• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I know what you're getting at, but actually speaking seriously on the subject, there is a lot of argument to be made that Pyra and Mythra are stronger characters in writing than Rex. Not to knock the boy down a peg, I think he's fine, but there is legit substantial evidence if you wanted to make a case that they're just as much the protagonist as Rex is.

And yeah, iffy voice acting aside, Rex doesn't really have as much character progression. Again, not a knock against the boy, you don't always need that to be the main protag, but he's not at a level that I'd call him the sole main protag that represents the game all the best.

It's kind of like Spring Man in ARMS. The characters themselves aren't necessarily "weak or terrible", they're just at a level where they're not the iconic sole main protagonist one might think they are.

For that reason, people might gravitate more towards Pyra and Mythra as the main protagonists. As for Sakurai, well, maybe he saw more potential with them as the fighters and it's not like he just threw Rex to the wayside either.
It would frankly be weird if the teen-aged Rex got more changes in character than the centuries-old Aegis "siblings".

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't know what more to tell you. I thought it was pretty clear.
well i got it wrong so what does that tell you. it sounded like you were saying rex poor character development in comparison to pyra/mythra's (which i would dispute) might have been a reason for sakurai to chose them over him but you accused me of putting words in your mouth. you also seemed to be insulted by the idea that sakurai might have included them for more err lets say more kojima reasons which is what you were responding to when you brought up the character development. but again you said i got that wrong so why were you brining it up?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
well i got it wrong so what does that tell you. it sounded like you were saying rex poor character development in comparison to pyra/mythra's (which i would dispute) might have been a reason for sakurai to chose them over him but you accused me of putting words in your mouth. you also seemed to be insulted by the idea that sakurai might have included them for more err lets say more kojima reasons which is what you were responding to when you brought up the character development. but again you said i got that wrong so why were you brining it up?
He didn't brine anything, mate. Also, proofread your **** please.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He didn't brine anything, mate. Also, proofread your **** please.
why should i follow the request of a user who was so snippy about being corrected that they couldn’t even respond to the main point of post?

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Warning Issued
why should i follow the request of a user who was so snippy about being corrected that they couldn’t even respond to the main point of post?
I tend to ignore the ramblings of a pseudo-intellectual who can't be bothered to articulate his thoughts in a clear and decently professional manner before trying to correct the mistakes of others. We wouldn't be having this conversation if you hadn't felt the need to step in where you obviously didn't belong.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Warning Issued
I tend to ignore the ramblings of a pseudo-intellectual who can't be bothered to articulate his thoughts in a clear and decently professional manner before trying to correct the mistakes of others. We wouldn't be having this conversation if you hadn't felt the need to step in where you obviously didn't belong.
Where I didn’t belong? Says the user who been belittling the Rex fans in the Rex support thread. And if you think proper grammar makes you an “intellectual” you are sorely mistaken

It’s also severely rich of you to call me a pseudo intellectual when you can’t even get the phrase make do right

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Where I didn’t belong? Says the user who been belittling the Rex fans in the Rex support thread. And if you think proper grammar makes you an “intellectual” you are sorely mistaken

It’s also severely rich of you to call me a pseudo intellectual when you can’t even get the phrase make do right

Belittling Rex fans? Dude, I've been supporting Rex since the beginning of 2018. I really enjoy his character and his design doesn't rub me the wrong way like it seems to do for a lot of other people. Do I like the Aegis more? Obviously, but the kid definitely has his merits too.

While I acknowledge the slip up, I don't call people out on the most trivial of mistakes unless directly provoked, which is the case right now. My advice to you is to practice what you preach before worrying about other's grammatical errors and incorrect usage of phrases.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Belittling Rex fans? Dude, I've been supporting Rex since the beginning of 2018. I really enjoy his character and his design doesn't rub me the wrong way like it seems to do for a lot of other people. Do I like the Aegis more? Obviously, but the kid definitely has his merits too.

While I acknowledge the slip up, I don't call people out on the most trivial of mistakes unless directly provoked, which is the case right now. My advice to you is to practice what you preach before worrying about other's grammatical errors and incorrect usage of phrases.
Can confirm, Lampy here HAS been supporting Rex for as long as I've seen him. Mostly so XC2 can get the respect it rightfully deserves, but still.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I wasn’t calling you out I was trying to offer constructive criticism. Clearly that didn’t come across and I’m sorry you were offended by it.

I actually assumed it was autocorrect and you were gonna point this out and I would say my mistake and that would be the end of it

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I wasn’t calling you out I was trying to offer constructive criticism. Clearly that didn’t come across and I’m sorry you were offended by it.
And I'm telling you that it was completely unnecessary, especially since you're obviously not a master of the language either.

That being said, I'm willing to drop this argument now for the sake of the thread.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And I'm telling you that it was completely unnecessary, especially since you're obviously not a master of the language either.

That being said, I'm willing to drop this argument now for the sake of the thread.
I’m aware I’m not a master of the language, so my editor tells me. I made a decision a long time ago to not be bothered by grammar as this is the internet and I didn’t think it mattered.

But I agree it would be best to move on

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The warning was well worth it.

Anywho, I can't help but smile when I see Rex in their taunt and victory poses. He's just happy to be there to support his girls and I find that really wholesome.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The warning was well worth it.

Anywho, I can't help but smile when I see Rex in their taunt and victory poses. He's just happy to be there to support his girls and I find that really wholesome.
Like I said, he's being a gentleman about it. He's setting a standard we should all follow.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The mod already told us to stop.

So stop.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
look ive clearly upset some people here and for that i am sorry. but i dont think any of you realise that i genuinely felt under attack. i had an actual misunderstanding and when i asked Jovahexeon Joranvexeon to explain it to me the said they couldnt and it felt like they were implying i was an idiot for not understanding in the first place. then i got in to that thing with Lamperouge where it would seem weve both reported each. as for Starlight Liger well we've come to blows before so im i guess i got a little defensive there. so again i really am sorry to have upset everyone but please try to understand that some of us have trouble communicating and dont always come across how they intended

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Like I said, he's being a gentleman about it. He's setting a standard we should all follow.
That's easily understandable, being in Smash has made the Aegis girls happier than they're ever before; I'd imagine there are few things that Mythra would like more than being able to show off her strength without fear of collateral damage, and Pyra likewise is just happy that Mythra is happy.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
look ive clearly upset some people here and for that i am sorry. but i dont think any of you realise that i genuinely felt under attack. i had an actual misunderstanding and when i asked Jovahexeon Joranvexeon to explain it to me the said they couldnt and it felt like they were implying i was an idiot for not understanding in the first place. then i got in to that thing with Lamperouge where it would seem weve both reported each. as for Starlight Liger well we've come to blows before so im i guess i got a little defensive there. so again i really am sorry to have upset everyone but please try to understand that some of us have trouble communicating and dont always come across how they intended
I didn't report you.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
For the Pokemon Trainer part, he said his #1 reason for not doing it was that he didn't think fans would want it... I always imagined Rex fighting with Pyra in the back being able to switch to Mythra, but the way Sakurai worded it makes it sound like it was just the two. Even so, do you guys agree with that statement?
Where did you see that at?

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Same. Between Pyra/Mythra's intro animation, two different taunts, two different Final Smashes (the first ones since Piranha Plant's that actually happen onstage), and four different victory poses, I think Ultimate does a pretty exemplary job of incorporating him given the limiting circumstances. The fact that Rex is in most of the victory screens is what really drives the feeling home for me, as that wouldn't be representative of someone simply making a cameo.

Mew2King who potentially only bought XC2 due to his interest in Pyra/Mythra as a fighter (you know, based on how they looked to actually play) has since firmly cemented himself as a fan of Rex's character in his ongoing streams, if that helps to convince anyone that this has been a net benefit. Just because Rex isn't the main character doesn't mean he's automatically on the receiving end of an abusive relationship with whoever is.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Same. Between Pyra/Mythra's intro animation, two different taunts, two different Final Smashes (the first ones since Piranha Plant's that actually happen onstage), and four different victory poses, I think Ultimate does a pretty exemplary job of incorporating him given the limiting circumstances. The fact that Rex is in most of the victory screens is what really drives the feeling home for me, as that wouldn't be representative of someone simply making a cameo.

Mew2King who potentially only bought XC2 due to his interest in Pyra/Mythra as a fighter (you know, based on how they looked to actually play) has since firmly cemented himself as a fan of Rex's character in his ongoing streams, if that helps to convince anyone that this has been a net benefit. Just because Rex isn't the main character doesn't mean he's automatically on the receiving end of an abusive relationship with whoever is.
Yeah, I mean compared to :ultchrom: clearly being included last-minute as an Echo to the point that :ultlucina:'s FS hasn't been changed, Rex's involvement with Pyra/Mythra overall was purposely planned.

I think it's much more fun and wholesome to think of him as a passionate cheerleader, really (especially considering that male cheerleaders are a thing in Japan).

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I mean compared to :ultchrom: clearly being included last-minute as an Echo to the point that :ultlucina:'s FS hasn't been changed, Rex's involvement with Pyra/Mythra overall was purposely planned.

I think it's much more fun and wholesome to think of him as a passionate cheerleader, really (especially considering that male cheerleaders are a thing in Japan).

That is still the best Aegis in smash meme I saw because of how likely it is ^^. For me personally I am a little bit sad that the XC2 Battle System will never be incorporated in Smash (Like Arms and Minecrafts mechanics were ... ), but as Aegis is one of my favorit chars in the game, their moveset is unique and fit for their character, Cloud Sea is definetly my favorit map in the entire game (the idea to have gramps as an commentator is just genius) and we got all important XC2 Music Tracks I see their inclusion as 90% win.

My sympathie goes to the poor guys from the elma thread ..... Nintendo really seems to have forgotten that XCX exists .....

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That is still the best Aegis in smash meme I saw because of how likely it is ^^. For me personally I am a little bit sad that the XC2 Battle System will never be incorporated in Smash (Like Arms and Minecrafts mechanics were ... ), but as Aegis is one of my favorit chars in the game, their moveset is unique and fit for their character, Cloud Sea is definetly my favorit map in the entire game (the idea to have gramps as an commentator is just genius) and we got all important XC2 Music Tracks I see their inclusion as 90% win.

My sympathie goes to the poor guys from the elma thread ..... Nintendo really seems to have forgotten that XCX exists .....
Eh, I think Sak simply doesn't focus too much on spin-offs (case in point, Paper Mario still has no one playable).

...Which XCX is, right? Would be nice to get a definitive answer on that if Takahashi does get the money he needs for a port.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Eh, I think Sak simply doesn't focus too much on spin-offs (case in point, Paper Mario still has no one playable).

...Which XCX is, right? Would be nice to get a definitive answer on that if Takahashi does get the money he needs for a port.
Well from monoliths own attitude towards XCX they do seem hold it in the same esteem as 1 & 2. They certainly seem to include Elma all the time (poor cross) but does sakurai see it as a spin off? You’re point about spin offs is a good one, although paper Mario may be a bad example considering the number of other Mario spin offs that feature prominently, DK, Yoshi, Wario, Mario kart. But must others only seem to get a song

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Because it would look silly to have Chrom be defeated by himself and his daughter outside of mirror matches.

Oh whatever, I'll show myself out.
Dont worry - with so many FE Chars in game one can confuse robin with lucina ^^.

But the point still stands that previously Nintendo did care about such things .... see for example the spirit train map.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
pops in out of nowhere

I wouldn't call a character with a unique final smash and several animations tweaks to make him different than Roy a "last minute" inclusion - if anything, changing robin's final smash was the only low priority thing here :upsidedown:
-----
I really like Rex's spirit upgrade: It went from a good but forgettable Ace spirit to the second strongest 3 slots spirit in the game behind Some Cruz, and it's even stronger than him if you just count the sum of it's attack and defense stats without the special ability (Soma has 11009 while Rex has 11209), not to mention that his ability (Critical Health Stats Up) also better for the World of Light final battle than Soma's (Giant Killer), which is useless here.

Top Bottom