• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rework 3 characters!

Otoad64

Smash Lord
the rules are simple. you choose 3 characters and give them major changes, wether you just change the specials or give them some crazy gimmicks, that's up to you, you can even change costumes and animations if you like. however they must fit into these criteria:

1 character must be a clone that you declone, this includes all echos, the links, doc and pichu.

1 character must be someone you don't really think needs a rework.

1 character must be someone you do think needs a rework.

The only things you have to change are the specials and the final smash, though they don't have to be entirely brand new moves if you don't want to change some of them, like for example you can make it so mario can shoot two fireballs at a time, you have to change them in some way though.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I know most people are gonna go for Sonic and Ganondorf, so I’ll approach this a little differently.
The Metroid Rework
1. Dark Samus
Probably the Echo who got shafted the most, Dark Samus has no actual changes from Samus despite being a different character entirely. Best she got was better roll frame data. We'll change that. I won't do normals, but they will have to be entirely changed from Samus.
Specials:
Neutral Special is the stealth field generator, holding the button has you charge a gauge above your percent. Letting go of the button renders you mostly invisible (Aside from a predator style outline), It depletes slowly and is good for messing with your opponents, predictions are much harder now.
Side Special is a charge shot, but now its a laser more than anything. Hits across stage and does more damage but takes a lot longer to charge up, fully charged makes it instantly break shields.
Down Special has Dark Samus charge up and slam the ground, creating Phazon Spike around her, breaking shields easily and being a Falcon Punch style disrespect.
Up Special has her spawn a clone who kicks her high into the air, thats it.
Gimick (Corruption: Each opponent has a Phazon Gauge above they're Percent, the more Dark Samus hits the opponent with Phazon moves, the more "corrupted" they become. The gauge depletes slowly, dealing small chip damage. Filling the gauge however will massively debuff the enemies defense and make the chip damage increase immensly until the gaugeis depleted.
Final Smash: She Becomes Metroid Prime, her original form.
Other Stuff: Let her Levitate like peach, Its like the thing she always does.
2. Ridley
As the spoiler says, these changes are way smaller in scale. I main the guy, I don't wanna mess with him too much.
Weight Changes: Make him a Super Heavyweight with Ganondorf and the others, he deserves it.
Height Changes: Make him just a little bit taller, I think he could swing for it. This balances the buffs I'm giving him a good bit.
Down Air: Make it Pogo Bounce, regular fall move. Spikes at the beginning of the move, bounces of the ground and opponents.
Down Special: Using Down Special in the air has him stab the ground horizontally, catching any opponents and dragging them across the stage with his tail, like this brawl attack.
1610906824395.jpeg
3. Samus
She just doesn't use enough powerups and feels awkward.
Neutral Special: Tapping the button has you charge it normally. Holding the button lets you angle it 360 degrees.
Shield Special: Lets you change Beam Types. Standard, Ice, Wave, and Spazer. All functioning similarly to how they do in Super Metroid.
Down Special: Lets you stay in morph ball, thats it. Press A in morph ball to drop standard bombs. Pressing B lets you drop power bombs. Down B turns you back to normal.
If all this was done I'd be entirely satisfied with Metroids representation.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
here's my first one: Daisy.

Daisy will now have a moveset inspired by the various mario spinoff games, and she now sports her tennis outfit

SPECIALS:

:GCB: Dice Roll:
She jumps up and hits a diy, getting a random number from 1-10, creating a shockwave around her, The power of which varies depending on how high the number is.

:GCB::GCR: Tennis Serve: She serves a tennis ball, it flys in an arc, after hitting someone it wil bounce off and disappear

:GCB::GCD: Golfing: She hits a golf ball with her golf club, sending it flying not very high off the ground before falling and rolling, which would still do damage

:GCB::GCU: Bike and Glider: She gets on a bike and shoots into the air, before deploying a glider and slowly falling down, the wheels are still spinning and can deal damage. If it hits someone when she lands they become buried

NORMALS:

:GCA::
Whacks people with her tennis racket

:GCA::GCR:: Swings her baaseball bat

:GCA::GCD:: Preforms a crossover with a basketball

:GCA::GCU:: Puts on a baseball bat and swipes above her in an arc shape

:GCR::GCA:: Kicks a Soccerball

SMASH ATTACKS:

:GCR::
Honks a Super Horn

:GCD:: Swings a golf club on either side of her

:GCU:: She puts a Blue Shell above her which spns around damaging anyone who touches it

FINAL SMASH: Special Shot

She does her special shot from Mario Strikers

don't really feel like doing her aerials or grabs but they would be changed as well

next i'm going to do Bowser Jr. and Kirby

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
1. Having a toss-up between Daisy and Ganondorf on that one, so I'll be detailed for Daisy and give a proof of concent for Ganondorf

Daisy
  • Trades some of her weight and the hover mechanic for an increase in mobility so high that she could function as a rushdown. This allows her to be more aggressive, but sacrifices the float cancel combos and her horizontal recovery (without the parasol) as a result
  • Peach's Melee up air and up tilt instead of the current ones
  • Toad isn't present on grab, pummel and throws, making them look like the ones Peach had in Smash 4
  • Forward smash has different items; no tilt is a baseball bat that works like Ness, down version is a hockey stick and up version is a golf club (latter is in the current moveset, it was just moved to the up-forward smash and has different knockback angle)
  • Smash 4 turnips, possibly shaped after carrots to referend the Mario Land 2 power-up and/or that one Mario Party minigame. No RNG either, she always pulls the weakest and the different faces are purely cosmetic. This gives her kill setups.
  • Single-hit Up B
  • Neutral B pulls out a flower that shoots spores, functioning like Bowser's fire breath and being similar to one of the Smash 4 customs
  • New Final Smash. Can be basically anything, but I thought of her rushing forward and having a cartoony fight with a dust cloud before smacking the foe with a baseball bat and I thought it was funny

Ganondorf
  • Many normals changed to either use a trident (Ganon's recurring weapon), magic attacks or some of his current moveset's brawling abilities, making the moveset a composite between his current moveset and his appearances as both Ganondorf and Ganon across the franchise
  • While I won't say every move that's changed among his A moves, I'll brings up lightning coming from his fingers in Fsmash to reference Aganhim and the down air being the falling punch Ganon does in OoT
  • I also won't saw every unchanged move, but I'll bring up that Warlock Punch's animation is moved to dash attack to reference a Twilight Princess cutscene and that the up tilt is in the moveset but with much shorter startup... though it can be held to reach the power it currently has in Smash
  • Trident is also used for grab and throws, emulating one of its real-life historical purposes as a stabbing weapon
  • Dead Man's Volley Neutral B
  • Side B is a toss of a trident
  • Up B is portals, referencing Phantom Ganon in OoT
  • Down B is a cape reflect
  • All of the darkness visual effects are replaced by Malice from BotW

Inspiration for many of these are from Legacy XP/Project Ganondorf and Duke of Dorks' video on improving Ganondorf

2. Sephiroth

Too recent to bring the question of whether he needs a rework or not, but...
  • Masamune is its canon length, doubling its reach :troll:

3. Sonic

No explanation needed
  • Up tilt is Sonic Up Draft from Sonic Battle
  • Down smash is Sonic Flare from Battle
  • Fair is Sonic Eagle from Battle. Has a meteor sweetspot
  • All of the three above changes are also in PM, by the way :p
  • Is as expressive as his Brawl self rather than constantly smiling like he was some kind of doll
  • To avoid confusion with the new down smash, down taunt gets changed to him playing head or tails with a ring
  • Sonic stays in place for nair while spinning, but an energy shield appears around him, which showcases the hitbox's size. Based on Sonic 3's Insta-Shield.
  • Down tilt is a slide kick based on the many, many Sonic games that have this as an option. It's a generic down tilt these days, yes, but so is his current one. This one at least references something.
  • Dash attack based on Windmill from Sonic Battle, which is basically a running spin kick.
  • New Side Special, Sonic Drive from, you guessed it, Battle. He tosses a ring and immediately performs a Homing Attack on the ring. Can be angled.
  • Down Special combines Spin Dash and Spin Charge, his current side and down specials respectively, getting Dash if you hold the button and Charge if you mash the button.
  • Buff the Final Smash. Don't care how, just buff it.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
ok, this is the character I think doesn't need a rework

I decided to give Jr. a moveset where he fights on his own two feet

SPECIALS:

:GCB: Fireball:
Bowser Jr. shoots a small, slow moving fireball which flies in a straight line and does little knockback

:GCB::GCR: Shell Throw: He throws a green Koopa Shell which spins on the ground until it hits someone or something.

:GCB::GCD: Proto Piranha: Bowser Jr. uses his paintbrush to create a Proto Piranha, it will sit where it is spawned and attack anyone who goes near it

:GCB::GCU: Clown Car: Yeah, it's still here. Bowser Jr. flys up with his Clown Car before using it to stomp down back to the ground

NORMALS:

:GCA::
does a couple swipes with his claws

:GCA::GCR:: swings his paintbrush in front of him

:GCA::GCD:: spins around in his shell

:GCA::GCU:: swipes his paintbrush above him

:GCR::GCA:: dives forward

SMASH ATTACKS:

:GCR:: Smashes his paintbrush onto the ground

:GCD:: Slams two bob-ombs into the ground which then explode

:GCU:: does a handstand and swipes his tail back and forth

FINAL SMASH: Bowser Jr's Fury

He turns into Shadow Mario, jumps into Mecha-Bowser and fires off a load of missiles which home onto the opponents

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I am 'decloning' Ganondorf:

1. Drop Warlock Punch for Dead Man's Volley. The resulting projectile homes in on the nearest opponent slowly. The attack can be charged to increase power.

2: Side B- Ganondorf grabs hold of his cape and pulls the corner in front of him. If struck by a projectile during this animation, he reflects it in a similar fashion to the way he does in Ocarina of Time. If struck by a melee attack, he counters by spinning around and cutting the attacker with his sword. The counter-attack sometimes gives the opponent time to escape if the incoming attack is not too slow.

3. Up B- Ganondorf propels himself upward abruptly. The player then has a few seconds to contol his aerial movement, dodge, and attack. He has all options available to him, but Dodging or taking damage sends him into a helpless fall. There is a 'wind box' that accompanies the initial propulsion and weakly pushes opponents back.

4. Down B- Ganondorf warms up briefly before abruptly sending out a force field in all directions that launches nearby opponents. The move can be charged for enhanced power and field radius. While charging, Ganondorf has a certain degree of flinch resistance.

5. I would leave Fsmash and Usmash as they are, but Dsmash... He strikes the ground with his fist, causing it to quake. It is similar to Charizard's Brawl Dsmash.

6. I would leave the tilts, jab, and dash attack as they are, except that the jab has slightly decreased range in exchange for greater hit stun.

7. I would leave the aerial attacks as they are.

8 As for throws... Ganondorf follows through the action of Flame Choke for his down throw. Leave the back throw and up throw as they are. Finally, Ganondorf pushes the opponent away from him with his palm in the forward throw.

That will do for Ganondorf. As you can see, I stressed a compromise of Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess-inspired content. I am not sure, however, if doing this sort of thing is generally frowned upon in making movesets.
------------------------------------------------------

Marth does not need anything, in my opinion, but...

'Tippered' attacks now cancel any melee attack that does not strike him.
------------------------------------------------------

Olimar 'needs' a command grab... or two... or three... In fact, he now has a shield special that allows desynching of the first four pikmin in the line-up. Desynched pikmin, depending on the types and numbers of those types, can be controlled remotely. When they run into an item or opponent, they collectively lift them, and can attack or throw them on command. Pressing the shield special again toggles control back to Olimar, but the desynched pikmin remain still until Olimar calls them back, or until control is toggled back to them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom