• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

D

Deleted member

Another possible answer I would like to give to the whole "If Rex was too new why Byleth?" thing.

Pyra and Mythra would have to be involved in the fighting without a doubt. At least.

Because of that, almost every Rex moveset idea involves either and Ice Climbers type gimmick, but more involved since there would be a much greater focus on protecting your partner and it wouldn't be a duo attack style. Or using Blade Switching to swap between 3 different movesets for Rex.

Obviously it's only a theory, but maybe the added development difficulty of either option made it too unfeasible to add Rex while still keeping the February 2020 deadline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't think it would be three different movesets. Rex really needs them to do much, and I doubt they'd go with another blade. There are too many to pick from for one outside of Roc who is...meh and one that I might argue is a bigger spoiler than the one commonly touted as a FS. I also doubt they'd go with an Ice Climbers approach as in the main game, they could not be attacked in battle.

I kind of see it as something more than Monado Arts and less than Pokemon switch. I don't think it would revamp the whole moveset (especially given how Pyra and Mythra have the same weapon type), but it may change how some moves work as well as changing up a few moves entirely (like smash attacks if they do something like my idea). So, the most likely scenario, is that it would be something like 1.5 movesets.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I kind of see it as something more than Monado Arts and less than Pokemon switch. I don't think it would revamp the whole moveset (especially given how Pyra and Mythra have the same weapon type), but it may change how some moves work as well as changing up a few moves entirely (like smash attacks if they do something like my idea). So, the most likely scenario, is that it would be something like 1.5 movesets.
At one point I thought of having Pyra/Mythra be like Pokemon Trainer and Arsene put together, but the Monado Arts thing could work, too. Come to think of it, with that in mind, here’s what I think could be possible:

AEGIS AND AFFINITY:
Pyra/Mythra are in the background, constantly supporting Rex. Pyra has more range and burst damage with her attacks while Mythra has quicker attacks and has more combo potential. However, as the battle progresses, their boosts gradually increase with Affinity. As Affinity increases, the benefits of both Blades increase until they reach Max Affinity, at which point the Blades’ individual advantages are multiplied by 2x. Affinity decreases whenever Rex takes damage and resets when Rex is KO’d. However, there is something different about Affinity, as opposed to the Limit Break or the Rebellion Gauge: the intensity of the Affinity tether, which is tied to one of Rex’s Specials.

At any point in the match, Rex can spend his current affinity to perform a Blade Special based on how intense the Affinity tether is. A barely visible blue stream of ether means no Special. An opaque blue means Level I is available. Bright blue means Level II is available. Bright blue with gold sparks means Level III is available. And lastly, a beautiful bright gold means Level IV. One of the biggest hurdles with Affinity is that Pyra and Mythra each have a separate level of Affinity. This means Rex players have to keep track of which Blade is at which Level.

Admittedly, it sounds convoluted and junk, but if you understand exactly what I mean, then I can honestly say congrats.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I had considered an affinity mechanic with having max affinity with both (I know they share one in the actual game) and using a FS giving you a different one, but it seemed liked too much and I already don't like overly gimmicky fighters. Admittedly, my initial idea involved knocking Rex away from them to break the link.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
The ideal scenario for me would still be to have a switching mechanic Torna-style, where you can swap from Rex to Mythra/Pyra and have them be actively playable too, with different movesets for each character.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't know. I think their best shot is if they have something completely unique. Switching has been done before. Multiple times.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I just hope Mythra is in some form of the moveset if they do go with Rex + Pyra only. I'd take even the Final Smash being her. I just don't want her left out or a stage cameo :/

Arthur97

Smash Master
I doubt they'd leave Mythra out (not like she's too much of a spoiler, Pyra shifting to her was literally in a trailer), but I would suggest against overly ambitious expectations. If they make it, it will probably just be Rex and them. Some people seem to go all out and want to throw in different blades like Roc and...that other one seems to be popular, but that might be a bigger spoiler than the other spoiler blade.

But, no, Mythra would be part of what will likely make them unique if they get in. Edit: Augh, even I did it. I would be key to their likely gimmick. Rex could be unique with only one of them.

However, would they be listed as just Rex, or will all three of them be named? I would say just Rex if just to be less unruly, but if even the Lumas gets a name drop...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I doubt they'd leave Mythra out (not like she's too much of a spoiler, Pyra shifting to her was literally in a trailer), but I would suggest against overly ambitious expectations. If they make it, it will probably just be Rex and them. Some people seem to go all out and want to throw in different blades like Roc and...that other one seems to be popular, but that might be a bigger spoiler than the other spoiler blade.

But, no, Mythra would be part of what will likely make them unique if they get in. Edit: Augh, even I did it. I would be key to their likely gimmick. Rex could be unique with only one of them.

