• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Mythra is fine as a spoiler, like people said she was official revealed in a direct as the Chapter 3 spoiler, before the game released

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
If they add the option of using both Mytha and Pyra how would we switch between their powers? Should we be using neutral b, like Shulk does to change his Monado? Or something more different!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If they add the option of using both Mytha and Pyra how would we switch between their powers? Should we be using neutral b, like Shulk does to change his Monado? Or something more different!
Switching between the two in their game is no more complicated than a simple button press, so there's no reason for that to be any different in Smash. Neutral Bs are usually reserved for the most straightforward or central part of a character, for Rex and his blade that would be the blade special. Switching can be a down b like Pokemon Trainer.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Oh, dear. I really need to update the OP. Haven't done so since I posted the damn thread.

Anyhow, now that mine summer classes are out of the way, I can finally get back to finishing that Rex moveset I've been writing. Also, can't wait until Xenoblade 2: Torna comes out.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If we got a XB2 stage, what would y’all want?

I would personally want a touring stage or the auction house.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Switching between the two in their game is no more complicated than a simple button press, so there's no reason for that to be any different in Smash. Neutral Bs are usually reserved for the most straightforward or central part of a character, for Rex and his blade that would be the blade special. Switching can be a down b like Pokemon Trainer.
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but what if they changed based on your damage percentage?
In XC2, Mythra will sometimes force you to change over to her from Pyra, if you take a bad hit, or you're not doing too well in battle (I'm not sure of the actual conditions).
Considering that Mythra is supposed to be much stronger than Pyra, and their specials are different, having Mythra take over at a certain percentage and making your attacks stronger, similar to Lucario but not accumulative, would be cool.
You would also save on a special move as you wouldn't need to use down B.
Thoughts?

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
If we got a XB2 stage, what would y’all want?

I would personally want a touring stage or the auction house.
Mor Ardain for the music, Uraya or Leftheria.

Gormott just looks too similar to Gaur Plains.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Mor Ardain for the music, Uraya or Leftheria.

Gormott just looks too similar to Gaur Plains.
I personally think they should use Uraya and just put all the music tracks for each Titan in
Also, add me to the supporters as well please

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Anyone think something will be announced when The Torna DLC is released?

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
How many of Smash's newcomers were actually revealed under those circumstances?
Well, none. But you never know! I'm sure there will be something smash related at the next Nintendo announcement. Isn't there going to be one soon-ish?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, none. But you never know! I'm sure there will be something smash related at the next Nintendo announcement. Isn't there going to be one soon-ish?
nothing so far but i a lot of people think there is based on previous years

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Anyone think something will be announced when The Torna DLC is released?
It's a possibility - I definitely think something will be announced in September, whether that be Rex/Pyra/Mythra or not. There's less than 16 weeks until the game is out, so if they are to reveal everything before release then they need to make more regular announcements - if it goes hand in hand with XC2's Torna release, then that's a bonus!

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
My only reason for not supporting Rex (other than supporting Elma (competition for base roster)) is how the gimmick of staying near Pyra/Mythra would be to much of a nuisance.

Smash bros is a fast platform fighter and letting a secondary character tag along with Rex will be adding micromanagement to a fighter. So rex would be weaker than your average fighter without a Blade and stronger with a Blade. What happens if your opponent rushes and separates you, Rex would be weaker almost all the time.
If you throw the Blade in as a background element (similar to Pkm trainer) he just becomes a Shulk clone/echo (which is another concept altogether from original).

If Rex does get in, I would be happy but I will be keeping a close eye on the gimmick.
Good luck Rex supporters.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
My only reason for not supporting Rex (other than supporting Elma (competition for base roster)) is how the gimmick of staying near Pyra/Mythra would be to much of a nuisance.

Smash bros is a fast platform fighter and letting a secondary character tag along with Rex will be adding micromanagement to a fighter. So rex would be weaker than your average fighter without a Blade and stronger with a Blade. What happens if your opponent rushes and separates you, Rex would be weaker almost all the time.
If you throw the Blade in as a background element (similar to Pkm trainer) he just becomes a Shulk clone/echo (which is another concept altogether from original).

If Rex does get in, I would be happy but I will be keeping a close eye on the gimmick.
I wouldn't want Rex as an echo of Shulk, just because their movesets in their original games are very different and you would be missing a lot of potential with Rex. But as much as I like the driver/blade mechanic in-game, I agree with you that it might not fit with Smash's fast pace. Hopefully they could adjust them enough so that it did work, but if it wasn't feasible then I would rather have Pyra separate, with Mythra as an echo.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wouldn't want Rex as an echo of Shulk, just because their movesets in their original games are very different and you would be missing a lot of potential with Rex. But as much as I like the driver/blade mechanic in-game, I agree with you that it might not fit with Smash's fast pace. Hopefully they could adjust them enough so that it did work, but if it wasn't feasible then I would rather have Pyra separate, with Mythra as an echo.
That doesn't work either, they have completely different moves. How are you going to make a sea of light appear with Prominence Revolt the way Pyra does with Blazing End, for example?

It's not like Pyra or Mythra are immobile when supporting Rex, and the affinity need not be too strict. Just make it's range wide enough or give it a decent grace period and you should only really lose it for getting knocked offstage. Having them fight separately just isn't true to the games.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
That doesn't work either, they have completely different moves. How are you going to make a sea of light appear with Prominence Revolt the way Pyra does with Blazing End, for example?

