• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeesh, I certainly hope Spirits don't exclude characters from playability. At the rate we're going, the "all DLC characters are third party" rumor is getting more and more credibility if that's the case.

Granted, I'm not necessarily against that, but I'm not the majority of people.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Yeesh, I certainly hope Spirits don't exclude characters from playability. At the rate we're going, the "all DLC characters are third party" rumor is getting more and more credibility if that's the case.

Granted, I'm not necessarily against that, but I'm not the majority of people.
I would like at least 1 first party character, but all 3rd party I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to depending on who they are. There are some characters I just don't want.

ADAS20

Smash Cadet
im sure edelgard is a lock though. she can be fine as long as she isnt a marth template

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am of the opinion that Sakurai was not given Rex as one of the DLC option, but rather Pyra and Mythra, so he made Rex and Nia a mii fighter outfit. I mean think about it, why would Pyra only be a spirit when she is arguable the face of the new game? Sakurai wanted a rep from the series, was told by nintendo Pyra and Mythra would sell more(and lets be honest they would) but also wanted to put rex and Nia in the game, so made them mii costumes. I would think he would have also made Pyra and Mythra mii costumes as well given their popularity, but as just a spirit I feel thats a hint at her and Mythra being DLC fighters

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, having a unique moveset worked so well for Corrin.
I think people felt it was an obvious cash grab. Looking back COrrin is very unique but people didn't like the idea of another FE character(already got Roy) plus it was for the new game. Plus people were expecting the DLC to all be chosen by the Ballot.

With Nintendo choosing I think people are more open to Edelgard. Plus she uses an Ax. But will Nintendo see the bit of backlash from Corrin and not put them in? who knows

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I am of the opinion that Sakurai was not given Rex as one of the DLC option, but rather Pyra and Mythra, so he made Rex and Nia a mii fighter outfit. I mean think about it, why would Pyra only be a spirit when she is arguable the face of the new game? Sakurai wanted a rep from the series, was told by nintendo Pyra and Mythra would sell more(and lets be honest they would) but also wanted to put rex and Nia in the game, so made them mii costumes. I would think he would have also made Pyra and Mythra mii costumes as well given their popularity, but as just a spirit I feel thats a hint at her and Mythra being DLC fighters
Mythra is also not a spirit as far as I'm aware and she could also bring some Torna music, if vanilla Xenoblade 2 music being already in the game "hurts" Rex

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because fire emblem is popular, and has a better chance for reps than Pikmin, Metroid, or Bayonetta
yes but there are more popular franchise with games coming next year as well and yet nobody seems convinced that luigi's mansion 3, yoshi's crafted world and animal crossing switch will get characters

and theyve never had a character for the purposes of promotion before

ADAS20

Smash Cadet
yes but there are more popular franchise with games coming next year as well and yet nobody seems convinced that luigi's mansion 3, yoshi's crafted world and animal crossing switch will get characters

and theyve never had a character for the purposes of promotion before
Every character is promotion in the game.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Okay, Ive seen people go back and forth about the Rex costume deconfirming Rex & Pyra but I've never seen any talk about the music tracks. So, what do you guys think about it? I mean why include music tracks if they were already going to bundle it in a DLC pack that would have included Rex & Pyra?

Midnight Torch

Smash Cadet
Okay, Ive seen people go back and forth about the Rex costume deconfirming Rex & Pyra but I've never seen any talk about the music tracks. So, what do you guys think about it? I mean why include music tracks if they were already going to bundle it in a DLC pack that would have included Rex & Pyra?
I find it weird that they missed some of the more iconic songs from Xenoblade 2, like Zeke's theme or Counterattack. They could be saving them for DLC. Then again, why add X2 music in the first place if you planned DLC.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Tbh, the music included in the game already from XC2 is some of the more pedestrian selections. Any of the unused boss/unique monster tracks of the battle themes available to chose from are generally more favored by the fans. And then there's the big cinematic pieces like Counterattack and the option to include region tracks. If any kind of XC2 DLC comes out, you can count on there being a lot more music. What we've been shown so far doesn't hurt anything imo. If anything it's just a tease of a promise of much more, because we all know XC2 has so much more to offer.

This all said, nothing is certain and if this is it for XC2 it would be a big miss imo and disappointing for the fans... but still better than nothing. The idea that all the remaining DLC is third party wouldn't be entirely surprising for the kind of big names you could mine from a list like that - stuff more people would pay for... but the thing with Nintendo choosing the reps makes that seem less likely. I see Nintendo promoting more of it's own stuff given the chance. What it would choose, not sure. I'd love for Rex to get the nod, but perhaps Nintendo feels that ship has sailed and it would benefit them more to promote something on the horizon. At the same time, the success of XC2 and the Xeno series cementing itself as something of big "near flagship" franchise on Nintendo consoles now might mean Nintendo wants to tap into that growing fanbase as they're just coming off the Torna high and wanting more Xenoblade stuff in their life, heh.

I can't predict the outcome, but of all the characters I've ever supported in my history on this site... I've never felt a character has had so many things going in their favor. Compared to the competitors, it's hard to say anyone has better odds. I don't think anything is really a hard deconfirm that I've seen or even a light one... just, a question mark really. But favorable odds are still only odds and not anything close to a confirm. Expect the unexpected when it comes to Sakurai and Nintendo in general.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
There's only three XB2 songs, but don't forget that's three more songs than XCX got. To me it seems like there's the "tier 1" franchises that get new items/music in the game and the "tier 2" franchises that just keep their existing content. Xenoblade is nearly in that "tier 2" group with the likes of Punch-Out/Wario/Ice Climber and the only exception is the added XB2 content (costumes and music). Just take a look at the music page on the website; franchises there all seem to be getting a minimum of two songs, while others have nothing. You could argue it's preparing Xenoblade to be bumped up to "tier 1" or you could argue it's a consolation prize

Mythra is also not a spirit as far as I'm aware and she could also bring some Torna music, if vanilla Xenoblade 2 music being already in the game "hurts" Rex
I'd bet that Mythra needs to be 'evolved' from Pyra.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There's only three XB2 songs, but don't forget that's three more songs than XCX got. To me it seems like there's the "tier 1" franchises that get new items/music in the game and the "tier 2" franchises that just keep their existing content. Xenoblade is nearly in that "tier 2" group with the likes of Punch-Out/Wario/Ice Climber and the only exception is the added XB2 content (costumes and music). Just take a look at the music page on the website; franchises there all seem to be getting a minimum of two songs, while others have nothing. You could argue it's preparing Xenoblade to be bumped up to "tier 1" or you could argue it's a consolation prize

It's hard to add new content related to a series when new releases don't come in a timely manner.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee

Yeah you need a simpleton stone to trigger the evolution :p

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
If you aren't aware of the datamine leaks, a lot of stuff got leaked, basically everything but DLC and the cinematic for cutscenes.

But enough about that, I don't know if this will improve his chances or not.

But... as it turns out, Rex's Mii costume is actually in the base data of the game... meaning that buying the fighter pass simply unlocks something already on the cartridge and doesn't download something entirely new into your game.

I'm disappointed to see Nintendo stoop down to paid "disc" locked content regardless actually, even if it's a "bonus" for buying the pass to five DLC characters.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
If you aren't aware of the datamine leaks, a lot of stuff got leaked, basically everything but DLC and the cinematic for cutscenes.

But... as it turns out, Rex's Mii costume is actually in the base data of the game... meaning that buying the fighter pass simply unlocks something already on the cartridge and doesn't download something entirely new into your game.

I'm disappointed to see Nintendo stoop down to paid "disc" locked content regardless actually, even if it's a "bonus" for buying the pass to five DLC characters.
I just don't understand the reason to do this. Not even saying this to support Rex, but it's just really odd. He could have given Rex the Springman treatment and put it in the base game. Nia already has a costume after all. It makes no sense besides a Xenoblade character possibly being DLC. IDK, it just seems like a stab to Xenoblade fans if he isn't.

ADAS20

Smash Cadet
I just don't understand the reason to do this. Not even saying this to support Rex, but it's just really odd. He could have given Rex the Springman treatment and put it in the base game. Nia already has a costume after all. It makes no sense besides a Xenoblade character possibly being DLC. IDK, it just seems like a stab to Xenoblade fans if he isn't.
Yeah Sakurai has been really weird with rex

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well seeing that its now very likely Spirits do deconfirm characters ( Pirahna Plant is absent out of 1300 choices), we should be atleast glad Sakurai apologised and explained why Rex didn't make it in and he atleast gave us some content from that game.

Xenoblade X honestly got it way more rough, because they don't even acknowledge that the X spirits are from X, while even more niché games get that privilege

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
What are the chances of Jin and Lora or Cross? 1.5%?

Edit: But seriously if they are deconfirmed due to Spirits then I don't see a Xenoblade character getting added at all.

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Well seeing that its now very likely Spirits do deconfirm characters ( Pirahna Plant is absent out of 1300 choices), we should be atleast glad Sakurai apologised and explained why Rex didn't make it in and he atleast gave us some content from that game.
Ehh, i still don't know about that. Not every playable character is a Spirit but there are playable characters as Spirits (in particular, Wii Fit, K.Rool, Mario and Sonic).

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think that he feels like he would actually push some sales, at least that is my only explanation for it.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Ehh, i still don't know about that. Not every playable character is a Spirit but there are playable characters as Spirits (in particular, Wii Fit, K.Rool, Mario and Sonic).
That argument sadly is near dead to.

Wii Fit is confirmed to have 9 spirits total, 2 of those are the fighter spirits, the other 7 are poses( treepose, deep breath etc.)

King K.rool is listed as a fighter spirit, while Kaptain K.rool is a regular spirit

The other Samus Spirits are named after the suits (Fusion Suit, Dark Suit, Light Suit etc.)

Mario same as Samus

D

Deleted member

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but technically speaking isn't it possible that you can get the Rex costume through normal means without the fighter pass? Seems to me like that's the case. Buying the pass just gets you the costume faster.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but technically speaking isn't it possible that you can get the Rex costume through normal means without the fighter pass? Seems to me like that's the case. Buying the pass just gets you the costume faster.
You mean like how you can unlock Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Vegeta in FighterZ by either preordering the game, beating certain arcades or collecting enough Zeni?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
That argument sadly is near dead to.

Wii Fit is confirmed to have 9 spirits total, 2 of those are the fighter spirits, the other 7 are poses( treepose, deep breath etc.)

King K.rool is listed as a fighter spirit, while Kaptain K.rool is a regular spirit

The other Samus Spirits are named after the suits (Fusion Suit, Dark Suit, Light Suit etc.)

Mario same as Samus
Well there weren't any other trophies of playable characters in Smash For except alternate forms, but still Lucas and Mewtwo, who both had normal trophies of them, still managed to be playable as DLC while nobody else on the base roster also had a regular trophy of theme. The same could very well happen with Utlimate and its Spirits.
And about Piranha Plant not being a Spirit, it probably has to do with the fact that it was developed alongside the main game, to the point of being shown a full month before release and is planned to be avaiable just two months after the game hits stores (which is astonishing considering that even a veteran like Mewtwo took around 6 months to be made from scratch). I think it should be considered on par with the base roster.

D

Deleted member

You mean like how you can unlock Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Vegeta in FighterZ by either preordering the game, beating certain arcades or collecting enough Zeni?
I haven't picked up fighterz yet, so in the realm of a game we've both played, think of it in the same vein as in Smash 4 with the Mii Fighter hats of Samus and Captain Falcon's Helmets. Those were in the game from the get go and able to be unlocked via the same methods as any other hat. But when the DLC pack dropped that had the sets of both suit AND helmet for both characters, you would just unlock those pieces of headgear automatically upon buying the DLC pack.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
No, the fighter pass is the only way to unlock the Rex Mii costume and I don't see it changing.

Personally I don't think spirits deconfirm characters die to a plentiful of points already shared besides the fact it'd shoot way too many characters off the table, and well... even if we do KOS-MOS from Xenosaga doesn't have one so she's probably our best bet at this point for a new Xeno series's rep. Though I do admit there are some characters that are oddly missing from the Sprit list such as Sylux from the Metroid Series, the most popular of the other bounty hunters in the series and arguably the fourth most popular in the Metroid fan base and the Smash speculation side of things. As Kanden, Trace, and Grandaya are spirits while the popular guy whose most likely getting a role in Metroid Prime 4 doesn't get a spirit. While it certainly may not mean anything it's still an eyebrow raiser regardless if spirits deconfirm or not, i for one will still be hoping for Rex and with the info there's 30 empty character slots (that may mean nothing) if the first pass of DLC goes well we may get a second season as well seeming as Nintendo wants to push DLC. Do I think it will be spearheaded by Sakurai for a second season? No, the dude has a new IP to work on after smash so he might put someone he trusts in charge or Nintendo puts someone else in charge while he goes to work on that. But knowing the work-a-holic Sakurai is he may end up just doing both projects at the same time.

Top Bottom