• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rex Drives into Battle! (...As Pyra's Final Smash!!)

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
EZ support, Xenoblade needs another rep. There have been two games in the span of 2 years for god's sake, also Sakurai has played and written about Xenoblade 2. Not to mention how unique Rex + Pyra would be. (inb4 "generic anime swordsman XDDD") Also Xenoblade X and 2 stages + music please.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
As someone who has played a couple dozen hours of Xenoblade 2, I'll be that guy:

Generic anime swordsman XDDD LoLoLoLoLoL!

He has a generic personality, a generic weapon and a generic powerset. And Pyra? She's just one of the many pokemon he amasses over the course of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Xenoblade 2 but Litterally every other character is more interesting than Rex in just about every way (ok, that daisy dukes/crotchless parachute pants combo puts him in the lead costume-wise but aside from that).

Why isn't this a thread for Nia and Dromarch?

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
I really don't want Rex, simply because of his design.

But his two waifus? Sign me up.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Thanks for proving my point for why I left this site for two years, keep being toxic sweethearts.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
He has a generic personality, a generic weapon and a generic powerset. And Pyra?
Who else has a similar personality in Smash? (At least he HAS a personality)
Only 2 other two-handed swordsmen (Cloud and Shulk)
His powerset is unique.

I understand liking Nia more but come on, let's not act like he won't be unique.
People said the same thing about Shulk and he ended up being one of the most unique characters in Smash.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Who else has a similar personality in Smash? (At least he HAS a personality)
I don't know, who's the most generic, along for the ride, idealist, JRPG main there? I'm not familiar with Fire Emblem so...

Only 2 other two-handed swordsmen (Cloud and Shulk)
Because whether or not you have a free hand changes the fighting style how? It's not like Ike does anything with his off hand. What makes him not a two-hander?

His powerset is unique.
Please explain.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Because whether or not you have a free hand changes the fighting style how?
I mean, it typically does. Two-handed swordsmen usually hit harder but also slower whereas one-handed (or dual-wielders) hit fast.

The thing about Rex is that he seems to hit both hard and fast despite being a two-handed.

Please explain.
This thread has plenty of ideas of how Rex's moveset would work. Just look back through the previous pages. Honestly, i can see him being one of the more unique swordfighters. He won't just be "another Shulk". He'd actually have a tether grab, something no other swordsman besides the Links have.

And while i strongly disagree on Rex having a generic personality, honestly, personality means nothing when it comes to be in Smash. Otherwise, like half the roster would be gone.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Because whether or not you have a free hand changes the fighting style how? It's not like Ike does anything with his off hand. What makes him not a two-hander?
In the case of Ike yes, his fighting style is more like a two-hander. That's still only 3 characters, and Rex can still be different.
I'm not sure how far you are in the game but blade combos and blade switching are already 2 unique mechanics that can be worked with.

Sniper Maxter

Smash Cadet
Now seems like a good time for me to start working on a full moveset for this guy. I'll share with you guys and hear what you all think when I finish.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am only at Chapter 8 in XC2 as of now and it has been months since I last played it. Personally, I have been pretty disappointed not by the story or gameplay, but how the character progression and development is done. I think that aspect falls flat compared to XC1's characters. Lately I have been getting into great anime/manga now, and it has gotten me to pay more attention to stories that are mainly character driven. Shulk was more interesting as a character than Rex IMO. As interesting as Rex and Pyra would be as playable Smash characters gameplay wise, I have less of a desire to see them in the game due personal game gripes.

(Also, I have been pretty disappointed with the fanservice. As cool as it is to see Nintendo be riskier with lewdness, the fanservice is too minimal in the story. As someone that loves fan-service in anime now, it makes me disappointed. ;_; )

But hey, I have heard that Sakurai was praising XC2 apparently back in Famitsu, and I am pretty sure Rex+Pyra has a pretty good chance regardless of my opinion. :p

Good luck to you supporters. :shades:

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I am only at Chapter 8 in XC2 as of now and it has been months since I last played it. Personally, I have been pretty disappointed not by the story or gameplay, but how the character progression and development is done. I think that aspect falls flat compared to XC1's characters. Lately I have been getting into great anime/manga now, and it has gotten me to pay more attention to stories that are mainly character driven. Shulk was more interesting as a character than Rex IMO. As interesting as Rex and Pyra would be as playable Smash characters gameplay wise, I have less of a desire to see them in the game due personal game gripes.

(Also, I have been pretty disappointed with the fanservice. As cool as it is to see Nintendo be riskier with lewdness, the fanservice is too minimal in the story. As someone that loves fan-service in anime now, it makes me disappointed. ;_; )

But hey, I have heard that Sakurai was praising XC2 apparently back in Famitsu, and I am pretty sure Rex+Pyra has a pretty good chance regardless of my opinion. :p

I honestly have no idea how Rex and Pyra would work or if Pyra and Mythra would be possible (as it is definitely more ideal) because I never played the game. All I know is that I definitely support it because of the fanservice.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

About the character progression and development bit: there's still the Story DLC coming out this Fall, so there's another chance for that if that's any relief for you.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I honestly have no idea how Rex and Pyra would work or if Pyra and Mythra would be possible (as it is definitely more ideal) because I never played the game. All I know is that I definitely support it because of the fanservice.
Pyra in the background, moving to follow you if you stay in one place for a while and boosting the strength of your attacks by being nearby?
Seems a little off for such a motion-centric swordsman but it's how I'd involve her in what would otherwise clearly be his moveset.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Can't say Rex and Pyra/Mythra would be my first picks for new Xeno reps (considering how much I disliked them in XB2 even after beating it), but I can see how they could work as a fighter.
Essentially their gimmick is Driver Arts and Blade Arts. Sort of like Ice Climbers they fight side by side, but they don't have the same pool of attacks. Rex has "Driver arts", or basic attacks. In XB2 these are things like Anchor Shot, Sword Bash but in Smash these make up your aerials, tilts, jab, grab and dash attack. Pyra has "Blade arts", or more powerful attacks like Burning Sword, Flame Nova etc. These make up the Smash and Special attacks for the pair.
By landing hits with Rex you build up Pyra's attacks, shown by their tether changing color. This makes them better at KOing. Because they can attack separately, this means if one of them gets grabbed you can try to break them out of it not unlike Rosalina and Luma. But if they ARE separated you lose a lot of options. They're powerful together, but weak when separated.

I'm still personally hoping Elma gets in with a weapon switch mechanic (B changes from dual guns to swords or back, which in turn changes her smash/special attacks) and positioning-based attacks (ie her attacks move her around a lot like Sliding Slinger, Shadow Strike or have bonus effects for landing behind/ above/below an opponent etc). The fact development started in 2016 makes this a bit more likely. But XB2 did sell well and Sakurai likes it so if it's not in at launch it'll definitely be in DLC.

Best case scenario we get both of them added and Shulk stays. Here's hoping.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Rex + Pyra is basically the only newcomer I would want for my own personal bias(besides Ridley), so count me in!

I'm also confident that Rex's chances are high, due that Sakurai already worked on this game for 2 years, so he should have been aware of Xenoblade 2 and I also have this feeling with this Smash, Sakurai wants to focus a bit more on switch games, instead of picking newcomers from the previous console gen.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
As someone who has played a couple dozen hours of Xenoblade 2, I'll be that guy:

Generic anime swordsman XDDD LoLoLoLoLoL!

He has a generic personality, a generic weapon and a generic powerset. And Pyra? She's just one of the many pokemon he amasses over the course of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying Xenoblade 2 but Litterally every other character is more interesting than Rex in just about every way (ok, that daisy dukes/crotchless parachute pants combo puts him in the lead costume-wise but aside from that).

Why isn't this a thread for Nia and Dromarch?
Xenoblade 2 is weird as the supporting cast is amazing but Rex himself is kind of dull. He's serviceable but not great.I like Nia out of all of them, but I'm not expecting her to get in. If she's an assist trophy, that's good enough for me.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Found something you Rex supporters would like.

Yeah, having the Smash Ball as a Core Crystal is a nice reference. The artists are on a roll.

Ultrawing

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-4047-4263
Switch FC
SW-0401-8508-2036
I'm all for a Xenoblade 2 Character in Smash, And out of all of them Rex has the Biggest Chance While Yea, I Agree I think the other Supporting Heroes will be a better Choice, I'd Much Rather have Zeke instead of Rex, But since Rex is the Main Protagonist of XB2, He has the Biggest Chance.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Rex is literally my predicted #1 most likely character after Inkling, so I won't be surprised if he makes it.

That being said, I love the idea of him in smash.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Just got a wild prediction in my head.

I wouldn't be if at a general Nintendo direct in late summer or early fall they reveal details on the story expansion and reveal Rex in Smash 5.

D

Deleted member

I have thought about how Rex could work in Smash and I do have an idea.
Rex would fight while Pyra will be in the background to support Rex, like the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl. His neutral special would provide buffs to him. It's similar to Monado Arts, except there are no drawbacks to each mode of his. However, the catch is that Rex is locked to one buff at a time and can't use another one for about 3-5 seconds. His other specials would be...
Side: Sword Bash: It's like Shulk's Back Slash, but it doesn't propel Rex forward like Back Slash and it has a more horizontal reach than Back Slash.
Down: Rolling Smash: Rex gains super armor and can take up to 30% damage. During this time, he is able to avoid some projectiles, too.
Up: Double Spinning Edge: Rex twists upwards like Little Mac's up B on the first slash and the second slash propels him upwards more like Shulk's Air Slash.

Grab: Anchor Shot: Personally, I feel like Anchor Shot would work well as a grab. His forward throw would be a horizontal slash and his down throw would be him Toppling the enemy.

His Final Smash would either involve Pyra changing to Mythra and providing more powerful buffs or Burning Sword with Pyra.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
I think the most satisfying way of doing it would be for Pyra to also be on the stage with him, following him around. First of all, it will make for more unique gameplay. Second of all, what's even the point if he doesn't get to throw his sword to Pyra for her to attack with like in all the cutscenes/elemental attacks?

Morbi

Scavenger
I think the most satisfying way of doing it would be for Pyra to also be on the stage with him, following him around. First of all, it will make for more unique gameplay. Second of all, what's even the point if he doesn't get to throw his sword to Pyra for her to attack with like in all the cutscenes/elemental attacks?
While I definitely agree, it would also take away from the Ice Climbers a bit to the point where they only unique game-play element they offer is the fact that two of them are there. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but I would rather they took it in an even more unique direction. Maybe on the fly character swapping. If she were in the back and he tossed her the sword and she appears in front of him temporarily? Not sure.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
While I definitely agree, it would also take away from the Ice Climbers a bit to the point where they only unique game-play element they offer is the fact that two of them are there. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but I would rather they took it in an even more unique direction. Maybe on the fly character swapping. If she were in the back and he tossed her the sword and she appears in front of him temporarily? Not sure.
I made a moveset that might interest you. It's on page 3.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I haven't posted in this forum in ages, not since the Shulk speculation thread where I wrote a ****posty love story between Shulk and his sword. And then they made Xenoblade 2 where that was part of the main premise. Point is, I think Xenoblade deserves another character and Rex is the most likely pick. I mean, it's one of the best selling games on Switch. Here's to you, Rex. I know Sakurai can make a more balanced moveset than any of us can think up.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'd love it if anchor shot was basically like scorpions "get over here" but also spawning an HP potion anyone could grab if it lands. We have only one attack that heals to my knowledge, unless you count pacman and G&W's items.

It would have to be balanced that it doesnt spawn hp potions on teammates in team battle though.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
An interesting idea I read was implementing Art Cancelling into Rex's moveset. In XB2 you can cancel auto-attacks into Driver Arts, and Driver Arts into Blade Arts (or Blade changes). In Smash this could be that you can cancel Rex's attacks into Pyra's attacks when the two are together. So if Pyra's attacks are Smashes + Specials and Rex's are everything else, then you might have things like neutral air into down smash upon landing, or up tilt into up special (which would be Burning Sword I guess). And you could have Driver Arts build up Blade Arts too; every few attacks you land as Rex build up your next Blade Art Level/Affinity (shown by the color of tether between Rex/Pyra), and your Blade Level/Affinity is reset upon using a Blade Art. So you want to build up your Affinity, then land a Driver Art and cancel it into a Blade Art to do as much damage as possible.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It would certainly be odd for him to not have Pyre.

But... I really want the Polar Bear. It was the first blade to which I was introduced personally, and no other has compared even moderately.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It would certainly be odd for him to not have Pyre.

But... I really want the Polar Bear. It was the first blade to which I was introduced personally, and no other has compared even moderately.
dont forget the little girl that comes with the polar bear

Smady

Smash Master
There's a couple reasons I'd prefer Pyra, any X newcomer would make us all put our disputes abreast.

Last edited:

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Nia with Dromarch is an infinitely better choice, in my opinion. More unique weapon type, tiger-riding mechanic, much more interesting character both visually and in terms of personality. We are much more likely to get Rex and his waifus, though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nia with Dromarch is an infinitely better choice, in my opinion. More unique weapon type, tiger-riding mechanic, much more interesting character both visually and in terms of personality. We are much more likely to get Rex and his waifus, though.
that came across a little troll like

Top Bottom