• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revival of 64 in the Midwest

WEEGRO

Smash Rookie
Revival of 64 in the Midwest is a response to The 64 Renaissance by Shears http://smashboards.com/threads/the-64-renaissance.407782/

Hi my name is Kyle Stevens (WEEGRO or sleepingdragon on kalleria) I started playing smash a couple of years ago and now I admin the Missouri Smash 64 facebook page. Shears points out a lot of great content to learn to build the 64 community having gone through it I believe 64 will continue developing nicely now with a new tier list and more tools at players disposal to become involved. My story is just one of many that have helped spark new life into an otherwise lost community. Big thanks to Jace Boster, Lux Fukuto, Juan Ruiz, Roman Tripp and Jim Orris for keeping the community together and helping grow 64 in the Midwest.

Ever since smash brothers 64 was released I never really cared to play it. I never really liked playing it how the characters moved, attacked, or even the characters themselves. I played many games throughout my teenage years until I came across Call of Duty 4 and became godly at it. It was the only game in my entire life where I felt in control of every motion and tactic to achieve the objective. This was short lived as it was also my first experience with a game dying on console. CoD4 was a damn good game and tides were heading out, I needed a new game. Years pass and my buddy and I were playing Smash Brothers off and on to pass the time. We saw the melee documentary, watched isai videos and Apex Grand Finals before becoming convinced this was a game we could get into for fun(for the time being). We both played falcon dittos for weeks convinced he was the best character in the game till I got tired of losing to him. I used to be godly and I wanted this sensation again. I began researching online and found Pikachu as a viable solution. And for weeks I was back in power dominating my friend at every turn. Eventually this snowballed into an inextinguishable daily event for both of us.

In 2013 I got PJ64k and started practicing getting dismantled by anyone and everyone and then I quit. I put down online and focused on the tactics I learned from getting manhandled and work them onto my friend slowly. There was so much content for such a simple game I was blown away and kept learning little things a couple times a week. After a few months I couldn’t play my friend the challenge was gone as his interest decreased in the game. But I really wanted to play smash 64. Off and On I would play online and really try to perceive and play out the moves on my controller. I kept looking around without any luck of a possible 64 tournament or monthly. Until one year, a group of people running a Tournament called MAXOUT which included a lot of fighting games was changing the name to KO: Knock Out, in the addition of PM, Melee and 64.

October of 2014 was exciting I was going to my first 64 tournament I was more ready than I had ever been, I felt godly. I took 3rd barely losing to a Yoshi main but I felt I could win if I played harder than them. I started to get involved in the community a little more. I outreached to facebook groups with the phrase “64?” constantly. For each and every event they posted without 64 well… I have to ask is 64 gonna be there? It was, occasionally, more often than not it wasn’t planned so it didn’t happen. Eventually a card shop about 40 minutes from where I lived offered to do 64 weeklies as they started to get more people asking after seeing my “64?” posts. Ecstatic. We all played each other and developed a small community finally. I lost money matches, lost grand finals, choked in semis, while loving every second of it. I knew that when I was beat my opponent was truly better and I applauded them. It was at these weeklies I found who I could play and learn from.

I created a Facebook page called Warrensburg Area Smash to help the local scene grow more. The idea of a growing community was getting good, my buddies and I traveled to Lawrence, Kansas where we met CT Lux, played a small 64 tourney and expressed interest in holding more tournaments. All while traveling the same distance in the opposite direction to meet Ghosty in Columbia, Missouri. It was at the first monthly he ran I bribed him with an ice cream cone to let 64 be an event. Ever since then, 64 has been run and even as of a month ago started recording 64 matches.

Traveling became much more of a thing for me after I went to my first tourney in October of 2014 going from all over Missouri too far off places.

5 January 2015 – Denver, CO - Small Tourney / Friendlies

21 January 2015 – Chicago, IL – E2C 11 – 5th

18th – 22nd February 2015 – (Jackson, MI – Friendlies) (New Orleans, LA – Friendlies) (Little Rock, AK – Friendlies)

22nd March 2015 – Lawrence, KS – The HYPE! Train

28th March 2015 – Warrensburg, MO – Ran my first tournament in my home town

13th April 2015 – Des Moines, IA – Spring Showdown - 3rd

16th May 2015 – Denver, CO – Revelations 2 – 4th singles, 2nd doubles with M2K

30th May 2015 – Rocheport, MO – CoMoMo 4 – 1st

27th June 2015 – Columbia, MO – CoMoMo 5 – 2nd

Basically I played what I could in the Midwest Circuit

The local 64 community here has had its ups and downs. Back in April I was still attending weeklies, recently 64 had moved from weekly to biweekly, 420 had passed, school finals were upon us, the shop owner just took a 3 week break from hosting 64 and was about to host it again. When I realized finals were going to need my full attention I could not attend the next 64 tourney thus when it came time to host another one the shop owner simply complied with demands of more PM doubles thus eliminating 64 weeklies all together for the 64 community. It was at this point I needed to give 64 players something else. I realized all other smash games had plenty of local support elsewhere but no 64 support. So I changed Warrensburg Area Smash into Missouri Smash 64 to help create a foothold of 64 players in our region. We are slowly building but the scene in the Midwest (IA,MO,KS, CO, NE) has never been stronger. Since the release of the melee documentary and Smash 4 the interest for tournaments grew and the chance to increase 64’s player base is now growing. Having talked to many players traveling all over the Midwest, no one said it would be easy but growth is happening without a doubt. Please go support Missouri Smash 64 and other Midwest groups to help connect more players https://www.facebook.com/groups/694864443943048/.

Last edited:

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
holding it down in iowa here. doing what i can to grow the scene, but my major projects are slow-going

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Talk to Soulpech (Colten White) in the Ohio community, he's tried to get 64 started up there back in november to little avail. Would be cool if you guys all got a scene!

Antwon420

Smash Apprentice
I would love to have a 64 scene in Southern Florida. There is only one city that has a smash scene and thats Orlando which is 2.5 hours away. I literally have no one close to as skilled as me to play with. Maybe one day there will be a bigger smash 64 scene in south florida.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Shoutouts to Weegro, whatup homie.

I outreached to facebook groups with the phrase “64?” constantly.
Still does this consistently. I invited my entire friends list to my band's concert, including Weegro, and he actually asked if 64 would be at the concert. He doesn't **** around.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Revival of 64 in the Midwest is a response to The 64 Renaissance by Shears http://smashboards.com/threads/the-64-renaissance.407782/

Hi my name is Kyle Stevens (WEEGRO or sleepingdragon on kalleria) I started playing smash a couple of years ago and now I admin the Missouri Smash 64 facebook page. Shears points out a lot of great content to learn to build the 64 community having gone through it I believe 64 will continue developing nicely now with a new tier list and more tools at players disposal to become involved. My story is just one of many that have helped spark new life into an otherwise lost community. Big thanks to Jace Boster, Lux Fukuto, Juan Ruiz, Roman Tripp and Jim Orris for keeping the community together and helping grow 64 in the Midwest.

Ever since smash brothers 64 was released I never really cared to play it. I never really liked playing it how the characters moved, attacked, or even the characters themselves. I played many games throughout my teenage years until I came across Call of Duty 4 and became godly at it. It was the only game in my entire life where I felt in control of every motion and tactic to achieve the objective. This was short lived as it was also my first experience with a game dying on console. CoD4 was a damn good game and tides were heading out, I needed a new game. Years pass and my buddy and I were playing Smash Brothers off and on to pass the time. We saw the melee documentary, watched isai videos and Apex Grand Finals before becoming convinced this was a game we could get into for fun(for the time being). We both played falcon dittos for weeks convinced he was the best character in the game till I got tired of losing to him. I used to be godly and I wanted this sensation again. I began researching online and found Pikachu as a viable solution. And for weeks I was back in power dominating my friend at every turn. Eventually this snowballed into an inextinguishable daily event for both of us.

In 2013 I got PJ64k and started practicing getting dismantled by anyone and everyone and then I quit. I put down online and focused on the tactics I learned from getting manhandled and work them onto my friend slowly. There was so much content for such a simple game I was blown away and kept learning little things a couple times a week. After a few months I couldn’t play my friend the challenge was gone as his interest decreased in the game. But I really wanted to play smash 64. Off and On I would play online and really try to perceive and play out the moves on my controller. I kept looking around without any luck of a possible 64 tournament or monthly. Until one year, a group of people running a Tournament called MAXOUT which included a lot of fighting games was changing the name to KO: Knock Out, in the addition of PM, Melee and 64.

October of 2014 was exciting I was going to my first 64 tournament I was more ready than I had ever been, I felt godly. I took 3rd barely losing to a Yoshi main but I felt I could win if I played harder than them. I started to get involved in the community a little more. I outreached to facebook groups with the phrase “64?” constantly. For each and every event they posted without 64 well… I have to ask is 64 gonna be there? It was, occasionally, more often than not it wasn’t planned so it didn’t happen. Eventually a card shop about 40 minutes from where I lived offered to do 64 weeklies as they started to get more people asking after seeing my “64?” posts. Ecstatic. We all played each other and developed a small community finally. I lost money matches, lost grand finals, choked in semis, while loving every second of it. I knew that when I was beat my opponent was truly better and I applauded them. It was at these weeklies I found who I could play and learn from.

I created a Facebook page called Warrensburg Area Smash to help the local scene grow more. The idea of a growing community was getting good, my buddies and I traveled to Lawrence, Kansas where we met CT Lux, played a small 64 tourney and expressed interest in holding more tournaments. All while traveling the same distance in the opposite direction to meet Ghosty in Columbia, Missouri. It was at the first monthly he ran I bribed him with an ice cream cone to let 64 be an event. Ever since then, 64 has been run and even as of a month ago started recording 64 matches.

Traveling became much more of a thing for me after I went to my first tourney in October of 2014 going from all over Missouri too far off places.

5 January 2015 – Denver, CO - Small Tourney / Friendlies

21 January 2015 – Chicago, IL – E2C 11 – 5th

18th – 22nd February 2015 – (Jackson, MI – Friendlies) (New Orleans, LA – Friendlies) (Little Rock, AK – Friendlies)

22nd March 2015 – Lawrence, KS – The HYPE! Train

28th March 2015 – Warrensburg, MO – Ran my first tournament in my home town

13th April 2015 – Des Moines, IA – Spring Showdown - 3rd

16th May 2015 – Denver, CO – Revelations 2 – 4th singles, 2nd doubles with M2K

30th May 2015 – Rocheport, MO – CoMoMo 4 – 1st

27th June 2015 – Columbia, MO – CoMoMo 5 – 2nd

Basically I played what I could in the Midwest Circuit

The local 64 community here has had its ups and downs. Back in April I was still attending weeklies, recently 64 had moved from weekly to biweekly, 420 had passed, school finals were upon us, the shop owner just took a 3 week break from hosting 64 and was about to host it again. When I realized finals were going to need my full attention I could not attend the next 64 tourney thus when it came time to host another one the shop owner simply complied with demands of more PM doubles thus eliminating 64 weeklies all together for the 64 community. It was at this point I needed to give 64 players something else. I realized all other smash games had plenty of local support elsewhere but no 64 support. So I changed Warrensburg Area Smash into Missouri Smash 64 to help create a foothold of 64 players in our region. We are slowly building but the scene in the Midwest (IA,MO,KS, CO, NE) has never been stronger. Since the release of the melee documentary and Smash 4 the interest for tournaments grew and the chance to increase 64’s player base is now growing. Having talked to many players traveling all over the Midwest, no one said it would be easy but growth is happening without a doubt. Please go support Missouri Smash 64 and other Midwest groups to help connect more players https://www.facebook.com/groups/694864443943048/.
awesome post! The way you started playing smash is very similiar to how i started. Me and a buddy of mine started playing casually and totally unaware of a competetive scene. He always had the edge on me even as we both got better and better. Soon i got so frustrated and just wanted to beat him so i googled the game out of curiosity and saw my first competetive match and was completely blown away. I knew i just had to learn to play in such an amazing way as i saw in those matches. It took about 6 months of practice but i eventually surpassed my friend and the more i got into the game the less he cared for it unfortunately. Even so i still have a strong drive to improve and surpass anyone that is better than me.

btw i recently went to a tourney in Louisiana and got to play some good players in XKCP and Zero idk if u met them when you went to new orleans

flmo

Smash Rookie
I'm considering bringing my old N64 to weeklies, but the problem is everybody wants to play melee usually, and we don't have many setups in the first place. Plus, nobody brings controllers for 64 and the ones I have are pretty bad. Has anyone toyed around with smash 64 for the wii?

Dwreck

Smash Cadet
if the wii is all you have for a setup i'd still bring it to the gauge the interest in your community for the game.

the standard for tournies is using a n64 console though

flmo

Smash Rookie
I'm just saying it'd be easier since people can plug in their gamecube controllers that way instead of relying on my busted old n64 ones. I only have two controllers anyways, so it would only be able to be two people at a time, so I was thinking that on a wii it would allow for many more people to easily play

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I'm just saying it'd be easier since people can plug in their gamecube controllers that way instead of relying on my busted old n64 ones. I only have two controllers anyways, so it would only be able to be two people at a time, so I was thinking that on a wii it would allow for many more people to easily play
it would also prevent actual 64 players from being able to play with the controller they prefer

Last edited:

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
"all" of the best players

except potts and a bunch of others lol

it's gonna be a great tournament

Last edited:

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
we rivals because we both do smart things and then follow them up with mistakes lmao

Also, CREW BATTLE HYPE. Iowa takes it over Missouri, just as it should be.

Last edited:

Dwreck

Smash Cadet
shout outs to everyone that came out, it was great seeing everyone that regularly attends KS tournaments plus some new faces
props to MN for making the trek down

we didn't have any recording set up this time, kinda sucks we can't rewatch Jim taking 9(?) stocks to close out the crew battle for Iowa

Upcoming midwest 64 tournies

Super Smash Bros 64 Tournament Sponsored by Gameroom (Lincoln, NE AUG14)
https://www.facebook.com/events/402536606608643/

Hype! GO (Lawrence, KS AUG 15-16)
https://www.facebook.com/events/407104489490345/

Show Me Your Moves (urbana, IL AUG 29-30)
https://www.facebook.com/events/844264659014578/

Iowa is more than likely going to show up strong to Hype! GO with a full car

Dwreck

Smash Cadet
iowa has a full car at least mixed with iowans and Minnesotans going to hype go

Top Bottom