• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I do wish they'd stop making a mockery out of Mario in these things. Though, if is Rex, I doubt they'll have him split Dharkon in two.
i would have said sepiroths trailer was the opposite of heros so i think that idea has been done anyway

Last edited:

Blabacon

Smash Rookie
So I've got 2 ideas for the cinematic. and they are basically cutscenes from the game, but instead of finding _____ Rex finds a smash letter instead
1: the very beginning of the game, when he salvages the crate with the crab monster (never can remember the enemy names)
2: when he finds Pyra and her sword

Blabacon

Smash Rookie
So I know it's not what you (or I) are hoping for in the long run, but I found a mod on GameBanana that puts Rex over Shulk. It's actually pretty neat.
I thought I'd let people know, in case you guys are into this kind of thing.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
pulls out megaphone

Alright, everyone, listen up! A user named R RetrogamerMax has requested an explaination on why Rex is still likely! He thinks the only reason is because of his popularity, but if possible, I would like us to explain to him why that's not the only thing. Bring out... THE LIST!!!!!

(P.S. sorry for @-ing you, figured it would get you notified).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
pulls out megaphone

Alright, everyone, listen up! A user named R RetrogamerMax has requested an explaination on why Rex is still likely! He thinks the only reason is because of his popularity, but if possible, I would like us to explain to him why that's not the only thing. Bring out... THE LIST!!!!!

(P.S. sorry for @-ing you, figured it would get you notified).
So do you know the list or have the list in your favorites? Because I have my potential evidence for Elma right here:

So with the rumor about Hero, Sephiroth, and Steve being planned all the way back since base game right here:

And Elma's actress talking about a secret project she couldn't discuss around the same time that leak up above popped up on the Internet on 5chan, the timeline adds up if they were also planning to add another Xenoblade rep all the way back then.

What is that? Xenoblade X music is missing from the game?! And what is that? Byleth, Min Min, and Sephiroth brought MIA content from their series with them in their Challenger Packs?!

No. I remember Bill Trinen said it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So do you know the list or have the list in your favorites? Because I have my potential evidence for Elma right here:
Okay, to be honest, I don't have "The List" on me, so for now I'll just post the things in Rex's favor:

• Popularity. I know you already mentioned that, but the harsh reality is, it's true. Especially in Japan, where apparently they were legit upset by his Mii Costume despite being generally accepting of deconfirms (though I don't have a source on that last bit, so don't quote me).
  • Unlike the rest of the Mii Costumes, Rex's is in a... unique position. While it's technically DLC, it was released alongside the main game, and was a bonus for buying FP1. Obviously, it did deconfirm him then, but not anymore.
  • While it does have more content than X, XC2 is still SORELY lacking. Only three music tracks (none of which are remixes), not even all the main characters as Spirits, you can see that they can still add plenty of additional content.
  • Sakurai went on record saying that, had things been different with Ultimate, he would've added Rex and an ARMS rep. Then we got an ARMS rep. While that wouldn't mean much on its own, we later found out Steve was in negotiations for five years, and there are rumors that Sephiroth was planned for base game, but got made DLC, though that one's just a rumor. This could be a trend with FP2.
  • Despite being three years old at this point, XC2 is STILL getting promoted, especially after XCDE got released. That means it's still relevant to Nintendo despite its age, kinda like MK8D. And it just so happens Nintendo are the ones picking the DLC...

Now I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few things, but this is what I remembered off the top of my head. I don't expect you to agree with everything, but I hope this gives you a better idea of why we think Rex still has a good shot.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Okay, to be honest, I don't have "The List" on me, so for now I'll just post the things in Rex's favor:

• Popularity. I know you already mentioned that, but the harsh reality is, it's true. Especially in Japan, where apparently they were legit upset by his Mii Costume despite being generally accepting of deconfirms (though I don't have a source on that last bit, so don't quote me).
  • Unlike the rest of the Mii Costumes, Rex's is in a... unique position. While it's technically DLC, it was released alongside the main game, and was a bonus for buying FP1. Obviously, it did deconfirm him then, but not anymore.
  • While it does have more content than X, XC2 is still SORELY lacking. Only three music tracks (none of which are remixes), not even all the main characters as Spirits, you can see that they can still add plenty of additional content.
  • Sakurai went on record saying that, had things been different with Ultimate, he would've added Rex and an ARMS rep. Then we got an ARMS rep. While that wouldn't mean much on its own, we later found out Steve was in negotiations for five years, and there are rumors that Sephiroth was planned for base game, but got made DLC, though that one's just a rumor. This could be a trend with FP2.
  • Despite being three years old at this point, XC2 is STILL getting promoted, especially after XCDE got released. That means it's still relevant to Nintendo despite its age, kinda like MK8D. And it just so happens Nintendo are the ones picking the DLC...

Now I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few things, but this is what I remembered off the top of my head. I don't expect you to agree with everything, but I hope this gives you a better idea of why we think Rex still has a good shot.
Despite Rex's popularity, I think Elma has more going in her favor as I listed above. Plus there's no Xenoblade X music in the game unlike Xenoblade 2 which has 3 tracks which gives 2 less ground in that department.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Your arguments seem lacking. Because X has less content you assume it's more likely to get in. Let's just get this out there, how many or few tracks it has almost certainly doesn't actually matter. There's still plenty to pull plus remixes. That's kind of a moot point. Min Min proved that spirits can be reused for the packs too, so preexisting ones shouldn't really affect it.

Also, if Elma was going to be in it...why isn't she? Surely wasn't licensing issues. Moveset likely wouldn't be that complex. If she was late, why was a plant prioritized? Why wasn't she in pass one? Unlike Rex, she doesn't have the timing excuse as her game was well out in time. Rex's likeliness aside, Elma seems highly unlikely as she had her chance...and nothing. She also kind of lacks the fan backing to push her back into the spotlight. In regards to the series as a whole, Rex also seems more likely as Elma as it stands is just kind of a weird, experimental spin off. Plus, don't forget how much they love their hype. Either one may only appeal to smaller audiences, but Rex would appeal to more.

Are either likely? At this point I don't know, but if we're getting one, it's probably going to be Rex.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Despite Rex's popularity, I think Elma has more going in her favor as I listed above. Plus there's no Xenoblade X music in the game unlike Xenoblade 2 which has 3 tracks which gives 2 less ground in that department.
you mean your list full of stretching?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Your arguments seem lacking. Because X has less content you assume it's more likely to get in. Let's just get this out there, how many or few tracks it has almost certainly doesn't actually matter. There's still plenty to pull plus remixes. That's kind of a moot point. Min Min proved that spirits can be reused for the packs too, so preexisting ones shouldn't really affect it.

Also, if Elma was going to be in it...why isn't she? Surely wasn't licensing issues. Moveset likely wouldn't be that complex. If she was late, why was a plant prioritized? Why wasn't she in pass one? Unlike Rex, she doesn't have the timing excuse as her game was well out in time. Rex's likeliness aside, Elma seems highly unlikely as she had her chance...and nothing. She also kind of lacks the fan backing to push her back into the spotlight. In regards to the series as a whole, Rex also seems more likely as Elma as it stands is just kind of a weird, experimental spin off. Plus, don't forget how much they love their hype. Either one may only appeal to smaller audiences, but Rex would appeal to more.

Are either likely? At this point I don't know, but if we're getting one, it's probably going to be Rex.
I raise your Min Min a Sephiroth. Who seemingly got in to rectify the lack of Final Fantasy content
The difference between Rex and Min Min is that, while Min Min did reuse Spirits for her board, there were only a couple Arms characters in the game already and no music. Xenoblade 2 has it's entire playable cast has Spirits and 2 tracks already. I don't think it's a massive thing, and I agree that we're almost certainly not getting Elma, but Rex and Min Min are hardly the same case.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I raise your Min Min a Sephiroth. Who seemingly got in to rectify the lack of Final Fantasy content
no he got in because SE love the dynamic between him and cloud and because hes one of the most famous video game villains of all. characters do not get in to fix representation

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Another thing. Regarding 'Why isn't Elma in already?', I have an answer.
It's the same answer I use when someone asks why Waluigi isn't in: "Instead of who?".
The number of new characters was limited for base game and honestly I don't really think Nintendo would ever consider adding Elma instead of any of them.

Also Fogbadge, I don't really know about that. I have a hard time believing that it's a coincidence that the only 3rd Party franchise to get a second unique character also being the only 3rd Party franchise to not have any spirits and barely any music,.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
It's the same answer I use when someone asks why Waluigi isn't in: "Instead of who?".
The number of new characters was limited for base game and honestly I don't really think Nintendo would ever consider adding Elma instead of any of them.

Also Fogbadge, I don't really know about that. I have a hard time believing that it's a coincidence that the only 3rd Party franchise to get a second unique character also being the only 3rd Party franchise to not have any spirits and barely any music,.
Instead of who? Instead of a potted plant. Limited time and resources and that took priority.

As for FFVII, XCX has no Square Enix or whatever baggage FFVII may have had to get in the way in the base game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Did you see what I listed up above with my theory along with Calamitas Calamitas list of piled evidence for Elma? Yes Calamitas' not Senatiator Senatiator 's as he originally made this list. It has a lot more than just X music from the game.

you mean your list full of stretching?
No.

The difference between Rex and Min Min is that, while Min Min did reuse Spirits for her board, there were only a couple Arms characters in the game already and no music. Xenoblade 2 has it's entire playable cast has Spirits and 2 tracks already. I don't think it's a massive thing, and I agree that we're almost certainly not getting Elma, but Rex and Min Min are hardly the same case.

You guys are proving my point about y'all thinking Rex will get in over Elma and that there can't be any other Xenoblade rep but Rex. I would be fine with either, but I just think Elma is more likely. If it's Rex I'm wrong and I'll be more than okay with that. But I wish you guys would be acceptable to the possibility of Elma.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You guys are proving my point about y'all thinking Rex will get in over Elma and that there can't be any other Xenoblade rep but Rex. I would be fine with either, but I just think Elma is more likely. If it's Rex I'm wrong and I'll be more than okay with that. But I wish you guys would be acceptable to the possibility of Elma.
its got nothing to do with accepting elma as a possibility and everything to do with you evidence which from what im reading is largely music which is bogus and "signs" which have never meant anything ever

I.D.

Smash Lord
I am accepting of Elma. God knows I'd be happy with any Monolith character. But I genuinely don't think she's likely. She loses in recency to XB2. She loses in popularity to XB2. Even setting games aside and focusing on the individual character alone, she isn't the most popular. Her best arguments are apophenic in nature and try to find meaning where there is likely none (like spirits). Even if you imagine an ARMS-like "developer gets to choose" scenario, that doesn't particularly favor her either. In my mind the best case scenario for her requires two unlikely things to happen:
1. Monolith's new game is directly connected to X
2. Monolith's new game is releasing imminently, before Smash DLC ends, and Nintendo wants to push it hard

If I'm wrong, whatever. It's how I feel.

scaPEGoat ~

Smash Cadet
I would like to share my opinion with everyone

I support the entry of Rex, but so much time has passed, especially with the latest Sephiroth

Sakurai practically deconfirmed when celebrating Xenoblade 2's birthday before Sephiroth's announcement.

Never had any posts related to the character before it was revealed.

This is my theory. Rex is 100% deconfirmed and almost certain that there will be no Monolith Soft DLC in Smash Bros. Ultimate

sorry
pain

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
That theory is pretty weak. That's the thing, most of these theories are just that. There is no basis for any of it really. But there is still almost zero reason to pick Elma over Rex at this point. That's just how it is. They skipped over her. That's just how it is. Why try and convince yourself they'll pass up the more popular and relevant option to go pick her?

scaPEGoat ~

Smash Cadet
It was the month of Xenoblade 2's birthday and the last chance was gone

i'm sorry i hope i'm wrong more for me

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Character reveals are rarely, if ever, tied into anniversaries, I think the only exceptions are Little Mac being announced on the same day as Punch-Out!! Wii's anniversary, and maybe Sephiroth being announced on the anniversary of the original Final Fantasy game.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Instead of who? Instead of a potted plant. Limited time and resources and that took priority.

As for FFVII, XCX has no Square Enix or whatever baggage FFVII may have had to get in the way in the base game.
The early purchase bonus really needed to be more recognisable than Elma.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The early purchase bonus really needed to be more recognisable than Elma.
So the crux of your argument becomes a plant was more recognizable? Well, either way, not sure it holds up that well as Plant very much seemed to be in production as a base fighter and just got pushed back. So, probably not intended as a bonus at all. In that case then, why were they working on a plant over Elma? If they wanted her in the game, she could have been there.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
So the crux of your argument becomes a plant was more recognizable? Well, either way, not sure it holds up that well as Plant very much seemed to be in production as a base fighter and just got pushed back. So, probably not intended as a bonus at all. In that case then, why were they working on a plant over Elma? If they wanted her in the game, she could have been there.
Elma just wouldn't make sense as a early purchase bonus, as much as I love Xenoblade, no one actually cares enough about the franchise for that to be an effective marketing strategy.
What I'm doing is taking the argument: '__[in this case Elma, although it's usually Waluigi] should have been in the base game' and turning it's own logic against itself to prove that it doesn't really make any sense, in reality, you're probably right and Elma was never actually in consideration in the first place, but if you want to win an argument on the internet, you have to use the facts the opposition is presenting against them. Especially in Smash, because speculation theories tend to spontaneously combust under the slightest scrutiny.

Also, this is a really dumb argument

Arthur97

Smash Master
Elma just wouldn't make sense as a early purchase bonus, as much as I love Xenoblade, no one actually cares enough about the franchise for that to be an effective marketing strategy.
What I'm doing is taking the argument: '__[in this case Elma, although it's usually Waluigi] should have been in the base game' and turning it's own logic against itself to prove that it doesn't really make any sense, in reality, you're probably right and Elma was never actually in consideration in the first place, but if you want to win an argument on the internet, you have to use the facts the opposition is presenting against them. Especially in Smash, because speculation theories tend to spontaneously combust under the slightest scrutiny.
Well of course it's not rock solid. Without actual inside information it can't be. But logically, if they were going to put Elma, they had every opportunity to do it in the base game or shortly thereafter. There is absolutely no evidence Elma was ever planned. Rex at the very least has public interest, not to mention the added perk of Pyra and Mythra to sweeten the deal. Not necessarily, required, but it can help. Just ask Ridley.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Elma got beat out by Corrin, wasn't in base game and we got Byleth instead of Rex. Not to mention Xenoblade's musical representation is actually quite awful.
well there’s nothing to say Corrin and Byleth were chosen instead of. We don’t even know they were in consideration which would reinforce your position. Although bare in mind arms was snubbed for FP1 as well

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
well there’s nothing to say Corrin and Byleth were chosen instead of. We don’t even know they were in consideration which would reinforce your position. Although bare in mind arms was snubbed for FP1 as well
We don't know that there was ever a deliberation between them, but you can't deny they fill the same niche. So my position doesn't really need reinforcing. My point is, when given the choice between Xenoblade or something else, they choose something else every time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We don't know that there was ever a deliberation between them, but you can't deny they fill the same niche. So my position doesn't really need reinforcing. My point is, when given the choice between Xenoblade or something else, they choose something else every time.
i dont think turn based strategies and jrpgs do fill the same niche, even then in the last pass we got two rpg characters in a row so that would disprove that idea there. and you could say given the choice he chose not to do a lot of things.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
i dont think turn based strategies and jrpgs do fill the same niche, even then in the last pass we got two rpg characters in a row so that would disprove that idea there. and you could say given the choice he chose not to do a lot of things.
Recent 1st party characters

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Lemme let you in on a little tip; support fueled by resentment and self-victimizing doesn't do much to attract other genuine supporters.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
i see. theres not really anything that says we can only have one
No, but we did only get one.
Lemme let you in on a little tip; support fueled by resentment and self-victimizing doesn't do much to attract other genuine supporters.
It's not really that, it's definately justified. When you consider the scale of Xenoblade games along with the relatively short development times and somewhat low sales numbers, I'm mostly just grateful the series still exists.
I do wish we got some better music though.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, but we did only get one.

It's not really that, it's definately justified. When you consider the scale of Xenoblade games along with the relatively short development times and somewhat low sales numbers, I'm mostly just grateful the series still exists.
I do wish we got some better music though.
well can’t fault you for pessimism I do it all the time

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Rex is the last fighter because if any of those spots are an exception to the "Nintendo chose the fighters and not Sakurai" rule it'd be the "extra" one at the end.

Top Bottom