• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
True, but Rex is by no means a lock even if upgrades are on the table.

I'd rather not get my hopes up for his inclusion too much only to have them crushed yet again, y'know?
(Looks like I was ignored by the other guy)
Alot of people's hopes are high up at the moment due to the information I brought to the table here, even though your expectations are low.

I expect massive disappointment from all ends if it doesn't happen. While it'll be a sight to behold as the world burns, its still going to suck hard if he doesnt get in and boy do I want him in. It may just rival the Byleth drama.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Expect to be disappointed to alleviate it. Still, I don't think it's going to be world ending. I just don't think that many people are clamoring for Rex. Yeah, XC2 sold pretty well and now Rex has more done dirty points, but a lot of the "community" seems to be gunning for those third parties.

Tygamer64

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1683-8922-5698
I mean Sakurai said he wanted to add him but he wasn't a thing when the Fighter Pass was being decided
This is very possible

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Expect to be disappointed to alleviate it. Still, I don't think it's going to be world ending. I just don't think that many people are clamoring for Rex. Yeah, XC2 sold pretty well and now Rex has more done dirty points, but a lot of the "community" seems to be gunning for those third parties.
You're absolutely right. I'm just hoping that the sixth fighter on the second pass ends up being Rex so that Sakurai can make good on skipping over him for the base roster. But, DLC speculation is always dominated by third-party picks, so we'll see. Still, I'm staying hopeful whilst keeping my expectations low... And trust me, after Byleth, they're pretty low.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
(Looks like I was ignored by the other guy)
Alot of people's hopes are high up at the moment due to the information I brought to the table here, even though your expectations are low.

I expect massive disappointment from all ends if it doesn't happen. While it'll be a sight to behold as the world burns, its still going to suck hard if he doesnt get in and boy do I want him in. It may just rival the Byleth drama.
Nah, I don't think Rex would be treated with nearly as much disdain from the community since he would be adding to a rising series that a lot of people already believe is currently lacking in characters.

Arthur97

Smash Master
True, for Xenoblade to essentially be Nintendo's up and coming RPG (i.e. their FF) series giving them a foothold in the genre, one fighter is pretty small.

That said, some people seemed to be under the impression that Pass One was officially going to only be third parties. Still, so many seem stuck on their Crash (admittedly, one of the better names thrown around), Master Chief, Dante, Doom Slayer, and Sora.

Last edited:

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
True, for Xenoblade to essentially be Nintendo's up and coming RPG (i.e. their FF) series giving them a foothold in the genre, one fighter is pretty small.

That said, some people seemed to be under the impression that Pass One was officially going to only be third parties. Still, so many seem stuck on their Crash (admittedly, one of the better names thrown around), Master Chief, Dante, Doom Slayer, and Sora.
People are going to be sorely disappointed when a lot of these big name third parties as well as obscure third party characters don't get in. I feel like the issue of opening the door to big crazy third parties like Cloud and Joker have led to people being stuck wanting characters that are just not that likely to happen.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
People are going to be sorely disappointed when a lot of these big name third parties as well as obscure third party characters don't get in. I feel like the issue of opening the door to big crazy third parties like Cloud and Joker have led to people being stuck wanting characters that are just not that likely to happen.
Honestly, I'm not sure anymore. Though, supposedly the Doom developer said their talks didn't go anywhere. I'm also really hoping Overwatch keeps its mits off Smash.

Third parties used to be special, now they're...Terry (as much as people harp on the Byleths, more people may have wanted them than Terry). Honestly though, there will probably never be one as hype as Sonic or Mega Man were. It was really downhill after Sonic if just because he's Sonic (say what you will about the franchise, but he has the notable distinction of actually beating Mario for however brief a time). Plus, it was Mario and Sonic. As far as gaming goes, you don't really get more iconic than that.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Honestly, I'm not sure anymore. Though, supposedly the Doom developer said their talks didn't go anywhere. I'm also really hoping Overwatch keeps its mits off Smash.

Third parties used to be special, now they're...Terry (as much as people harp on the Byleths, more people may have wanted them than Terry). Honestly though, there will probably never be one as hype as Sonic or Mega Man were. It was really downhill after Sonic if just because he's Sonic (say what you will about the franchise, but he has the notable distinction of actually beating Mario for however brief a time). Plus, it was Mario and Sonic. As far as gaming goes, you don't really get more iconic than that.
This. We're running out of characters who can unite the community the way Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud, and Banjo/Kazooie did. Crash miiight be able to but even that's kind of a stretch. That's what makes me so nervous about DLC speculation moving forward... There's always going to be a vocal group upset with whoever is picked.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This. We're running out of characters who can unite the community the way Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud, and Banjo/Kazooie did. Crash miiight be able to but even that's kind of a stretch. That's what makes me so nervous about DLC speculation moving forward... There's always going to be a vocal group upset with whoever is picked.
Won't it be the Spyro fans upset if Crash gets in but not the former?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I wouldn't put Cloud on that list. he was from the first FF game to switch systems. Not exactly someone Nintendo fans might remember fondly. And, remember, this is still a Nintendo game no matter what they might be trying to do to it.
I'd say Crash has more tout or business being there than Spyro. Crash is essentially less successful Sonic. I'm not a fan personally, but he's more of a fit than a lot of choices. Like Master Chief. Like, come on.

Like Silver Soul said, unifying choices are not really there anymore for the third parties (well, maybe Geno who is technically third party). I mean, a lot of people throw around Dante, but hardcore Nintendo fans probably aren't going wild of him the way they did over Sonic and Mega Man (the latter of which benefited from one of if not the best trailers in Smash history).

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Yes we will. :(

Haha, for real though, even though I prefer Spyro, I'm not a die-hard fan. I recognize that Crash is more iconic, and if it came down to the two of them, I'd want whichever one would make the most people happy. I'm not sure how the vocal the Spyro fanbase is these days so hopefully they wouldn't be too upset.

I wouldn't put Cloud on that list. he was from the first FF game to switch systems. Not exactly someone Nintendo fans might remember fondly. And, remember, this is still a Nintendo game no matter what they might be trying to do to it.
The thing with Cloud is that, while the character didn't get his start on Nintendo, his series did. So to old school FF fans who were around to see the series make the jump to the Playstation, having Cloud and his series join Smash was a homecoming of sorts. Sort of like what happened with Banjo, so yes, I'd include Cloud among the most important additions in Smash history for the community at large. Plus, his addition ultimately marked the return of mainline FF games to Nintendo hardware, even if they're just ports of the games Nintendo fans may have missed over the years.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yes we will. :(

Haha, for real though, even though I prefer Spyro, I'm not a die-hard fan. I recognize that Crash is more iconic, and if it came down to the two of them, I'd want whichever one would make the most people happy. I'm not sure how the vocal the Spyro fanbase is these days so hopefully they wouldn't be too upset.

The thing with Cloud is that, while the character didn't get his start on Nintendo, his series did. So to old school FF fans who were around to see the series make the jump to the Playstation, having Cloud and his series join Smash was a homecoming of sorts. Sort of like what happened with Banjo, so yes, I'd include Cloud among the most important additions in Smash history for the community at large. Plus, his addition ultimately marked the return of mainline FF games to Nintendo hardware, even if they're just ports of the games Nintendo fans may have missed over the years.
Eh, I'm still not sold on Cloud being a "Nintendo choice", but I feel better about him now that he is finally paying his way as it were. Bayonetta, while certainly not an icon or very fitting with the Nintendo cast, is a series that is rather closely tied with them, and the dev seems rather dedicated to keeping the series exclusive to them (might help that Nintendo allowed the series to actually become a series) so that helps alleviate her issues. Simon may not be radically popular, but he is also an NES legend.

But, I also don't like it when people say there aren't anymore Nintendo choices. Well, obviously we're all aware of Rex, but I can also think of at least three Kirby fighters they could add. Then some people just seem to lack imagination like the person who thought Rex would just be Mii Swordfighter with Joker's up special (and, yes, they insisted he would have a counter). Course, I've also spent time thinking up how Lucina and Chrom could be decloned. It very much could be done, and moving forward that could be a way to essentially give new fighters without inciting as much wrath for more Fire Emblem.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
Nah, I don't think Rex would be treated with nearly as much disdain from the community since he would be adding to a rising series that a lot of people already believe is currently lacking in characters.
I see. Well that is if he gets in.
I was speaking from a perspective of when he doesn't get in as it would upset alot of people.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Reminder that Japan considers Crash to be so ugly that they use their own design for him on box art.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Wasn't it just the addition/subtraction of fingers though?

Besides, they supposedly hate Metroid, but we got Ridley. Banjo & Kazooie apparently also got a pretty decent reception there. It may not be as black and white as you think.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
It would seem alot of people think Nintendo chose Byleth when it was Sakurai who chose Byleth and it was all done in secret as Nintendo didnt know about it.
Had he chosen from a list of fighters, he would have to go to Nintendo with his choice and preparations for release of the character may have happened already, but it had to be done after the direct. Proof: https://clips.twitch.tv/PeppyBenevolentPineappleMrDestructoid

If Sakurai can work on a Fighter in secret like that just because he likes Fire Emblem. Then that just simply gives Rex another boost to get in ontop of everything i've already said.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
It was a secret to most people at Nintendo. No, someone still had to sign off on it. Nintendo was involved in the DLC at the very least (and still isn't using much of it's stuff for some reason). Now, their was a list narrative, and if true, maybe Sakurai mostly just went with third parties ignoring most of the first parties on the list; we simply don't know what was on this theoretical list if it even existed. Now, maybe Sakurai downplayed his own involvement, but he did at least have some input on it to the degree that at the very least he would say if he could make it work or not.

If Nintendo did pick all of them, come on, get your priorities straight. At least make it part of the deal that you get P5. Not entirely sure what they were thinking with Terry.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
It was a secret to most people at Nintendo. No, someone still had to sign off on it. Nintendo was involved in the DLC at the very least (and still isn't using much of it's stuff for some reason). Now, their was a list narrative, and if true, maybe Sakurai mostly just went with third parties ignoring most of the first parties on the list; we simply don't know what was on this theoretical list if it even existed. Now, maybe Sakurai downplayed his own involvement, but he did at least have some input on it to the degree that at the very least he would say if he could make it work or not.

If Nintendo did pick all of them, come on, get your priorities straight. At least make it part of the deal that you get P5. Not entirely sure what they were thinking with Terry.
You're right that someone still had to sign on it. It just so happens that very thing happened after the video, like what Sakurai said. He even told us that their reaction would be a surprised one "Really..?" because he went ahead and did this and even if its no secret to certain people at Nintendo, it must have been trusted people and not the "main guys" over there.

I also find it confusing you say he downplayed his own involvement despite the clip mentioning the complete opposite of that. That it was his own doing that did this.

Edit: In the beginning, apparently there was a list of characters he had to choose from iirc.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I said maybe he did. I'm also going off his old tweet before this all started which admittedly isn't the most concrete of evidence. This is Sakurai after all, and, perhaps ironically, he may not be the best source of information.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
I said maybe he did. I'm also going off his old tweet before this all started which admittedly isn't the most concrete of evidence. This is Sakurai after all, and, perhaps ironically, he may not be the best source of information.
But its his game. He should be a good source of information and if what I presented is new information, then it has to be true......
..but i'm confused about something.
See apparently this clip was pre-recorded in November. At the same time he made this tweet. I assume you were talking about this just now https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282?s=19 and oddly enough it dates back to 2018's November instead of 2019's. (at least for me somehow..). Smash ultimate was released during December 7th, 2018.

While Sakurai has changed his mind on things, it was never really seen as backtracking. He just happened pulled through with things all the time.
Which is why I said that first bit in this reply just now about him being a good source of info given it being his game.. but i'm still confused.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
sakurai says a lot of things that dont always make sense compared to some of the things he does

Last edited:

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
sakurai says a lot of things that dont always make sense compared to some of the things he does
But it doesn't backtrack anywhere though. It always seems to be seen as progress and a way forward.

For example: He refused Ridley for being too big, then changed his mind and added him into Ultimate.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But it doesn't backtrack anywhere though. It always seems to be seen as progress and a way forward.

For example: He refused Ridley for being too big, then changed his mind and added him into Ultimate.
no i meant he can be contradictory, like his too new thing

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
no i meant he can be contradictory, like his too new thing
I see.
Well then perhaps this is looking like the Ridley scenario. Because it looks similar to that in a way.
Because Ridley was "too big", people thought he wouldnt get in. That's reasonable.
Now all of a sudden he's in Smash. But I dont get whats with his contradictions.. and if its like the Ridley scenario, then perhaps he may pull through.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I see.
Well then perhaps this is looking like the Ridley scenario. Because it looks similar to that in a way.
Because Ridley was "too big", people thought he wouldnt get in. That's reasonable.
Now all of a sudden he's in Smash. But I dont get whats with his contradictions.. and if its like the Ridley scenario, then perhaps he may pull through.
ridley was due to overwhelming fan demand, ridley and k.rool prove that fan demand can work but isaac proves that it doesnt always.

the contradictions are the things like, he said rex and arms were too new but then byleth got in, when he said he didnt include a certain snk due to her revealing outfit despite the many revealing outfits already in the game, or when he said he didnt choose the urban champion due to his limited attacks and then the nes character he did choose had even less attacks

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well think about this: Spirits havent truly deconfirmed anyone before. It never had the chance to. People only assume that it does, but the truth is, no one really knows if it does or not. There are also fighters in the game with those spirits and Rex could always get an Endgame spirit. There is also no Rex battle-tag in game, but there are ones of Pyra and Mythra.

Ontop of that, he was a Mii Fighter only because he couldn't make it into the base Roster, meaning there is still a big chance for him to get in.
As a plus to that, Byleth got in and his game is alot newer than Xenoblade Chronicles 2. So if he got in, and you put everything I just said together, then he should be a near guarantee for the 2nd pass. Xenoblade is one of Sakurai's favorites after all. Which is another reason Byleth got in, because Sakurai loves Fire Emblem. (He was seen there hanging up posters behind himself and he was counting away all the games Fire Emblem games he knew of and probably played.)
Spirits do most likely deconfirm though, the theory only got amplified, instead of taking a hit with each update last year.

Piranha Plant's spirit missing out of 1300 choices
Three Houses Spirits being absent until Byleth's reveal
But most importantly its in the naming of a spirit. ("Samus" is the fighter spirit, but her other suits are not named "Samus", but "Fusion, Dark or Light Suit").

This point got amplified when people discovered that detailed alt costumes like "Meta Ridley" are also a Fighter Spirit and "Partner Pikachu" followed the same ruling as other alternate form spirits when they updated the game with the Lets Go Spirits

For example if Rex gets in Sakurai has to either change the name of his Fighter Spirit or he shares the same naming with the "Rex" spirit we have in game currently (as you can see the stars have to allign perfectly for this scenario to happen).

However this rule is more of a concern for other spirited characters like Elma, Geno, Shantae etc., because one major advantage we have is that we can bypass this with calling Rex's fighter spirit "Rex & Pyra"

The only other hurdle we have is how will we handle a Xenoblade 2 Spirit board (well we can draw from Torna I guess and add in some villains like Malos). Byleth's update most likely will make it clear how music will be handled, so if we are able to play other FE tracks on the Three Houses Stage, we can knock this also of our list of hurdles ;).

TL.DR I say Xenoblade 2 and Pokemon Gen 8 still have a shot to make it in the second fighters pass and they only need to find a way to get enough spirits for their spirit board and how the music will be handled

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
Spirits do most likely deconfirm though, the theory only got amplified, instead of taking a hit with each update last year.

But most importantly its in the naming of a spirit. ("Samus" is the fighter spirit, but her other suits are not named "Samus", but "Fusion, Dark or Light Suit").

This point got amplified when people discovered that detailed alt costumes like "Meta Ridley" are also a Fighter Spirit and "Partner Pikachu" followed the same ruling as other alternate form spirits when they updated the game with the Lets Go Spirits

For example if Rex gets in Sakurai has to either change the name of his Fighter Spirit or he shares the same naming with the "Rex" spirit we have in game currently (as you can see the stars have to allign perfectly for this scenario to happen).

However this rule is more of a concern for other spirited characters like Elma, Geno, Shantae etc., because one major advantage we have is that we can bypass this with calling Rex's fighter spirit "Rex & Pyra"

The only other hurdle we have is how will we handle a Xenoblade 2 Spirit board (well we can draw from Torna I guess and add in some villains like Malos). Byleth's update most likely will make it clear how music will be handled, so if we are able to play other FE tracks on the Three Houses Stage, we can knock this also of our list of hurdles ;).

TL.DR I say Xenoblade 2 and Pokemon Gen 8 still have a shot to make it in the second fighters pass and they only need to find a way to get enough spirits for their spirit board and how the music will be handled
Spirits deconfirming is still just an assumption in the end though and has never "truly" been proven. It has never truly been amplified neither because there are already stray spirits of people in the game to begin with. Spirits of people already not in the game. But so long as this pass hasnt reached its conclusion, we'll never truly know. If Piranha Plant's spirit is missing when all the other main fighters have their main spirits, that's also suspicious. Byleth joining in with Three Houses spirits does technically deconfirm. But not in the way people would think it would deconfirm Rex. Because Byleth was already revealed, so why add in another three house character alongside him? Of course the rest would come with him as Spirits.

Also Sakurai wouldn't have to rename Rex's spirit because he could always just use his Endgame spirit. I mention they could use this because they have Mech-Fiora in there. But then again and "Rex & Pyra" spirit doesn't seem half bad. But at the same time, Rex doesn't even have a battle tag icon. Which is quite an oddity.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master

If Pass 2 was unplanned from the start, then this is not that relevant, but even if Pass 1 wasn't ironed out to start, there are some things to consider.

1. Plant was likely intended for the base game. Why? It has a unique Palutena's Guidance, it's Amiibo is already released while the rest of the DLC's haven't even been announced, and it was given away for free (for a time). This means, they likely knew far ahead of time that it would be a fighter and not to put a generic spirit for it.

2. Four out of five of Pass 1 was third party meaning it's not really surprising none of them had spirits.

3. TH wasn't out yet, so it's also very reasonable it didn't have any.

Again, this is assuming none of the first pass was planned until after the spirits were finalized.

I'd say the only time spirits are significantly meaningful is when they add them post launch. Or, namely, after they started planning pass 2. Like, Resident Evil, not looking so good for them at this point.

Your "rules" are also not set in stone. There is no reason they cannot add a fighter spirit named Rex (probably just using his render for that default spirit much like Cloud). Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't. It's like assuming a Lucas trophy means he had not shot if Smash 4. Worst come to worst, they could just name it "Rex (Fighter)" though I don't think Lucas or Mewtwo had a special distinction for their fighter trophies compared to their NPC ones. Rex & Pyra probably wouldn't work as Mythra's probably tagging along.

Music is not really an issue as their are plenty of good tracks from XC2 to include as they only put, what? Three? That's not counting remixes.

As for new spirits, there's no confirmation we're getting new spirit boards, but if we are, there are still several options since they didn't include many blades. Dromarch, Poppi QT (I think Poppi a is the only one besides Pyra and Mythra they put), Brighid, and Pandoria. Then villains, Malos (perhaps enhanceable to legendary) and Jin are obvious, but other Torna members could work. Azurda (larva upgradable to titan perhaps) is also a good one. Vandham and Roc are possibilities as well. Then, of course:
Pneuma as the legendary on the board if they are so inclined.

Spirits should not serve as any inhibiting factor here.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
If Pass 2 was unplanned from the start, then this is not that relevant, but even if Pass 1 wasn't ironed out to start, there are some things to consider.

1. Plant was likely intended for the base game. Why? It has a unique Palutena's Guidance, it's Amiibo is already released while the rest of the DLC's haven't even been announced, and it was given away for free (for a time). This means, they likely knew far ahead of time that it would be a fighter and not to put a generic spirit for it.

2. Four out of five of Pass 1 was third party meaning it's not really surprising none of them had spirits.

3. TH wasn't out yet, so it's also very reasonable it didn't have any.

Again, this is assuming none of the first pass was planned until after the spirits were finalized.

I'd say the only time spirits are significantly meaningful is when they add them post launch. Or, namely, after they started planning pass 2. Like, Resident Evil, not looking so good for them at this point.

Your "rules" are also not set in stone. There is no reason they cannot add a fighter spirit named Rex (probably just using his render for that default spirit much like Cloud). Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't. It's like assuming a Lucas trophy means he had not shot if Smash 4. Worst come to worst, they could just name it "Rex (Fighter)" though I don't think Lucas or Mewtwo had a special distinction for their fighter trophies compared to their NPC ones. Rex & Pyra probably wouldn't work as Mythra's probably tagging along.

Music is not really an issue as their are plenty of good tracks from XC2 to include as they only put, what? Three? That's not counting remixes.

As for new spirits, there's no confirmation we're getting new spirit boards, but if we are, there are still several options since they didn't include many blades. Dromarch, Poppi QT (I think Poppi a is the only one besides Pyra and Mythra they put), Brighid, and Pandoria. Then villains, Malos (perhaps enhanceable to legendary) and Jin are obvious, but other Torna members could work. Azurda (larva upgradable to titan perhaps) is also a good one. Vandham and Roc are possibilities as well. Then, of course:
Pneuma as the legendary on the board if they are so inclined.

Spirits should not serve as any inhibiting factor here.
I believe the japanese website confirmed that the next DLC fighters will come with a spirit board again, but you are free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Basically the only way to break the overall spirit rule is if we do get a character who's fighter spirit has the same naming as the base game spirit or Sakurai makes some changes to the new characters fighter spirit/base game spirit, hence why I say calling Rex's fighter spirit "Rex & Pyra", completely dodges the rule spirits have build up with each update since Pirahna Plant. We are atleast lucky imo that we have a far more easier shot to bypass the Spirit theory, unlike other characters.

As for Three Houses I wait on the datamines to see if Byleth was always planned for the first pass, because I feel Byleth was swapped last minute still (with this I mean decided somewhere in the summer) and that would explain the Resident Evil spirits out of nowhere last month to.

Resident evil like DQ was promoted alot last year in Directs with the older RE games getting ported, but its not that farfetched that Sakurai would have hit a hurdle regarding either moveset potential for a RE character or most importantly CERO giving Sakurai living hell to censor alot of things (Resident evil monsters are nightmare fuel in general) and if you are on a deadline, its way easier to deal with Intelligent Systems for negotiating, then for example with the Pokemon Company. (Would explain why Byleth's trailer had that cheaper feel to, by reusing assets from three houses)

Byleth always was inevitable for me personally though, when I heard more DLC was planned (and well the missing Three Houses spirits where a red flag to), but I felt he/she would be a bonus character like Plant or in FP2, plus honestly it would be a bit unfair for Rex & Pyra fans if they where to new, but Fire Emblem got a free pass

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
really? thats kind of funny
Wasn't it just the addition/subtraction of fingers though?
It's a completely different design and it appears on the box art for pretty much every Crash game released there.

Besides, they supposedly hate Metroid, but we got Ridley. Banjo & Kazooie apparently also got a pretty decent reception there. It may not be as black and white as you think.
We're talking specifically about characters. Whether they love or hate the Crash series is irrelevant to the fact that the character's real face is seen by Japanese publishers as a threat to sales (and they're probably not wrong, lol). Also, why bring up Banjo? Japan always liked Banjo, both the character and the games. The reason why two of the five games didn't release there was because Rare's non-DKC port GBA games barely got released anywhere thanks to THQ's incompetent publishing (which may actually have given It's Mr. Pants! the distinction of being the first and only timed Canadian exclusive despite THQ being in California).

Arthur97

Smash Master
I believe the japanese website confirmed that the next DLC fighters will come with a spirit board again, but you are free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Basically the only way to break the overall spirit rule is if we do get a character who's fighter spirit has the same naming as the base game spirit or Sakurai makes some changes to the new characters fighter spirit/base game spirit, hence why I say calling Rex's fighter spirit "Rex & Pyra", completely dodges the rule spirits have build up with each update since Pirahna Plant. We are atleast lucky imo that we have a far more easier shot to bypass the Spirit theory, unlike other characters.

As for Three Houses I wait on the datamines to see if Byleth was always planned for the first pass, because I feel Byleth was swapped last minute still (with this I mean decided somewhere in the summer) and that would explain the Resident Evil spirits out of nowhere last month to.

Resident evil like DQ was promoted alot last year in Directs with the older RE games getting ported, but its not that farfetched that Sakurai would have hit a hurdle regarding either moveset potential for a RE character or most importantly CERO giving Sakurai living hell to censor alot of things (Resident evil monsters are nightmare fuel in general) and if you are on a deadline, its way easier to deal with Intelligent Systems for negotiating, then for example with the Pokemon Company. (Would explain why Byleth's trailer had that cheaper feel to, by reusing assets from three houses)

Byleth always was inevitable for me personally though, when I heard more DLC was planned (and well the missing Three Houses spirits where a red flag to), but I felt he/she would be a bonus character like Plant or in FP2, plus honestly it would be a bit unfair for Rex & Pyra fans if they where to new, but Fire Emblem got a free pass
Except there is no "rule" that we know of save for the ones made up by fans. It's not a hard work around, and Smash 4 even gives us precedence. Spirits should in no way be taken as absolute. Even their insight into intent is very possibly obsolete now. Rex is not a shoo-in, but this should not be

Considering the major protagonist(s) was one of those spirits, I kind of doubt they just decided to release a few early. Also, why would you do that if they were just delayed? Having games on Switch does not mean you get in Smash, plain and simple. If there was going to be something absolutely deal breaking, Sakurai probably wouldn't have signed off on it to begin with. There really isn't much to back up the idea that they were from a delayed/canceled fighter pack.
It's a completely different design and it appears on the box art for pretty much every Crash game released there.

We're talking specifically about characters. Whether they love or hate the Crash series is irrelevant to the fact that the character's real face is seen by Japanese publishers as a threat to sales (and they're probably not wrong, lol). Also, why bring up Banjo? Japan always liked Banjo, both the character and the games. The reason why two of the five games didn't release there was because Rare's non-DKC port GBA games barely got released anywhere thanks to THQ's incompetent publishing (which may actually have given It's Mr. Pants! the distinction of being the first and only timed Canadian exclusive despite THQ being in California).
And NOA loves giving Kirby angry eyes. Doesn't mean that all Americans hate cute Kirby.

As for Banjo and Kazooie, frankly, I didn't know, but it generally seems like they would have bigger followings in the West, but, like K. Rool, this is not necessarily the case.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Let Gamefaqs be Gamefaqs. It's not exactly the most respectable part of the internet...if there is such a thing.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Let Gamefaqs be Gamefaqs. It's not exactly the most respectable part of the internet...if there is such a thing.
I'd say they're the worse of many evils on the internet. If I'm being honest, you gotta know your way around the internet if you wanna avoid as much toxicity and venom as you can.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm assuming just when it comes to video games?

Yeah, that site has quite the reputation. Can't say what little I've seen is very reassuring either. No, it's generally best to avoid the forums there it seems, though the resources might be helpful.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
To change the subject a bit, how many of you guys still play XC2 on a regular basis? It's been a few months since I've last touched it but I've been itching to do another run of the Torna expansion sometime soon.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I actually didn't get it until a few months ago. Got the DLC after Christmas. Played through Torna (meh, community checks were pretty annoying) and am currently at the start of Chapter 7 on my replay.

While I didn't like having to use other blades when separated from Pyra and Mythra, it is also a bit odd just having this emotional cutscene followed by Pyra standing there like nothing is wrong. Plus, now I wouldn't hate fighting without them as much.

Top Bottom