• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Arthur97

Smash Master
I've read that the community or at least parts of it are pretty salty. To be expected. That said, I don't like even the fans bashing Rex over this...poor guy.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Just logging back in to give a big congrats to all my fellow XB2 fans! While I still really wanted Rex, with Pyra/Mythra being his gimmick, this is still a really exciting announcement. I felt more relief than I did excitement, because XB2 is finally getting the recognition is deserves, and all the wishing and speculating is finally over.

If history has taught us anything, Rex got Chrom'd so that means he'll be back next game as an Echo Fighter. That's a compromise I'm willing to settle with.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I support Pyra/Mythra for Smash Bros Ultimate. In fact, I expect them to be part of the fighters pass.

We know that a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 character was planned but was not added due to poor timing. Well, there's no excuse for that any longer. Sakurai wants a representative, Nintendo clearly wants a representative from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 judging by the sales numbers and Xenoblade Chronicles as a brand is just growing especially after the success of Definitive Edition. The reason why I am limiting it to Pyra and not Rex/Pyra is partially due to programming reasons and because of Torna - The Golden Country. Having both Rex and Pyra would be more mechanically challenging to program and control as the driver and blade dynamic doesn't really work in a 2D field, it's not like Ice Climbers because Rex wields Pyra's weapon, but if Pyra's wielding her weapon, what is Rex going to wield (unless he has a secondary weapon from the spoiler blade). I refer to Torna - The Golden Country because that game lets you play as Mythra, meaning, an entire moveset can be created without having to have Rex involved. Pyra/Mythra are arguably the face of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 so I'm expecting them.
I CALLED IT. And look at the backlash I got when I first proposed the idea...

but theyre not
Woah, woah, woah? No Rex? He's the main fighter of the group even if they supply the power. The driver and blade thing is how they fight. Why would you cut him?
I mean, Pyra was barely in Torna. Also, why would Torna be important here? The main game is Rex.

However, more importantly, Pyra, Mythra, and Rex are a team. Blades and drivers are a symbiotic relationship. Yes, blades can fight alone, but to reach their full strength, they need each other. For them to be split up...just doesn't make a lot of sense, now does it? Not an exact comparison, but imagine getting only one Ice Climber.
You seem to be thinking about this backwards. Besides, they can fight alone, but it took Rex for them to reach their full potential. And do you honestly think that with how DLC has gone, they aren't going to try to replicate them as faithfully as possible? Having them fight without Rex just seems...wrong.

Also bear in mind that Addam was still around when Mythra fought, so it wasn't like she was without a driver.
why do you think theyd happily ditch rex?
but you said they as in the smash team, why would they happily leave out rex and not pyra/mythra?
if the smash team thought the same then why give us a rex costume and not a pyra or mythra one
Well in the anniversary of Xenoblade Wallpaper it was Rex who was in the front next to Schulk and Elma. While Pyra&Mythra were in the back with the other supporting cast.

Nevertheless I dont think they will make Rex without Pyra, that would just be Schulk 2.0 with a hook and no monado. Nor will they make a Pyra/Mythra Combi without Rex.

So to put it short - when someone is cutted from the trio its Mythra 😉

Kikio4546

Smash Cadet
Twitter ain't happy with this... Don't look at the Pyra/Mythra Smash reveal trailer reply section if you value your sanity...

Jokes aside, I never expected this! They look fun, so I might try them out. It seems like Pyra's the slower hard-hitter while Mythra is all about speed.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Twitter ain't happy with this... Don't look at the Pyra/Mythra Smash reveal trailer reply section if you value your sanity...

Jokes aside, I never expected this! They look fun, so I might try them out. It seems like Pyra's the slower hard-hitter while Mythra is all about speed.
When are people not salty on a reveal? Seriously though, does the Smash fanbase seem kind of...anti-Nintendo these days?

Kikio4546

Smash Cadet
//tw: anime swordfighter
I think they're mad cause Pyra/Mythra is... an anime sword fighter. joking

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
When are people not salty on a reveal? Seriously though, does the Smash fanbase seem kind of...anti-Nintendo these days?
Because we've entered this bizarre timeline where Smash was never for Nintendo fans, and any newcomer that isn't the super obvious and over-predicted characters (think Crash, Doomguy, Lloyd, etc.) is met with seething anger.

However, I'm super hyped for Pyra and Mythra. Obviously, KOS-MOS was and is my most wanted, but I'm ecstatic that XC2 is finally getting the attention that it deserves in Smash. Their stage looks sick and the soundtrack additions are going to be insane. Possibly my most hyped newcomer reveal in Ultimate so far. Haters gonna hate.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Because we've entered this bizarre timeline where Smash was never for Nintendo fans, and any newcomer that isn't the super obvious and over-predicted characters (think Crash, Doomguy, Lloyd, etc.) is met with seething anger.

However, I'm super hyped for Pyra and Mythra. Obviously, KOS-MOS was and is my most wanted, but I'm ecstatic that XC2 is finally getting the attention that it deserves in Smash. Their stage looks sick and the soundtrack additions are going to be insane. Possibly my most hyped newcomer reveal in Ultimate so far. Haters gonna hate.
An unpleasant state of affairs (for me at least). Though, maybe next game without the need to have them all, licensing will refocus it a bit more toward Nintendo. At least for the base roster. Not calling for all of them to be cut, but...yeah, I'd like it to be more Nintendo centric.

Last edited:

Kikio4546

Smash Cadet
The main thing I'm concerned about this DLC pack... What would the spirit board look like? There's already a lot of XBC2 spirits, so will they just compile all the Xenoblade characters into one spirit board or will they only use XBC2 spirits?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The main thing I'm concerned about this DLC pack... What would the spirit board look like? There's already a lot of XBC2 spirits, so will they just compile all the Xenoblade characters into one spirit board or will they only use XBC2 spirits?
TBF tho, XB2 has a lot more characters to pull from than ARMS had for Min Min's Spirit Board. I would say we'll be fine.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
The only Ultimate DLC reveals that haven't had notable backlash have been Joker and Sephiroth.
  • Hero got backlash for not being a popular Western pick
  • Banjo got some hate for being irrelevant and not being well known by zoomers
  • Terry got a lot of "who?" reactions
  • Byleth was a dumpster fire lol
  • Min Min was mostly lukewarm
  • Despite having a lot of fans, Steve got quite a bit of hate as well
  • Pyra and Mythra are in a similar boat to Min Min
The less character slots remain, the more angry people get when their character doesn't make it.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
The only Ultimate DLC reveals that haven't had notable backlash have been Joker and Sephiroth.
  • Terry got a lot of "who?" reactions and was kinda outshone by the Sans Mii costume for a bit
The less character slots remain, the more angry people get when their character doesn't make it.
People were angry about Banjo and Kazooie?

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, not liking them sure, but I don't remember wide spread hate for them. Granted, I also don't really use Twitter much if at all.

Arthur97

Smash Master
There was definitely some anger about them being a "boomer pick", and the fact that they have a rather straightforward and admittedly campy moveset has soured some people over time.
I actually kind of liked that they was basic and not very...DLCy. Pyra and Mythra for that matter actually seem pretty tame. Nothing we haven't really seen before it looks like.

Plus, they had a great legacy with Nintendo in particular.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
  • Terry got a lot of "who?" reactions
Min Min received mass outrage on Resetera because they wanted diversity in the form of Twintelle.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Do they realize that Min Min is actually Korean (I think)?
She's Chinese, and they care more about skin color than nationality. Her reveal happened relatively close to that particular policeman kills black person incident, which is why they were so sensitive about not having a black person like Twintelle being playable.

And some of them said Min Min doesn't look Chinese enough because of her blonde hair, as if she is whitewashed into an American.

Last edited:

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
So, how often will Rex appear while we are playing as Pyra!Mythra? I only noticed the Final Smash. But apparently he appears in taunts too? Anyone have any answers?

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
So, how often will Rex appear while we are playing as Pyra!Mythra? I only noticed the Final Smash. But apparently he appears in taunts too? Anyone have any answers?
Final Smash and 1 taunt is my prediction. Maybe also in one of the winning screens. But I just noticed he does his "dance" in the taunt he does when using blade arts -thats quite cool,

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
Final Smash and 1 taunt is my prediction. Maybe also in one of the winning screens. But I just noticed he does his "dance" in the taunt he does when using blade arts -thats quite cool,
I would have been nice to at least display Rex like a Pokemon Trainer when Pyra and Mythra fight. Don't you agree?

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Well yes but he isnt so essentiell to pyras lore as is the pokemon trainer to the pokemon. I can understand why they have done it the way they have.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
We're still in a pandemic. It's possible that having Rex around all the time would have been a lot of extra work for little gain, and covid was the straw that broke the camel's back on that one. It's also possible that the dev team might have considered it scummy to sell the Rex Mii as an incentive for purchasing the full first pass, but to then turn around and make him playable. I don't think it's scummy, since I highly doubt anyone bought the whole first pass just because they wanted the costume. But there's a good chance the dev team felt otherwise. I'm honestly not shaken up over not being able to play as Rex, since I feel like the blades would have taken up the bulk of his moveset anyway. We pretty much made it, my dudes!

Top Bottom