• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

I.D.

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think the timed input idea I had that one of them would trip them, though I'm not sure how useful that would be.
Don't question the power of the trip :ultdiddy:

But seriously this a mechanic already in place that just so happens to perfectly imitate the main use of anchor shot in battle. Absolute no-brainer if you ask me.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Don't question the power of the trip :ultdiddy:

But seriously this a mechanic already in place that just so happens to perfectly imitate the main use of anchor shot in battle. Absolute no-brainer if you ask me.
I suppose it could be useful for tech chases, but I'm not sure if it'd be all that useful if it's usually outside of Rex's normal range. I agree it'd be a great reference though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you could have anchor shot make people drop items similar to how it makes enemies drop hp potions

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Special moves aren't put there for there iconic value, they're just there because they do things outside of what normals usually do. Being assigned to a regular grab won't prevent Anchor Shot from doing whatever specific feature you want from it, whether it be tripping on a specific throw, generating health recovery or recovering.

Rex almost never shoots the thing to reach a higher elevation in gameplay, what he does with it instead is rappel himself back up after voluntarily jumping off ledges. Why not have him do an automatic, special diving move to dunk recovering opponents after running off a solid platform?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Special moves aren't put there for there iconic value, they're just there because they do things outside of what normals usually do. Being assigned to a regular grab won't prevent Anchor Shot from doing whatever specific feature you want from it, whether it be tripping on a specific throw, generating health recovery or recovering.

Rex almost never shoots the thing to reach a higher elevation in gameplay, what he does with it instead is rappel himself back up after voluntarily jumping off ledges. Why not have him do an automatic, special diving move to dunk recovering opponents after running off a solid platform?
I mean, can you deny the fireballs, egg laying, fire breath, missiles, arrows, Krownarang, etc. are important moves to their respective owners?

Besides, a realistic alternatively hasn't really been provided other than spontaneously making one of his horizontal moves go vertical.

fxd001

Smash Rookie
I mean, can you deny the fireballs, egg laying, fire breath, missiles, arrows, Krownarang, etc. are important moves to their respective owners?

Besides, a realistic alternatively hasn't really been provided other than spontaneously making one of his horizontal moves go vertical.
Just because iconic moves are typically assigned to specials doesn't mean they can't be assigned somewhere else if it feels more appropriate. It's already been done several times before. Look at Megaman, whose most iconic move is mapped to his jab, or Luigi, whose poltergust is used as a grab.
Anchor Shot's primary role in gameplay is grabbing an enemy's legs and sweeping them off their feet. That kind of function makes much more sense being interpreted as a tether grab/zair than it does as an up-b recovery move.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Just because iconic moves are typically assigned to specials doesn't mean they can't be assigned somewhere else if it feels more appropriate. It's already been done several times before. Look at Megaman, whose most iconic move is mapped to his jab, or Luigi, whose poltergust is used as a grab.
Anchor Shot's primary role in gameplay is grabbing an enemy's legs and sweeping them off their feet. That kind of function makes much more sense being interpreted as a tether grab/zair than it does as an up-b recovery move.
While that's true, again, a sensible alternative hasn't really been put forth other than significantly changing one move just to keep them from using the anchor. Like, looking at his arsenal, why would you go, yeah, let's have him helicopter rather than just use the anchor. I generally expected people to try and pull more from Pyra and Mythra for that.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
While that's true, again, a sensible alternative hasn't really been put forth other than significantly changing one move just to keep them from using the anchor. Like, looking at his arsenal, why would you go, yeah, let's have him helicopter rather than just use the anchor. I generally expected people to try and pull more from Pyra and Mythra for that.
Do you remember when Bowser flew away in his shell or Ness zapped himself in the rear to reach a high ledge in their own games? Smash constantly gives vertical movement to things that never did before, like jumping with Elwind or riding a security camera.

Pyra & Mythra don't offer much in the way of vertical movement to Rex either, not to mention they're probably not close to Rex in a recovery scenario. And well, if Double Spinning Hit isn't an Up B, what else can you really use it as?

D

Deleted member

Double Spinning Edge could easily be a forward tilt or smash, depending on if Blade Specials are smash attacks or specials. I'd expect Anchor Shot as either a side b or up b with a grounded variant. If Anchor Shot isn't the up b, then they'll just pull some random upwards sword slash or fire jump for it instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The only driver art I see being relegated to a normal is Sword Bash, probably as a forward smash. Back-criticals optional. It's literally just a strong thrust. The others are a bit too flashy and unusual.

Blade moves kind of have to be specials since they're something you have to build up by landing hits. Though you only need one slot for the different levels. And there is that little mechanic of cancelling regular attacks into driver arts just as they land for extra meter gain...

Arthur97

Smash Master
Do you remember when Bowser flew away in his shell or Ness zapped himself in the rear to reach a high ledge in their own games? Smash constantly gives vertical movement to things that never did before, like jumping with Elwind or riding a security camera.

Pyra & Mythra don't offer much in the way of vertical movement to Rex either, not to mention they're probably not close to Rex in a recovery scenario. And well, if Double Spinning Hit isn't an Up B, what else can you really use it as?
Uh, side special? Plus, there's a neutral special that isn't really accounted for. I'm not sure why you're apparently so against the obvious option for the recovery though and insist on trying to change something. Rex has something to use already, why make a new one? My main concern was whether people thought the seeming abundance of DLC tethers hindered the likelihood of that. Also, how it might function uniquely.
The only driver art I see being relegated to a normal is Sword Bash, probably as a forward smash. Back-criticals optional. It's literally just a strong thrust. The others are a bit too flashy and unusual.

Blade moves kind of have to be specials since they're something you have to build up by landing hits. Though you only need one slot for the different levels. And there is that little mechanic of cancelling regular attacks into driver arts just as they land for extra meter gain...
I'm not sure they're going to do the build up thing. I do honestly think some could make for good smash attacks and would mean Rex has entirely different smashes depending on which one is out cause, well, he doesn't do them.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Blazing Sword is basically just a jump slash that could act as a recovery and it appears super early on (their first cutscene fight together has it for christ's sake). There, that's the recovery. It's not rocket science. Fire sword propel me up, zoom zoom, then I fall back down and hit you.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Blazing Sword is basically just a jump slash that could act as a recovery and it appears super early on (their first cutscene fight together has it for christ's sake). There, that's the recovery. It's not rocket science. Fire sword propel me up, zoom zoom, then I fall back down and hit you.
There's just that teeny tiny hiccup that in order to actually use Blazing Sword in the game, you have to build up your meter all the way to level 3 AND have maxed affinity built up, then wait a few seconds without severing that link. All that doesn't exactly sound convenient for recovery. And it's entirely possible that it and Sacred Arrow will be relegated to Final Smashes if we don't get another chain attack or late-game stuff.

Arthur97

Smash Master
There's just that teeny tiny hiccup that in order to actually use Blazing Sword in the game, you have to build up your meter all the way to level 3 AND have maxed affinity built up, then wait a few seconds without severing that link. All that doesn't exactly sound convenient for recovery. And it's entirely possible that it and Sacred Arrow will be relegated to Final Smashes if we don't get another chain attack or late-game stuff.
You're assuming he'll have a meter at all.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If they can pull it off in their first fight together I think it's fine to let them use it whenever in Smash as a recovery. Have the length of the recovery increase with any meter or build-up mechanic instead of restricting it outright. No point being pendantic about this kind of thing when Mario can use fireballs willynilly.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If they can pull it off in their first fight together I think it's fine to let them use it whenever in Smash as a recovery. Have the length of the recovery increase with any meter or build-up mechanic instead of restricting it outright. No point being pendantic about this kind of thing when Mario can use fireballs willynilly.
And what if you're using Mythra at the time?

Arthur97

Smash Master
And what if you're using Mythra at the time?
Then it changes. Which, honestly, if it's not the anchor, something that changes between the two of them is probably fairly likely. Never mind they could make something up. Mythra has been shown to, if not teleport, then move fast enough that it looks like it.

Blissful Saint

Smash Rookie
Got another accolades trailer today, this time for Future Connected, and it's interesting to see how much they're pushing DE post-release.

Of course Nintendo just wants to push DE to sell good on the new brand recognition the series has, but the optimist in me can't help but hope this is also a joint effort to keep Xenoblade relevant in the public eye for an eventual reveal of Rex thus further cross-promoting with DE and 2, and perhaps even X if they decide to port that and complete the trinity on Switch. It would be a pretty smart move.

Blissful Saint

Smash Rookie
Xould be, though I got the impression that people were generally disappointed with FC.
Probably bc future connected title-wise subtly implied a direct connection to other games like XB2 or foreshadowing of future things, which tbh I kinda expect the latter, but yeah I get the disappointment. I was also somewhat hoping for a bit more than we got.

At the same time, I've been wanting for a long time to see more story with Shulk, so much so that the tiny bit of cutscene I got in the DLC for XB2 brought me so much joy. So getting 20 hours of additional content ten years after release, no matter the nature of the story, brought that same giddy joy into my soul.

No matter what people thought of it though, it still seems in Nintendo's best interest to keep Xenoblade in the spotlight if it's selling well (again, especially if there are plans to bring another rep from the series to smash)

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, the title may have come off as misleading. Honestly, I'm not too keen on only Shulk and Melia coming from the main game party.

I.D.

Smash Lord

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
Still have a very good feeling about Rex & Pyra in Smash Ultimate. Next week will be interesting...

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
When you consider that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was mentioned right alongside ARMS as one of two "strange omissions", it makes the most sense that Rex would be next. Not to mention XC2 is the numbered sequel to a remaster that released just a few months ago, meaning sooooooooo many people are in the right position to play it, or already did following DE and it's fresh on their mind.

The "DE made XC2 old news" argument is stupid because DE is a direct gateway into XC2. You know, the actual true next entry (as indicated by "2") that's on the same hardware and appears in the same eShop search results. We didn't change console generations between the end of 2017 and now. Anyway, not to fall victim to hype, but I'm just saying there is logical reason to predict Rex as the second FP2 fighter as opposed to the third, fourth, fifth, or sixth, mostly due to the fact that ARMS's and XC2's respective lack of representation were implied by Sakurai to be on a similar level of "Wait, what happened?". Therefore I'd absolutely expect him to prioritize the other victim of bad timing if given any control over the order, so that the amends can be out of the way.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm not as convinced about the order. I think they may go with a more traditionally "hype" choice next. Granted, Rex's demand is fairly high, but not generally among the influencers it seems. Then again, few first parties seem to be.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
I'm not as convinced about the order. I think they may go with a more traditionally "hype" choice next. Granted, Rex's demand is fairly high, but not generally among the influencers it seems. Then again, few first parties seem to be.
given how the next character or two would be the ones announced at e3, they are going to go for the biggest names in order to sell the pass to those who don't normally follow smash news

Arthur97

Smash Master
given how the next character or two would be the ones announced at e3, they are going to go for the biggest names in order to sell the pass to those who don't normally follow smash news
Well...actually that might help in a way as they usually show off more than one. Perhaps Rex could have gotten in on the secondary ticket. They aren't always the big ones as Palutena was, strangely, the one shown in the main presentation as opposed to Pac-Man. That said, as the secondary, he'd probably still be third one out. Unless due to his circumstances, he was for some reason easier to develop so they went ahead and released him. They should already have a workable model that's easy to get so that may help.

Staarih

Smash Master
I’ve been toying around with the idea that if we still get two characters this year, it could line up with one in the fall (so, soonish) and one in December. While revealing Min Min in June may or may not have been related to ARMS’ third anniversary, it did occurr pretty conveniently, and as XC2’s anniversary is in December... well, it probably adds to nothing lol, but it would give us the ”E3 hype” character next followed by, well, Rex.

Either way, as of late I’ve been confident in us getting a new Xenoblade character and I have no idea why. Just a hunch I guess. Elma is awesome but I feel like Rex is in a better position to get in.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Well...actually that might help in a way as they usually show off more than one. Perhaps Rex could have gotten in on the secondary ticket. They aren't always the big ones as Palutena was, strangely, the one shown in the main presentation as opposed to Pac-Man. That said, as the secondary, he'd probably still be third one out. Unless due to his circumstances, he was for some reason easier to develop so they went ahead and released him. They should already have a workable model that's easy to get so that may help.
from previous e3's
2013-wii u/3ds version anounced- villager, megaman, wii fit posted to site later that day
2014-mii (all 3), palutana (and dark pit), pacman shown to press, reveled to public later
2015-none, likely due to dlc being unplanned from the start, they had no one to reveal around this time
2016,2017- none, wii u dlc is over, ultimate not yet announced
2018- ultimate announced, everyone is here ridley, daisy (first gameplay of inkling)
2019-hero(dragon quest), banjo
2020-?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I’ve been toying around with the idea that if we still get two characters this year, it could line up with one in the fall (so, soonish) and one in December. While revealing Min Min in June may or may not have been related to ARMS’ third anniversary, it did occurr pretty conveniently, and as XC2’s anniversary is in December... well, it probably adds to nothing lol, but it would give us the ”E3 hype” character next followed by, well, Rex.

Either way, as of late I’ve been confident in us getting a new Xenoblade character and I have no idea why. Just a hunch I guess. Elma is awesome but I feel like Rex is in a better position to get in.
They have been pushing 2 a good deal more, and understandably so. It was much more successful, and it is the sequel to the one they just remade. Though, it's so weird that it almost feels like DE is the sequel to 2.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I was checking my games for updates when I noticed that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had been updated to version 2.1.0. However, I'm not sure what that involves; I can't seem to find patch notes or even a mention of it online.

Top Bottom