• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Oooh, a Rex Support thread. If Rex got into Smash, i'd totally main him in a heartbeat.

As the game isn't out yet, it's a bit tricky to think about a potential moveset. However, i do have some ideas.
  • His Anchor Shot Art could be used as his grab. He actually uses it to grapple onto things, as show in this cutscene here.
  • Blade switching is the major battle mechanic in Xenoblade Chronicles. However, since most Blades are randomized, we wouldn't be able to incorporate it into Smash......is what i would say if Mythra didn't exist. Now that we know that Pyra and Mythra are the same person, we can easily have Rex switch between the two. Doing so would be like Shulk's Monado Arts, except it would change Rex's Specials instead of his stats.
  • Speaking of Pyra and Mythra, i see them not being in the battle directly and instead just following Rex in the background, kinda like the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl.
    • The obvious exception to this would be Rex's Final Smash. Like Ryu, Rex would have two Final Smashes, depending on whether Pyra or Mythra is active. It'd likely be based off of their Lv.4 Blade Art.
  • From what we have seen of the trailers, Rex seems to be more acrobatic and generally faster than Shulk, so that could translate into being an air-swordfighter.
  • I guess they could use his Sword Bash animation for his F-Smash, similar to how Shulk has Slit Edge as his F-Smash. Rex would have shorter range though.
  • Rex would have a projectile though. We've seen him shoot out waves of fire with Pyra and he could likely do the same with Mythra, except it would be light. That doesn't mean anything though, i mean, Roy shoots fire out of his sword but he lacks a projectile in Smash

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Oooh, a Rex Support thread. If Rex got into Smash, i'd totally main him in a heartbeat.

As the game isn't out yet, it's a bit tricky to think about a potential moveset. However, i do have some ideas.
  • His Anchor Shot Art could be used as his grab. He actually uses it to grapple onto things, as show in this cutscene here.
  • Blade switching is the major battle mechanic in Xenoblade Chronicles. However, since most Blades are randomized, we wouldn't be able to incorporate it into Smash......is what i would say if Mythra didn't exist. Now that we know that Pyra and Mythra are the same person, we can easily have Rex switch between the two. Doing so would be like Shulk's Monado Arts, except it would change Rex's Specials instead of his stats.
  • Speaking of Pyra and Mythra, i see them not being in the battle directly and instead just following Rex in the background, kinda like the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl.
    • The obvious exception to this would be Rex's Final Smash. Like Ryu, Rex would have two Final Smashes, depending on whether Pyra or Mythra is active. It'd likely be based off of their Lv.4 Blade Art.
  • From what we have seen of the trailers, Rex seems to be more acrobatic and generally faster than Shulk, so that could translate into being an air-swordfighter.
  • I guess they could use his Sword Bash animation for his F-Smash, similar to how Shulk has Slit Edge as his F-Smash. Rex would have shorter range though.
  • Rex would have a projectile though. We've seen him shoot out waves of fire with Pyra and he could likely do the same with Mythra, except it would be light. That doesn't mean anything though, i mean, Roy shoots fire out of his sword but he lacks a projectile in Smash
All of these, sound like genuinely good ideas. Bravo.

And I also agree that Pyra should have the ability to change into Mythra to change the way Rex could fight. You can't have her without her other important form.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Gameplay makes the game look sooooooooo much better than in the trailers which all have me interested but ultimately disappointed.

Where my XCX port I'd buy it immediately haven't had the chance to play that.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
And I also agree that Pyra should have the ability to change into Mythra to change the way Rex could fight. You can't have her without her other important form.
Thinking about this even more, i want the Pyra/Mythra switch to affect more than just Rex's Specials. Both the September and Xenoblade 2 Directs made it very clear that Blade Switching is very important. Like, certain characters could only be combo'd with Pyra while other characters could only be combo'd with Mythra.

It sounds complicated, and to be honest, it does confuse me a bit. But i mainly just don't want Pyra to be objectively better than Mythra and vice versa.

