• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Yeah, two first party characters in a row from fairly niche series wouldn't have been a wise move if they wanted to really start pushing sales for the pass.

Rex might still have a chance later down the line, albeit a rather low one I think.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Steve was likely the E3 character, so it makes sense that an icon like him was next to be revealed for the pass.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, two first party characters in a row from fairly niche series wouldn't have been a wise move if they wanted to really start pushing sales for the pass.

Rex might still have a chance later down the line, albeit a rather low one I think.
It's Smash DLC. I'm not convinced it can fail. Within reason.

What sort of topsey turvey world are we living in where the Nintendo characters are the minority in a Nintendo game DLC? That people think they have to be rationed out? It is first and foremost a Nintendo game no matter what they try to push. Unless you are deluded enough to believe that Earthbound is an important enough series in wider gaming to warrant two fighters and several stages.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's Smash DLC. I'm not convinced it can fail. Within reason.

What sort of topsey turvey world are we living in where the Nintendo characters are the minority in a Nintendo game DLC? That people think they have to be rationed out? It is first and foremost a Nintendo game no matter what they try to push. Unless you are deluded enough to believe that Earthbound is an important enough series in wider gaming to warrant two fighters and several stages.
the kind of world where people refuse to accept things outside of their own beliefs when it comes to gaming

Arthur97

Smash Master
the kind of world where people refuse to accept things outside of their own beliefs when it comes to gaming
Oh? So do you believe F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Earthbound, and Fire Emblem are all more important than all the third parties to gaming as a whole? They are parts of Nintendo's story, but if this were just gaming, do you expect Ness or Captain Falcon to be fighters with so many stages from their respective series? Why is Min Min here? Shulk? King K. Rool? Duck Hunt? Little Mac? A Piranha Plant!?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh? So do you believe F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Earthbound, and Fire Emblem are all more important than all the third parties to gaming as a whole? They are parts of Nintendo's story, but if this were just gaming, do you expect Ness or Captain Falcon to be fighters with so many stages from their respective series? Why is Min Min here? Shulk? King K. Rool? Duck Hunt? Little Mac? A Piranha Plant!?
no i believe neither relevancy nor importance matters to the smash team when it come to characters selection and the fans care far more than they do

and what has that got to do with what i said?

Arthur97

Smash Master
no i believe neither relevancy nor importance matters to the smash team when it come to characters selection and the fans care far more than they do

and what has that got to do with what i said?
Because the idea it's about gaming rather than Nintendo doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Why are those series so represented even if thay aren't really important to gaming? It's written into the series DNA. It's a Nintendo series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because the idea it's about gaming rather than Nintendo doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Why are those series so represented even if thay aren't really important to gaming? It's written into the series DNA. It's a Nintendo series.
sakurais the one who said he wanted it to be all about gaming

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
The stars line up so well for Rex.
Xenoblade is a Nintendo game and a favorite of Sakurai's followed by the fact that he couldnt get in due to development.
But if he isn't on the pass, I just can't help but find that super strange. Nintendo could easily just suggest Rex or go along with Rex. But they suggested a dumb blockhead of a meme. lol

Attachments

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The stars line up so well for Rex.
Xenoblade is a Nintendo game and a favorite of Sakurai's followed by the fact that he couldnt get in due to development.
But if he isn't on the pass, I just can't help but find that super strange. Nintendo could easily just suggest Rex or go along with Rex. But they suggested a dumb blockhead of a meme. lol
Over 200 million sales constitutes as nothing but a "dumb meme" now?

Look, I'm a huge advocate for Rex and Pyra (if it wasn't already extremely obvious) and they've remained my most wanted since early 2018, but Minecraft in Smash is a big ****ing deal and has an insane pull that another Xenoblade character couldn't even dream to match.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet

Look, I'm a huge advocate for Rex and Pyra (if it wasn't already extremely obvious) and they've remained my most wanted since early 2018, but Minecraft in Smash is a big ****ing deal and has an insane pull that another Xenoblade character couldn't even dream to match.
You're comparing the wrong things here. Because he actually is a meme. He isnt one now, but he was before.(ok who am I kidding here, he is still pretty memeable even if he is in the game now.) Even if their game is popular, you already know what Sakurai said about him. Implementing him wasn't the easiest thing in the world. He's a weird fighter.

Memes don't last over ten years and sell over 200,000,000 copies.

You don't have to like Steve, but stuff like this makes our fanbase seem insecure.
Lol, don't bring up insecurity when I wasn't the least bit serious in what I was saying.
Stop bringing up how much his game sold also, because he would've been in earlier if the amount his game sold for mattered.

Last edited:

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
That's not how that works.

If anything it makes it harder to be included cause it costs more licensing fees.
me:
Stop bringing up how much his game sold
because he would've been in earlier if the amount his game sold for mattered.
you:
that's not how that works.
Yeah, I know that isn't how it works. That's why i'm telling you to not see it that way. I thought you were seeing it that way.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
You're comparing the wrong things here. Because he actually is a meme. He isnt one now, but he was before.(ok who am I kidding here, he is still pretty memeable) Even if their game is popular, you already know what Sakurai said about him. Implementing him wasn't the easiest thing in the world. He's a weird fighter.
He's unorthodox, sure, but he's still a very viable choice and hardly a joke fighter. Most people that considered him a "meme pick" simply weren't educated on how astronomical of an effect that Minecraft has had on not just video games, but media as a whole, and how much it's shaped the generation of kids that grew up with it.

Lol, don't bring up insecurity when I wasn't the least bit serious in what I was saying.
Stop bringing up how much his game sold also, because he would've been in earlier if the amount his game sold for mattered.
Steve wasn't in earlier because negotiations/talks have been in the works for about five years.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
He's unorthodox, sure, but he's still a very viable choice and hardly a joke fighter. Most people that considered him a "meme pick" simply weren't educated on how astronomical of an effect that Minecraft has had on not just video games, but media as a whole, and how much it's shaped the generation of kids that grew up with it.

Steve wasn't in earlier because negotiations/talks have been in the works for about five years.
The people who see it as a memepick judge how it looks and the memes that came with it, all the while already knowing the history behind it and people are still going to see it as a meme. https://twitter.com/LiquidHbox/status/1312438410364157952 At least for the most part. Not everyone's the same. So not everyone would be educated or uneducated on the matter. That assumption is on one-track that splits nowhere.

As for your second quote, I didn't know about that. But granted, he could've been anywhere on the pass anyhow. Sakurai was already confronted with the choice of getting him in the game by Nintendo and he went along with it.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As for your second quote, I didn't know about that. But granted, he could've been anywhere on the pass anyhow. Sakurai was already confronted with the choice of getting him in the game by Nintendo and he went along with it.
its been said that negotiations for steve took 5 years which was before nintendo were suggesting characters

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
its been said that negotiations for steve took 5 years which was before nintendo were suggesting characters
And when were those negotiations finished?
If they were finished before Smash Ultimate, then my point about him being anywhere on the pass or even in the base roster itself would still stand.

Nothing wrong with feeling salty about his inclusion, but with that being said, maybe he shouldve been elsewhere on the pass imo.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And when were those negotiations finished?
If they were finished before Smash Ultimate, then my point about him being anywhere on the pass or even in the base roster itself would still stand.

Nothing wrong with feeling salty about his inclusion, but with that being said, maybe he shouldve been elsewhere on the pass imo.
well clearly they were finished around the same time the second pass was being planned, which was sometime last year. if the negotiations took that long then they must have included him when they could

Arthur97

Smash Master

Okay, so do sales and popularity matter or not? Cause they've added less successful characters before more successful characters. Before more impactful ones if you buy into the Smash not being about Nintendo bit. Snake before Sonic being the first example when it comes to third parties. Or what about Bayonetta? She's far from an icon and needed life support from Nintendo to even make it to a second game. So let's not pretend this was anywhere near obvious as clout doesn't always seem to matter. Nor the obscene argument about being speculated. If that were the case, we might already have Geno. And let's be real here, Minecraft may be huge, but Steve and Alex are essentially six polygons for plastering textures on. Even other less than deep characters tend to have decent designs at least.

Either way, it may not be a meme, but the trailer seemed to be in poor taste both due to the date as well as starting with a Mario focus during his series' 35th anniversary giving hope that maybe it was something Mario related. Though, Xenoblade has probably been slapped in the face the hardest after TH and ARMS got fighters. Kirby and Zelda could also really use some new fighters.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Okay, so do sales and popularity matter or not? Cause they've added less successful characters before more successful characters. Before more impactful ones if you buy into the Smash not being about Nintendo bit. Snake before Sonic being the first example when it comes to third parties. Or what about Bayonetta? She's far from an icon and needed life support from Nintendo to even make it to a second game. So let's not pretend this was anywhere near obvious as clout doesn't always seem to matter. Nor the obscene argument about being speculated. If that were the case, we might already have Geno. And let's be real here, Minecraft may be huge, but Steve and Alex are essentially six polygons for plastering textures on. Even other less than deep characters tend to have decent designs at least.
I never said that Steve was an obvious choice; I was simply saying that he was a smarter choice than including another Xenoblade character if they really wanted to drive sales for the pass because, well...Minecraft is a ****ing juggernaut.

Either way, it may not be a meme, but the trailer seemed to be in poor taste both due to the date as well as starting with a Mario focus during his series' 35th anniversary giving hope that maybe it was something Mario related.
Date aside (which honestly, you'd think they would've announced this during the 35th anniversary stream if it was indeed a Mario character), you can clearly see that the focus was on Mario fighting various gaming all stars before being sent flying by Sonic. It's completely on you for thinking that it was somehow alluding to a new Mario character.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I never said that Steve was an obvious choice; I was simply saying that he was a smarter choice than including another Xenoblade character if they really wanted to drive sales for the pass because, well...Minecraft is a ****ing juggernaut.

Date aside (which honestly, you'd think they would've announced this during the 35th anniversary stream if it was indeed a Mario character), you can clearly see that the focus was on Mario fighting various gaming all stars before being sent flying by Sonic. It's completely on you for thinking that it was somehow alluding to a new Mario character.
I never said you did, but it seems to be a general thought. And it's not like they need help. People are like, driving sales! They aren't exactly hurting when it comes to Smash DLC I imagine. I'm honestly not sure how far they'd have to go for one of them to actually fail.

You'd think, but they don't always make logical choices. But it feels kind of like a tease. And you honestly expect me to focus on who's doing the smacking? Did you pay attention to that during Lucas' trailer in 4 (and Ness was the important one there)? Especially when I think the scene started out with Peach out and about so it's not like there was an immediately obvious theme outside of Mario being the focus nor was there a lot of time to sit and think about it. And since when do you focus on who is beating up the focus of the video rather than the focus? Not to mention given the year it is, in a short span of time, it is not unreasonable to think it might be Mario focused. Especially with precedent from Lucas' trailer.

Last edited:

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
well clearly they were finished around the same time the second pass was being planned, which was sometime last year. if the negotiations took that long then they must have included him when they could
So then he could've been randomly placed anywhere on the pass. I had no real issue with his inclusion, but it could've been anywhere on the 2nd pass. Rex getting cucked all over the place kinda blows lol

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So after making Bomberman an assist trophy, Sakurai went and made him a Mii Costume.

When Rex was a Mii Costume, Sakurai apologized for the fact he wasn't an actual character. So maybe Sakurai will go back on Rex like he did with Bomberman and give him a greater role.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
sakurais the one who said he wanted it to be all about gaming
Isn't that an invention of the community? I'm not aware that Sakurai himself has ever said that.

It's what people WANT the game to be, because the remaining underrepresented Nintendo series are less popular than whatever their favourite series is. But that's not the actual mission statement of the game, otherwise Min Min and Byleth would never have been included.

If it was about "all of gaming", then they would have made an effort to represent a diverse set of genres instead of mostly adventure, RPG, and platformer characters. Master Chief definitely should have been chosen instead of Banjo by that logic. As epic as this crossover is, I don't think it's what some people paint it as.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So then he could've been randomly placed anywhere on the pass. I had no real issue with his inclusion, but it could've been anywhere on the 2nd pass. Rex getting cucked all over the place kinda blows lol
well no cause theyre still developing the four remaining characters, they release the characters as theyre ready not just whenever they feel like it

Isn't that an invention of the community? I'm not aware that Sakurai himself has ever said that.

It's what people WANT the game to be, because the remaining underrepresented Nintendo series are less popular than whatever their favourite series is. But that's not the actual mission statement of the game, otherwise Min Min and Byleth would never have been included.

If it was about "all of gaming", then they would have made an effort to represent a diverse set of genres instead of mostly adventure, RPG, and platformer characters. Master Chief definitely should have been chosen instead of Banjo by that logic. As epic as this crossover is, I don't think it's what some people paint it as.
why would "all of gaming" exclude min min and byleth? theyre still part of gaming last i checked. besides sakurais not one for sticking to his own reasoning anyway

I.D.

Smash Lord
FFFFFFFFF****ing hell how did I not notice this before.

So back in August, The ACE music duo were recording music for an undisclosed project. One of the recording studios was also used for Xenoblade DE OST in early 2020:

This is relevant because the only Xenoblade music arrangements in Smash were made by ACE. At the time I saw this I just thought "oh, development of the next Xenoblade must be going well." For some reason it didn't occur to me until now that it could be Smash related.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
FFFFFFFFF****ing hell how did I not notice this before.

So back in August, The ACE music duo were recording music for an undisclosed project. One of the recording studios was also used for Xenoblade DE OST in early 2020:

This is relevant because the only Xenoblade music arrangements in Smash were made by ACE. At the time I saw this I just thought "oh, development of the next Xenoblade must be going well." For some reason it didn't occur to me until now that it could be Smash related.
- insert Endgame Hawkeye meme here -

It's definitely something to consider but I'm just going to assume that it's for a new Xenoblade game.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Regardless if you think Steve is a good addition to smash or not, can we talk for short moment about the lengths the developers went through to copy the fantasy of a minecraft battle into smash? I already noticed that with min min, where when you play her as a ditto on spring stadion it literally feels like playing 2D Arms .... and the same now with Steve vs Zombie on the new minecraft map.

So assuming Rex gets a spot on the dlc and he gets the same budget/workload/care as Min Min and Steve (unlike Byleth e.g. who I think got the short stick of the budget from Fighters Pass 1...) how crazy do you think they can make his moveset? Because currently most people think he will probably have Pyra as a sidekick walking pokemon-trainer like behind him and his driver arts as b-moves. With some benefit of standing near to pyra. But seeing who they implemented Min Min, Hero and Steve, do you think we are to tame with the moveset? Like that they actually also implement the blade art and special art system from XC2?

Just curious what you think about this topic...

I.D.

Smash Lord
Regardless if you think Steve is a good addition to smash or not, can we talk for short moment about the lengths the developers went through to copy the fantasy of a minecraft battle into smash? I already noticed that with min min, where when you play her as a ditto on spring stadion it literally feels like playing 2D Arms .... and the same now with Steve vs Zombie on the new minecraft map.

So assuming Rex gets a spot on the dlc and he gets the same budget/workload/care as Min Min and Steve (unlike Byleth e.g. who I think got the short stick of the budget from Fighters Pass 1...) how crazy do you think they can make his moveset? Because currently most people think he will probably have Pyra as a sidekick walking pokemon-trainer like behind him and his driver arts as b-moves. With some benefit of standing near to pyra. But seeing who they implemented Min Min, Hero and Steve, do you think we are to tame with the moveset? Like that they actually also implement the blade art and special art system from XC2?

Just curious what you think about this topic...
Definitely. After Min Min and especially Steve I don't want to hear any more half baked bull**** about Pyra and Mythra standing in the background doing nothing.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
I want Cancel Attacking to be a part of Rex's moveset. Give him some non-Specials with multiple hits and mediocre knockback where with the right timing you can segue from their final blow into Specials that have considerable kill power.

For some reason it didn't occur to me until now that it could be Smash related.
Even if it is, keep in mind that ACE arranged Gang-Plank Galleon (literally the main theme of a Donkey Kong series newcomer) which shows there are zero boundaries for them here.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Even if it is, keep in mind that ACE arranged Gang-Plank Galleon (literally the main theme of a Donkey Kong series newcomer) which shows there are zero boundaries for them here.
This is true. However if a Xenoblade character were coming ACE would be 100% involved so I felt it was worth bringing up. I should also point out that they haven't been involved at all with DLC so far, except for supervision of a single Joker track that might have been recorded before Ultimate's release (Joker being the first character and all).

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
If ACE is indeed involved with remixing tracks for Rex in Smash, I sure hope we get better stuff than that awful XC1 medley from the previous game.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Definitely. After Min Min and especially Steve I don't want to hear any more half baked bull**** about Pyra and Mythra standing in the background doing nothing.
But...that's most of what they do in game? Helping out with a few moves and otherwise not fighting would be a faithful recreation of what they did in battle. So if anything isn't that more likely now?

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
But...that's most of what they do in game? Helping out with a few moves and otherwise not fighting would be a faithful recreation of what they did in battle. So if anything isn't that more likely now?
Yeah, other than blade arts, blade specials, blade combos and chain attacks they pretty much do nothing. Who even remembers they are there?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, other than blade arts, blade specials, blade combos and chain attacks they pretty much do nothing. Who even remembers they are there?
It's how it is, but there's no reason them being mostly in the background would make Rex any less of a detailed fighter.

Top Bottom