• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
But...that's most of what they do in game? Helping out with a few moves and otherwise not fighting would be a faithful recreation of what they did in battle. So if anything isn't that more likely now?
That depends if they go with the Min Min/Steve Approach and try to recreate XC2 Gameplay as close as possible or if they orientate more to the Joker Approach where the Feeling of the Character is focussed on (meaning: they fight like in the XC2 Cutscenes). Because in the Custscenes Pyra does a lot.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I have a really stupid Smash theory, that may back up Rex a bit; but maybe I'm overthinking things quite a bit. It's probably been brought up here before, but I don't usually go on here often.

So there are friend icons in things like Arena right? Most of these icons got added in the base game, however each DLC fighter gets their own icon added when they get released. There has been no fighter released, that already had an icon in base game. Though granted the likelihood of them having an icon originally was low anyways (with the exception of Min Min, who also lacked an icon; but I think only the Spring Man render for the AT got one for ARMS). If we go through the list, every fighter, every AT, and a notable list of "exceptions" form the icons.

You'll see characters like Bandana Dee, Geno, Dixie Kong, Shantae characters that people WANT in the game as some of these "exceptions" right (though there are a lot of filler characters in there too). But if you scroll down to the Xenoblade section, it's missing Rex. Sure it's also missing Elma, Melia, and the like; but the important thing to note is that it HAS both Pyra and Mythra but no Rex in it. Rex is obviously a character that Sakurai has wanted, and he even got a bonus costume added right towards the end.

So what if the reason there is no Rex in the icons, is because they left it open for a potential season 2? They could then add Rex and use his render as the icon?

Again take this with a huge grain of salt, but I just feel like it's too odd to just be a coincidence (especially with Pyra and Mythra there). The entire thing started out as a really stupid idea, but maybe there's a chance that this backs him up a bit.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Yeah, that's something I've thought about as well. By Sakurai's own admission the Rex Mii costume is intended to delude the player into thinking they're playing as a cut fighter ("I hope this outfit will help you feel like you're playing as Rex."), yet in profile icon representation he falls beneath that of Camilla and the Absolutely Safe Capsule.

Maybe Sakurai thought no one would use it due to the fact that Rex's main official art isn't his most flattering portrayal.

Arthur97

Smash Master
That depends if they go with the Min Min/Steve Approach and try to recreate XC2 Gameplay as close as possible or if they orientate more to the Joker Approach where the Feeling of the Character is focussed on (meaning: they fight like in the XC2 Cutscenes). Because in the Custscenes Pyra does a lot.
Fair (though how much they do varies with the cutscene with the exception of the ship they still aren't very active) but the argument that these mean that they shouldn't be in the background is backwards.
Yeah, that's something I've thought about as well. By Sakurai's own admission the Rex Mii costume is intended to delude the player into thinking they're playing as a cut fighter ("I hope this outfit will help you feel like you're playing as Rex."), yet in profile icon representation he falls beneath that of Camilla and the Absolutely Safe Capsule.

Maybe Sakurai thought no one would use it due to the fact that Rex's main official art isn't his most flattering portrayal.
Has a Mii costume ever achieved that? Especially given the context.

Still, I think you give Sakurai too much credit. I doubt he went through and individually approved every icon. Especially when a separate team apparently did the spirits. For all we know, whoever was in charge of these things just didn't know he was actually the main character. Or thought no one would care about him over Pyra and Mythra.

I.D.

Smash Lord
For all we know, whoever was in charge of these things just didn't know he was actually the main character. Or thought no one would care about him over Pyra and Mythra.
Man, I'm not saying player icons mean anything but these are some lame excuses. Not flattering? There's a pixel telephone as an icon. And how does one miss the main character of the game?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Man, I'm not saying player icons mean anything but these are some lame excuses. Not flattering? There's a pixel telephone as an icon. And how does one miss the main character of the game?
By not playing it or knowing anything about it. You'd think you'd look it up but we can't know for certain. Though, perhaps the most likely answer, or at least part of it, is waifus. Assuming they didn't alot many for it. Or maybe they literally only gave it two and instead of cutting Mythra, they kept both of them and cut Rex.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Actually, the pixel telephone explains exactly why they were chosen...

Most of them are legend class spirits. The ones that aren't are assist trophies, or dojo owners/shop owners, or special in some way like being evolution or fusion only spirits. The major exceptions are from franchises that don't have enough spirits to follow rules and still provide a decent amount of spirits like Game and Watch, which has no legend class spirits or specialties.

I really don't think it means anything. It's like how some games aren't listed in the files of Smash Ultimate because they have no significant content (ie no songs, stage, etc) to justify tagging them as being from that game.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Most of them are legend class spirits. The ones that aren't are assist trophies, or dojo owners/shop owners, or special in some way like being evolution or fusion only spirits. The major exceptions are from franchises that don't have enough spirits to follow rules and still provide a decent amount of spirits like Game and Watch, which has no legend class spirits or specialties.
This is a better explanation but I'm not completely satisfied with it either. Even looking at series with massive amounts of icons and spirits like Fire Emblem and Earthbound (no biases here, Smash team), you still find exceptions to these rules, like Masked Man and Takumi getting icons despite being none of those things (3 star spirits with no assist trophies, not dojo owners, not related to evolution or summoning).

Other similar exceptions I could find are: Bass, Roll, Megaman Volnutt, Kazuhira Miller, Jody Summer, Jack Levin, Amy, some Animal Crossing characters (there are no legendary Animal Crossing spirits what the hell), Off the Hook, Great Zapfish, Sagat, Sakura (Street Fighter), Zelda (BotW), Camilla.

I don't know man, if all of these could get an icon despite not meeting the "qualifications" couldn't Rex too? So strange to go "uh can't give an icon to the MC, he only has 3 stars. His blades are fine tho."

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Actually, the pixel telephone explains exactly why they were chosen...

Yeah, makes sense. 4/5 of the non-Fighter/AT Xenoblade Spirits are -- lo and behold -- the only four Xenoblade Legend class Spirits in existence. The fifth (known to most as Duncan Dunban) is a participant in Shulk's Final Smash and thus a logical exception.

Arthur97

Smash Master
That brings us to the other big question...why was Rex only three stars? He's literally the (or at least a) protagonist.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Arthur97

Smash Master
Did you come here just to say that? Why go a support threat just to tell them you think they have lower odds?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Did you come here just to say that? Why go a support threat just to tell them you think they have lower odds?
Saying that a character has a 90% chance of making it into Smash is saying that they're almost guaranteed, and I don't think that anyone can say with any certainty that a character is (realistically) a guarantee. (given that, every time we think we have this figured out, the Smash developers throw a curveball) There's a difference between saying a character isn't a guarantee (which is what's happening here) and saying that a character isn't going to be included.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'd argue that Rex has a 20-30% chance of happening...and even that might be pushing it, tbh.

A lot of you guys need to stop thinking he's damn near guaranteed just because we got Min Min.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Saying that a character has a 90% chance of making it into Smash is saying that they're almost guaranteed, and I don't think that anyone can say with any certainty that a character is (realistically) a guarantee. (given that, every time we think we have this figured out, the Smash developers throw a curveball) There's a difference between saying a character isn't a guarantee (which is what's happening here) and saying that a character isn't going to be included.
Yeah, I can get that, but to show up just to say that doesn't exactly have a good look even if it was unintentional. Honestly, yes, there isn't much point in trying to assign a number. Especially a probability as this isn't a game of chance, and seemingly sound logic may not always apply. Rex is a logical choice. Little to no licensing issues, missed out on the main game, from a first party series that has grown yet only has one fighter, could provide interesting gameplay elements, and is even fairly highly requested. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen.
I'd argue that Rex has a 20-30% chance of happening...and even that might be pushing it, tbh.

A lot of you guys need to stop thinking he's damn near guaranteed just because we got Min Min.
Ditches on both sides.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

yeah we all really need to temper our expectations

Arthur97

Smash Master
There's tempered expectations, and then there's downright pessimism. Again, he seems like the most logical first party candidate given the other first party content in the passes. Just have to hope they bother actually giving Nintendo fans another go. I might have also vouched for Paper Mario a few months ago, but they kind of squashed that one even if it would have been perfect for this year. Something illogical could happen of course, but all in all, his odds shouldn't be terrible. People want him too. Surely they know that by now.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
There's tempered expectations, and then there's downright pessimism. Again, he seems like the most logical first party candidate given the other first party content in the passes. Just have to hope they bother actually giving Nintendo fans another go. I might have also vouched for Paper Mario a few months ago, but they kind of squashed that one even if it would have been perfect for this year. Something illogical could happen of course, but all in all, his odds shouldn't be terrible. People want him too. Surely they know that by now.
I don't think that I'm being overly pessimistic; I'd just argue that his chances aren't as great as some people may think. He's definitely still a viable choice, yeah, but there are just so many different video game franchises that Smash could pull from for characters that it's hard to say Rex is anywhere close to being a lock.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I personally say Rex has a 70 % chance in becoming a DLC fighter.
Not guaranteed, but much higher chances compared to other 1st party characters (sorry Elma).

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
So ace did a remix for Minecraft guess like ace is also involved with fp2 as well wonder if we will see them do another arangement(Rex)

Top Bottom