Oh yeah, and just like how Shulk's Monado Arts have a cooldown, Rex should also have a cooldown whenever he switches between Pyra and Mythra.

Regarding XC2, i don't actually know how Pyra switches to Mythra from a gameplay standpoint. We know it's possible, we just don't know how.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Because Saudia Arabia had to break the street date, be careful of all Xenobalde 2 spoilers online folks.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I have my copy pre-installed on my Switch. I just need to wait for it to unlock on Friday so i can play it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Preordered mine too.

All I need is an Uber lift and I can buy the rest of the game soon.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Good thing I should get an AU copy of the game soon and I'm definitely smart enough to avoid all spoilers.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
playing xenoblade 2 has reinforced my desire to see rex in smash its be so cool

also i kind of want to see a nopon and dromarch but that seems less likey

dromarch would be a cool assist trophy

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
playing xenoblade 2 has reinforced my desire to see rex in smash its be so cool

also i kind of want to see a nopon and dromarch but that seems less likey

dromarch would be a cool assist trophy
Agreed.

Dromarch is one of my favorite Blades so far. He's definitely the perfect Assust Trophy.

I'm already on Chapter 3 and love enough of the gameplay to see potential in Rex & Pyra.

Hell, I would like to see if it's possible for all Blades to be incorporate somehow, unless that's too hard.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Hell, I would like to see if it's possible for all Blades to be incorporate somehow, unless that's too hard.
Well, considering there's only about 38 Rare Blades, it shouldn't be too hard to incorporate them. Here's how: make the Core Crystals an item. Basically, the Pokeball/Assist Trophy, but for Xenoblade.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Well, considering there's only about 38 Rare Blades, it shouldn't be too hard to incorporate them. Here's how: make the Core Crystals an item. Basically, the Pokeball/Assist Trophy, but for Xenoblade.
That would actually not be a bad idea to incorporate them.

That way some of the best Blades can make an appearance without needing to be a part of Rex's moveset.

Funnily enouch, I'm about to summon my first Rare Blade.

RivalAmadeus

Smash Rookie
I'm about 8 hours in, and I am totally all for having Rex in the game. I would also love a Rex/Pyra team up, and a Pyra solo character.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I would also love a Rex/Pyra team up
This would probably be what will happen. I said this in a previous post but the way i would see it working is that Pyra (and Mythra) is in the background supporting Rex, kinda like Pokemon Trainer in Brawl. Rex's down-B would have him swap between Pyra and Mythra and this would change his elemental attributes along with maybe his stats. I actually don't know if Pyra and Mythra have different stats in the game but this is what i see happening for Smash. Rex's Final Smash would be him using Pyra or Mythra's Lv.4 Special, depending on who he's using at the time. He'd be like Ryu where he has two Final Smashes.

You know, if Rex is gonna be in Smash, he needs to come in with some amazing music. This song needs to be in Smash

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok people lets remember those spoiler boxes its still early days but we do know how the internet tends to leak everything

and also i like how theres a character with a scottish name with a scottish accent (morag)

also first time ive herd a welsh accent in a video game

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If you are on Twitter, most of what you would see is controversy over one Rare blade's design.

Yes, I mean the busty snow bunny.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So Xenoblade 2 is the best selling entry in the series so far, had a better launch than the first game. With X, it was on a dying console and had more mixed than positive reception from fans. While marketing was mediocre for the first game despite being on a well selling console like the Wii (other than the elephant in the room that are the expensive limited copies).

Sure ARMS likely sold better for being a new IP and Fire Emblem because it's easier to pick up for casuals, but that's a great accomplishment for a niche Nintendo RPG like Xenoblade. Let alone a sequel.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-48-2017-nov-27-dec-03.9808/

That said, I need to get started playing the game.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Ch.5 spoilers below but it's vague as possible so it's not really a spoiler but i'm marking it as one just in case
*gets to the end of Ch.5*
*fights boss*
Alright, who at Monolith Soft thought it was a good idea to bring back Spike Damage? That was one of the worst parts of the original game. To kill this boss, you have to kill it with a Chain Attack, so make sure to burst at least two orbs.

D

Deleted member

I got Xenoblade 2 earlier this week and I am enjoying it so far. I am unsure if I'll like it as much as Xenoblade 1, but I do like the aesthetics and art direction in XB2 more than in XBX.

As for Rex and Pyra, I do like them as characters and there are a lot of good moments in the story. I am starting to like Rex a bit more and he might be my favorite character so far, but I do enjoy Tora as a character. :p

The way I think Rex would work in Smash is that he does all of the fighting while Pyra provides support for him. You can only control Pyra with the neutral special, which would provide temporary buffs like more powerful smash attacks or boosted damage for example. It's not like Shulk's Monado Arts where Shulk gets a buff and a nerf whenever he changes Arts.
I'm unsure what his up special would be, but the ones that stoke out to me were Anchor Shot and the one Art that removes aggro from him (I forgot the name). The latter would be his down special and be like Ryu's Focus Attack where Rex would be invulnerable to all knockback and provide a powerful counterattack, while Anchor Shot is his side special would have him pull his enemy towards him and he can choose to attack back or not.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
heres a qusetion for yas, purely assthetic would you like rex to carry gramps(arzuda) in his helemt in smash?

personally id like it

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
The latter would be his down special and be like Ryu's Focus Attack where Rex would be invulnerable to all knockback and provide a powerful counterattack, while Anchor Shot is his side special would have him pull his enemy towards him and he can choose to attack back or not.
The Art you are referring to is Rolling Smash and i see that being more of his Side Special since it does move him forward a bit. As for Anchor Shot, it would make more sense for it to be his grab. Sword characters with a tether grab are rare, in fact, i think only the Links have that. His Down-Special to me, would be swapping between Pyra and Mythra. This changes his elemental attacks and his Neutral-B. I see his Neutral-Special being Pyra/Mytha's Lv.1 Special respectively. With Pyra, it's an AoE fire blast whereas with Mythra, it's a long-range light beam.

Like you though, i can't think what his Up-Special would be at all though. Although
His Up-Special could be him being carried up by Roc. Roc is Vandham's Blade but Vandham, kinda, uh, kicks the bucket.
And i just realized, if Rex does get into Smash, then Smash would spoil literally everything from 2, won't it.

heres a qusetion for yas, purely assthetic would you like rex to carry gramps(arzuda) in his helemt in smash?

personally id like it
I think that's a given tbh. Azurda is seen in Rex's helmet like 95% of the time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
His Up-Special could be him being carried up by Roc. Roc is Vandham's Blade but Vandham, kinda, uh, kicks the bucket.
that broke my heart, i really those two (well four) meet an unpleasent end

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Ok. Before, i said Rex's Final Smash should be the Lv.4 Specials. But now
His final Smash should be activating Pyra/Mythra's Ascended Mode.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

personally id like it
That would be a cool touch. Imagine the potential victory animations with him and Pyra.

And yeah, Smash would give zero ****s about spoilers if they were to give Rex his moveset. Take Corrin and Shulk for example Armagon Armagon .

May I remind you of how they handled Jade Face and Fiora?

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Quoting myself because it's important. You don't have to open it now but be sure to do so when you reach Ch.8.
So something happened in Xenoblade 2 Ch.8 and it's rather important. I won't go into too much spoilers but the advice itself is a spoiler but if you're a completionist or just hate missables, you'll want it.
Indol is basically Alcamoth/Mechonis in which it becomes inaccessible after a certain point and any quests there are lost forever. So do everything you can there first before continuing on with Ch.8. Dev points, shops and Merc Missions transfer to Lefthiria though.
And here i was thinking they got rid of timed quests.

Last edited:

fufubear

Smash Rookie
I created an account just for this discussion. Spoilers contain near end game spoilers.

I was actually thinking that selecting Pyra or Mythra would just be a simple pallet and name swap (either Rex and Pyra or Rex and Mythra). Its not entirely realistic but there are a lot of abilities that I wouldn't want to leave out.

Specials
His standard special would be the fire he can shoot for his sword (or with Mythra you could make it a wave of light similar to clouds standard special (not really realistic but oh well)). He does it a lot in cut scenes so why not?

Side special could be sword bash or you can make it a smash attack (i recommend the former or else it will be just like shulks smash)

Down special would be foresight. Yeah it's another counter but it's a pretty important ability both in gameplay and cutscenes so you can't leave it out.

Up special I'm not sure entirely could possibly be rolling smash but boost its height a bit and it will basically work like Ike's Ether

Smash
Side smash I see as double spinning edge. From the first time i saw that move it said side smash to me.

Up smash possibly a blade special like ray of light (Idea would be to involve the blades somehow so they don't look useless because they really aren't)?

Down smash Ditto with up smash.

With those specials I would say its best to alternate between Pyra and Mythra so they both get equal representation (despite Mythra being much better canonically and gameplay wise).

Grapple
Tether grab with anchor of course.

Not sure what you would do with his other grab animations

Final Smash
Would be him changing to master driver and getting to use Pneuma (they could also just have him call them either Pyra or Mythra since that's what he actually does). They could make it a simple transformation where he gets to move super fast (he was matching Jin who can move at light speed so I'd say hes pretty quick) and has increased damage. If this is chosen the blade should call out the other one (say something like "Me and x are together as one") and Rex should say "I could get used to this" or "The answer is obvious".
or
They could make it a giant chain attack that involves every party member in the game with their primary blade (Nia/Drommarch, Tora/poppi A, Morag/Brighid, and Zeke/Pandoria) and finished off with a particle accelerator shot from Siren (my choice as i have another potential idea for Master Driver/Pneuma)

Misc.
Have Rex's shield animation be his blade jumping in and giving him a shield since that's how it works in the cut scenes.

Maybe give him a party guage like Clouds limit that once its charged he automatically turns into Master Driver with Pneuma as the blade? It would boost his speed and damage output but not too much to keep him balanced. It's also timed and it shouldn't last too long. I don't think it should really change the animations (and hit boxes) of the specials or else it might make him too strong (despite the specials all being big aoe attacks in game). The idea with this is to have it similar but different to Clouds ability. The voices would be the same as the final smash idea.

Gramps will be in his helmet

His entry animation could possible be him and his blade being dropped by Poppi? Its happened in the game before.

Idle animations should be taken directly from the game (Pyra playing with fire, Mythra squatting, etc)

Taunts can be the trash talk they give at the end of a battler (IE: "That was too easy" - Rex, "I could take you all on myself" - slight modification of what Nia says, "heh heh easy peasy" - Rex, Don't Forget me/Think you can take me?" - Those Ardanian soldiers (too big of a meme not to cash in on it tbh))

Victory quotes can be a mix of the trash talk at the end of a fight along with some other quotes from the game (IE: "With you by my side X I can accomplish anything - Rex when taking a sidequest, "Go on, Praise us some more" - Rex after a battle, "We were amazing" - Rex after a battle)

Rex should have the core crystal in his chest and sport his regular salvager gear.

Part 2
Potentially you could have a blade switching ability instead of making it a pallet and if that's done then it would only change a couple things.

Specials
Standard special for Pyra would be the same but for Mythra would be foresight. Idea here is because Mythra is the blade that's better for attacking canonically due to foresight and in the game he never uses a ranged attack with Mythra while he likes to spam fire at people with Pyra.

Down special would be for the switch.

His other specials would stay the same since they are driver arts.

Smash attacks
The up and down smash would have to be the blade specials of course. With Pyra they would be more zoning type moves like the Blazing edge that will hit all around as a down special and up special could be Prominence revolt?

With Mythra the down smash could be the second level special that only attacks in front and her up smash could be ray of light that only attacks up (its a beam from the sword so it actually works perfectly).

