• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
I think I dont even like if they give rex a moveset without Pyra/Mythra. Echo of them would be ok but everything else would feel like a wasted slot.
I think the echo should just replace Mytha.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I think the echo should just replace Mytha.
And loose the Forsight mechanic? Naw thanks. When they wanted to do proper Rex Pyra they should have done Tag-Team Mechanics with Affinity on Proximity etc. Stance-Swapping fits Pyra/Mythra more.

Mythra and Pyra almost certainly share a roster slot. That said, as an echo he should be relatively inoffensive.
My opinion exactly. Quite unfortunately that we then never get the blade/driver mechanic into smash ..... until maybe Akira&Legion from Legion is invited ..... wait a moment .....

D

Deleted member

If the protagonist from the next Xenoblade will ever be of the same girth as Rex, then he can have the chance to be considered as Echo material.

Even then, I doubt it'll happen.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Rex has much real chance as DLC moving forward. But I could see him making base roster in the future, possibly joining Pyra & Mythra in a reworked moveset. That would upset people who preferred them as they are of course, but it's not like Smash hasn't done major changes like that before cough Charizard cough

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I always felt that when Sak revealed the Rex Mii, he was genuinely disappointed that he couldn't get him in there. It wasn't regular Mii deconfirmation, it was advanced Mii deconfirmation.

I CALLED IT. And look at the backlash I got when I first proposed the idea...
With how close-minded this community tends to be, it takes an absurdly long time for my views that barely anyone believes to come true. I know how you feel, so good for you for sticking to your radical principles.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
With how close-minded this community tends to be, it takes an absurdly long time for my views that barely anyone believes to come true. I know how you feel, so good for you for sticking to your radical principles.
Thanks for understanding. Some folks are just too stubborn to admit when they're wrong. At least when I get something wrong, I concede and move on.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
i just think Pyrha and Mythra are the Epidomi of everything Wrong with Smash Right now

So zelda and kirby Nintendos 2 and 4 biggest Franchise have both 3 unique Movesets
Mother a absolute classic has 1

SmAsH iS tHe CeLeBrAtIoN oF gAmInG IcOnS

yet Byleth gets in ONLY for Marketing purposes

And Xenoblade has now just as Many Movesets as Kirby and Zelda

We still have so many Nintendo/Videogame icons without 3d Models that being
Bandana Waddle Dee, Gorons, Impa, zoras and Dark Matter, Eggman and Many other

yet we have 3 Xenoblade Characters ( and yes two would have been fine) All of them are Good Guys with two of them being almost identical

and we have 8 Firemblem Characters (if you want to be genourous 6 would have been fine in Ultimate) again all of them are Good guys, 5 of them have blue hair and 3 of them are from the Same game

There is something FUNDAMENTALY wrong with smash

Also if it had to be a Duo then Rex and Pyra make more sense (i think i didnt play Xenoblade 2 or 1 or x)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i dont think thats a word

So zelda and kirby Nintendos 2 and 4 biggest Franchise have both 3 unique Movesets
zelda has 4 mother has 2

Also if it had to be a Duo then Rex and Pyra make more sense (i think i didnt play Xenoblade 2 or 1 or x)
no there isnt, smash isnt about gaming icons smash isnt even about nintendo all stars any more. smash is a crossover with just whomever they feel like/can get. theres isnt some kind of pecking order they ignore and they dont leave out characters to spite other series. from everything weve been told character selection boils down to however they think is fun.

I'm pretty sure it's a Spongebob reference.

well i dont watch so i wouldnt know

Oracle Link

Smash Master
i dont think thats a word

zelda has 4 mother has 2

no there isnt, smash isnt about gaming icons smash isnt even about nintendo all stars any more. smash is a crossover with just whomever they feel like/can get. theres isnt some kind of pecking order they ignore and they dont leave out characters to spite other series. from everything weve been told character selection boils down to however they think is fun.

well i dont watch so i wouldnt know
Im German and this word is difficult

Im talking about 99% original Movesets

I guess but some people act like Smash is this big Celebration of Gaming (which is highly debateble)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Im German and this word is difficult

Im talking about 99% original Movesets

I guess but some people act like Smash is this big Celebration of Gaming (which is highly debateble)
i see

well in that case zelda still has 4. its even less if , so many moves double up. im not even sure you could say XC has less than 99% unique moves what with them sharing counter attacks with some many others

well they shouldnt cause it isnt

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
i just think Pyrha and Mythra are the Epidomi of everything Wrong with Smash Right now

SmAsH iS tHe CeLeBrAtIoN oF gAmInG IcOnS

yet Byleth gets in ONLY for Marketing purposes

And Xenoblade has now just as Many Movesets as Kirby and Zelda

We still have so many Nintendo/Videogame icons without 3d Models that being
Bandana Waddle Dee, Gorons, Impa, zoras and Dark Matter, Eggman and Many other

yet we have 3 Xenoblade Characters ( and yes two would have been fine) All of them are Good Guys with two of them being almost identical

and we have 8 Firemblem Characters (if you want to be genourous 6 would have been fine in Ultimate) again all of them are Good guys, 5 of them have blue hair and 3 of them are from the Same game

Well, here's one way of looking at it: while getting a rep at all in Smash is a big accomplishment, getting a SECOND rep is basically Nintendo's way of saying that, yes, they DO care about this franchise and want to expand upon it in Smash. Granted, games like Kid Icarus and Star Fox haven't done much recently, but they clearly left their marks on Nintendo.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, Pyra and Mythra seem to have different specials and final Smashes, but their movesets seem to be the same animations with different properties. Now, I'm generally for more Zelda, Kirby, DK, etc., but Xenoblade has been doing well for Nintendo, so getting more attention is potentially deserved. Will kind of agree that it isn't the best representation of 2 as they mostly removed the driver part of the driver and blade thing, but oh well.

Also, it should be noted Nintendo fighters generally have lower bars for entry as far as star status (though at least one third party, Bayonetta, got in without being an icon). As much as they market it as gaming, the series is still inherently Nintendo oriented even if they are working to shift it. Does anyone honestly think a game about gaming icons would have Captain Falcon with several stages, or two Mother/Earthbound fighters also with several stages? Or the Ice Climbers (with two stages in the series)?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Honestly, Smash is BOTH a celebration of Nintendo All-Stars AND of Gaming History. Piranha Plant, Byleth, Min Min, Pyra and Mythra are basically reminders of how Smash even started: all first-parties. Yeah, 1/5 of the roster is all third-party right now, but it's best to keep in mind that Nintendo still has a metric ton of characters themselves to pull from, and they can't always pull from other companies to add to the roster. Yeah, people including myself want the likes of Doom Slayer or Reimu or [INSERT MOST WANTED 3RD PARTY HERE] in the game, but ultimately it's all what Nintendo wants to do with it, and they wanted to add the mentioned first parties for some of the DLC. We can request and want characters, and that has paid off in the past with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo. But Nintendo can't always abide by our requests. They're gonna add who they feel is worth adding to the roster, and if they added them because we've been requesting it, boom, both parties are happy. At the end of the day, it's best that we never forget Smash's roots and how it started in the first place.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Another thing that may become relevant is, that third parties have to be licensed. Some of them may be deemed not worth it in future titles without the need to have the full roster. Especially if they are more labor intensive. As DLC they may pay their way, but as the base roster? Are they going to be worth keeping?

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I actually quite like that Nintendo puts a little bit more focus on their newer franchises like XC, Arms or Splatoon. Otherwise it always seems like Nintendo is just "Mario, Zelda and Pokemon" and that is quite unfortunate.

I agree though that its overdue for a new zelda character.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Been a really really long time since I've said a thing in here (10 months-ish), but just wanted to say I'm pleased with the result of the last reveal. (That may be an understatement actually... I freaked out, lol.) Maybe my specific hopes weren't too huge, but still over the last few years I did feel selfish to want so much. And all I wanted? I just wanted more Xenoblade in Smash. I wasn't gonna be picky exactly, but I knew that's what I needed. And I got it. It may not be exactly as I envisioned for a single character reveal but it's about as close to next best thing as I could imagine.

My "reasonable expectation" was Rex and the Aegis or Driver and Aegis via echoes. It felt like a lot, just that though. It assumed three maybe even 4 characters in one, essentially, if it were to aim to stay true to the source content. But that also would've been kinda a mess and even as I grasped with the idea of proper representation.. ironically, I recognized that to do it in such a way would have made a character that would've been, perhaps, "not fun" for me to play, with too much going on. I was willing to learn though, obviously, if Smash gave me a chance.

That all considered, however.. having played XC2 and Torna for several hundred hours.. I knew Mythra and by extension Pyra were the main characters of the world of Alrest. I needed the Aegis represented, before anything else, if any "one" character were to be added. Rex and or Addam felt required but I knew deep down that it didn't have to be that way. The Aegis is special after all. Consequently, this reveal, tho not exactly matching how I envisioned the ideal representation, at least nailed the Aegis. I feel a bit bad for Rex but not terrible. It's her story after all. He's still in Smash to a degree, and how could I be upset? Honestly? ITS MORE XENOBLADE IN SMASH. That's primarily, when you shed everything else away, my biggest need in this game... and it was fulfilled. And even when I really think about it... I don't think I would change anything.

Obviously, there's getting greedy too. Wanting not just Pyra and Mythra but Rex and Addam. I don't know the optimal way that could've been worked out but it was just natural to me to want as much as possible for xenoblade. The true pipe dream was to get many reps and have xenoblade get the FE treatment, but if I was being selfish before this is incredibly selfish. To wish for not only the main characters of xc2, but Elma and Nia and KOS-MOS as well... maybe even Fiora and Lora with her blades. Deep down I greedily want all that still, but it's a fantasy and I've kinda buried that with reasonableness, heh. As much as that's the dream, I couldn't imagine a world where a whole pass would just be xenolove.. I'd feel incredibly guilty. Maybe it's partly that reasonableness that helped me be just sooooo hype for this reveal. I recognize I could just get nothing at all like I have before.

Also, Mythra is a very strong contender for "favorite xenoblade character" across the three games for me... tho I should add that Torna helps a great deal in that regard. And because XC2 is also a strong contender for game of the last decade for me, I can honestly say that I may have just gotten my favorite character in my favorite game of the last decade into Smash - Smash being my favorite fighting game and a series I've loved deeply since 64. Basically, if I can't be happy with that I might have some emotional problems or something, heh.

So yeah.. I absolutely have a new main and a new reason to play lots of Smash.

I'll confess tho, this whole thing has me aching for more xenoblade too. Anyone else wish that this could've also been a second dlc for XC2 as well? I haven't played XC2 significantly in a year now, tho I had basically done everything that one can on a single file when I last played. Same with Torna. Together I've but 850 hours into the world of Alrest, and yet I still crave more of it.

Last, just want to say I do regret my long absence. Would've been fun to be still active here when the reveal occurred and in the months leading up to this moment. Around just before XCDE came out, I actually deliberately decided to avoid chatter here since I have a habit of playing games very slowly and turning over every stone. I was dedicated to playing the main game again before Future Connected and didn't want to run into FC spoilers here. I still haven't played Future Connected in fact, tho I plan to soon. I put about 500 hours into the rest of XCDE before taking a break a couple months ago to try another game out. I've been very busy with work as well so my usual play rate has been lower too. But yeah, that's why I've been gone... so hi again!

Anyways, was fun textwalling at you guys again. Maybe see some of you in the Pyra/Mythra official character board~

xc2 chibi mythra sipping juice emote~.png

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I'll admit that while I supported Rex getting in... I was more in love with the idea of having Rex & Pyra/Mythra tag team with a swap mechanic than Rex being playable. Don't think we'll ever get that now, but still looking forward to Pyra/Mythra.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Hmm, beat the final boss again, and...it is kind of disappointing he's been treated the way he is. That kind of was his fight, and he was pretty good there. Oh well. Next time, maybe.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
if jin has a spirit and the spirit battle isnt against sephiroth (with the dlc) ill be disappointed

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, beat the final boss again, and...it is kind of disappointing he's been treated the way he is. That kind of was his fight, and he was pretty good there. Oh well. Next time, maybe.
Final Boss ..... from Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Or who do you mean?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yes, XC2's final boss. It was Rex doing most of the fighting, literally and verbally, not Pyra and Mythra.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, we have the reason for our solo blades: It was easier to do that than a repeat of the work needed for the Ice Climbers. Sorry, Rex fans.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, from the way he described it, and IC situation would have been even more taxing. Though, I imagined more them being in the background.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, we have the reason for our solo blades: It was easier to do that than a repeat of the work needed for the Ice Climbers. Sorry, Rex fans.
no we have a reason for why a solo character not why the blades. at no point did he ever say why they were chosen over rex or show anything that couldnt have also worked for rex.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
no we have a reason for why a solo character not why the blades. at no point did he ever say why they were chosen over rex or show anything that couldnt have also worked for rex.
Solo Rex would not make to much sense. Pyra has at last Mythra with the stance swapping mechanic. Rex pure has .... a sword .....

Arthur97

Smash Master
Seems they were going with some sort of Ice Climbers like thing instead of having them be support for some reason and, well, as he said, they are more complicated models than the Ice Climbers.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Solo Rex would not make to much sense. Pyra has at last Mythra with the stance swapping mechanic. Rex pure has .... a sword .....
No Rex by himself has Pyra and mythras moves. If they weren’t bothering with the affinity mechanic then they could have easily had Rex with those two supporting him from off screen like the DHD’s zapper

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
No Rex by himself has Pyra and mythras moves. If they weren’t bothering with the affinity mechanic then they could have easily had Rex with those two supporting him from off screen like the DHD’s zapper
That would look weird ..... So he would use Pyras abilities without Pyra beeing visible?

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Nevertheless, what do you guys think about rex inclusion into the asthetic? I quite like that he is in the intro and winning animations.

C chocolatejr9 : Well he just wanted that his girlfriends are happy ..... Rex best cheerleader after all.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Isn't there a beam connecting Rex to Pyra in battle?
It’s part of the aforementioned proximity mechanic that they were going to ignore anyway

Moving on, anyone know how long did each Xenoblade spend in development?

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It’s part of the aforementioned proximity mechanic that they were going to ignore anyway

Moving on, how long did each Xenoblade spend in development?
A proximity mechanic? If Sakurai was going to add Rex in with the Ice Climbers gimmick, I would expect that beam to be shown in Smash. Then again, looking at Xenoblade 2's battles with Pyra standing there and not holding the sword, I think the Pokémon Trainer's thing of having Pyra stand in the background would have worked better? Though I'm glad I'm going to control Pyra.

Top Bottom