• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Their timing has always made them more of a DLC prospect in my eyes. So this doesn't exactly change anything many were assuming.

Besides, I think I'd be happier with a character designed from a more hands on experience from Sakurai, rather than something designed off maybe some early info he acquired. Any sort of story connection to the characters and their likability would come from having played the game himself. Plus, seeing the game's success post release could be an influence too. And last, more time to work on what would arguably be a character with complex mechanics and animations.
I completely agree. Rex is probably my most wanted newcomer but if he's going to be added in I want him to be added right. I don't doubt Sakurai's abilities so I'm not completely against him being in the base roster. However if him being DLC means that he will be a more creative interpretation of the character then I'd prefer that. I mean given how popular Xenoblade 2 has been, if Rex is not in the base roster there is no way he'll be skipped out as DLC in my eyes.

This is off on a tangent but I've always saw and hoped for Rex to be something as a reverse pokemon trainer. Using three blades to change his specials and the properties of his attacks. In this case, his blades would have to be three main story blades. I feel that if Rex doesn't use a blade swap mechanic in some form of fashion, it would be something of a disservice of the character (unless they use a character swap with Pyra like the new DLC).

MattX20

Smash Hero
I would agree completely if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 began development in late 2015 would be too late, however the game was in development longer than that, so I don't think Rex and Pyra's chances are entirely gone.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I don't think they're gone either... but if I were to rate their chance of inclusion, DLC is way more likely than base roster, imo. And like I said, I think Sakurai could do something more creative with more time, but who knows how early he may or may not have decided to work with them. If he decided very early to try and include them and got good info from the XC2 devs, he could have something ready. But I think the truly good material to work with is more evident within the game itself. Like, I could tell you all about Rex and Pyra and show you some pics, but I doubt you'd love them like you would after actually playing the game and understanding their depth both mechanically and as developed characters.

Either way, I think they're chances are good... eventually. But immediately? I'd be surprised if they were a base roster inclusion. I mean, it would be a nice surprise, but I'm kinda tempering expectations and assuming their shot is at DLC. If Wii U is anything to go on, I'm thinking DLC this time will have it's version of Corrin... a not crazy 3rd party inclusion representing a newer game. And Rex/Pyra I think have the popularity to sell that way. If not, they're getting in by the Greninja method basically, though maybe a bit more time and stuff to go on for Sakurai.

Edit:
I really love the reverse PT idea, btw, Homelessvagrant Homelessvagrant .
Just read it again and at first it seems like it would be too much. But then you consider that Rex would be the only character really changing and the blade animations could be relatively simple and not distracting from the character doing the fighting, similar to PT. Their presence would be more of a "visual indication" why or how Rex's properties changed. Though I wonder about spoilers if they go too deep. Sadly, I think it's a Pyra/Mythra pairing with Rex at best. But I'd definitely accept that. I don't want to get too greedy though, as amazing as that dream scenario would be.

Last edited:

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Understandable, just having the character in the game is already a win. However smash has taught me that Sakurai rarely compromises when it comes to representation and he has no issues with spoilers. It has been over a year since Xenoblade 2 came out after all and Sakurai has spoiled some elements of particular games before the game has even come out before. I personally don't expect much but I do have high hopes.

When it comes to Rex, I'm just curious to see what Sakurai has in store. As this board has shown there is many ways this character could be represented. I just hope blade swaps come into play in some form, even if it is just between Pyra and Mythra as a merely esthetic change.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Some might say this throws a wrench at us but we know the game was in development since 2015, I say we might have gotten ourselves into another Greninja style situation.
Source Gaming seems to have slipped up with the tweet. Here is what was actually said

On June 13th, I released a great deal of information concerning Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. “A 2018 release, can you really manage that?” I’ve been grappling with that question for a while, but I’ve earnestly – and silently – been working to make that happen. In the December of 2015 I put forth my first proposal for the game. I was still working on the DLC for the previous Super Smash Bros. game at the time, and I wouldn’tt even get together the staff for Ultimate until later.

Proposal and Plan are two different things. Also, was the "first" one. There is also no indication that this was when the roster was finalized.

By the by, this quote is from Nintendo Everything but Source Gaming uses the same word. Seems like reading more into it then is otherwise there.

MattX20

Smash Hero
AHA, that misquote pretty much means Pyra and Rex may actually be closer to base roster material after all

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Source Gaming seems to have slipped up with the tweet. Here is what was actually said

On June 13th, I released a great deal of information concerning Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. “A 2018 release, can you really manage that?” I’ve been grappling with that question for a while, but I’ve earnestly – and silently – been working to make that happen. In the December of 2015 I put forth my first proposal for the game. I was still working on the DLC for the previous Super Smash Bros. game at the time, and I wouldn’tt even get together the staff for Ultimate until later.

Proposal and Plan are two different things. Also, was the "first" one. There is also no indication that this was when the roster was finalized.

By the by, this quote is from Nintendo Everything but Source Gaming uses the same word. Seems like reading more into it then is otherwise there.
Well that just changes speculation.... again.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I mean, stay optomistic of course, but the roster (barring extra additions) is one of the first things finalized, so regardless of wording he probably had an idea about what he wanted it to be by then.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I mean, stay optomistic of course, but the roster (barring extra additions) is one of the first things finalized, so regardless of wording he probably had an idea about what he wanted it to be by then.
The reason I hate this line of thinking (or at least one reason) is that we have no idea what is actually happening behind closed doors. This whole timing the roster things relies on this weird guesswork on when everything happened. If you want to argue things wont happen then you'll say proposed means the roster was finalized. It's just a needless mess.

On Rex and Pyra specifically, I'm still confident given when their game released, the fact they are stars of the main series (with Shulk) and Skye maybe working on the game (giving the odd timing of her comments)

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The reason I hate this line of thinking (or at least one reason) is that we have no idea what is actually happening behind closed doors. This whole timing the roster things relies on this weird guesswork on when everything happened. Even this comment: if you want to argue things wont happen then you'll say proposed means the roster was finalized. It's just a needless mess.

On Rex and Pyra specifically, I'm still confident given when their game released, the fact they are stars of the main series (with Shulk) and Skye maybe working on the game (giving the odd timing of her comments)
I didn't in fact say that, and like I said, R+P could still very well happen. But it's VERY likely that the roster was finalized not long after the project proposal. You think he'd go into the project without a clear idea who he wanted to add? Of course, there's no discounting the possibility of "an upcoming MS game character", if he really had anything against, y'know, the main character from the *other* one.

But we can argue back and forth needlessly about things we'll never have complete answers to unless the creators give them to us. *Very* cautious optimism is how I'm going to proceed for now though, given how roster finalization has been very early in the past.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I didn't in fact say that, and like I said, R+P could still very well happen. But it's VERY likely that the roster was finalized not long after the project proposal. You think he'd go into the project without a clear idea who he wanted to add? Of course, there's no discounting the possibility of "an upcoming MS game character", if he really had anything against, y'know, the main character from the *other* one.

But we can argue back and forth needlessly about things we'll never have complete answers to unless the creators give them to us. *Very* cautious optimism is how I'm going to proceed for now though, given how roster finalization has been very early in the past.
Actually thats my bad. I meant in general if someone want to make that argument, you'd say proposal = roster. Think I had a train of thought and forgot to edit it out. Didn't mean you specifically were making the argument.

I will say that on roster finalization, content still gets added even a year before the game comes out. Both Brawl and Smash 4 did that.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I think an inital proposal sets a framework and goals. Additions can be made after the fact. Sonic and Wolf weren't exactly "initial proposal material" in Brawl evidently.

As I've mentioned though, I feel Rex and Pyra are better served as characters planned and designed with plenty of time. I think that even if Sakurai had early ideas about them, to be fair to the characters, I hope no part of their possible inclusion has ever felt rushed.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think an inital proposal sets a framework and goals. Additions can be made after the fact. Sonic and Wolf weren't exactly "initial proposal material" in Brawl evidently.

As I've mentioned though, I feel Rex and Pyra are better served as characters planned and designed with plenty of time. I think that even if Sakurai had early ideas about them, to be fair to the characters, I hope no part of their possible inclusion has ever felt rushed.
If they were added by the time the project plan was finalized, then there really isn't a reason for them to be rushed.

Not to mention there are potential issues with being DLC as well. All you have to do is look at Corrin. Corrin got his character, 2 songs, and a couple of trophies. Meaning if they get added as dlc instead of base, we could lose out on a lot of potential stuff for them, like a stage. And without a stage, that would probably mean a lot less music to.

Then there are reveal trailers, which all the dlc characters never got truely animated so we would miss out on that as well.

Now certainly new game, things could be different. They could potentially keep most of their team to make every dlc character feel special. But still I can't help but feel skeptical about that.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
If they were added by the time the project plan was finalized, then there really isn't a reason for them to be rushed.

Not to mention there are potential issues with being DLC as well. All you have to do is look at Corrin. Corrin got his character, 2 songs, and a couple of trophies. Meaning if they get added as dlc instead of base, we could lose out on a lot of potential stuff for them, like a stage. And without a stage, that would probably mean a lot less music to.

Then there are reveal trailers, which all the dlc characters never got truely animated so we would miss out on that as well.

Now certainly new game, things could be different. They could potentially keep most of their team to make every dlc character feel special. But still I can't help but feel skeptical about that.
Unfortunately that might not be the case. According to Source Gaming, the concept of Rex and Pyra were finalized in 2016, far beyond when the project plan was finalized.

Furthermore, I don't think Corrin is a good example for Character to content ratio. It was clear that the Coloseum (and less so Castle Siege) were generic Fire Emblem stages so a new stage wasn't necessary. When you consider characters such as Bayonetta or Ryu, they got stages, trophies, and music. That isn't to say your statement is quite invalidated, Lucas acts more of proof to your claim. I only bring up this comment because we've seen instances of both cases.

Still there isn't anything saying we couldn't get a Xenoblade 2 stage, alongside additional content, in the base game and a downloadable Rex later. If this does happen though I'm afraid the stage may be a bit basic (though that could be a good thing). If this scenerio were to arise, I believe it will be a tell-tale sign that Sakurai wanted to add Rex but couldn't because of time constraints.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Unfortunately that might not be the case. According to Source Gaming, the concept of Rex and Pyra were finalized in 2016, far beyond when the project plan was finalized.
It's worth mentioning that Sakurai's only reference for Greninja was concept art so who's to say he can't do the same for Rex and Pyra.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
How did everyone here react to this line towards the end of Xenoblade 2?
"We're locked out by Professor Klaus."

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
How did everyone here react to this line towards the end of Xenoblade 2?
"We're locked out by Professor Klaus."
I was ****ing floored. Lightbulbs started dinging in my head, and everything started to make sense. I was completely ecstatic and surprised.

And because
Klaus being the architect, and connecting it to XB1, and hearing Shulk through the void, and all the Adam ****ing Howden, was spectacular

Last edited:

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Im surprised people aren't giving the "Blades stand in the back while Rex fights" idea more thought since Trainer is coming back.
I support! Also I feel like this would be the case, blades would just be visual according to the moves!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I was conceptualizing a character design and wanted to share it with the thread to get some ideas. I haven't quite finished XC2 (second last chapter) but I know enough about how the moveset works.

First off, the only character directly on the battlefield is Rex. Pyra is there as well, and the Down Special swaps with Mythra, but the gals stand in the background similar to Pokemon Trainer. They support Rex by powering him up with affinity, and the closer Rex stands to them, the stronger the affinity boost gets (demonstrated by a thicker line). Pyra/Mythra does follow Rex around the stage, but there is a delay in them following your movements. This gives Rex a rather unique playstyle revolving around area denial, similar to Rosalina. This also blends in a bit of Pokemon Trainer's gimmick as a stance change fighter.

Rex' Special Moves would be as follows:

Up B: Anchor Shot - a tether recovery similar to ZSS' old Up B
Side B: Double Spinning Edge - two large sword swings. The first has increased shield damage.
Down B: Blade Switch (swaps between Pyra and Mythra).

The neutral special depends on the active blade and the current affinity level (up to 3), as does the Final Smash.

Pyra L1: Flame Nova. A quick AOE move that is a bit bigger than Nayru's. This is the move Kirby copies. Does ~9%.
Pyra L2: Provinence Revolt. Summons flame pillars on both sides of Rex that act as a 'get off me' move. Multi-hit that, in total, does 16%
Pyra L3: Blazing End. A big Hadouken. Single hit, doing 20%.
Pyra Final Smash: Burning Sword. A fire version of PK Starstorm.

Pyra also provides passive buffs to Rex in the form of a multiplier on shield damage (referencing Flaming Edge).

Mythra L1: Ray of Punishment. Multiple arrows are fired in Rex' general direction. Each does ~5%.
Mythra L2: Photon Edge. A single quick sword slice doing ~13%
Mythra L3: Lightning Buster. Mythra scatters sword slices in Rex' general direction, each hit doing ~10%.
Pyra Final Smash: Sacred Arrow. PK Starstorm with narrower meteors in more abundance.

Mythra provides a passive buff to Rex' shield that increases intangibility frames that stales with new shield decay mechanics (referencing Foresight).

Everything else between the two stances is the same, so it isn't quite a full blown Pokemon Trainer rip off. I really hope an eventual Rex moveset incorporates Blade Switch as that's a really big mechanic in Xenoblade 2, and limiting Rex to just Pyra wouldn't be cool imo because Mythra is so much cooler.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Here to support Rex and Pyra. Next to K.Rool they are probably my most wanted non third-party reps. Xenoblade 2 is my favorite game on the Switch and I believe that it deserves representation in Smash (Mor Ardain Stage alongside XC2s amazing soundtrack is also most welcome).

One of the most annoying things to me when Rex and Pyra are brought up in some newcomer discussions that I have these days are people who say that Pyra/Mythra should be a character on her own and Rex excluded, like... have they even played the game or at least bothered searching up the basic premise of it? I've had to explain this at least 4 times this last week

One way or another, I wish the Leftherian Driver and the Aegis the best of support.

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
One of the most annoying things to me when Rex and Pyra are brought up in some newcomer discussions that I have these days are people who say that Pyra/Mythra should be a character on her own and Rex excluded, like... have they even played the game or at least bothered searching up the basic premise of it? I've had to explain this at least 4 times this last week
I agree as well although to be fair, Torna ~ The Golden Country does show us that there was a time where Driver and Blade fought separately so having Pyra/Mythra by herself in Smash Ultimate isn't entirely out of the question now (that piece of Xenoblade lore was actually revealed before the game's release but it was pretty obscure since it was just in one of Takahashi's developer notes). Though i would still much rather have Rex and Pyra/Mythra fighting together like Pokemon Trainer.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
It's worth mentioning that Sakurai's only reference for Greninja was concept art so who's to say he can't do the same for Rex and Pyra.
There's no doubt he has the creative chops to come up with something unique going off very little, but I'd hope he had a great deal more info than little more than a picture to influence the Rex and Pyra character design. Because beyond creative originality, I think we all really hope their inclusion is also true to their character. That means all the little things fans will appreciate. Think about the care he put into Bayonetta in terms of making references to her own game. Pokemon is a bit more of a know entity that's not necessarily deep and surprising, so he was able to make a character that felt right in Greninja with very little to go off other than "it's another pokemon"... but for XC2 I'd love to see the full game's influence on the characters down to taunts that perhaps reference iconic moments, etc. Those sorts of little details would be a lot harder to get in there if he were going off only a little early info. Access to the full game and it's polished details would allow for a lot more fan service to hit it's target and make fans of the game really love their inclusion beyond just the recognizable faces.

D

Deleted member

I have the feeling that Smash Ultimate's initial release date was originally going to be for next September at the same time when the Nintendo Online Service will get launched, but that Nintendo and Sakurai decided to report it for December for adding more rising stars in the game, including you-know-who.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I have the feeling that Smash Ultimate's initial release date was originally going to be for next September at the same time when the Nintendo Online Service will get launched, but that Nintendo and Sakurai decided to report it for December for adding more rising stars in the game, including you-know-who.
Launching Smash on the same day as the Online is a terrible idea. The people that suggest that don't realize the Online's gonna crash and burn thanks to so many people accessing it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Launching Smash on the same day as the Online is a terrible idea. The people that suggest that don't realize the Online's gonna crash and burn thanks to so many people accessing it.
The more time the merrier!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Furthermore, I don't think Corrin is a good example for Character to content ratio. It was clear that the Coloseum (and less so Castle Siege) were generic Fire Emblem stages so a new stage wasn't necessary. When you consider characters such as Bayonetta or Ryu, they got stages, trophies, and music. That isn't to say your statement is quite invalidated, Lucas acts more of proof to your claim. I only bring up this comment because we've seen instances of both cases.

Still there isn't anything saying we couldn't get a Xenoblade 2 stage, alongside additional content, in the base game and a downloadable Rex later. If this does happen though I'm afraid the stage may be a bit basic (though that could be a good thing). If this scenerio were to arise, I believe it will be a tell-tale sign that Sakurai wanted to add Rex but couldn't because of time constraints.
Thats also wrong and is based off the art book which has dates near the concept art. We don't know when the characters were first designed. There is data in the game with early icons of Rex, Pyra, and Nia (w/ big ears), so these characters were designed long before those sketches were made.

The argument against Rex isn't even that relevant. Xenoblade 2 actually started around Late 2014-early 2015

That’s what was on my mind around the end of 2014 through early 2015.
Yeah, we started while Xenoblade X was still in development.
We’re building a whole new ‘Xenoblade’ title using the foundation laid by X. That’s the core of the project.
https://nintendoeverything.com/xeno...oblade-chronicles-x-was-still-in-development/

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It's not like you'd need the finalized designs to be able to work out a moveset; you can work off a basic concept of the characters to design their mechanics and touch up their art assets later. What you need more is a reason to think that it'd be worth promoting this upcoming release in such a big way. Hindsight's 20-20, but they didn't know in 2015 that the game would sell a million copies. Pokemon on the other hand is a pretty safe bet. Which makes Corrin a safer bet than an XBX character...

If Rex & Pyra were added I imagine Sakurai would want as many animation/scene references as possible in their moveset (ie Rex having his "blade special cheer" as a taunt, or his screen-KO animation being taken from the Mor Ardain Zeke fight transition), which is hard to do without the full game being out. Otherwise you end up with things like 'hotheaded Melee Roy' vs 'reasonable, unconfident young man FE6 Roy'.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Thats also wrong and is based off the art book which has dates near the concept art. We don't know when the characters were first designed. There is data in the game with early icons of Rex, Pyra, and Nia (w/ big ears), so these characters were designed long before those sketches were made.

The argument against Rex isn't even that relevant. Xenoblade 2 actually started around Late 2014-early 2015

https://nintendoeverything.com/xeno...oblade-chronicles-x-was-still-in-development/
I see, it's moments like these were I'm glad to be wrong. However I do have to ask, how do the early icons of the three characters reveal that the sketches were made prior to 2016? I mean I guess it doesn't matter really, considering the game was made around Late 2014-early 2015, even with multiple revisions, there should have been a general direction and finalized design by the time Sakurai decided on the roster.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I don't know if anyone here knows this but Skye Bennett (voice of Pyra & Mythra) just finished livestreaming Xenoblade 2. It took her over 50 days to finish the game.

Meanwhile, Etika, who has had the game since launch hasn't even bothered finish Chapter 9. That is all.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I see, it's moments like these were I'm glad to be wrong. However I do have to ask, how do the early icons of the three characters reveal that the sketches were made prior to 2016? I mean I guess it doesn't matter really, considering the game was made around Late 2014-early 2015, even with multiple revisions, there should have been a general direction and finalized design by the time Sakurai decided on the roster.
With Sakurai playing the game, I still could still see them as the last finished character in the baseroster, because I recall it takes 6 months to develop a unique character (I recall he said it with the Mewtwo DLC)

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Typically you want to avoid springing that kind of work on yourself midway into development because it can conflict with other planned projects for the game. Remember that when Mewtwo was being worked on, he was the central focus for the development team, its different when working on the base game. However as Smashchu pointed out, it really wouldn't be necessary given the two games timelines. Still yes, iit is technically possible for Sakurai to add them this year and have them ready by game release.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's one question that's on my mind: if both Pyra and Mythra are included (let's say they both are for the moment), would
Pneuma
be included as the Final Smash attack? I know Mecha Fiora was included as part of Shulk's revised Final Smash, but I wonder if he would spoil that detail too or hold it off.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Typically you want to avoid springing that kind of work on yourself midway into development because it can conflict with other planned projects for the game. Remember that when Mewtwo was being worked on, he was the central focus for the development team, its different when working on the base game. However as Smashchu pointed out, it really wouldn't be necessary given the two games timelines. Still yes, iit is technically possible for Sakurai to add them this year and have them ready by game release.
Well I'm convinced the bulk of the roster will be what ranked high in the ballot and well getting all veterans back, but this doesn't mean we won't get some other stuff that came later then 2015

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
I don't know if anyone here knows this but Skye Bennett (voice of Pyra & Mythra) just finished livestreaming Xenoblade 2. It took her over 50 days to finish the game.

Meanwhile, Etika, who has had the game since launch hasn't even bothered finish Chapter 9. That is all.
It's funny, because Etika seems to have like 500+ hours in the game just because he wants to experience the whole game before finishing it. I 100%d it in 200 hours so I have no idea what's taking the man so long.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Well I'm convinced the bulk of the roster will be what ranked high in the ballot and well getting all veterans back, but this doesn't mean we won't get some other stuff that came later then 2015
Neither do I, however I do believe such content will be far more limited due to the frustration adding such content does to the development of the game.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I mention the sketchs to make the point that the designs were conceptualized far earlier than the art book shows. The artbook only really applies to those sketches but they may have goon through multiple revisions before. Obviously, they wont show you everything.
Here's one question that's on my mind: if both Pyra and Mythra are included (let's say they both are for the moment), would
Pneuma
be included as the Final Smash attack? I know Mecha Fiora was included as part of Shulk's revised Final Smash, but I wonder if he would spoil that detail too or hold it off.
I figure his FS will be Union Sword/Nexus Force. You can figure out who the other character that will appear will be.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I mention the sketchs to make the point that the designs were conceptualized far earlier than the art book shows. The artbook only really applies to those sketches but they may have goon through multiple revisions before. Obviously, they wont show you everything..
Okay I get it now. For whatever reason when I read your first response, i read that sentence to mean something different. But yeah, makes sense.

Top Bottom