• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse Aerial True Shoryuken (RATSRK) and Potential Applications

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Hello Ryu mains.

I want to discuss the use of Ryu's reverse aerial TSRK as a potential mixup and KO option.
I first noticed this technique in For Glory versus a Marth main several months ago. We were both at high percents and he was using jumping weaving Fair to create an offensive wall. I was using short hop Bairs to try keeping him out. He decided to breach my defense with full hop Fair. I proceeded to input RAR Bair to meet his attack and accidentally input jumping reverse TSRK which ate the Fair (thanks to invincibility frames) and secured an unexpected KO.
I replicated this technique again (on accident of course) playing a Captain Falcon on For Glory.
This Falcon frequently pressured with short hop/full hop aerials. My TSRK ended up eating his Fair.
I replicated this in Training mode via the following method:

Run forward* x TSRK input x reverse jump (as you'd do to perform a reverse aerial rush) x A/B

*This is probably possible with walking; however, performing it out of a run is much simpler

Now that I know this technique is feasible, what can we do with it, especially considering how much easier it is to pull off forward jumping TSRK or even forward jumping regular SRK? One use is to create a ruse by creating a wall of pressure with reverse Bairs. Suppose the opponent determines they can breach this defense with their disjointed aerial/sword aerial (the aformentioned Marth and Fair for example). The Ryu can input this option to beat out their aerial, putting them in a disadvantaged state above Ryu or even netting a stock.
Of course, the risk is high for this technique as you're left even more open by performing aerial TSRK. That's why I propose this as a mixup or a rarely used option.
I'm wondering if this technique can see use versus other aerials that are tough to get past, such as Ness' multi hit Fair. EDIT: Tested this versus a level 9 Ness in Smash Mode as shown below (Ness was at 116% and Ryu at 89% before netting the KO at 00:34 seconds):

The technique intercepted the Fair, which is nice. However, I'm more concerned about the application versus players, not computers.
How do you guys feel about this option? Does it have any viability? And what other scenarios can this be useful?

Last edited:
Top Bottom