• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Reverse) Up tilt out of Dash?

JOJO94

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vintage_Rider
Is there a way to up tilt out of a dash? I've been thinking about tech chasing with a reverse up-tilt (Link's up tilt goes all the way to the ground behind him). I would think that you need to crouch cancel then uptilt (which is still kinda hard), but what about the pivot? Is there an efficient way? Because Dash > Crouch Cancel > Pivot > Up-tilt sounds crazy hard.

I guess I could moonwalk > Crouch Cancel > Up-tilt, that sounds possible. But my moonwalk is not mastered yet, so I would have to work on it.

Do you guys have any other idea? To do a pivot tilt out of a dash? Or some other way...

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
Honestly by the time it reaches Link's back dtilt will have been faster and so would Link's grab. But reverse up tilt looks cooler and its a low lag move, so maybe there is utility.

Easiest thing to do is dash WD reverse up tilt, allows you time to prep tilt while sliding and you don't have to crouch cancel the dash.

Reverse up tilts are quite easy once you figure out the trick. You can do back to back alternating up tilts by just angling slightly diagonal in each direction (I.e. half way up tilt then 1 o'clock, 11 o'clock, repeat.). If you're going left, then you can just do a 1oclock half tilt on the analog and achieve a reverse up tilt.

Or you can do a subtle fast mini shoruken motion in the reverse direction, delay A slightly to not get upsmash of course.

For tech chasing I usually just dash attack since it pops up, but it does have end lag.

Bombs are incredible for tech chasing.

Last edited:

JOJO94

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vintage_Rider
Easiest thing to do is dash WD reverse up tilt, allows you time to prep tilt while sliding and you don't have to crouch cancel the dash.

...Bombs are incredible for tech chasing.
The problem with a wavedash is that it adds 16 frames of lag to an already tight time margin. If you could just run toward the roll, somehow pivot uTilt, pivot takes only one frame, so it is technically better.

OMG I never realized you could tech chase with bombs! How do you set this Up? You can't grab with a bomb in hands, so how can you get the bomb out fast enough to punish a tech?

Last edited:
Skip that crouch and foxtrot pivot it if you want to get technical.

And it sounds like you should work on other stuff instead. i guess a regular dash attack will fit the situation just as good, no?

Last edited:

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
The problem with a wavedash is that it adds 16 frames of lag to an already tight time margin. If you could just run toward the roll, somehow pivot uTilt, pivot takes only one frame, so it is technically better.

OMG I never realized you could tech chase with bombs! How do you set this Up? You can't grab with a bomb in hands, so how can you get the bomb out fast enough to punish a tech?
Pull the bomb as they are being hit away to an impending tech chase scenario. It's used when you know Link's slow speed can't close the distance fast enough. Or to limit their options e.g. they are hit up to a platform, you can throw a bomb upwards on where they land and Uair the other side....

Pivot reverse utilt is not useful for Link his dash isn't good enough IMO. Dash cc takes longer than WD which is why I mentioned it, also backwards WD means you don't have to pivot or reverse anything.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
May as well go with a dsmash or grab. Pivot up-tilt is insanely difficult and not reliable. Run -> run cancel -> d-smash is easy and fast. I think it is also better against crouch cancel, especially if you get the stronger hits. Grab is usually going to be the fastest option and leads to solid punishes, but it can be a bit daunting to throw out due to the lag on miss.

Top Bottom