Rex Drives into Battle! (Xenoblade 2)

Altais

Smash Lord
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Under Construction

Credit to Venus of the Desert Bloom:

Welcome to the Rex support thread.

Rex is the main protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Similar to the first Xenoblade, in Xenoblade 2 humans live atop giant titans. Existing alongside humans are powerful creatures called Blades. Blades take on many forms, and wield many different weapons. Blades have much longer lifespans than humans, but as a price, they are trapped inside Core Crystals until a Driver awakens them. Drivers are rare people whom are strong enough to harness a Blade's power. Those whom are not strong enough to bond with Blades often get sick when they touch a Core Crystal--or worse. If a Blade's Driver dies, he/she/it will return to its Core Crystal, and all of its memories will be erased. Rinse and repeat. Rex is one of the few Drivers whom can utilise a Blade. The first Blade Rex meets is a red-haired woman named Pyra. If you've played Zelda: Skyward Sword, think of it this way: Pyra is to Rex is as Fi is to Link.

Last edited:

Xeno610

The Mysterious Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
1676-3685-0554
NNID
Brawler610
Admittedly, I am not a fan of Rex's design... those legs and feet are huge. I am also more interested in Pyra rather than him.
Nevertheless, I still support because the more Xenoblade the better.

Maybe too soon for support, but I honestly believe that his chances are big for the next Smash Bros. No special reason for that, but I saw how he worked in the trailer, and it seemed like he was fit for our fighting game !
Y'know what, add me to the list.

Those thighs tho.

Guybrush20X6

Smash Legend
Premium
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
NNID
Guybrush20X6
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Judging from how the two need each other in gameplay, they'd be unable to be in Smash until the Ice Climbers can work. But hey, if they get in we get Popo and Nana back.

3DS FC
1848-2225-1295
NNID
FinalSmashGamer
Switch FC
SW-1567-9471-9502
I also believe Rex can be substancially seen as the very first Switch rep in Smash's roster, with how huge of a deal the Switch is to Nintendo and gaming in general.

You could say the same for BotW :4link: as well, but Wii U port and already a veteran et cetera.

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot ARMS...

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
NNID
Takamaru64
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Looks like the main focus of the story will be romance (or boy meets girl) according to the director.

I hope it won't be as rushed and forced as Samurai Jack's fifth season.

That being said, I've been behind Rex for a long time, silly design aside. Too bad it sounds like they would have trouble trying to put his Drive gimmick in Smash (likely needing Pyra as a partner). Unless they just straight up make him fight with the Drive abilities without a partner.

Guybrush20X6

Smash Legend
Premium
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
NNID
Guybrush20X6
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looks like the main focus of the story will be romance (or boy meets girl) according to the director.

I hope it won't be as rushed and forced as Samurai Jack's fifth season.

That being said, I've been behind Rex for a long time, silly design aside. Too bad it sounds like they would have trouble trying to put his Drive gimmick in Smash (likely needing Pyra as a partner). Unless they just straight up make him fight with the Drive abilities without a partner.
One idea that couldn't force an Ice Climber situation would be to have Pyra be in the background like Pokemon Trainer.

Aussie the Cursed Mask

Haunting the dreams of a Dead Luigi.
Premium
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
One idea that couldn't force an Ice Climber situation would be to have Pyra be in the background like Pokemon Trainer.
That could work.

I kind of miss Pokemon Trainer, but having Pyra in the back ground would be a nice touch.

As for the story, I hope they know what they are doing. Xenoblade had hints of it and that wasn't a main part of the story. But for its sequel to have a bigger focus on bonds and romance, I hope for it to be good.

Last edited:
3DS FC
1848-2225-1295
NNID
FinalSmashGamer
Switch FC
SW-1567-9471-9502
That's an idea I had during the pre-Smash 4 days, but with Chrom paired with either Lucina or Robin, but it would probably be broken.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
NNID
Takamaru64
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
"I want to make something that people can look back on fondly one day as something that really shaped their lives. Something like what I loved as a boy, like Oliver! (by Carol Reed) and Galaxy Express 999 (by Rintaro). — That’s why I started working on this game."

I think I have more faith in Takahashi after reading this statement. He needs to make the story good for Xenoblade 2.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Master
I'm not sure what to make of Rex & Pyra right now. It does seem like they'd function together rather than just Rex on his own though. (since a driver needs a blade and Pyra is the default blade and likely the most important one story wise)

I'd really rather we got a playable nopon though. I probably sound like a broken record at this point but it seems a shame to not have a nopon as a fighter since the race are pretty much the mascots of the Xenoblade series. It doesn't seem like they're going anywhere though, so as long as the Xenoblade series continues it'll probably happen eventually.

They probably wouldn't do this but I'd actually love to see a nopon as the primary protagonist of a Xenoblade game. Maybe a spin-off of some kind? Maybe an RPG in the style of the old Paper Mario games.

Going back to Rex (& Pyra) they seem like characters I'd need to get to know (as characters) before I could really get behind them.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
NNID
Takamaru64
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm not sure what to make of Rex & Pyra right now. It does seem like they'd function together rather than just Rex on his own though. (since a driver needs a blade and Pyra is the default blade and likely the most important one story wise)

I'd really rather we got a playable nopon though. I probably sound like a broken record at this point but it seems a shame to not have a nopon as a fighter since the race are pretty much the mascots of the Xenoblade series. It doesn't seem like they're going anywhere though, so as long as the Xenoblade series continues it'll probably happen eventually.

They probably wouldn't do this but I'd actually love to see a nopon as the primary protagonist of a Xenoblade game. Maybe a spin-off of some kind? Maybe an RPG in the style of the old Paper Mario games.

Going back to Rex (& Pyra) they seem like characters I'd need to get to know (as characters) before I could really get behind them.
Riki or the Xenoblade 2 Nopon would be nice.

Tastu sucks.

Last edited:

Aussie the Cursed Mask

Premium
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So Mr. Nomura is designing some characters for Xenoblade and it's apparently more than one of them (More than just Iga and Torna).

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/21/tetsuya-nomura-designing-one-character-xenoblade-chronicles-2/

That's good because his designs are fabatasic if you seen what he did with the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts designs. I'm kind of excited to see what other characters he made for the game.

Too bad they standout a bit too much compared to the "traditional" non-detailed designs of Pyra and Rex.

fogbadge

Smash Master
So Mr. Nomura is designing some characters for Xenoblade and it's apparently more than one of them (More than just Iga and Torna).

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/21/tetsuya-nomura-designing-one-character-xenoblade-chronicles-2/

That's good because his designs are fabatasic if you seen what he did with the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts designs. I'm kind of excited to see what other characters he made for the game.

Too bad they standout a bit too much compared to the "traditional" non-detailed designs of Pyra and Rex.
really nomura? never would have expected that

Altais

Smash Lord
I just thought of something: What if Rex & Pyra had a Rosaluma type of mechanic? Rex would do the close range fighting, while Pyra could do the long-range tricks. Attacking Pyra would weaken Rex's ability to fight, so it would be up to Rex to protect her.

In war, when you attack the top, it shields itself with the bottom. That said, the key to KO'ing Rex would be to temporarily incapacitate him, then go after Pyra. Once Pyra's down, Rex is considerably less dangerous. That would be your chance to move in for the kill.

What say you lot?

3DS FC
1848-2225-1295
NNID
FinalSmashGamer
Switch FC
SW-1567-9471-9502
I just thought of something: What if Rex & Pyra had a Rosaluma type of mechanic? Rex would do the close range fighting, while Pyra could do the long-range tricks. Attacking Pyra would weaken Rex's ability to fight, so it would be up to Rex to protect her.

In war, when you attack the top, it shields itself with the bottom. That said, the key to KO'ing Rex would be to temporarily incapacitate him, then go after Pyra. Once Pyra's down, Rex is considerably less dangerous. That would be your chance to move in for the kill.

What say you lot?
That would be a nightmare both to program and to balance.

I'd say Pyra would better be involved during specials, while she's used in her blade form for every other of Rex's attacks.

Altais

Smash Lord
That would be a nightmare both to program and to balance.

I'd say Pyra would better be involved during specials, while she's used in her blade form for every other of Rex's attacks.
Hmm, you're right. Now that I've rethought it, that would cause a load of problems--not to mention the player would have to manage two characters at the same time. That, and it would cause a LOT of confusion if multiple players were using Rex. That said, I take back mine idea.

So yes, Pyra would probably be better off appearing during specials, taunts, victory poses, and maybe Rex's Final Smash. [Shrugs] At any rate, once we get more info on this game, I should be able to come up with better ideas.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Master

APC99

Smash Master
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
NNID
APC-99
With Rex and Pyra, the best way I can explain my idea is to compare it to a character like Duck Hunt, where it's two (or three) people fighting as one entity. Rex would normally use the blade in his tilts, aerials, throws, etc. while Pyra would be summoned for Specials or maybe even Smash attacks.

Especially since Pyra seems to go from sword to person pretty quickly, it wouldn't be too difficult to automatically switch between those forms mid-battle. Especially if palette swaps change the color of the sword AND Pyra to prevent confusion.

SmashChu

Smash Hero
Judging from how the two need each other in gameplay, they'd be unable to be in Smash until the Ice Climbers can work. But hey, if they get in we get Popo and Nana back.
Doubt it will be a problem as the Wii U was always able to have them. Switch is more powerful (better processor, but don't quote me on that), so it shouldn't be an issue.

3DS FC
1848-2225-1295
NNID
FinalSmashGamer
Switch FC
SW-1567-9471-9502

I don't want to say this may increase Rex's chances to be in Smash...

But this may increase Rex's chances to be in Smash.

Aussie the Cursed Mask

Premium
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wait... Breath of the Wild gets the second DLC set on November 9? Or is that only for Rex’s costume?
It's both a costume and a mission to get said costume.

Part 2's details are still unknown as of now.

But still, Link fits Rex's clothes alot.

Aussie the Cursed Mask

Premium
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I am betting he's gonna have a switch between Blades mechanic, much like Shulk's Monado Arts.
Depends on how they handle it and if the programming wouldn't be too bad.

They could just simply go with Pyra as his permanent Blade as opposed to choosing a bunch of them for one moveset

By the way, who has the Rex costume in Breath of the Wild? I just got all three pieces.

Last edited: