• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Not really.

Legions can be directly controlled in Astral Chain while Blades cannot. (I mean, you can in Torna, but we’re talking base game here.)

Additionally, Blades have passive effects and Special attacks. While Legions do have special attacks, only two can be used at a time. Additionally, the Legion’s Chain can be used to the player’s advantage (wrapping enemies in it to stun them with Chain Bind, slinging them back with Chain Counter) while Affinity is more akin to a power-up.
Right. And cross series echoes are impossible

The only exception was Ganondorf from Falcon and that was years ago, he is also decloned even further since Brawl.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
If we do get Rex (which I feel extremely confident in now), I doubt they'll be named "Rex & Pyra" simply because putting both of them on one amiibo would be really difficult. She'll be there, and she'll be part of the moveset, but it'll just be named "Rex."

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well Smash Chars are mostly played according how they feel instead how they actually play in their games. Just look to joker - his mechanics fit his fantasy but not at all how personas work in the game.

And considering that Rex&Pyra do the tag-team attacks in all their cutscenes i am willing to bet a lot of money that they will also fighting that way in smash (if they were ever to be included.)
well one the other main reasons why the legionare cant be a rex echoes due to the fact that thier weapons are very different and their partners, pyra/mythra and all five legions, are even more different meaning theyd have to change just about everything to get them to work

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
If we do get Rex (which I feel extremely confident in now), I doubt they'll be named "Rex & Pyra" simply because putting both of them on one amiibo would be really difficult. She'll be there, and she'll be part of the moveset, but it'll just be named "Rex."
Yeah. I would expect Rex on the Amiibo alone at best. Trying to get any Aegis on the stand with him would be a bit much.

Which is fair, both Aegises already have figures of their own.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Honestly all of this makes me anxious and nervous similar to the way it was last year. Yeah they have a chance, but what if Sakurai says that Mii costumes are good representation for the character and they need nothing else, or that third party characters should take priority once again. I want to have hope, but I don't really want to go through the disappointment twice if it happens.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honestly all of this makes me anxious and nervous similar to the way it was last year. Yeah they have a chance, but what if Sakurai says that Mii costumes are good representation for the character and they need nothing else, or that third party characters should take priority once again. I want to have hope, but I don't really want to go through the disappointment twice if it happens.
I notice that when this sort of thing happens to Shantae fans, it largely just seems to galvanize them to push even harder. Just a thought.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I notice that when this sort of thing happens to Shantae fans, it largely just seems to galvanize them to push even harder. Just a thought.
This, there is a reason OperationElysium has close to 400 people backing them since the summer time. They want that salvager and his godly woman.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
This, there is a reason OperationElysium has close to 400 people backing them since the summer time. They want that salvager and his godly woman.
Is that many? I dont have twitter so I dont know how many peeople normally support such kind of things.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
They are in, their ONE drawback which prevented them from joining can be ignored now.
Rex & Aegis in the character select screen sounds about right if you ask me.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
They are in, their ONE drawback which prevented them from joining can be ignored now.
Rex & Aegis in the character select screen sounds about right if you ask me.
Their chances are definitely looking much better than before but nothing is guaranteed, my man. I suggest that we all keep low expectations to avoid being disappointed again.

Like the wise man once said:

"Let's not lose our heads, though!"

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Right. And cross series echoes are impossible

The only exception was Ganondorf from Falcon and that was years ago, he is also decloned even further since Brawl.

Well there were a ot of things that we thought are impossible. Like Non Nintendo Third Parties or Characters from Western Games. And all of them got broken sooner or later

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well there were a ot of things that we thought are impossible. Like Non Nintendo Third Parties or Characters from Western Games. And all of them got broken sooner or later
Given the sheer amount of backlash surrounding the idea of Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone, and how long it took for them to change that enough to make Ganondorf feel like Ganondorf (it took seventeen years for them to let Ganondorf attack with his sword instead of holding it up as a taunt), I don't think they're going to do something like that again.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
There's no way he's not making it in unless Sakurai wants to make the next DLC all third parties again. He wanted to add him in the initial game but time constraints got in the way, he's pretty much at the top of first part priorities at this point.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Given the sheer amount of backlash surrounding the idea of Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone, and how long it took for them to change that enough to make Ganondorf feel like Ganondorf (it took seventeen years for them to let Ganondorf attack with his sword instead of holding it up as a taunt), I don't think they're going to do something like that again.
But that was because Ganondorf had literally nothing to do with Captain Falcon. On the other side from what I see, Rex&Pyra operate quite similiar to Akira&Legion with the biggest difference beeing that one pair is connected through an energy chain and the other one through a real chain. On the contryside I see quite the problem to add Akira&Legion after Rex&Pyra because on how similiar they are. But I will go through the new Akira thread to see if they have any other recognizable differences.... and will go buying Astral Chain ... once I am finished with Three Houses ..... and Dragon Quest XI .....

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Something that I just noticed:

A lot of people think that the paid mii costumes introduced in Ultimate can't become playable characters, as introducing the character would give people no reason to purchase the mii costume counterpart. For what it's worth I actually agree with this hence why I don't see us getting characters like Goemon in the near future.

This however doesn't affect Rex since his mii costume was just a free/unpurchasable bonus for those who bought the season pass. So at the end of the day the mii costume itself means practically nothing especially with Sakurai acknowledging that Rex is a big request.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Something that I just noticed:

A lot of people think that the paid mii costumes introduced in Ultimate can't become playable characters, as introducing the character would give people no reason to purchase the mii costume counterpart. For what it's worth I actually agree with this hence why I don't see us getting characters like Goemon in the near future.

This however doesn't affect Rex since his mii costume was just a free/unpurchasable bonus for those who bought the season pass. So at the end of the day the mii costume itself means practically nothing especially with Sakurai acknowledging that Rex is a big request.
Huh. I was about to ask about that. Thanks for bringing it to light.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Is that many? I dont have twitter so I dont know how many peeople normally support such kind of things.
Compare that to most Smash campaigns out there, it is pretty huge.

Only Operation Starfall, the Allied Adepts, and Shadow News are much bigger. Like in the thousands rage.

Still, more people are going on board with pushing for Rex.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Compare that to most Smash campaigns out there, it is pretty huge.

Only Operation Starfall, the Allied Adepts, and Shadow News are much bigger. Like in the thousands rage.

Still, more people are going on board with pushing for Rex.
Ah thats good to know. Because the number sounded quite small when compared to the millions that buyed and still play Smash ultimate.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I'm not sure Sakurai was aware that Rex was a big request or that he even has definitive data that Rex is a big request now, other than XC2 sales figures. His reasoning for being interested in adding Rex to the roster was seemingly formed on his own from what I could tell and perhaps influenced by the game's success. He liked the game and I believe he's a fan of the series as well. If it's up to him and this next pass is actually opening the flood gates to Nintendo properties... yes, Rex and the Aegis have a very good chance.

But even as the optimist I am, I've been in these groups long enough to know that when anything is possible... nothing is certain. We may yet see that the next pass is all 3rd parties for all we know or it isn't but Rex manages to miss out anyways. It's not as if there isn't any other viable or creative new characters to pick for Smash out there.

That said.. I dearly wish for Rex and Aegis to make it. All I can do is wait and see. I think the odds are in their favor.. but then I thought that before pass 1.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
If Rex made it as playable, I wouldn't mind seeing Zeke as an Echo Fighter of Cloud. Since he has a similar fighting stance, it could work. What I personally don't like about Cloud's playstyle is that he's a little too slippery for me. Ergo, I would like Zeke's movement to be more firmly-rooted.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I'm not sure Sakurai was aware that Rex was a big request or that he even has definitive data that Rex is a big request now, other than XC2 sales figures. His reasoning for being interested in adding Rex to the roster was seemingly formed on his own from what I could tell and perhaps influenced by the game's success. He liked the game and I believe he's a fan of the series as well. If it's up to him and this next pass is actually opening the flood gates to Nintendo properties... yes, Rex and the Aegis have a very good chance.

But even as the optimist I am, I've been in these groups long enough to know that when anything is possible... nothing is certain. We may yet see that the next pass is all 3rd parties for all we know or it isn't but Rex manages to miss out anyways. It's not as if there isn't any other viable or creative new characters to pick for Smash out there.

That said.. I dearly wish for Rex and Aegis to make it. All I can do is wait and see. I think the odds are in their favor.. but then I thought that before pass 1.
I don’t know about that, Rex is easily a character that can be made as a viable option as dlc for casual and competitive players. They kinda already assume this by boldly making his Mii costume a bonus for the fighter’s pass. If Rex is given that much attention for not being in the game in a direct instead of some off screen interview, they definitely see him as walking Nintendo bucks. I mean his gimmick is using waifus and Nintendo is all for it.

Rex also represents Nintendo’s new image and some switch-original representation (breath of the wild barely counts so only Mario Odyssey is true switch representation). It’s sorta why I think Octolings are inevitably coming to smash as well.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don’t know about that, Rex is easily a character that can be made as a viable option as dlc for casual and competitive players. They kinda already assume this by boldly making his Mii costume a bonus for the fighter’s pass. If Rex is given that much attention for not being in the game in a direct instead of some off screen interview, they definitely see him as walking Nintendo bucks. I mean his gimmick is using waifus and Nintendo is all for it.

Rex also represents Nintendo’s new image and some switch-original representation (breath of the wild barely counts so only Mario Odyssey is true switch representation). It’s sorta why I think Octolings are inevitably coming to smash as well.
This.

The stars are indeed in his favor. We just got to make our voices be heard.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

I mean, nothing you said in the first paragraph is something I'd disagree with.. with the possible exception that Nintendo is specifically concerned with cashing in on waifus in Smash. I think with this Smash DLC their choices were more nuanced in terms of reasoning out inclusions. I don't think this means Rex/Aegis's chances are any worse or better regardless of their DLC approach tho.

Also.. like I said in my prior post.. nothing is exactly certain. As much as you could say that Rex represents something that other Nintendo properties don't and he's "inevitable"... while it feels right it doesn't mean it will come to be right. I have hope it will be but I don't think I can guess at the reasons why it will or will not happen. People often claim some reason why it ought to happen, but in general Nintendo doesn't do things for a singular reason. As well as the odds may be stacked in our favor.. we still just gotta get lucky. Nintendo is a very unpredictable beast. The moment you say something must happen is the moment they do the thing you'd have never guessed.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately with nintendo we never can be sure. And Sakurai stating they are completly in Charge deciding who gets in is a little bumper to me. But the hope is still high.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Unfortunately with nintendo we never can be sure. And Sakurai stating they are completly in Charge deciding who gets in is a little bumper to me. But the hope is still high.
So what characters does Nintendo want in smash? I mean it’s likely something they want to promote some big indie game or another new nintendo rep (likely for Splattoon as that is supposed to be their new big franchise in a league higher than Donkey Kong, Starfox, and Metroid). They always give their own big series at least two reps. In smash ultimate, they may need to do this with Rex, Kosmos, Octolings because their franchises are underrepresented in Smash’s biggest game (as a nintendo-only thing). So there are no new Mario reps, Zelda reps, Starfox reps, Metriod reps, Kid Icarus reps, Mother reps, Fire Emblem reps, and maybe no new Pokémon reps.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So what characters does Nintendo want in smash? I mean it’s likely something they want to promote some big indie game or another new nintendo rep (likely for Splattoon as that is supposed to be their new big franchise in a league higher than Donkey Kong, Starfox, and Metroid). They always give their own big series at least two reps. In smash ultimate, they may need to do this with Rex, Kosmos, Octolings because their franchises are underrepresented in Smash’s biggest game (as a nintendo-only thing). So there are no new Mario reps, Zelda reps, Starfox reps, Metriod reps, Kid Icarus reps, Mother reps, Fire Emblem reps, and maybe no new Pokémon reps.
i dont think you can put kid icarus on the same level as the others

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
not for now ... but with a sequel to uprising hopefully in development.... maybe in the future?

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Rex and Impa are equally my most wanted first-party characters from an already represented franchise in smash.

Also I'm going to be a parasite and ask Altais Altais if the OP will be updated soon, if so add me as a supporter

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Crap, I meant to update the OP ages ago, but was just swamped with studies. That said, I'll try to get to it this weekend.

Sorry, but I don't do support lists. I just don't really see the point in them, other than maybe bragging rights for the "I was wrong" threads. That said, you're free to create your own support list; I just won't add it to the OP.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I dont know if we already have discussed it ... but we dont know any rules for the next dlcfighters so they might even come with echo fighters. So how about Lora and Jin as an echo? Lora has a similiar size to Rex. Jin probably need to shrink a little but is also a 2h sword wielder with magic. And with a nice paint job you can get away with depicting ice attacks as recolored fire attacks.

Oh and another question: How do you think will they adjust the logo of Xenoblade if Rex (or the sake of argument Elma) get an Invitation? I dont think that they will keep the monado as it has not really a presence in X or XC2.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I dont know if we already have discussed it ... but we dont know any rules for the next dlcfighters so they might even come with echo fighters. So how about Lora and Jin as an echo? Lora has a similiar size to Rex. Jin probably need to shrink a little but is also a 2h sword wielder with magic. And with a nice paint job you can get away with depicting ice attacks as recolored fire attacks.

Oh and another question: How do you think will they adjust the logo of Xenoblade if Rex (or the sake of argument Elma) get an Invitation? I dont think that they will keep the monado as it has not really a presence in X or XC2.
Malos has one and Shulk appears in XC2, so it doesn't seem weird to keep using that.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

My personal opinion is that there will be no echo fighters in the DLC. In the case of Lora and Jin, uh, doesn't Lora use a whip/punches and kicks?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Lora and Jin have a much different fighting style than Rex/Aegis and also use different weapons. I don't see them working as echo fighters.

As for the logo, I could see the Aegis' Core Crystal working for Rex if the Monado symbol is that much of a problem.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Considering Fire Emblem's logo is Marth's sword which doesn't appear at all in Roy's and Ike's games and while it appears in Awakening as Chrom and Lucina's sword, it was given a redesigned so it barely resembles the sword Marth used ages ago. I highly doubt the Monado would cause any issue with Rex or anyone else from Xenoblade outside of the first game.

Plus, there's the Star Fox logo being the Team Star Fox logo. Wolf uses it despite not being a member of Team Star Fox.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
You might be able to make a case for Addam as an echo fighter of Rex if he used both Mythra and Pyra as Rex likely would... but Lora as a echo would be really awkward and not a move I see Sakurai and team making. Her two blades would be really different from the Aegis/her associated weapon type, not to mention her own unique to XC2 whips and kicks fighting style. She'd also more likely be a full swap character using Torna's battle mechanics... (tho Rex could adopt this style as his own quite effectively without it being too awkward, reflecting some cinematic gameplay from maingame). She would definitely fit better as her own character and I'm not sure its worth stripping her of her identity just to force her into the game in lieu of having her as a full fighter.

Perhaps painfully, I have to admit I'd want her as her own unique thing or not at all, and I think Sakurai would feel the same(?)... so she's probably not a safe bet in a limited pool of worthy inclusions. We'll be lucky to get Rex, and if we get another unique xeno rep after him it's probably KOS-MOS, Elma, or Fiora or something, imo. But who knows really? I dont. These are just guesses I've estimated as safer than others but I've been totally wrong before, lol.

edit: Also, I doubt they'd change the Monado symbol.. but I'd vote for Zohar if they did. The only xeno game that shape hasn't appeared in in a significant way is the original Xenoblade game. And I'd bet on it retcon cameoing in the definitive edition, just to more deeply establish the connection.
I can see it possibly appearing on Alvis or as the conduit in the Klaus scene

edit2: Heh, I just said in a many more words what Tito said basically.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
It's amazing how much people will cling to Rex, he was literally deconfirmed right out the gates of release as a bonus DLC Mii costume.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
It's amazing how much people will cling to Rex, he was literally deconfirmed right out the gates of release as a bonus DLC Mii costume.
Are you gonna visit all the threads and tell them their character has no chance?

I think plenty of characters people want are incredibly unlikely but at least I keep it to myself and don’t **** on their parade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom