bombed they could have switched to Yu or someone else.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Silly unsubstantiated theory time:

Predicting best chance for Rex/Pyra is second to last of the 5 DLC. The silly reasoning?

We get 5 DLC characters after Piranha Plant up until February 2020. That's a year to get all the DLC after Piranha Plant. Assuming that full year has releases spaced relatively evenly we can guess that we'll get something roughly every 2 to 3 months and the last of the DLC will come out February 2020.

Piranha Plant comes in two months. Two months from that is April. P5 came out in April 2017, meaning Joker will likely release on the 2 year anniversary of his game's release. That same year, XC2 came out in December.

Just sayin~

Yeah, I'm already making predictions based on patterns that haven't even occurred yet. I did say it was unsubstantiated. It was an amusing thought I felt like sharing anyways tho.

...and if it does end up happening that way, I'll look like a genius. So what's the harm in throwing it out there, lol~
Well, that gives me a good excuse to mention MY tinfoil hat theory: that they added the Rex Mii Fighter costume to throw people off. Since the theme of the DLC seems to be "expect the unexpected", people will see the costume and assume that Rex was deconfirmed, so that when they do announce him, he would be unexpected.

...and now, back to our regularly scheduled normal talk.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
I don't know, especially because Female Corrin's Spirit isn't censored. Maybe the issue was that both Mythra's legs were exposed, while Azura only has one like Palutena (sounds crazy but rating boards are even crazier).

Highly doubt in 2013 that planing characters for Ultimate was on Nintendo's plate, that year was when Smash 4 was being tested and developed. I'm also pretty sure when Sakurai said this he was talking about base roster. I still believe we still have a chance.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Highly doubt in 2013 that planing characters for Ultimate was on Nintendo's plate, that year was when Smash 4 was being tested and developed. I'm also pretty sure when Sakurai said this he was talking about base roster. I still believe we still have a chance.
Probably I wasn't clear, but if Joker was already publicly announced since 2013 then he could have been considered for Smash since 2015, and after Sakurai's comment on Rex's Mii Costume I really think that the first 5 DLC were chosen alongside the base roster, or shortly after, unfortunately for us.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I think it's likely that Sakurai and Nintendo had a list of DLC considerations at some point before the final direct. I can't guess at how long ago a character could've been a DLC consideration.. months, years? Maybe Joker had been on a list like this for a long time. I mean, if it had been long enough... not sure why Joker could not have been in base roster. Maybe he was a consideration for base roster but they chose against it and it immediately put him in line for a future short list of DLC candidates. Thing is, that's also a list Assist Trophies could be in if all it takes is not making it into the roster when considered initially. So such a list makes sense to have been made at least after base roster decisions and if Joker was considered before that, it wasn't at all seriously or officially. But I do believe an unofficial "list" was made perhaps months before release. A list that they could add to, but they wouldn't look at and think about again until shortly before/after the final direct.

Take it as a full truth or not, but Sakurai has stated before that he doesn't think about DLC before the base game is complete. Now, "think about" might not include having a preliminary plan where nothing is set but it's there all the same. Like I said, there's a good chance there was some vague plan with an extensive list that may not have been fully hashed out and narrowed down until after the last direct. That's when the "DLC fighters were chosen" as we were told. Also, tho Sakurai has stated he didn't think about DLC, maybe Nintendo was. Maybe Nintendo and Sakurai had a long list of potential candidates and while Sakurai was still in the last few months of production, Nintendo shortened the list down to something that would eventually become DLC.

In the past I've wondered aloud here if that process was a situation where Sakurai selected the 5 from a list Nintendo made. On Nintendo made a list form a selection of Sakurai desires. Or maybe some combination of those two scenarios. My inclination is to think that it was a list Sakurai made that Nintendo told him who they'd support, so Sakurai pulled from what was left after that? The reasoning being Joker. Sakurai's love of P5 pretty well implies that it was his choice. I don't see Nintendo pulling Joker out of the blue and saying, "what do you think of this guy, Sakurai?" I think it's more a scenario where Sakurai said, "I want this guy in Smash" and Nintendo just said "sure".

It's a scenario like that, that gives Rex/Pyra hope as well. Rex/Pyra are A LOT more likely to be a Nintendo suggestion than Joker, but they're also likely to be a Sakurai desire as implied by his commented love of XC2 in the past and proven from him literally stating Rex was a desire during the mii costume part of the direct. It still looks really good for them, honestly, when you consider that. Assuming things worked like I speculated, it's just a matter of the magnitude of Sakurai's desire and what Nintendo's say was. If Rex/Pyra's inclusion goes down like that it could be Sakurai saying, "I want them in smash" and Nintendo either saying yes or no. Alternatively, maybe Sakurai looked at having 5 options as laid out by Nintendo and said "who's '6' and doesn't quite make it for me?"... and that's where we are now with Nintendo not objecting. Maybe the Rex mii costume really is consolation. If the Joker scenario isn't how it went down tho and Nintendo were the ones making suggestions with Sakurai choosing... then it would have to be Sakurai saying yes or no to Nintendo wanting Rex/Pyra... which seems weird, especially if Sakurai said no given such a choice. In any case, when you look at the popularity of Rex/Pyra and Sakurai's stated desires, the odds are still on their side. If they don't make it it's seemingly a business decision or a near miss because Sakurai had to choose and they weren't quite top 5 material.

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I really want Rex and Pyra, I get more discouraged as time goes on and it sucks because I was sure they were a lock for the base roster. It's crazy to me that Shulk is still the only Xenoblade rep.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I really want Rex and Pyra, I get more discouraged as time goes on and it sucks because I was sure they were a lock for the base roster. It's crazy to me that Shulk is still the only Xenoblade rep.
That's what get's me personally, I was really hopeful they would get in at first, then we learned about how early Ultimate started it's planning stages and I figured they would be a lock for DLC and so far all we have seen there is a Mii costume.

I sincerely think that there is still a chance, but I am getting more pessimistic with every announcement and it really blows, since I had such high hopes for them.

Not even Elma got in and I don't really see Nintendo pushing her, so Xenoblade may very well go without a second rep, which is really unfortunate, given how much the series has grown, it and Wario are, to me, the most glaring examples of franchises that are more then big enough to warrant more then just one character (Splatoon too, but that series was only just introduced to the roster).

Last edited:

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
Not even Elma got in and I don't really see Nintendo pushing her, so Xenoblade may very well go without a second rep, which is really unfortunate, given how much the series has grown, it and Wario are, to me, the most glaring examples of franchises that are more then big enough to warrant more then just one character (Splatoon too, but that series was only just introduced to the roster).
I would also argue that Yoshi could have more than one fighter since I've noticed Nintendo has been putting Poochy in more recent Yoshi games. However, I have mixed feelings of either Poochy or Baby Mario being a fighter in Smash. F-Zero on the other hand seems to be dormant and has not gotten another game since 2004.

A lot of people were quite upset when they found out Lucas didn't get into the base roster of Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS which is why he was brought back for DLC.

Even third party franchises are getting more representation in smash than Xenoblade. When I look at representation, I look at both fighters and stages. Wario, Yoshi, F-Zero and Pikmin have at least 2 stages even though they only have 1 fighter (Alph doesn't count). Street Fighter and Castlevania have an echo fighter (Ken & Richter) along with the main fighter (Ryu & Simon) and Sonic has 2 stages. Even though only 4 stages were new; 2 are for new franchises and 2 are from 2 new games from Nintendo most popular franchises (Mario & Legend of Zelda).

It's bad enough to say that if Nintendo didn't pick any new Xenoblade fighters for DLC; It would actually feel that Nintendo does NOT like the Xenoblade franchise.

Last edited:

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Xenoblade has just had some terrible timing all around. X came out in 2015 in April for Japan, but didn't release until December 2015 for everywhere else. This is a problem because now Western players wouldn't select an X character for the Smash Ballot because they didn't know much about the game. X also released at the end of the Wii U era which definitely hurt sales. Then we have Xenoblade 2 which released way too late to be in the base, and possibly for DLC too. I really hope we get more representation for this growing franchise, but I'm not expecting at this point.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Xenoblade has just had some terrible timing all around. X came out in 2015 in April for Japan, but didn't release until December 2015 for everywhere else. This is a problem because now Western players wouldn't select an X character for the Smash Ballot because they didn't know much about the game. X also released at the end of the Wii U era which definitely hurt sales. Then we had Xenoblade 2 which released way too late to be in the base, and possibly for DLC too. I really hope we get more representation for this growing franchise, but I'm not expecting at this point.
Takahashi likes shaking things up; X was originally flat-out "XenoX/XenoCross" and got the Xenoblade name slapped onto it mid-development, and the job listings + concept art for their next project is painting it as something completely different (online and action based with a more straight high-fantasy setting) that I'd almost bet isn't even going to be under the series name.

Xenoblade, as a series, could even be over in a manner of speaking.

Last edited:

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Takahashi likes shaking things up; X was originally flat-out "XenoX/XenoCross" and got the Xenoblade name slapped onto it mid-development, and the job listings + concept art for their next project is painting it as something completely different (online and action based with a more straight high-fantasy setting) that I'd almost bet isn't even going to be under the series name.

I think it will be back at some point. Maybe not soon but eventually.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Maybe something I didn't make clear is they do more censoring for characters than they do with Spirits. Azura is a good example of this.

For Corrin, the amount of skin that is covered for her isn't much. They basically made her show less leg. Mythra has something similar done where they cover up the patches of skin on her hips. This is why it could have been done because she is going to be playable (alongside Rex). In short, they don't change Spirits that much, and Mythra got more than just cleavage covered up (but enough for the Smash Bros characters).

Monolith has two teams actually. Takahashi has already said they want to work on XCX2 and XC3. The team making the action game is different than the one that makes Xenobalde. With XC2 selling 1.5 million, I expect Nintendo will allow them to keep making Xenobalde.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Yeah, the fantasy action game has been in development for a while, the new Xeno project only recently started a recruitment drive in comparison.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, JWitz recently did a video on characters he wants as DLC, and he had Rex and Pyra on the list. I don't know if anyone here cares about that, but I thought I'd mention it.

D

Deleted member

Well, JWitz recently did a video on characters he wants as DLC, and he had Rex and Pyra on the list. I don't know if anyone here cares about that, but I thought I'd mention it.
I'm glad people are showing support, even if there's just a small glimmer of hope.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Well Atlus had just released their FExSMT crossover in 2015 so it's not that weird that the main character for their next game would be considered for 3rd party DLC even back then.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well Atlus had just released their FExSMT crossover in 2015 so it's not that weird that the main character for their next game would be considered for 3rd party DLC even back then.
Think Joker also basically has become the Cloud for Atlus, in that he has become their most recognisable character for the mainstream audience.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Think Joker also basically has become the Cloud for Atlus, in that he has become their most recognisable character for the mainstream audience.
Agreed, its also possible they had a different Atlus rep selected but Atlus asked them to switch to Joker when his popularity took off.

Machete

Smash Ace
Meh as far as I am concerned it makes no sense to change Mythra's spirit so much unless she is intended to be on the game at some point. Pyra's legs didn't get covered up while Mythra's did and on a image it makes no difference, but on a model a skirt and shorts are very different. I'll keep thinking that even if just one of the five DLCs is first party, it's gotta be Rex and his blades. There's gotta be a reason Sakurai didn't even make them Assist Trophies, when he considers it the best thing after being playable.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
The more I sit on it, the more I think how odd it would be for them NOT to include another Xeno rep. If you look at the amount of fan art, doujinshi, and even popularity on social media like Likes and Retweets, like here for example: https://twitter.com/XenobladeJP/status/1079905802318565376

The property is clearly popular and of course as we all know, Sakurai loves XC2.

I think my only hang up is that clearly they're going for wild and crazy characters not thought possible for Smash in the upcoming DLC. I think out of the 5, at least one will be a more down to Earth pick from an outright Nintendo property, and that pick will be Rex.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
My viewpoint on the issue of Ultimate DLC is, if Rex actually has a chance, it will have to be after 2020, so he doesn't get in the way of the Big Five. If Rex can't get in this time, no big deal, at least Xenoblade is active as a series, so the window of opportunity remains open.

It's weirder that XCX has no music whatsoever in here when even XB2 has it.

Agreed, its also possible they had a different Atlus rep selected but Atlus asked them to switch to Joker when his popularity took off.
One thing for sure is the timing was really lucky, since Persona was seen as niche as a series until P5 existed.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
May be late to this, but finally got around to beating World of Light and have seen most of the spirits, including the Xenoblade series characters. Clearly some effort went into the specific spirit battles and the references they make. It's interesting that Rex and Pyra and Mythra have separate spirit battles but they all kinda have stuff in common and play kinda similar. As I've mentioned before, I don't think their spirit status does anything to hurt their chances of being playable at all. That will not be a factor if they don't make it.

Interesting thing I noticed tho unrelated to Xenoblade.... the Petey Piranha spirit battle. People have mentioned a lack of Piranha Plant spirit as some sort of indication that he was always planned as a fighter? First of all, that's been kinda debunked a long while back since it still clings to a logic that a fighter can't be a spirit and yet we have lots of spirits that are essentially just a variation on an existing fighter. That said... if we're to consider that logic, it's interesting that there's a Petey Piranha spirit and it's represented by Ivysaur. I wonder if that'll change when Piranha Plant is added or they'll just keep it the same. Maybe not significant in the grand scheme really... but perhaps worth paying attention to when Piranha Plant is released. I'm betting they don't change that spirit battle... which would be kind of a shame, but would also prove that they don't care that much about spirit conflict with DLC. I would bet on new spirit battles being added along with spirits to the spirit board with the DLC. I imagine Joker will come with new spirit battles and spirits for instance.

Admittedly, my biggest remaining doubt for Rex and Pyra/Mythra is that XC2 could be considered already represented with Shulk representing the whole Xenoblade series. I could see that being the excuse used by Nintendo to not include them. That concern more arose with the hints at "expect the unexpected". But I think that also would work against any new Metroid or Fire Emblem rep too. Really, it's only a disadvantage if we assume they're going big third party at every chance they got. Which is possible. I mean, technically Monolith is almost like a third party, heh... not really, but they're a recent constant partner of more like 2nd party status. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised necessarily if all we got was big third party stuff from here on out, but I'd be kind of disappointed. I'd be less surprised if we got a mix however, more like Smash 4's DLC. Imo, if Corrin can make it I don't see why Rex and Pyra wouldn't. But maybe Corrin is just an indication that the new FE will get a new rep and Xenoblade isn't yet big enough to get FE treatment. It'll be so hard to say until the moment we either see them or don't. That's the thing. Even with the next reveal after Joker, I doubt we'll have a better idea of what Nintendo is up to. Some leaks have implied it's all third party from here on out, so I guess we'll just see how crazy they try to go with the next reveal or if it'll be something more familiar. At a certain point, what was once expected becomes unexpected when you've been conditioned to expect the craziest stuff, heh... flawless logic huh?~

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sorry for the double post, but it's been kinda dead in here and I wanted to share a thing that just got announced....

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/01/xenoblade_chronicles_2_is_getting_a_gorgeous_new_art_book

Relevant to all our interests I assume. I'm considering it but maybe see if there's a hint at a western release at some point in the next few months before committing. I'm sure there's fighter spirit or replacement spirit art in here, heh.
Keep an eye out for art that has Rex and his blades together.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Rex will make it in this Fighter Pass, but if there's a 2nd one he's basically a lock. Just going to go with that leak that said the last 4 characters are
Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, Steve/Alex from Minecraft, and Doomguy
to avoid getting my hopes up.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Rex will make it in this Fighter Pass, but if there's a 2nd one he's basically a lock. Just going to go with that leak that said the last 4 characters are
Erdrick, Ryu Hayabusa, Steve/Alex from Minecraft, and Doomguy
to avoid getting my hopes up.
I feel like I may have missed something, where did Ryu and Doomguy come from?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like I may have missed something, where did Ryu and Doomguy come from?
A supposed leak from a Japanese message board (5ch, I think) said that the DLC in the season pass would be Joker (who had been revealed at the time), Erdrick from Dragon Quest, Steve? from Minecraft, Ryu Hayabusa, and Doomguy. From what I saw from a translation, their source was a post on Reddit, so I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1087124601807691776

More interview translations. Both Arms and XB2 were too late for inclusion in the Project Plan, so that's probably why they ended up with multiple Mii costumes and other content only. Considering the direction DLC is going I think this means we're not seeing XB2 in this fighter's pass.
As expected.

Not much left to do since well you could keep pushing for him. Assuming it won't be too late for him to join a future Smash

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
After bringing everyone back and bringing in Joker to the mix, I believe Sakurai can do anything. So at this point, the only thing that can make me believe Rex isn't going to be in Smash is when the final DLC character is announced. I don't care what vague interviews have to say. Sakurai has proven time and time again that he can make miracles happen.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
After bringing everyone back and bringing in Joker to the mix, I believe Sakurai can do anything. So at this point, the only thing that can make me believe Rex isn't going to be in Smash is when the final DLC character is announced. I don't care what vague interviews have to say. Sakurai has proven time and time again that he can make miracles happen.
Miracles like going against his own statements about putting him in?

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Miracles like going against his own statements about putting him in?
If you think Sakurai is going to give us any hints whatsoever about possible DLC fighters, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Top Bottom