• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
So I'm not extremely familiar with the mechanics of XC2, but is blade switching a major thing or would just the Blade + Driver combo be "gimmicky" enough by itself for Smash?

I've been wondering if a scenario like Rex & Pyra and Rex & Mythra being alts is possible (four color options for both). I know their skills are different but if there's a way to somehow make them close enough to each other with just different aesthetics (fire & light), I wonder if the alt route is possible. Source material is important but as seen with Shulk, some liberties can be taken.
Honestly, not really. If you look at the top player builds, a lot of them require very little blade switching at all. A lot of people make Rex and Pyra Pokemon Trainer 2.0, but it's not a particularly accurate depiction of Xenoblade 2s combat.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Lucas' Brawl trophy description spoils the entire Mother 3 plot despite that game not even being 2 years old at the time. I seriously doubt Sakurai cares about spoilers that much to the point where it'd affect character development.

If he wants to add Mythra, Roc, or even blade Nia to Rex's arsenal then I don't think spoilers of all things will stop him.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Honestly, not really. If you look at the top player builds, a lot of them require very little blade switching at all. A lot of people make Rex and Pyra Pokemon Trainer 2.0, but it's not a particularly accurate depiction of Xenoblade 2s combat.
Hyper optimized endgame builds for superbosses and challenges isn't an accurate representation.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hyper optimized endgame builds for superbosses and challenges isn't an accurate representation.
How about those cutscenes conspicuously lacking any blades beyond the protagonist's signatures?

More seriously, Smash just doesn't seem a good fit for mechanics that usually require Blade switching. Blade combos are too time-consuming, there are no elemental weaknesses to speak of nor aggro to manage, and fighters are notoriously allergic to having reliable healing moves.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
How about those cutscenes conspicuously lacking any blades beyond the protagonist's signatures?

More seriously, Smash just doesn't seem a good fit for mechanics that usually require Blade switching. Blade combos are too time-consuming, there are no elemental weaknesses to speak of nor aggro to manage, and fighters are notoriously allergic to having reliable healing moves.
Monado arts weren't a good fit for smash so Sakurai reimagined them as auras. He didn't say "**** it the monado doesn't fit smash, have shulk fight with his scrap sword"

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
My point was that switching blades isn't really that important to what makes Xenoblade 2, Xenoblade 2. I personally think that a positioning based moveset with affinity is the better representation of what Xenoblade 2 is about, that and Blade Switching would be way too complicated if both were in the same moveset, and Blade switching isn't really that important.
Also, making 3 (or 4) movesets for one character is probably too much work for one DLC fighter.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Monado arts weren't a good fit for smash so Sakurai reimagined them as auras. He didn't say "**** it the monado doesn't fit smash, have shulk fight with his scrap sword"
Actually auras are a pretty apt description of the stat-boosting kind. All that needed to be done was a little tweaking, and some creative liberties with new versions that aren't all that out there if you think back to "the Monado bends to your will". New powers in the original tend to come when Shulk really wants something in the moment, so who is to say in Smash he wouldn't run into situations where he wants to jump higher or knock people away better?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Even if Shield acts more like Armour. Yes, I know it's an optional one and Shield is probably better known to fans, but they still pretty much just changed Armour's name. Speed is about right. Buster is the really strange one, but they mostly just used the name for the opposite of Smash. Overall, it's not a particularly egregious adaptation. Speed and Armour (which Shield acts like) were status effects along with Enchant which isn't in Smash but may have made for a better damage art but it may not have stood out enough. So, making the arts status effects isn't really that much of a liberty.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Even if Shield acts more like Armour. Yes, I know it's an optional one and Shield is probably better known to fans, but they still pretty much just changed Armour's name. Speed is about right. Buster is the really strange one, but they mostly just used the name for the opposite of Smash. Overall, it's not a particularly egregious adaptation. Speed and Armour (which Shield acts like) were status effects along with Enchant which isn't in Smash but may have made for a better damage art but it may not have stood out enough. So, making the arts status effects isn't really that much of a liberty.
The thing about Shield is that, well, in Smash it's something everyone can kinda do on their own. Though in roundabout way, the art can kind of fulfill it's original purpose in blocking otherwise unblockable moves via reduced shield damage.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, I...guess it can kind of do it. Might have been cool if it made an actual shield around him though, but that could step on the actual shield's toes and be more work, so I get it. Would be cool if they did more unique shields though. Yoshi still stands alone.

And that tweet got me. Egg on my face.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
My contribution for XC2's 3rd anniversary (late-game spoilers):

2020112504062800-659B13F48903294AE2B3FA4F12DA9898.jpg

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Spotted this piece of fan-art just now. Spoiler for chapter... Seven or eight?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Arthur97

Smash Master
Welp, new fighter reveal, but I highly doubt it's Rex. Probably the only way it is is if it was the other reveal intended for E3. Even then the odds are meh I'd say.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Don't think Rex and Pyra would be announced at TGA, it feels more like the place for a third party reveal. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though :p

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, Seph is a victory in that it could have been much worse. Still, a series as historied as FF and they put two from the same game. Kinda lame. Also, what happened to too many swords, Sakurai? And updating Cloud's FS. If only they showed this much love to their own IPs.

D

Deleted member

So there are apparently some Japanese rumors that Sephiroth and other FF content were intended for FP1 as a kind of ransom by Square for getting Cloud to return in Ultimate? Kind of weird but if true that would mean there’s an argument for all 3 FP2 characters so far to have been characters that were left out for one reason or another from the base game or FP1, which could bode well for Rex. Highly conspiratorial but a lineup like Monster Hunter, Hayabusa, and Rex isn’t too far fetched to close things out and would follow this leftover theory.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
So there are apparently some Japanese rumors that Sephiroth and other FF content were intended for FP1 as a kind of ransom by Square for getting Cloud to return in Ultimate? Kind of weird but if true that would mean there’s an argument for all 3 FP2 characters so far to have been characters that were left out for one reason or another from the base game or FP1, which could bode well for Rex. Highly conspiratorial but a lineup like Monster Hunter, Hayabusa, and Rex isn’t too far fetched to close things out and would follow this leftover theory.
That would be an ideal final three imo, I love MH and Xeno 2 and have respect for the Gaiden series.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Wouldn't that actually bode poorly for Rex as the costume seems to indicate he wasn't intended.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I hope Sephiroth is the character they use for Jin's spirit battle (assuming Rex is in and I think he has a good shot).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wouldn't that actually bode poorly for Rex as the costume seems to indicate he wasn't intended.
well there in lies the thing. people think rex was meant to be in the base game but all sakurai really said was it was too late to add him. he never really said onw way or the other. but the same was also true in regards to arms

Arthur97

Smash Master
well there in lies the thing. people think rex was meant to be in the base game but all sakurai really said was it was too late to add him. he never really said onw way or the other. but the same was also true in regards to arms
I thought he actually did comment when talking about the Spring Man assist? Could be wrong though. Either way, it seems unlikely Rex was intended for round one. Given Nintendo's...priorities, he very well may not be intended for two. As for why they'd pick ARMS over Xenoblade at this point...I'm not quite sure. Especially with more seemingly wanting Rex.

Yeah, as good of a fit as Seph would be (I mean, he may have even been the influence for his design), probably not happening....that said I won't say it couldn't The updates add the fighter to the game, the DLC just activates them for you to use. Otherwise you couldn't fight them online, so it's possible they could use them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
DLC characters don't show up outside of their boards. Some people don't buy all characters after all.
some spirit battles do change with dlc.

I thought he actually did comment when talking about the Spring Man assist? Could be wrong though. Either way, it seems unlikely Rex was intended for round one. Given Nintendo's...priorities, he very well may not be intended for two. As for why they'd pick ARMS over Xenoblade at this point...I'm not quite sure. Especially with more seemingly wanting Rex.
well theres the thing we dont know enough about the selection process to think they did. surely odds are nintendo have been suggesting characters from all their big games

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
... As for why they'd pick ARMS over Xenoblade at this point...I'm not quite sure. Especially with more seemingly wanting Rex.
Could be a decision from nintendo. Or Sakurai thought that the unique concept of arms would provide an unique character with an really unique gamestyle. Which turned out to be true. Althought we got quite a lot of "distance demons" lately.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I've heard that Ultimate's roster was finalized in... I wanna say 2015, but it might have been 2016. Either year would have been too early to add Rex. Adding a Mii costume, though, takes far less work so they were able to do that. I think the Mii costume bears very little weight right now; it was a sign that Rex probably wasn't going to make it into FP1, but FP2 is a different ballgame. Additionally, Min Min has proven that it doesn't matter much if content relating to a character was added early on - FP2 is a chance to reconsider characters who missed the boat the first time around. At current, I'd say only content that got added shortly before/during FP2 is a sign that we're probably not going to see that character. Since ARMS was back on the table, Rex likely is. It also seems like they're going for characters they wanted to add but couldn't until now, which bodes well for Rex. But take that with a grain of salt, because it's just a guess and the pattern could end up not holding up.

D

Deleted member

How do y’all think a Rex trailer would go? I could see something like him salvaging a Smash invitation, but if it went that route I’d rather have a spoof on the cutscene where he becomes Pyra’s driver. Like he walks down the corridor and marvels at the envelope, only for Malos to yell, “Don’t touch that!”, which would be hilarious given the implication of Malos & his chad energy being the intended recipient.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
How do y’all think a Rex trailer would go? I could see something like him salvaging a Smash invitation, but if it went that route I’d rather have a spoof on the cutscene where he becomes Pyra’s driver. Like he walks down the corridor and marvels at the envelope, only for Malos to yell, “Don’t touch that!”, which would be hilarious given the implication of Malos & his chad energy being the intended recipient.
what about something like where he and pyra burst through the floor like at the beginning of the game?

i think wed all agree half way through we see pyra turn into mythra

Top Bottom