• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revenge of the Ninja Master: Joe Musashi makes the cut!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

(Disclaimer: I am aware that this is in fact Jyro Musashi, the protagonist of the 3DS game. But since the uniform is the same, and it's the best image I could find, for now, it'll do)

Who is Joe Musashi?

Joe Musashi is the protagonist of one if not the oldest SEGA IPs that still has presence today.
His first game appeared on a number of systems including the very own NES.

Outside of that, he has also appeared on Nitendo systems through the VC.
The original arcade was rereleased
on the Wii Shop channel.
Shinobi has a Nintendo exclusive game of the same name (known as Shinobi 3D in Japan) but with a different protagonist, Jyro Musashi, Joe's father.

Yeah, but WHO is he?

Joe is a ninja master from the Shinobi clan of Oboro.
His first task was to rescue the kidnapped children of the Oboro clan by the criminal organization Zeed, and bring them down in the process.
From then on, the evil organization Zeed has attempted to come back in many ways, using similar names, like Neo Zeed, Cyber Zeed, etc.

How would he play like?

Joe's Playstyle involves the use of his kunai to attack from a distance.
These are limited to a max of 6, but Joe replenishes them over time. (2 seconds to recharge a single kunai)
He also uses a variety of ninja weapons like his trusty sword, kunai for melee attacks, nunchucks, kusarigama for grabbing, and even his dog!

Joe's main gimmicks consist of having a limited supply of Kunai to throw at opponents. And they replenish over time.

But he also has Ninjutsu.
Everytime Joe deals a total of 100% damage, a scroll icon will appear over his avatar.
This means he can now use Ninjutsu, which come in 5 flavors:

Lightning Dragon: Signature ninjutsu, which grants Joe 3 frames of invincibility, to absorb any attack without taking damage.

Fire Dragon: A fiery vortex is created around Joe, dealing medium damage with moderate knockback. But also grants Joe kunai with TWICE damage output. Wears off when hit.

Water Dragon: Allows Joe to jump twice as high. Also, for a minute, Kunai will be replenished in half the time.

Earth Dragon: Makes Joe slightly faster and stronger, but most importantly, when he shields an attack, the attack is automatically parried. After 15 seconds, this wears off, and Joe is left with an additional 100% damage to his damage counter.

Pulverization: Joe sacrifices a stock to deal mortal damage to enemies within a blast radius. (Basically, becomes an Electrode).

MUSIC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J96N47SOKuw&list=PLLnS0E-9cqSaIVaCrW3DHuRtqarDK_5km&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PdvVd-t1Vo&list=PL40W_mj8t9xqb8nGcIy9EipD5NtU8SggN&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBNF4jSLxJ0&list=PL40W_mj8t9xqb8nGcIy9EipD5NtU8SggN&index=5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGnEg085j6U&index=14&list=PL40W_mj8t9xqb8nGcIy9EipD5NtU8SggN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVmaou-eQfY&index=8&list=PLv1tYJbe3vGMPSXGhDDzJg-6Nym77elod

STAGE

Zeed Castle top.

Final Words:

Joe Musashi is one of the most iconic gaming ninjas. Among the famous ones, I'd dare say he was the first. He was even SEGA's mascot for a brief moment, they say. (I bet around the time Opa Opa was considered the mascot, before Alex Kidd).

I would LOVE for him to be the next SEGA character, because after Sonic, this guy pops into my mind as the perfect SEGA rep.

Is he likely? Well, it's not impossible. But not really likely. Not for Ultimate at least. Still, I'm such a big fan of the character and his games, that I felt the urge to whip up a support thread to see if there are any other Shinobi fans out there.

- = - The Ninja council - = -
cj.
tonygameman
Speed Weed

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
While I'm a fan of Ryu Hayabusa, I actually think that the original video game ninja himself deserves a chance. So, count me in!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
While I'm a fan of Ryu Hayabusa, I actually think that the original video game ninja himself deserves a chance. So, count me in!
I am so down for this. Joe's awesome, and we're lacking in some classic SEGA so get him the **** in there
Thank you for bringing this thread back to life!
I'm a huge fan of the games but I never see people talking about them.

I got inspired after playing the 3DSnversion cause... Omg, he had a smash moveset of his own right there, almost.

Anyway, I'll work on updating the supporters section.

Just noticed I either made a mistake on the title, or merged both The Revenge of Shinobi and Return of the Ninja Master titles.

Top Bottom