• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I think you're underestimating the power of Smash. The thing with fighter DLC in Smash is that most people are going to buy them regardless of who's in it. They're gonna want the full roster, especially if they plan on getting into competitive.
Actually I think this works both ways. If Smash players will buy the DLC either way, then wouldn't it make sense to try get newcomers who will appeal to non-Smash players? Getting to someone to buy a Switch and Smash Bros because they love Sora or Steve and want to play as them in Minecraft means Nintendo makes more sales and they still make money from people buying the Fighter's Pass.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't know if Katalina makes sense tbh. Isn't Nintendo and Cygames' partnership like a very recent thing? And what came out of that was Dragalia Lost so if anything, it makes more sense to have Not Shulk Euden (Dragalia protag) in Smash as he would represent Nintendo's new mobile side.

Then again, the DLC runs up to 2020 so the partnership being recent isn't that big of an issue.

Also, i'm asking this as i barely know anything about Granblue but if we were to get a Granblue rep, wouldn't Gran/Djeeta or Lyra make more sense instead since those two (three) are appearently the main characters (and by main, i mean the leading protags)?

Ah yeah, those two i see having a pretty high chance. Dragon Quest in general has been on Nintendo platforms more consistently.
Maybe Dragalia lost is still too new to really push. its possible for sure, but Cygames may want to put their "mascot" as you say, and Katalina seems to be that, plus she is staring in the new Granblue Platinum games game.

Yeah, how much DQ is on nintendo, and just how massive the series is, makes me feel slime or someone is more likely.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I haven't really voiced my support for Rex before in fear of XC2 spoilers, but I guess now's as good a time as any to do so. I love XC2 and would really love to see Rex & Pyra make it in as a duo. I have an idea on how they could function, too. You would control Rex, using the Aegis sword to attack and whatnot, while Pyra follows closely behind. Pyra acts as your support, and the affinity line connecting them is visible. If you stay close to her in battle, your affinity will gradually increase, strengthening Rex's attacks. If you stray too far from her your affinity breaks, leaving you weaker until you reconnect the bond. Like in XC2, Pyra can't actually be attacked, and if she falls off the map she will respawn on the stage as soon as Rex makes it back to the ground.

That would be their main gimmick, but I had a couple of other ideas I wanted to share. A few moves I'd like to see included in Rex's arsenal are Anchor Shot either as his grab or as a command grab that trips the opponent, Double Spinning Edge as side special (having the potential to break shields?), the basic auto-attack combo animation for jab, Burning Sword as their recovery move, and a chain attack with Nia, Dromarch, Tora, and Poppi for their Final Smash. This next idea is a little gimmicky and might be unreasonable to expect, but it would be cool if you could cancel some of your normal attacks into specials just like in XC2. For example, cancelling the third hit of your jab into Double Spinning Edge. It would make battles feel a little more authentic in my mind, and it would open up the opportunity for combos you otherwise wouldn't have.

Regarding alternate costumes, I think it would be a really smart move to allow the player to choose between Pyra or Mythra from the character select screen, just like choosing alts separately for the Pokemon Trainer and his/her Pokemon. It would be nice to be able to swap between them in battle, but without elemental weaknesses I feel like there wouldn't be much of a point in a mechanic like this since their abilities are so similar. This way, fans of Mythra can be happy too without needing to integrate a blade swapping mechanic into the moveset.

Our situation for DLC is indeed strange, as plenty of you have pointed out. The way Sakurai phrased things during the Direct really seemed ambiguous as to whether Rex has a chance or not. Regardless, I'm still going to hold out hope, so let's look to the future together, shall we?

Machete

Smash Ace
Honestly, if you read the "leak" that has Katalina in it, that sounds more like the negotiations were to include Granblue characters as Spirits, not really fully playable characters. Which would make sense given the vast amount of characters that are Spirits, even third-parties. I don't think there'd be backlash to have Spirits of a popular mobile game, as opposed to a paid playable character. It also lines up with Vergeben not having heard anything on that front, as opposed to a DLC Square character and some form of Minecraft content, both of which he claimed before that other leaker (Senjougahara_Hitagi) showed up.

But I mean. The point is, the Hitagi dude claimed the DLC negotiations were happening like a couple of months ago, as seen here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm..._to_rkappa_but_****_maikky/e647za8/?context=1
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm..._to_rkappa_but_****_maikky/e64g33b/?context=1

Which means if Katalina was actually a DLC character (or was simply considered), that means DLCs weren't even decided a couple months ago, which is yet again a good thing for Rex and proves the claim about Rex was just about the base roster.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
It's possible Nia could be an Echo fighter of Rex all they have to do is replace Pyra with the Tiger and give Nia different moves, Rex and Nia are both drivers after all.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
It's possible Nia could be an Echo fighter of Rex all they have to do is replace Pyra with the Tiger and give Nia different moves, Rex and Nia are both drivers after all.
That doesn't make any sense. If Nia was given different moves, she wouldn't even be an echo at that point. Dromarch also has a completely different body shape from Pyra.

Yusa

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

i have collected my thoughts on this current situation and kind of come around to it.
First off - and what i'm insanely glad about - XC2 Music. I deemed it only possible in tandem with a newcomer, but here we are! Hope there's more than the obvious 3 battle themes or so...give me Counterattack, Drifting Soul and some Titan themes please (Tantal is my top pick).
Next, i REALLY hope spirits are fun, and Mii fighters buffed and better to play, for that matter. Even if it's only quite fan-fiction-y and half-baked,i'd take pretending to have Nia and Rex team up with Pyra, Morag and Tora spirits to fight Shulk over not having any of their assets all day.

So, how do you guys see the chances for Jin & Lora as DLC? They HAVE been around and very popular since the main game, and Torna has received immense praise, so i think they are likely, if only for the possible Season Pass 2, should it be true that all of wave 1 was decided on earlier than the hayday of XC2.
Would also be fun to see another Nomura creation in Smash (and Sephi-Jin vs. Cloud is just lol), which would be an even cooler addition if Sora made it as well.

Their game plan could very well be easier to implement in making them similar to Pkmn Trainer, only with a switch-in attack move.
The other 3 arts could each be smash attacks, while the specials...well, would be specials.
Have them come with a Torna stage, Elysium or Uraya (just holding out hope for that personally), 5 Torna songs and some great ones they might have missed from the original one (the power of Jin?).

What d'ya think?

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,

i have collected my thoughts on this current situation and kind of come around to it.
First off - and what i'm insanely glad about - XC2 Music. I deemed it only possible in tandem with a newcomer, but here we are! Hope there's more than the obvious 3 battle themes or so...give me Counterattack, Drifting Soul and some Titan themes please (Tantal is my top pick).
Next, i REALLY hope spirits are fun, and Mii fighters buffed and better to play, for that matter. Even if it's only quite fan-fiction-y and half-baked,i'd take pretending to have Nia and Rex team up with Pyra, Morag and Tora spirits to fight Shulk over not having any of their assets all day.

So, how do you guys see the chances for Jin & Lora as DLC? They HAVE been around and very popular since the main game, and Torna has received immense praise, so i think they are likely, if only for the possible Season Pass 2, should it be true that all of wave 1 was decided on earlier than the hayday of XC2.
Would also be fun to see another Nomura creation in Smash (and Sephi-Jin vs. Cloud is just lol), which would be an even cooler addition if Sora made it as well.

Their game plan could very well be easier to implement in making them similar to Pkmn Trainer, only with a switch-in attack move.
The other 3 arts could each be smash attacks, while the specials...well, would be specials.
Have them come with a Torna stage, Elysium or Uraya (just holding out hope for that personally), 5 Torna songs and some great ones they might have missed from the original one (the power of Jin?).

What d'ya think?
At this point I would take any Xenoblade Chronicles 2 character. Doesn't need to be Rex. I just really want representation in the game. If an X character comes in and not 2, people will start blasting the game saying that its too trash to get a rep. Jin and Lora would play interesting, so I would be okay with them too.

zferolie

Smash Hero
With Rex a Mii Costume, theres only 1 logical choice for the DLC character from Xenoblade 2

D

Deleted member

Hey guys,

What d'ya think?
If there is a season pass 2, Rex is confirmed. I am 100% confident in that. Not sure about Jin, I think Sakurai would rather rep the protag rather then the secondary (tertiary?) antagonist

Fantasia

BRoomer
BRoomer
Switch FC
SW-3476-8294-6601
Guys, I want to have Nia in the game. Does anyone know if Nia is going to be in Smash? I hope Nia gets to be in smash. If Nia gets into smash then I will lose my mind. I love Nia. Nia is great. Nia is the best. And Dromarch too, he's kinda cool too. But Nintendo would do me a solid if Nia was in the game. Please Nintendo, put Nia in the game. Nia for Smash!

D

Deleted member

Guys, I want to have Nia in the game. Does anyone know if Nia is going to be in Smash? I hope Nia gets to be in smash. If Nia gets into smash then I will lose my mind. I love Nia. Nia is great. Nia is the best. And Dromarch too, he's kinda cool too. But Nintendo would do me a solid if Nia was in the game. Please Nintendo, put Nia in the game. Nia for Smash!
She's a mii costume

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I don't see Nia as a viable echo to Rex. Has less to do with Dromarch being tiger shaped since we don't know the mechanics of how blades work but they could just be in the background most of the time like PT, only coming forward for specials or smashes or something. I think the thing that makes it harder is that Nia would be using twin rings whereas Rex would have the giant sword shaped Aegis sword.

Point being, I agree she wouldn't make sense as an echo, just with some clarity why. They'd really have to go out of their way to do something that doesn't make sense to make her one. She'd definitely be an original character if they added her. I don't think Sakurai would consider adding her unless she was.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The only character that could come close to working as an Echo Fighter for Rex would be Addam and even then they'd have to change the character's scale (animations can work with scaled up or down models as long as they fit the right skeleton) while also fudging a bit of Addam's playstyle to be closer to what Rex uses. I think the changed scale alone would make it unviable for a mere Echo Fighter.

I do think it's bizarre they have no plans for Echo Fighter DLC whatsoever, though. Malos would work over Shulk quite well and if Rex truly isn't possible as DLC then an Echo Fighter seems like a much more viable way of getting an XB2 fighter onto the roster since less needs to be changed.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Counterpoint;

If Pichu can get away with being as large as Ivysaur, or Young Link can be nearly as tall as regular Link, then Malos can be Shulk's height. Dark Samus has a radically different appearance thanks to her idle animations all being new, which makes up for their physiques.

Machete

Smash Ace
Real talk, Rex with Pyra/Mythra taking an active role in his gameplay and Malos as a Shulk echo would be the best case scenario. Way too good to happen though

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Counterpoint;

If Pichu can get away with being as large as Ivysaur, or Young Link can be nearly as tall as regular Link, then Malos can be Shulk's height. Dark Samus has a radically different appearance thanks to her idle animations all being new, which makes up for their physiques.

If Sakurai had to cite that Isabelle couldn't be made into an echo of Villager because of differences in body type and personality, then Malos can't be made a Shulk Echo.
and Malos as a Shulk echo.
No. Differences in body types makes it impossible.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hey guys I wouldn't worry about Rex. If he doesn't get into Smash Ultimate he is pretty much a lock for the next Smash Bros.

Rex's game sold loads and is a big poster boy for the Switch right now. Like Link, Springman etc.

The roster next time around will have Rex and Springman in. They were lucky to be there right in year 1 of Smash Bros.

So don't fret! Just enjoy the ride :)

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I wouldn't worry about Rex. If he doesn't get into Smash Ultimate he is pretty much a lock for the next Smash Bros.

Rex's game sold loads and is a big poster boy for the Switch right now. Like Link, Springman etc.

The roster next time around will have Rex and Springman in. They were lucky to be there right in year 1 of Smash Bros.

So don't fret! Just enjoy the ride :)
I wouldn't be so sure. If the next Xenoblade game releases before that point I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai focused on it rather than 2.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be so sure. If the next Xenoblade game releases before that point I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai focused on it rather than 2.
Not really, he'd go for the one people have the most attachment to for that generation. Unless XC3 was on Switch and had a better fanbase, I doubt it very much.

Plus Xenoblade 2 was released in year 1. Regardless of when XC3 is released, a lot more people will be remembering Rex than XC3 protag

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Is there any evidence that echoes have to be the same size as the characters they borrow from? I mean, mostly all echoes are the same size or very close, but the main point of echoes is they are similar in moves and physics, but not sure if size is necessarily been claimed to be that way too... it just has been so far. Course, if you did nothing but upscale Shulk on Malos... Malos would have stupid range.

Also, regarding Rex's chances in "next Smash". That's way down the road. This one hasn't even been released, and unlike Smash 4, this game is on the Switch and the Switch looks to have a more full lifespan. That said, he still would have a chance then. Especially if Xenoblade series goes the way of FE. Rather (and more likely) now for Rex than later, imo.

Last edited:

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
I don't think it's even worth talking about echoes at this point. Sakurai stated in the direct that the DLC characters wouldn't be echoes. Most likely because they feel that would be sort of a rip off to those who bought the pass expecting new characters.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm just being naive, but I am rather optimistic about Rex's chances for DLC. Mii costumes are not a hard deconfirmation of any sort and I'm very certain that Sakura was talking about the base game, when was talking about how Rex couldn't make it onto the roster due to the timing of his game.

Sakurai is the kind of guy who, at least from how I see him, isn't one to think much about DLC until his game is at least close to done and by the time Ultimate comes out XC2 will be over a year old, so Rex had plenty of time to become part of the DLC plans, especially with Sakurai liking Xenoblade and DLC development not even having started yet.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I don't know if this was discussed yet but... I wouldn't say Rex is impossible.

As the direct shown there are characters on the roster with spirits, so spirits don't decomfirm anyone.

Then as when Sakurai showed off some of the Mii stuff during that japanese tournament, the Chrom mii costume is still there, and I wouldn't put it past some of the other ones being there either still that are of playable characters (that and uh... Nia is a Mii Braleer costume so... wondering who'll be a Gunner...)

Regardless the point is: Rex isn't deconfirmed as everyone thinks he is, he still has a shot at getting in as one of the DLC characters.

The only way he'd be deconfirmed is if he was an assist trophy or boss, which uh... we know he ain't an AT like Spring-man (who I thought was a shoe-in as a DLC fighter) and I doubt we'd see him as a boss either so... don't give up hope!

Last edited:

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
People seem to just write Rex & Pyra off as "cannot be DLC" because he was shown to be a Mii fighter during the presentation and claim the DLC characters was planned along with the base game's roster which seems to go against Sakurai's thoughts of DLC. Another reason is that Inkling and King K. Rool were not able to be in DLC for Smash 4 because they had mii fighters. The most likely reason that Inkling was unable to be DLC is because they would probably been unable to be programmed on the 3DS's hardware. As for King K. Rool he just didn't win the fighter ballot over Bayonetta. Isabelle was already an Assist in that game. Chrom's playability in this game is just weird. He is still featured in Robin's FS despite being playable.

A vocal minority of people just flat out deny Rex & Pyra as DLC because they didn't like the game which is unjustified.

Corrin's game was released during the development of Wii U and 3DS's DLC which is why he was eligible. (He also didn't need a stage since there was already FE series stages to begin with)

The only thing is if the DLC is purely going to be third parties, that can really screw them up since it's possible that they will no longer be trending characters by the time Smash 7 (If you count Wii U and 3DS separate games) arrives, especially if Switch is going to stay strong and we won't get another until next console in the far far future.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yo guys, sorry for your loss, but to give you a bit of a confidence boost: DEFINITELY next time! Xenoblade 2 shapes up to be the most ambitious Xenoblade game, and really sets the franchise in stone for a mainstay Nintendo franchise. Rex will probably be playable next time, and just about one of the first characters to be revealed. He'll probably get hype Blade gimmicks as well. So, I don't think all is lost yet.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Yo guys, sorry for your loss, but to give you a bit of a confidence boost: DEFINITELY next time! Xenoblade 2 shapes up to be the most ambitious Xenoblade game, and really sets the franchise in stone for a mainstay Nintendo franchise. Rex will probably be playable next time, and just about one of the first characters to be revealed. He'll probably get hype Blade gimmicks as well. So, I don't think all is lost yet.
If you mean the next Smash, then I think Rex & Pyra are going to get sniped by the new Xenoblade protagonist, because the next Smash imo is atleast 6-8 years away in the future and i'm confident we would already have the new Xenoblade game released by then.

Elma's chances depend on if we get true sequal to XBX in that time frame to(there is always a chance that XBX2 in Takahashi's eyes is an open world game again, with lesser story focus, because the guy is infamous for not completing stories)

So yeah I feel for the next Smash it will be Elma if XBX is continued or the new protagonist

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
If you mean the next Smash, then I think Rex & Pyra are going to get sniped by the new Xenoblade protagonist, because the next Smash imo is atleast 6-8 years away in the future and i'm confident we would already have the new Xenoblade game released by then.

Elma's chances depend on if we get true sequal to XBX in that time frame to(there is always a chance that XBX2 in Takahashi's eyes is an open world game again, with lesser story focus, because the guy is infamous for not completing stories)

So yeah I feel for the next Smash it will be Elma if XBX is continued or the new protagonist
I can't understand why they can't add more than 1 rep for a franchise that isn't Mario, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem or Pokemon. Xenoblade now feels very underrepresented for how much the franchise has boomed during the development of Ultimate. Having only 2 reps in the next game seems quite low if the franchise continues to boom. Sure we had Dark Pit and Dark Samus but those were echoes for existing characters while true new fighters like Palutena and Ridley were the real additions. There is also Richter the only echo that echoes a new fighter. If Elma (or another XCX character) was a fighter in smash, Rex & Pyra would feel far less likely as DLC. It's Elma that kinda got the short end of the stick in hindsight. I'm really sorry to Elma fans but that how it's turned out. It's likely that XCX2 will have a new cast as well so Elma might not appear at all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im gonna wait before all five characters are revealed before i give up on him

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I can't understand why they can't add more than 1 rep for a franchise that isn't Mario, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem or Pokemon. Xenoblade now feels very underrepresented for how much the franchise has boomed during the development of Ultimate. Having only 2 reps in the next game seems quite low if the franchise continues to boom. Sure we had Dark Pit and Dark Samus but those were echoes for existing characters while true new fighters like Palutena and Ridley were the real additions. There is also Richter the only echo that echoes a new fighter. If Elma (or another XCX character) was a fighter in smash, Rex & Pyra would feel far less likely as DLC. It's Elma that kinda got the short end of the stick in hindsight. I'm really sorry to Elma fans but that how it's turned out. It's likely that XCX2 will have a new cast as well so Elma might not appear at all.
Yeah I feel Elma's chances for DLC are a bit overestimated, because the lack of X music is a double edged sword.

On one hand the lack of music could hint at a DLC pack, but on the other hand Sakurai apologised for Rex not making base, while Sakurai had the choice for Elma at base, because Elma had even better timing then Incineroar (who I guarantee you is a Greninja situation), so I feel its very likely X will be ignored.

I also feel KOS-MOS is a Xeno rep we should not underestimate, because she would be a Namco and Xeno rep, and I believe she also has some popularity and is a common guest choice in other Namco IP's

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999

If Sakurai had to cite that Isabelle couldn't be made into an echo of Villager because of differences in body type and personality, then Malos can't be made a Shulk Echo.

No. Differences in body types makes it impossible.
Honestly, i find Sakurai's reasonings for making Isabelle not an Echo to be a load of bull. Isabelle is like, almost the same size as Villager and if personality is a factor, then all of the Echo Fighters should be their own fighter.

Yeah I feel Elma's chances for DLC are a bit overestimated, because the lack of X music is a double edged sword.
To be fair, we don't actually know if there's a lack of X music. The tracklist we saw is likely the starting list, meaning there's more songs to be unlocked if the Shop is anything to go by. X representation is already in the game (Skell Spirit), i think it's too early to say that there isn't any X music.

I also feel KOS-MOS is a Xeno rep we should not underestimate, because she would be a Namco and Xeno rep, and I believe she also has some popularity and is a common guest choice in other Namco IP's
Yeah, KOS-MOS has a fairly decent chance. They could even use her XC2 design so she represents both Xenosaga and Xenoblade 2.

Regardless, every Xeno protag has a higher chance than Fei because Fei is trapped in Square Enix purgatory.

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
Honestly, i find Sakurai's reasonings for making Isabelle not an Echo to be a load of bull. Isabelle is like, almost the same size as Villager and if personality is a factor, then all of the Echo Fighters should be their own fighter.

To be fair, we don't actually know if there's a lack of X music. The tracklist we saw is likely the starting list, meaning there's more songs to be unlocked if the Shop is anything to go by. X representation is already in the game (Skell Spirit), i think it's too early to say that there isn't any X music.

Yeah, KOS-MOS has a fairly decent chance. They could even use her XC2 design so she represents both Xenosaga and Xenoblade 2.

Regardless, every Xeno protag has a higher chance than Fei because Fei is trapped in Square Enix purgatory.
KOS-MOS was around since Monolith's Bamco times, I wouldn't mind KOS-MOS personally.
I would love to hear Wir fliegen and Uncontrollable in Smash bros, There were some very catchy songs in XCX.
I'd think that there is so much in Animal Crossing that they might have decided to use some rejected Villager ideas for Isabelle (Villager never used a fishing rod in Smash despite existing since the first game), hence why Isabelle has her own moveset.

But I'm beginning to digress.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

I believe people already counted the full list of all the Xenoblade songs, because the list updated, when they showed XB2 content. Also X music requires contacting Sawano.

KOS-MOS also is getting a new statue from goodsmile(same company that are making the Pyra and Mythra statue), so I feel she is getting a bit of a revival to.

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
Don't forget KOS-MOS is still appearing in Project X Zone games even when Monolith soft has joined Nintendo.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I believe people already counted the full list of all the Xenoblade songs, because the list updated, when they showed XB2 content. Also X music requires contacting Sawano.
When was this? I thought that the first and only time when we saw the Xenoblade tracklist was during the Rex costume portion of the Direct? How do we know the full list when the game isn't out?

Also, doesn't Nintendo own the Xenoblade X soundtrack? The only song that actually would require contacting Sawano is Melancholia and that's because it was an actual, actual song that Sawano composed before X existed.

Even then though, both Uncontrollable and Wir Fliegen are in XC2 so contacting Sawano shouldn't be hard.

Last edited:

Machete

Smash Ace
Elma being DLC seems... unlikely to me. Don't get me wrong, a kick-ass brown girl with swordkatanas sliding all over the place would be great, but I don't see her as DLC. If she was DLC, that means that Sakurai indeed must have chosen the DLC roster before Rex and Pyra were a thing, which is unlikely, but even if that was the case, why was Elma chosen as DLC? That means her competition for the DLC spot was the popular ballot choices that we know didn't end up in the roster. Does anyone really believe Elma would be chosen as DLC instead of characters like Isaac, Skull Kid, Midna, Krystal or Waluigi? I have a hard time buying that, honestly.

It seems a ton more probable, in my opinion, that the missing Xenoblade X content is just a result of Wii U content in general being ignored other than Inkling which was the breakout star of that console. There doesn't seem to be a huge demand of X content. If this game was a normal Smash sequel she definitely would be in, but the Smash team probably saw early on how while Smash 4 could freely celebrate and promote the Wii/DS/3DS era, a Smash game based around celebrating the Wii U era would mostly disappoint, which is why they instead made a game focused on nostalgia and the absolutely most popular characters out there. Out of the first party newcomers, Inkling, Isabelle and the Gen 7th Pokemon were always the safest choices as the new Nintendo icons that came out in the relevant timeframe, but other than them, the only first party newcomers were Ridley and K.Rool, the two most requested characters. Elma doesn't have the popularity backing her up, nor the legacy.

I don't know, I wouldn't mind Elma being there, I'd like it, but I can absolutely see the general lack of X content simply being a "the Smash team just didn't care about one of the many games doomed by the Wii U" case rather than a "they are absolutely saving it for DLC" case. Xenoblade 2 being the much more popular game is the one that had Sakurai explain why it was missing the base roster. Most of us already knew about the roster being decided too early for the game, but a vast majority of the people watching the Direct didn't know, so that's why Sakurai probably felt he had to explain why Rex wasn't playable. Remember that a couple months ago Rex was the most expected character in Japan.

It's why I don't put much weight in the "but why would Sakurai apologize about Rex if he was going to make him playable anyways?" theory. Sakurai apologized about Rex precisely because for a huge chunk of the Smash audience that was the only moment in which they realized Rex came out too late for the base roster.

Kingshadow3

Smash Cadet
I also think that why Sakurai made Rex a Mii Fighter is because he's unsure whether he will end up being DLC. I'm not saying it's impossible, It's just not a guarantee. The only thing people find odd is that said mii fighter outfit is a gift for getting the Fighter pass while a Nia costume is free. Sakurai isn't a fortune teller, so he can't promise that Rex WILL be a DLC fighter but it shouldn't rule out the possibility that he CAN. Note that when he said he weren't able to add Rex; This statement was past tense, not future tense.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
The X music could just have to be unlocked from either challenges or outright bought from the store.

Top Bottom