Grapple
Stays the same

Final Smash
Stays the same

Character differences
The idea here is to push the idea that Mythra suits aggressive play much better while Pyra is for more defensive moments because it is mentioned in game that Pyra only has a fraction of Mythra's strength so their play styles would reflect that. With that said I would actually say they should have about the same damage output if not giving Pyra more damage but higher cool down animations and slightly slower startup animations. This way the strength of Mythra would just be that she is much better at being aggressive.

Stages
Perhaps the top of the world tree? It would be a very good stage but is extremely spoiler heavy
Gormott?
Mor Ardain?
Urayan stomach (the background visuals would simply be amazing)

Tracks
Really any battle theme works imo
Final boss Aion's theme
Zeke's theme
Urayan theme (the song that plays outside of the towns)
Spirit Crucible Elpys
Tantal
Temperantia

Other Potential Characters
Jin?
Jin is a pretty cool character imo and making him a quick sword fighter would be interesting since thats not too common iirc.

And thats my Wall-O-Text

This is still WIP so I might edit it later down the line.
V1.1 - added stages and tracks and refined a couple sections
V1.2 - added Other Potential Characters
V1.3 - added more content to Misc category

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I've finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I loved it. And I think I support Rex now, certainly wouldn't be apposed to it anyway.

Finishing it has left me with the desire for the cast of the first game to meet the cast of this game, and I just want more Morag, she might be my favourite Xenoblade character. She was really awesome I thought. She could make a cool assist trophy maybe.

Riki and Tora
Nia and Sharla
Morag and Dunban
Reyn and Zeke
Rex and Shulk
Melia and Gramps
Fiora and Pyra

The two games had a very strong cast of characters.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I got Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and as of now I'm in chapter 5 and so far I love the game including the multitude of cliche anime moments, design choices, character types and so on; it takes me back to a simpler time. It surprised me when I heard the game gets a lot of hate for following the anime cliches that I found small pleasures in.

I now support Rex and would see a move set for him some how working Driver Arts and Blade Specials into it. The Blade would follow Rex around the stage and if they are closer to him they'll tether and boost certain stats along with adding new elements to his attacks depending on the Blade. Up, Side and Down specials or Smash Attacks (haven't decided which would be better, probably the smash attacks since mapping down special for blade switch makes the most sense.) would be the Driver Arts. Neutral B would be reserved for Blade Specials. A number would appear in a corner of the character's Avatar letting you know what special you're at (since we don't want to be too annoying with it let's make the build up for these specials take a while).

As for a FInal Smash it'd be a lvl 4 Blade Combo that changes depending on what Blade is with Rex upon activation.

As for what Blades Rex would have it would be just the Blades he gets in the story, special Blades used by his party members or iconic ones. The ones that definitely would be part of the group would be Pyra,
Mythra
Roc
and whatever other Blades he gets that I just haven't seen yet.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If they want to fill in that third slot for Rex in Smash and really want to spoil the game, they could always use
Nia, along with Pyra and Roc, is the other blade that is necessary for Rex to get.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im on chapter 6 now and im enjoying the story

i bit worried nia is gonna leave the team cause it looks like she secretly a blade that matches one of the silhouettes in the blade album, so it would be disappointing to lose her unless it something like shes two separate entities that some how split apart so shes both a blade and a team mate

i am tempted to spoil it for myself just to know one way or the other, but nobody tell me anyway

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I can see Rex screaming "I like your attitude" for one of his taunts.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Hey guys, I actually created a youtube video on my channel, talking about the moveset potential for Rex in Smash. I mentioned this thread too because some credit goes to "Armagon" from the first page, for some of the ideas. Let me know what you all think! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPn0DifkeO0
That was a pretty good video and thanks for the mention. There are two things i want to correct you on though. You mentioned that for his Side-B, if he had Pyra, it would be Heat whereas with Mythra, it would be Photon. Those aren't actually the names of the attacks. They're just the names of the first stage of a Blade combo. The names you were looking for were Flame Nova (for Pyra) and Ray of Punishment (for Mythra).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well just finished chapter 7 havent started chapter 8 yet

im going to assume pyra/mythra's ascended form was the final smash suggestion in those spoiler boxes which i would love its awesome

Top Bottom