However, would they be listed as just Rex, or will all three of them be named? I would say just Rex if just to be less unruly, but if even the Lumas gets a name drop...
Just name only the blade that's out at the time.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Probably just my bias speaking but I'd be incredibly disappointed if Mythra wasn't a part of Rex's moveset and was relegated to his Final Smash.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I think blade switching should be incorporated in Rex's moveset, at the very least keep it to Pyra and Mythra if resources are a problem. Having only one blade would be a disservice to the potential that Rex can bring. I was disappointed with Joker only having Arsene, it really sucks when a character can bring so much more but they get restricted.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I don't know. I think their best shot is if they have something completely unique. Switching has been done before. Multiple times.
I assume you're referring to Pokemon Trainer when you say switching has been done multiple times before, but they could implement it differently with blade switching. Stuff like affinity and the character switching in performing an attack (like Torna) could change things up considerably. I feel like there's a lot of potential other than being a carbon copy of the Pokemon switching mechanic. It's mostly that I would be underwhelmed if the almighty Aegis would be relegated to being merely a buff providing character standing permanently in the background. That and I also care more about Mythra and Pyra as characters than Rex (though I still like him, just not as much).

I also can't imagine Mythra not being part of Rex's moveset at all, she's far too important to leave out. Or like I mentioned earlier, I expect her to be available at least depending on which colour variation of Rex you use.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think they should do a different take on switching where rather than getting different movesets you have the same moves but with different effects, fire and light.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I assume you're referring to Pokemon Trainer when you say switching has been done multiple times before, but they could implement it differently with blade switching. Stuff like affinity and the character switching in performing an attack (like Torna) could change things up considerably. I feel like there's a lot of potential other than being a carbon copy of the Pokemon switching mechanic. It's mostly that I would be underwhelmed if the almighty Aegis would be relegated to being merely a buff providing character standing permanently in the background. That and I also care more about Mythra and Pyra as characters than Rex (though I still like him, just not as much).

I also can't imagine Mythra not being part of Rex's moveset at all, she's far too important to leave out. Or like I mentioned earlier, I expect her to be available at least depending on which colour variation of Rex you use.
Truth be told I am hoping they do a Torna and allow you to switch between Rex and Pyra/Mythra as playable as no lie I am not too big on Rex himself, but the Aegis girls are another story. :)

Arthur97

Smash Master

And Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZSS. They might do full switching, but as that never was a mechanic in the main game, I'm still thinking it will be switching weapons.

I don't know why people are suddenly afraid Mythra would just be a final smash. Yeah, if just one made it, it would probably be Pyra, but that seems unlikely.

Also, poor Rex.

D

Deleted member

One possible creative liberty with the moveset. Pyra and Mythra supplying other blade weapons bedsides the Aegis Sword.

Technically it has precedence because of the Master Blade

Arthur97

Smash Master
It does, but that's a whole other can of worms when it comes to just building a moveset around the plethora of weapons even if they stick to story blades. Then it may also dilute the use of the Aegis Sword which is their main thing. Though, it could help fill up that neutral special slot I'm not sure about. Sword Bash just seems like a more basic Back Slash, and who wants that?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's not hard to use arts as normals. Shulk kind of already does, even if they're not exact matches. Sword Bash is simple enough to be a forward smash, back critical hit optional.

With their weapons being fundamentally similar, Rex could bring some familiarity to those who like playing Shulk, with notable differences like Isabelle. Double Spinning Hit being a more horizontal Air Slash, Rolling Smash being a variant that meteors before blasting the ground, and instead of arts and vision, Rex gets blade specials and switching between Pyra & Mythra, respectively. Meanwhile Anchor Shot is used as a tether grab, with forward throw emulating the usual follow-up slash, complete with tripping.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Weapons bearing a resemblance to one another is not a reason to make them semi-clones. No, I'm not supporting that idea.

I'm also partial to Anchor Shot being the up special. It is easily the most logical choice for his up special.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, if Blade Specials were Rex’s Neutral B, how would Rex Kirby work? Would Kirby have Pyra or Mythra’s hair based on which Blade’s active? Would he have a second Kirby spawn in the background? Would he have a little Pyra/Mythra toy similar to Kazooie?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know, if Blade Specials were Rex’s Neutral B, how would Rex Kirby work? Would Kirby have Pyra or Mythra’s hair based on which Blade’s active? Would he have a second Kirby spawn in the background? Would he have a little Pyra/Mythra toy similar to Kazooie?
All he needs is the sword on his back that he doesn't use for anything but the special. Affinity is separate from charging specials, for the most part.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Susie standing up in Pyra/Mythra's place would be the funniest thing. But I doubt they would ever do that.

Arthur97

Smash Master
There's also blue Pyra and Camilla Mythra for alts.

It would also be cool if, Rex's colors are based off the drivers while Pyra and Mythra's are based on their blades. They could use the swap for
Master Driver Rex.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
I'm rooting for his inclusion in the 2nd pass. Its free and a given at this point with everything going for him.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm rooting for his inclusion in the 2nd pass. Its free and a given at this point with everything going for him.
Rex is far from guaranteed because he's a spirit/Mii costume and we've yet to see evidence that upgrades will happen for this pass.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Let's not stick with this spirits are deconfirming without an official source. Especially with pass 2. I don't think he's guaranteed, but the spirit thing would be a really dumb reason to exclude a fighter.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Let's just say that after Byleth made it in, I would be very disappointed if Rex + Mythra/Pyra are not added in the second pass regardless of my own expectations. The game is no longer "too recent." There's been plenty of time.

I'd also like to add that base game spirits and the Rex Mii costume in particular are no indication of him not being added whatsoever. If he's not in wave 2 it's certainly not because a jpg or Mii costume stopped him. He's not guarantueed, but I don't think XC2 content already in the game lowers his chances. We have no idea yet what the second DLC wave will be like, so drawing any type of conclusions regarding its contents is just silly.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Plus, we still need that Malos spirit. Not sure who they'd use to represent him. Ike or Ganondorf are my bets.

Or Shulk cause, you know, Monado.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i hope at the very least we get some more xenoblade mii outfits, zeke, morag, jin etc

Last edited:

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
Rex is far from guaranteed because he's a spirit/Mii costume and we've yet to see evidence that upgrades will happen for this pass.
Well think about this: Spirits havent truly deconfirmed anyone before. It never had the chance to. People only assume that it does, but the truth is, no one really knows if it does or not. There are also fighters in the game with those spirits and Rex could always get an Endgame spirit. There is also no Rex battle-tag in game, but there are ones of Pyra and Mythra.

Ontop of that, he was a Mii Fighter only because he couldn't make it into the base Roster, meaning there is still a big chance for him to get in.
As a plus to that, Byleth got in and his game is alot newer than Xenoblade Chronicles 2. So if he got in, and you put everything I just said together, then he should be a near guarantee for the 2nd pass. Xenoblade is one of Sakurai's favorites after all. Which is another reason Byleth got in, because Sakurai loves Fire Emblem. (He was seen there hanging up posters behind himself and he was counting away all the games Fire Emblem games he knew of and probably played.)

Last edited:

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
I never understood why everyone is so convinced that Spirits disprove characters. Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in Smash 4 and look what happened there. And that was more substantial content. I highly doubt that a JPG is the linchpin when Nintendo and/or Sakurai are deciding on new additions. I think the fact that no DLC character has had a Spirit previously is purely coincidental.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Trust me, I'm all for upgrades and am actively hoping they come to fruition for this pass, but I see no reason to believe they're happening until I see proof.

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
A character with a spirit/Mii costume/assist trophy becoming playable, duh.
Ya could've been more specific.. that seems like foreign language to me when it comes to the pass. (or well, you could've said "updates" instead of "upgrades")
But anyways, what I said should be proof enough. lol
Although there is one other thing I forgot to mention: The purchase for the Second Pass is a Link Mii fighter but with the Ancient Gear set. Link is already in the game. So that too should increase his chances further. He has it all going for him. But if ya dont wanna believe that, then you're free to believe whatever. -shrug-

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Trust me, I'm all for upgrades and am actively hoping they come to fruition for this pass, but I see no reason to believe they're happening until I see proof.
As has been pointed out, we kind of already have proof it can happen with Mewtwo and Lucas.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I see no reason to believe they're not happening either, there's no proof for either conclusion when it comes to the second fighters pass.

Ya could've been more specific.. that seems like foreign language to me when it comes to the pass. (or well, you could've said "updates" instead of "upgrades")
"Spirit upgrades" or upgrades in general (Mii costumes, assist trophies) is a pretty common term here, considering you're new it's not too surprising you didn't know but now you do!

Rex4Smash

Smash Cadet
"Spirit upgrades" or upgrades in general (Mii costumes, assist trophies) is a pretty common term here, considering you're new it's not too surprising you didn't know but now you do!
I see..

I see no reason to believe they're not happening either, there's no proof for either conclusion when it comes to the second fighters pass.
You mean in regards to whether or not he will or wont be in yeah?
I mean what I said seems to have him lean more into getting in Smash.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
True, but Rex is by no means a lock even if upgrades are on the table.

I'd rather not get my hopes up for his inclusion too much only to have them crushed yet again, y'know?

Top Bottom