• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well I'm still hoping Rex will get announced soon, we have (3 months to go!) To hype us up more, I took a page from the Elmas, and I was bored and made a Discord Server for us to chat about Rex too. Feel free to join and continue to support! https://discord.gg/ZN8b5UN

Apparently Verge leaked Isabelle, perhaps he may leak Rex in the future?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76881166

Read this link! He basically confirmed Isabelle.
Cool, but I'm gonna avoid it until the 21st for obvious reasons.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Cool, but I'm gonna avoid it until the 21st for obvious reasons.
Why wait until the 21st? You're talking about the leak thread? I mean it's nothing special really. None of the Xenoblade Characters were leaked in that post. But we can only be hopeful.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Why wait until the 21st? You're talking about the leak thread? I mean it's nothing special really. None of the Xenoblade Characters were leaked in that post. But we can only be hopeful.
No, Im talking about Torna. I'm avoiding anything Xenoblade related.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
No, Im talking about Torna. I'm avoiding anything Xenoblade related.
Ah, I see. I'm not going to give Torna a whirl until I either complete 2, or get further in it at least.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I highly recommend finishing 2 first since it's the meat of the story.

xenoblade-chronicles-2-chapter-9-and-10-3.png

When the time comes, feel free to use this image.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Ah, I see. I'm not going to give Torna a whirl until I either complete 2, or get further in it at least.
As Onitic pointed out, finish 2 first. Torna will spoil a lot of the story for you. I haven't played Torna yet, but from what I know I'd say finish chapter 8 before you play Torna. That's the safest part without beating the game.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Box means nothing I trust Famitsu's stage list more since all the stages will most likely be new ones from newcomers, so from 1 to 5 possible new characters?

D

Deleted member

1 to 5 possible new characters?
My guesses are:

Forest Maze for Geno
Either Ultra Space or Aether Paradise for Incineroar (or whoever the Sun/Moon Pokemon is. Though it's probably most likely that it's Incineroar)
Some kind of Golden Sun Stage for Isaac (Sol Sanctum? Venus Lighthouse? Not really sure yet.)
New Los Angeles for Elma
And while I'm not as confident in Shantae becoming playable as I am those previous 4, she is the next highest possibility I can think of out of newcomers that would bring a stage with them. So I'll say Scuttle Town.

Rex & Pyra I'm fairly confident we'll have to wait until DLC for (though they are one of the 4 characters I find to be most likely as DLC) but as for a stage they could bring with them via DLC, there are a handful of options.

Argentum
Uraya
Mor Ardain
Tantal
Leftheria
And while I can't envision this one until I start playing, and get farther in, the golden country, Torna may very well be an appealing stage idea. Though it is probably the least likely of these 6 options.

To address the elephant in the room, yes, I know Gormott is technically an option as well. But that would be too similar to Gaur Plain so I really hope they pick something else. Of the examples I listed, my favorite is Mor Ardain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'm surprised I haven't put down my support yet here, so... might as well do that now after Golden Country came out.

I support Rex getting into Ultimate (I will say though I'd like Pyra and Mythra to be there alongside him, like a reverse Pokémon trainer, with Pyra/Mythra being in the background while Rex is in the actual battlefield).

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
My guesses are:

Forest Maze for Geno
Either Ultra Space or Aether Paradise for Incineroar (or whoever the Sun/Moon Pokemon is. Though it's probably most likely that it's Incineroar)
Some kind of Golden Sun Stage for Isaac (Sol Sanctum? Venus Lighthouse? Not really sure yet.)
New Los Angeles for Elma
And while I'm not as confident in Shantae becoming playable as I am those previous 4, she is the next highest possibility I can think of out of newcomers that would bring a stage with them. So I'll say Scuttle Town.

Rex & Pyra I'm fairly confident we'll have to wait until DLC for (though they are one of the 4 characters I find to be most likely as DLC) but as for a stage they could bring with them via DLC, there are a handful of options.

Argentum
Uraya
Mor Ardain
Tantal
Leftheria
And while I can't envision this one until I start playing, and get farther in, the golden country, Torna may very well be an appealing stage idea. Though it is probably the least likely of these 6 options.

To address the elephant in the room, yes, I know Gormott is technically an option as well. But that would be too similar to Gaur Plain so I really hope they pick something else. Of the examples I listed, my favorite is Mor Ardain.
I really like your post, so here are some thoughts I had about it:
  • It might overlap a little with the Boxing Ring, but Battle Royal Dome would be perfect for Incineroar. Maybe make it not a walkoff to differentiate it?
  • While I'd like an NLA tour on the back of the airship they use at the beginning, I'd prefer for XCX's stage to be a tour of Mira on the back of a Skell. Imagine how gorgeous that might look.
  • Another consideration for Xenoblade Chronicles 2's stage is the back of Gramps, especially since it's where the game starts. Am I still salty about not getting Grima's back from FE:A? A little.
  • Likewise, Mor Ardain's ship flagship could also be a good stage, as it did travel to many of the locations ingame and might avoid being a swimming stage because it's so tall.
  • Also, my favorite choices are Othelo's Playhouse, you know, where Vandam made his stand, since it's where Mythra was awoken, and the Cliffs of Morytha where you battle Jin and Malos.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
As Onitic pointed out, finish 2 first. Torna will spoil a lot of the story for you. I haven't played Torna yet, but from what I know I'd say finish chapter 8 before you play Torna. That's the safest part without beating the game.
I would honestly finish 2 first. Although aspects of 2 will spoil TGC and how it turns out, TGC requires some knowledge from 2 to understand and also would spoil certain parts of 2 if you were to play it midway - there are also lots of nice references in TGC that you would need to play XC2 to get. Also, from a gameplay perspective, there are subtle changes but they make a big difference - it might get confusing if you switch at Chapter 8 rather than finishing it.

I won't spoil anything here, but I have to say as much as I loved TGC, you ultimately know its end point because of playing through 2.
That's why I really wanted post game DLC rather than a prequel.

I usually would discount what voice actors say. I say this less to be a damper, but rather because they are bound by contracts regarding there roles so they would usually not purposely give away major info.
I wish this meant something, but I don't think it does - I feel like she was just pushing XC2 rather than Golden Country or a new DLC.
I really do want another story DLC or a second expansion pass, I'd love to continue playing this game, but I feel like Monolith would probably go for a new project. It's a real shame, I want to see the continuation of Alrest with Rex & Pyra/Mythra.

Also, I know this board is supposed to be about discussing Rex & Pyra's possible inclusion in Smash, but there's so much XC2 I wanna talk about after finishing TGC

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Torna's combat is great, so I hope we get Team Rex as DLC that emulates Torna's combat, with Rex wielding his Junk Sword, Pyra, and Catalyst. Have Rex count as a Light Blade because he has half of Mythra's core crystal so his moveset can stand out more. For balancing Catalyst's healing properties you could make it so you only heal on hit to prevent stalling. And of course you have an obvious final smash in the level 4 special. It almost certainly won't happen because the base game doesn't play like Torna, Team Rex would be a 3 in 1 character, and the fact that Catalyst is major spoilers, but I can wish!

Last edited by a moderator:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Torna's combat is great, so I hope we get Team Rex as DLC that emulates Torna's combat, with Rex wielding his Junk Sword, Pyra, and Catalyst. Have Rex count as a Light Blade because he has half of Mythra's core crystal so his moveset can stand out more. For balancing Catalyst's healing properties you could make it so you only heal on hit to prevent stalling. And of course you have an obvious final smash in the level 4 special. It almost certainly won't happen because the base game doesn't play like Torna, Team Rex would be a 3 in 1 character, and the fact that Catalyst is major spoilers, but I can wish!
it would make more sense to have someone like addam have a moveset based on the golden country and for rex to have a moveset based on the main game

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
it would make more sense to have someone like addam have a moveset based on the golden country and for rex to have a moveset based on the main game
I don't think it would be a bad idea if you could switch between controlling blade and driver in a Smash move set, since they can do that in the main game (for specials and in cutscenes), just not on a permanent basis (e.g. maybe Rex passes the sword to Pyra for certain aerials or specials) I wouldn't want the Catalyst in the moveset though, as I feel Pyra and Mythra are more important to Rex and similar enough to not over complicate the moveset.

It's hard to think about this when we don't know how Rex would play if he got in - is he joined by Pyra/Mythra on the stage or are they relegated to a background element?
I personally think they should be on the stage and used for specials - I would hate for them to be treated as the Pokemon Trainer.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Yeah, thematically and mechanically it makes sense that both Rex and Pyra are the ones throwing out attacks. Rex and Pyra aren't my most wanted XB2 characters but they would probably pull off the Driver-Blade thing best, so it puzzles me when people ignore that for a bland Pokemon Trainer clone or the "proximity-based buffs" idea. As likely DLC fighters they'll probably benefit from having more attention put into them as well - I seriously doubt a base game character could get away with multiple movesets tied to form changes, but a DLC character very well could.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
  • Also, my favorite choices are Othelo's Playhouse, you know, where Vandam made his stand, since it's where Mythra was awoken

This also means we could actually maybe get Drifting Soul, even if only the violin version (which I happen to prefer actually):

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
As much as I love the idea of being able to play as both, I can't see how it would work in Smash without being clunky.

One of the things that sinks Shulk is how slow his moves come out, so Rex and Pyra alternating attacks if she followed him Ice Climber style would be too slow. Having her follow him around and be immune to damage would be obtrusive and wouldn't make much sense when switching to her- Rex isn't immune to damage when using Blade Arts (except combo finishers and IV).

If Pyra was in the background and they swapped, that could work, but it'd either be spastically fast or impractically slow. Unlike Pokemon Trainer quickly throwing balls, Rex and Pyra would have to lunge to whereever you're standing, which would look odd.

The only way I can see switching work in any way is if you control Pyra and can switch into Mythra (so either no Rex or him standing in the background doing nothing). That'd be fast and would resemble how it works in XC2.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Since it's Morag rather than a more major character, I'd say she's either talking about Torna (just as a nicety) or more from Torna. Not sure if its related to Smash. Morag is still one of the best characters in that game though.
An interesting interview has come out between Nintendo Life and the producers at Monolith Soft.
One thing that has been said is that there are no plans to further support Xenoblade 2 dlc - Torna was planned to be the final release.
They do later state that something 'surprising' carries over to the main game when you beat Torna, but unless they have an update in the pipeline, this can only mean
the artworks for the Torna characters in the Blade gallery

At the end of the interview, Takahashi says there are no firm plans to continue the SERIES. Now, I'm taking this with a grain of salt because Koh Kojima has already said before that he wants to make XC3 and XCX2, plus I think it would be crazy for them not continue the Xenoblade franchise given the success of XC2 and its rise in popularity. I hope this is PR speak and they just don't want to reveal anything yet. As cool as it would be to see new stuff from Monolith, I think they should pump out the Xenoblade stuff as much as they can while its fresh and let it grow.

It's a shame that Torna will be the last we see of Alrest - I know a lot of people wanted to see a continuation, which I doubt we would get with XC3 - but hopefully Sakurai will come through and give us Rex & Pyra.

If Rex gets a trailer this will start playing before Link dies.
Just had a thought for a trailer - going off the end of XC2...

Rex, Pyra and Mythra step off of Azurda and into a new world - it would look like a new XC reveal trailer, but instead they would enter the Battlefield!

PrincessToadstool

Smash Cadet
Rex & Pyra/Mythra has been a top pick for me since the Smash announcement right after Daisy. I'm praying Rex gets in, and I'm hoping Gramps is in the helmet because Gramps' is best boy!

I'd love if Rex & Pyra/Mythra got the switch mechanic from Torna, but also I'd love if Addam & Mythra got in as an echo of Rex & Pyra if they make it in.

Last edited:

Serene_Sky

Smash Rookie
Rex and Pyra would be an amazing addition to Smash Bros., they are one of my top picks. Also, the Xenoblade series needs more representation so I think they’d be perfect! (Along with Mythra maybe being half the alt skins too so you can pick between her and Pyra)
Even if they don’t make it into the base game, I have high hopes for them making it in as DLC.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Rex and Pyra would be an amazing addition to Smash Bros., they are one of my top picks. Also, the Xenoblade series needs more representation so I think they’d be perfect! (Along with Mythra maybe being half the alt skins too so you can pick between her and Pyra)
Even if they don’t make it into the base game, I have high hopes for them making it in as DLC.
At this point, I think they are more a lock for DLC rather than the base game - they are a little too new to have been in development. As long as they get in, I will be super happy.
I do like the idea of Pyra and Mythra being half of the alt skins as a way to pick them, but I think that cuts down the move potential for them, given that Pyra and Mythra's specials are completely different and you would lose the switch mechanic. I wouldn't be unhappy with them being selected as alts - as long as they're in!

Serene_Sky

Smash Rookie
At this point, I think they are more a lock for DLC rather than the base game - they are a little too new to have been in development. As long as they get in, I will be super happy.
I do like the idea of Pyra and Mythra being half of the alt skins as a way to pick them, but I think that cuts down the move potential for them, given that Pyra and Mythra's specials are completely different and you would lose the switch mechanic. I wouldn't be unhappy with them being selected as alts - as long as they're in!
Yeah I think so too! Although I’m still gonna try to have that little bit hope for them to make it in earlier.. If there is some kind of story mode in this game, I’d love for them to be included in it! Other than that I’ll be happy if they make it in as DLC as well, as long as I get to play them.
You have a good point actually, I would hope to be able to play as both Rex AND Pyra, and just the two of them would make the switch mechanic more simple.. Maybe there could be a way where Pyra and Mythra fight pretty much the same, with just aesthetically pleasing changes (such as their fire and light elements) since I’d assume they’d both be fighting with smiliar swords (or the same sword, forgive me if I’m forgetting)? Who knows, maybe I’m getting a little too into it here haha, but the possibilities are endless. :)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I definitely do think Rex is gonna get in for sure but not base. I say DLC is very likely. He and Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Yeah I think so too! Although I’m still gonna try to have that little bit hope for them to make it in earlier.. If there is some kind of story mode in this game, I’d love for them to be included in it! Other than that I’ll be happy if they make it in as DLC as well, as long as I get to play them.
You have a good point actually, I would hope to be able to play as both Rex AND Pyra, and just the two of them would make the switch mechanic more simple.. Maybe there could be a way where Pyra and Mythra fight pretty much the same, with just aesthetically pleasing changes (such as their fire and light elements) since I’d assume they’d both be fighting with smiliar swords (or the same sword, forgive me if I’m forgetting)? Who knows, maybe I’m getting a little too into it here haha, but the possibilities are endless. :)
I think they would need to implement them together, since that's how they play in the games. Pyra and Mythra could interchange with each other, the differences between them are their special moves (levels I-IV), their element type and their strength levels. Given that Mythra is canonically stronger than Pyra, I'm not sure that being able to switch on the fly would be balanced, since you would just use Mythra over Pyra - but, that's for Sakurai to work out.

I think a lot of people assume they would work like Pokemon Trainer or Ice Climbers on the field - I would have them operate closer to Ice Climbers, but have them be inseparable - for example, Rex would be the target hitbox and Pyra/Mythra would be behind him, but they wouldn't attack you automatically like Nana or Popo - for me, I would have certain aerials or smash attacks where Pyra or Mythra quickly grab the sword off Rex to perform an attack, be it a spiral aerial or extension of the fire/light in the sword. And when Rex is attacked or launched, Pyra and Mythra fly alongside him - they technically don't in the game, but I'm sure that's a detail that can be ignored for the sake of Smash.

There are tons of possibilities for them. I'm really interested to see how he would implement them. At this point, I just want the confirmation that they're getting in!

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Betting the first DLC will be a duo pack of newcomers. Rex will be one and the other will be a Dragon Quest character. So there will be a JRPG theme in regards to the first newcomers.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Recently started Xenoblade 2: Torna and so far I'm enjoying the combat system; it's a lot different from the main game. With less Blades to micromanage, it's a lot easier to commit things to memory. I think Team Hugo is mine favourite as of now.

If Rex does get added in Smash Ultimate, then I think Jin should definitely be the Assist Trophy of Xenoblade 2. He could either deal a lethal, blinding-fast strike or shoot a bunch of ice missiles at the opponents.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, guys, I JUST thought of a good aesthetic idea: what if the cross cut out of Pyra/Mythra’s Core Crystal, and by extension the Core Crystal on Rex, was reshaped like the Smash Bros cross if they made it in? How would that fit on an Aegis’ core crystal?

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Okay, guys, I JUST thought of a good aesthetic idea: what if the cross cut out of Pyra/Mythra’s Core Crystal, and by extension the Core Crystal on Rex, was reshaped like the Smash Bros cross if they made it in? How would that fit on an Aegis’ core crystal?
Huh, that would be pretty nifty change, especially since their isn’t a specific in-universe reason why the piece of Pyra/Mythra’s Core Crystal on Rex’s Chest is shaped like that; it’s just is.

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I think it would be neat for a trailer reveal - you get the smash cutout symbol as usual, but then it turns green and rotates from being a + to a X, zooms out and it's the Core crystal on Pyra's chest. That would be awesome.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Although I'm way too intimidated to play any of the Xenoblade games myself, I know for a fact that this series was to Smash 4 what Kid Icarus was to Brawl. As such, I think it'd be absolutely doable to have Elma in the base game, with Rex+Pyra as DLC.

So yeah, although they're not super high on my list, I support Rex+Pyra.

I highly recommend finishing 2 first since it's the meat of the story.

View attachment 164302

When the time comes, feel free to use this image.
>mfw I haven't played the game but I can tell based on the mythological reference what the joke is

Top Bottom