• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Also it would take away from the uniquess from Pokemon Trailer. As already mentioned I am to 90% statisfied with how thngs turned out. I had some fears in the past that xc2 would just be skipped due to bad timing or will feel like a rushed char (like byleth ....)

I look forward to the indepth presentation.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Well my guess it that the stance change gimmick was just more interesting then any tag team gimmick he came up with for Rex&Pyra. Looking in retrospective on it it may cause some problems when the non active part of your Char (that beeing pyra) has a bigger hitbox then the actual character. Think Rosalina&Luma just that Luma is twice as big (roughly) then Rosalina.

Nevertheless - are we now rooting for Rex getting the full Chrom treatment and become an echo next game? I previously didnt saw that possibility because I thought it didnt make sense to match him with shulk but in the elma thread they speculated of Rex becoming an echo for pyra. And swapping between Salvager and Master-Driver Form. I think that would work if they allow echos to have more unique attributes in the next game. Because Rex is significant shorter then Pyra&Mythra.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Damn... another character got Chrom'd.

Let's just hope that Rex and Spring Man get in Smash 6 even if as Echo Fighters of Shulk and Min Min.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Damn... another character got Chrom'd.

Let's just hope that Rex and Spring Man get in Smash 6 even if as Echo Fighters of Shulk and Min Min.
But then there need tobe a specialinteraction between Pyra and Rex - like a special kind of final smash.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'd say at least part of the reason Rex was left out was probably technical. Maybe they considered some affinity or combo stuff and it proved too difficult and/or awkward to implement.

As for Rex being an Echo, I think Rex could be a Pyra and Mythra combo echo either using his junk sword or just one of the Aegis swords (maybe varrying). Give him kind of in between stats and maybe different specials (At least up and potentially down) and there you go. Would probably need to rework any animations for when the girls have their weapons float and have him actually run, but I think it could work. As for FS, it could either be a chain attack or Infinity Blade.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure they experimented with a lot of different possibilities for a Xenoblade 2 rep and decided this was the best one.

I also highly doubt the Mii costume had any significant effect.... They wouldn't let that stop them from including Rex if they wanted to.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Though...would be nice if they added a Rex icon for online. For some reason he didn't have one in the base game...but Pyra and Mythra do.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
If you go a few pages back I think I congratulated you for predicting correctly.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm sure they experimented with a lot of different possibilities for a Xenoblade 2 rep and decided this was the best one.

I also highly doubt the Mii costume had any significant effect.... They wouldn't let that stop them from including Rex if they wanted to.
In my opinion, Rex being a DLC Mii costume was why I suspected Rex wouldn’t get in Smash Ultimate.

Why would you pay for a Mii costume when you could have paid for a playable fighter?

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, Rex being a DLC Mii costume was why I suspected Rex wouldn’t get in Smash Ultimate.

Why would you pay for a Mii costume when you could have paid for a playable fighter?
But wasnt he a free bonus for Pass 1?

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
We're still in a pandemic. It's possible that having Rex around all the time would have been a lot of extra work for little gain, and covid was the straw that broke the camel's back on that one. It's also possible that the dev team might have considered it scummy to sell the Rex Mii as an incentive for purchasing the full first pass, but to then turn around and make him playable. I don't think it's scummy, since I highly doubt anyone bought the whole first pass just because they wanted the costume. But there's a good chance the dev team felt otherwise. I'm honestly not shaken up over not being able to play as Rex, since I feel like the blades would have taken up the bulk of his moveset anyway. We pretty much made it, my dudes!
Even if it was extra work, I wouldn't have minded having Rex technically as a cheerleader. Both fans would have technically won.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Even if it was extra work, I wouldn't have minded having Rex technically as a cheerleader. Both fans would have technically won.
Yeah but that would be true for anybody .... then the background would be full quite quickly :grin:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
More like second time when you consider Sakurai's announcement of the Mii costume his first time deconfirmed. Fighters Pass 2 was actually a second chance to get Min Min, Pyra and Mythra and other base game deconfirmed fighters in.
Well bare in mind most people see Mii Costumes as a fan thing

Blabacon

Smash Rookie
Is it bad for me to say that I'm honestly a bit happier with what we got than what I was expecting?
Yes, I was hoping for Rex, but it was more specifically Rex WITH Pyra. This just cuts out the middleman a bit.

Also, I really hope Captain Padraig gets in as a Mii fighter.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well bare in mind most people see Mii Costumes as a fan thing
But Sakurai actually said Rex didn't make it in. Rex not coming in because of his costume isn't a fan thing. Sakurai actually said it during his announcement of the first Fighters Pass while showing the Rex costume. However, other characters not making it because of their Mii Costumes are a fan rule because we've got characters who are both Fighters and Mii Costumes in the base game like Samus and Chrom.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by from Geno/Doom Slayer's followings to leave my condolences and...congratulations in a way. I think that's a first, hehe.

Since the whole situation with Rex happened, it didn't sit well with me and I was sure something would be done in favor of him and XB2 to make "things right" and I am glad I wasn't wrong entirely. Rex isn't playable but one half of the supported potential duo that people wanted as representation of XB2 did: Pyra (+Mythra). I'd consider that a win as that's good representation for the game, plus Rex's Mii Costume, Music incoming, another stage, etc.

Besides, Rex getting :ultchrom:'d while kind hilarious, it is good in a way as that could imply that he could always return as an actual character later. (As an Echo or otherwise).

Stay strong Rex and XB2 supporters and rejoice for now as later things could always turn out well.

:bowser:.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
But Sakurai actually said Rex didn't make it in. Rex not coming in because of his costume isn't a fan thing. Sakurai actually said it during his announcement of the first Fighters Pass while showing the Rex costume. However, other characters not making it because of their Mii Costumes are a fan rule because we've got characters who are both Fighters and Mii Costumes in the base game like Samus and Chrom.
Since Pyra and Mythra got in do you think there was a deeper meaning in his words?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm sorry for you guys. Min Min took Spring Man from me, and Pyra took Rex from youse.
But if it's any consolation...
49b.png

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
he said this before the 2nd pass was ever planned and was referring to the base game

The_Hypist

Smash Rookie
Kinda late to this thread’s party, but yep I’m stoked we’re getting a Xenoblade 2 character. Looking forward to using them in March!

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, Chrom is kind of a beacon of hope for characters like this. Most may not follow his path, but there's a chance.

Blabacon

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Chrom is kind of a beacon of hope for characters like this. Most may not follow his path, but there's a chance.
If rex does go the Chrom route, he won't be added until "Super Smash Bros Ultimate Deluxe Edition" or something in a similar vein. although it would be interesting to see what his moveset is without having Pyra and Mythra with him. Maybe he'd have different blades from the game.

P.S. Arthur97, are you that guy on fanfiction.net?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If rex does go the Chrom route, he won't be added until "Super Smash Bros Ultimate Deluxe Edition" or something in a similar vein. although it would be interesting to see what his moveset is without having Pyra and Mythra with him. Maybe he'd have different blades from the game.

I do have an idea for how Rex could be added without Pyra/Mythra, but it would involve a late game spoiler...

Arthur97

Smash Master

I think he could be the inbetween. Hits harder than Mythra and is faster than Pyra. Specials may all need to be changed. Fortunately, he does have four driver arts with them. The weapon wouldn't have to be changed either.

Er...yes.

Blabacon

Smash Rookie
I think he could be the inbetween. Hits harder than Mythra and is faster than Pyra. Specials may all need to be changed. Fortunately, he does have four driver arts with them. The weapon wouldn't have to be changed either.

Er...yes.
That is a way his moveset could work, and it's definitely more feasible then my idea. Mine is more of a ice climbers/pokemon trainer situation. Wherein he would have 2 people out (1 driver/1blade) but then down special to switch between 3 or so blades.

Sorry about the question, I was more like "I wonder if it's that guy." and asked before thinking. The internet is a small place though apparently.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, that's more new fighter territory, and I doubt they'll do that unless they just add him into Pyra and Mythra.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
I think I dont even like if they give rex a moveset without Pyra/Mythra. Echo of them would be ok but everything else would feel like a wasted slot.

Top Bottom