• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Arthur97

Smash Master
Probably means absolutely nothing, but Elma being so front and center might be concerning.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Probably means absolutely nothing, but Elma being so front and center might be concerning.
I think she's in the middle because Xenoblade Chronicles X is in between 1 and 2, not because they want to promote her more.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think she's in the middle because Xenoblade Chronicles X is in between 1 and 2, not because they want to promote her more.
Could also be because Shulk and Rex synergize more with her being the odd one out. Like I said, probably doesn't mean anything other than a bout of paranoia on my part.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It feels so strange wanting both Rex and Elma.

I feel like most people hate the one that's not the one they prefer.

I.D.

Smash Lord

Xenoblade isn't Fire Emblem, it doesn't get a spot reserved for the latest MC. People generally understand it's either one or the other and a lot of regulars at both the Elma thread and newcomer speculation thread have made their distaste for Rex and XB2 clear and obsessively persistent. There are some (
insufferable_mini.png
) who have never even played XBX but claim to want Elma for the sole reason of wanting to "shaft" Rex. I dare say a very significant amount of Elma supporters fall in this category.
So yes, not really a surprise that resentment eventually arises.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Xenoblade isn't Fire Emblem, it doesn't get a spot reserved for the latest MC. People generally understand it's either one or the other and a lot of regulars at both the Elma thread and newcomer speculation thread have made their distaste for Rex and XB2 clear and obsessively persistent. There are some (View attachment 274388) who have never even played XBX but claim to want Elma for the sole reason of wanting to "shaft" Rex. I dare say a very significant amount of Elma supporters fall in this category.
Though, something I realized recently doesn't seem to bode well for Elma, and that's the fact that she didn't have the scheduling conflict excuse, yet we've seen nor heard anything that she was so much as considered while Rex was pretty much given an almost. He was the favored choice. Given that X continues to kind of be the odd one out, it seems hard to justify on an objective basis her getting in over him.

It is kind of a shame though if the speculation thread is so bitter. I generally avoid it cause I imagine it's mostly full of third party supporters so I wouldn't know myself.

I.D.

Smash Lord
It is kind of a shame though if the speculation thread is so bitter. I generally avoid it cause I imagine it's mostly full of third party supporters so I wouldn't know myself.
Here are some posts that have been made just today in the newcomer speculation thread in the middle of a conversation otherwise completely unrelated to Xenoblade:
Here’s a hot take. I bet we get Elma or Seven before we get Rex. I don’t think we’re getting Rex.
I have no greater desire than this, not even adding Shanoa, Miriam and Sol would give me the relief of Rex getting shafted again.
When I say "obsessively persistent" I'm not exaggerating one bit.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

I definitely don't hate Elma (mostly indifferent since I haven't played XCX) but some of her supporters can be pretty annoying with how much they downplay Rex's chances.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Here are some posts that have been made just today in the newcomer speculation thread in the middle of a conversation otherwise completely unrelated to Xenoblade:

When I say "obsessively persistent" I'm not exaggerating one bit.
The first one might could be chalked up to somewhat legitimate, but the second one is uncalled for.
I definitely don't hate Elma (mostly indifferent since I haven't played XCX) but some of her supporters can be pretty annoying with how much they downplay Rex's chances.
Especially considering what I pointed out earlier that it doesn't seem she was ever on their radar. They seem to have it confused as to who has the better chance.

Then again, there are also people out there who seem to think that, say, Zeke actually has any sort of chance. Hey, Zeke is great, but it ain't happening.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
The first one might could be chalked up to somewhat legitimate, but the second one is uncalled for.

Especially considering what I pointed out earlier that it doesn't seem she was ever on their radar. They seem to have it confused as to who has the better chance.

Then again, there are also people out there who seem to think that, say, Zeke actually has any sort of chance. Hey, Zeke is great, but it ain't happening.
Zeke would make a fun assist trophy. Him running around fighting everyone only to get himself SD'd by his bad luck.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Xenoblade isn't Fire Emblem, it doesn't get a spot reserved for the latest MC. People generally understand it's either one or the other and a lot of regulars at both the Elma thread and newcomer speculation thread have made their distaste for Rex and XB2 clear and obsessively persistent. There are some (View attachment 274388) who have never even played XBX but claim to want Elma for the sole reason of wanting to "shaft" Rex. I dare say a very significant amount of Elma supporters fall in this category.
X split the fanbase in general, I had plenty of nasty comments for prefering the Original Xenoblade when X released.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Actually, I was thinking of asking what new assist trophy people would want. Zeke would definitely be a good one. If you want to go real flashy, you could have Siren. But, yeah, a party member like Rikki might be best.
X split the fanbase in general, I had plenty of nasty comments for prefering the Original Xenoblade when X released.
Really? But they seem so...caring of the original. I admit, I got some FE fandom vibes from the way XC2 was treated. That is not a good thing.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Actually, I was thinking of asking what new assist trophy people would want. Zeke would definitely be a good one. If you want to go real flashy, you could have Siren. But, yeah, a party member like Rikki might be best.

Really? But they seem so...caring of the original. I admit, I got some FE fandom vibes from the way XC2 was treated. That is not a good thing.
Your honestly threated like a genwunner if you like Xenoblade Chronicles, and being a Shulk thread original from the Smash 4 days, when Xenoblade was still niché, i've seen some of the healthies fanbases go to hell when X released, because oh boy you were not allowed to be "dissapointed with X's story" or point at other gameplay stuff that where major step backs from the original like swapping party members

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, the plot of X was really lacking. I'm glad 2 went back to a plot focus. And a non-avatar MC. I've really grown tired of the trend of avatar MCs in games. I feel they either aren't good avatars and have too much personality (like either Robin from Awakening), or they have so little, or, at the very least, a variable one that hurts the plot itself. Or at least doesn't add to it. Rex, love him or hate him, is at least a predetermined character with his own path.

Maybe it's because I didn't really look into it until about two years after XC2, but the original seems to reign supreme these days. In fact, I'm kind of avoiding part of it lately as it's probably chalked full of praise for XC, some of which may come with jabs at 2.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Your honestly threated like a genwunner if you like Xenoblade Chronicles, and being a Shulk thread original from the Smash 4 days, when Xenoblade was still niché, i've seen some of the healthies fanbases go to hell when X released, because oh boy you were not allowed to be "dissapointed with X's story" or point at other gameplay stuff that where major step backs from the original like swapping party members
Strangely enough I saw the opposite happen. I got a lot of flack for liking X from XC1 fans back in the day.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
my only problem with x was lin

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Sadly being forced to bring Elma and Lin Lee to nearly everything made me like them less. I wanted to use all different types of party members but the restrictions on story chapters + problems with them falling behind in levels if you didn't use them often made it a chore. Otherwise I quite like Elma.

Anyways I like Pyra and Mythra much more than Rex and am mainly looking forward to their possible inclusion with him as the catalyst... so I don't really have a horse in the Rex v. Elma race :p

Arthur97

Smash Master
I imagine Pyra will also get some Mythra-style alterations to her outfit. A sacrifice I'm willing to make.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I imagine Pyra will also get some Mythra-style alterations to her outfit. A sacrifice I'm willing to make.
I think Mythra's tights really suit her, so I have hope that they don't make Pyra look awkward or the edits look too obvious. I actually played all of Torna with Mythra's leggings on.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sadly being forced to bring Elma and Lin Lee to nearly everything made me like them less. I wanted to use all different types of party members but the restrictions on story chapters + problems with them falling behind in levels if you didn't use them often made it a chore. Otherwise I quite like Elma.
yes that was very annoying, being forced to use a character you hate is never a good thing

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't hate tights Mythra, but I probably prefer the original. It's by no means a deal breaker for Smash though. I imagine for Pyra they'd add something to her back. That might be enough, but they might also make her shorts a bit longer.
I think Mythra's tights really suit her, so I have hope that they don't make Pyra look awkward or the edits look too obvious. I actually played all of Torna with Mythra's leggings on.
Fun fact, that means Mythra's core crystal had an error since they use the same one from the main game so she had the incomplete one when using the tights outfit.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That might be enough, but they might also make her shorts a bit longer.
I don't think its the length of the shorts that's the problem. I think its how tight it is on her bum.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Rex is being re rated in Rate Their Chances, come show your support.

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy, the Rex vs Elma (friendly)rivalry just got rekindled lol. I know Rex has the better chance though since Sakurai really wanted to add him during Ultimate's development.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
I seriously can't imagine Sakurai not including Rex at this point, XC2 was the best selling the series and a very popular launch title. I always thought that the ARMS rep being announced gave Rex much better chances but now with Min Min I think it's nearly inevitable.

Last edited:

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Spirit Board for Min Min is out, using mostly base game spirit with a couple of missing characters, Rex's chances have never been higher, can easily add the spirit board to be the already existing spirits as well as Malos, Jin, and some of the other blades
EbIIJEqUEAAlMol.jpg

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Spirit Board for Min Min is out, using mostly base game spirit with a couple of missing characters, Rex's chances have never been higher, can easily add the spirit board to be the already existing spirits as well as Malos, Jin, and some of the other bladesView attachment 275696
About Malos, Jin and the Torna designs. Are they completely owned by Monolith or we have another Nomura copyright design problem here?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, worst come to worst, they could just throw in Pneuma. Maybe some of the other blades too.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
About Malos, Jin and the Torna designs. Are they completely owned by Monolith or we have another Nomura copyright design problem here?
Pretty sure they are completely owned by Monolith, Nomura just helped design and draw them.

Top Bottom