• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse Hydroplaning?

CCCM89

Smash Ace
did I just discover something? about an hour or two ago, I decided to practice shellshifting and pump slides. to I work on getting the timing down on hydroplaning out of a pivot, but I can't exactly get the controller to register just a light tilt, so I decide to smash the stick diagonally down, and that seemed to work. so, I practice this a few times, get the timing down when on one occasion, I don't let up off the diagonal tilt fast enough and suddenly Squirtle's crawlling backwards really really fast.
I've done it a few items now, and it seems to take the momentum you would use to hydroplane forwards and instead adds it to the backwards crawl. you can still let up after you start sliding backwards and do any number of attacks.

One thing I've noticed though, is that I can only get it to work when dashing to the left. when I try dashing right and doing this, I just stall. I think it might just be me and my controller though.
anyway, did I discover something here, or did I just stumble upon a use for hydroplaning that nobody bothered to put in the wiki?

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I feel like this is known already by your description of it, Do you have the clip showing what you did? I have a mental image of what you did but when you say "really really fast" I feel it's something beyond the known hydrocrawling backwards

CCCM89

Smash Ace
you know what hydroplaning is, right?
dash left>pivot to the right>gently turn left at just the right time to send you sliding to the right.

well, what I found was just like that, only instead of sliding halfway across final destination to the right, I slide maybe a character length to the right, then more then half the stage to the left.

and if hydrocrawling is just shellshifting into a backwards crawl at double crawl speed, then this is that with the addition of the full momentum of a perfect hydroplane being siphoned towards said crawl. think x8 speed or more going over half the distance of final destination. I'm sure I'm describing it poorly, but I'll try to get a clip of it next time I'm at a smashfest.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
omg im finding mason everywhere
LOLOMG

well, what I found was just like that, only instead of sliding halfway across final destination to the right, I slide maybe a character length to the right, then more then half the stage to the left.

and if hydrocrawling is just shellshifting into a backwards crawl at double crawl speed, then this is that with the addition of the full momentum of a perfect hydroplane being siphoned towards said crawl. think x8 speed or more going over half the distance of final destination. I'm sure I'm describing it poorly, but I'll try to get a clip of it next time I'm at a smashfest.

oh no nooo. Your description of it was fine but I'll try it out some and reflect off your description and let ya know. This seems like good stuff to the max

CCCM89

Smash Ace
jsut remember, it only works going to the left so, dash left, pivot, diagonal down and left tilt/smash(more towards down than left). depending on whether or not you hold the stick diagonally, you'll either hydroplane to the right like normally and stay facing right, or you'll crawl backwards at ludicrous speed.

EDIT: I was wrong, it works going to the right as well, but the timing is harder. if you hold the stick down to crawl, you jsut kill all momentum, so you need to hold down and right just long enough to start going backwards. anymore and, again, you stop on a dime.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Doing it myself atm, and the slide left backwards is definitely easier and longer slide range. But like you said sliding right backwards is harder and I barely get any slide distance but it's noticeable. Now I'm even finding good mix-ups to shellshift into foxtrot shellshifting.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
well, I'm glad it's useful. I can see it being good for approaches and retreating from bad positioning. it doesn't hurt that people won't know if you're going for this or a regular hydroplane. Plus the fact that it stops your momentum going right if done wrong could be good for mindgames.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
What you found was actually an old AT called "The Reverse Shift" which actually plays a huge roll in squirtle's hydroplaning not being gimicky as it allows for a constant mix up with movement. It is also outstanding for helping edgeguard opponents while you are on the stage.

I wrote a big thread on hydroplaning as a whole a while back and highlighted the reverse shift since it is the most under utilized AT squirtle has. You had it right as far as inputs go it is a normal hydroplane, but you hold the stick in the diagonal position after inputting a hydroplane and this will occur.

Thread link: http://smashboards.com/threads/hydroplaning-a-gimmick-or-an-actual-necessity-to-squirtle.302471/

Top Bottom