It's not like Pyra or Mythra are immobile when supporting Rex, and the affinity need not be too strict. Just make it's range wide enough or give it a decent grace period and you should only really lose it for getting knocked offstage. Having them fight separately just isn't true to the games.
That's true as well. Their specials are completely unique and a big part of what needs representing in their move sets.
The only thing you could echo with them is the arts (Sword Bash, Anchor shot) and even that is done by Rex. Like I said, if they get the affinity tether mechanic fitting into Smash, then this is how I would want them to play - as a pair (as you said, they need to be true to the games)
Echoing them would be a last resort for me, but I'm pretty sure Sakurai wouldn't miss the opportunity to make the most of their moveset - there is a lot of unique stuff here he could do with them.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think they could occupy the same locations that Pokemon Trainer does. You know, the background platform that appears in stages with insufficient ground. The blades can't normally be attacked after all, and launching an attack from the background would be pretty unique.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
My only question regarding theoretical movesets for Rex is that only a few of them utilize the Blade switch mechanic and focus on him and Pyra as a combo.

All they really would have to do is pull early party blades and implement them on to a base character that does not change in weight or movement but rather standard and special attack sets. A Reverse Shulk in execution.

Last edited:

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324

Their fighting styles are too different for Rex to be an echo of Shulk.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
I'm not reading that Spoiler since I'm stuck in Mor Ardain right now. I've lost to the boss there 5 times.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Out of curiosity what would you guys want to see a Rex and Pyra duo be more similair to, Pkmn trainer, Ice Climbers or Rosalina & Luma? personally i'm going for the Rosalina and Luma idea to have a move that recalls Pyra or any other Blades to Rex.

Just missed my chance to be 666th poster.... well at least I can be the 666th reply.

D

Deleted member

You know, another reason on why Rex & Pyra are among my most requested characters this time is also because of this:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Don't get me wrong, despite this leak and the fact :4shulk: has been officially revealed in a Japan-aimed Direct, I still have been ecstatic, pouring my overjoyness anywhere I can.

...But it still would have been even better if he wasn't spoiled.

And that's also why I request a Xenoblade newcomer so much, to feel that missing part of the joy I had when my most wanted newcomer ever has been confirmed.

And from the 2 subsequent Xenoblade games, I enjoyed XC2 the most, and Rex & Pyra are the faces of the game so here you go.

CloudedSun

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jay-Explosion
Switch FC
SW 8009 2151 5629
Not sure how to do a spoiler tag....

But I sure hope if Rex gets in that they give us his second outfit. It is so much cooler.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Out of curiosity what would you guys want to see a Rex and Pyra duo be more similair to, Pkmn trainer, Ice Climbers or Rosalina & Luma? personally i'm going for the Rosalina and Luma idea to have a move that recalls Pyra or any other Blades to Rex.

Just missed my chance to be 666th poster.... well at least I can be the 666th reply.
I would be interested in having the Pokemon Trainer set up, and using down b to switch between Pyra and Mythra, unlike shulk who uses Neutral b to switch Monados. maybe having Rex's specials change with them, maybe going from fire elementals to light elementals! Like having some kind of fire slash attack using neutral b instead turn into a light slash attack, once switched with down b.

Which boss are you stuck with? And what is your party setup?
It's the boss fight in the artifical blade factory versus the artifical blade I can't remember her name, she shoots a bunch of missiles once her HP gets lower, and I can't keep reviving them, and healing just isn't working, we are all level 30.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I would be interested in having the Pokemon Trainer set up, and using down b to switch between Pyra and Mythra, unlike shulk who uses Neutral b to switch Monados. maybe having Rex's specials change with them, maybe going from fire elementals to light elementals! Like having some kind of fire slash attack using neutral b instead turn into a light slash attack, once switched with down b.

It's the boss fight in the artifical blade factory versus the artifical blade I can't remember her name, she shoots a bunch of missiles once her HP gets lower, and I can't keep reviving them, and healing just isn't working, we are all level 30.
I think you're talking about Rosa? All I can say is make sure you are using aux cores and accessories that boost your parties health or agility if the missiles are taking too much HP. Also, try and use pouch items that increase affinity and party gauge fast - if your party gauge is full, you can use a chain attack (+ button) to cancel out the missiles the moment she uses them, or, if you're having to revive your party too much, build up a level 4 special and activate it the moment she initiates the attack, that will cancel out the attack and give you enough time to finish her off! :)

goldenswat

Smash Rookie
Looks awesome! I'll admit, I was expecting Rex to show up in smash at the end. Oh well, thats what I get from assuming.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Nothing against the desgins of the swimsuits themselves but I swear if they don't give him his master driver outfit, it's just so much more iconic and it's a visual representation of Rex's growth.

Speaking of which, do you happen to have a link to your avatar KiyoXDragon KiyoXDragon ?

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I recently started Xenoblade 2 and I've been really liking it so far. I definitely want Rex and Pyra in Smash, and having Mythra too would be cool. I'm in the middle of Chapter 4 right now, so I haven't had too much experience with Mythra yet, though. I'm not quite sure how they differ, other than lightning attacks rather than fire.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Although Rex was my least favorite driver in his game, I still loved Xenoblade 2 and it would be great to see it get any representation. That won’t stop me from quietly pulling for Nia instead.

Top Bottom