• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Returning to the Dinosaur (Help a Brother Out)

EZえん

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I started playing smash in 2014, and pretty soon into my career i started maining yoshi. I had a good amount of tech in termsof movement and DJC stuff, as well as a good idea on how to edge guard. However for the year or so I mained the character, I never really learned how to play the game the right way, by this I mean I never learned how to think, how to adapt, how to get good. I was your ordinary no-brain tech spammer that autopilots into the hopes of being good. Since yoshi I mained link, where i learned a good amount about thinking, then samus who I became very good with (became a relevant player taking sets off of top and high players in my region (florida) as well as making out of pools at larger tourneys. Samus taught me all about the rps of melee and how to go about beating options and thinking about what options my opponent is choosing, this was definitely the biggest growth in my career. Then I mained sheik, falcon, and fox where I learned the flowcharts of top tiers, as well as the arts of Dash dancing and camping, and I got good at relying on reaction when I can rather than going off a hunch that doesnt always end well.

Its 2016 now, and I think I'm going to go back to my yoshi now that I understand the game at a much higher level, and yoshi was always a fun character (both to play as and practice as), and enjoying the game should be a top reason for playing it. Now I'm not just gonna say "I'm yoshi, I'm having fun, I don't need to be good." So my question is what do I need to be practicing with this character so that I can utilize my thoughts correctly and make the most off every hit. If you can provide a link to other relevant discussions, or give me a solid brief answer for a part of this that you feel confident at, it would be much appreciated.

However, know that I will likely ask you followup questions (Lol) and just a disclaimer: If I sound like im arguing with you its very likely that im just trying to get a better understanding of what you mean.

ABAP Kidney

Smash Rookie
Yeah man that's still around, and it's like sometimes super active (sometimes not though.)

EZえん

Smash Apprentice
can you guys add me, i used to be in it a long time ago lmao. my skype is kylchas i think its a pic of a breloom or something rn

Festive

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshwa
3DS FC
0963-1631-8800
Hey there. Be sure to check out this post in to get any information you might have missed
1. http://smashboards.com/threads/some-yoshi-information.351635/
Very very informative topic about Yoshi's frame data as well as other information put together by Perhapsman and many other Yoshi mains.
Add festiveforlife on skype and I'll add you to the skype group. Be sure to look around the Yoshi forum before asking any questions please! Or just ask in the skype group, thanks!

Last edited:

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Movement would be top priority, in my opinion. Yoshi moves differently than any other character, and you'll need to readjust to how his double jump works. Wavelands are also crucial..

For Yoshi discussions outside of SmashBoards I'd also like to recommend Discord, which I feel does a better job than Skype for this kind of discussion since you can have multiple channels in each Discord group, with text and voice chat being localized to everyone contained in each channel.

Last edited:

Doxy

Smash Rookie
I also switched away from Yoshi for a while due to frustration and picked up sheik. After learning other characters options with sheik, I played yoshi again and had a blast I was also slightly buzzed which I think just makes it more fun with all the platform movement. Anyways, what I do now is practice against people, CPU's :( , and just by myself. I also spend time writing down my ideas since it makes them more conscientious. For example I will write down a flow chart on how I want to edge guard against fox based on how they recover, what their percentage is etc.

EZえん

Smash Apprentice
I also switched away from Yoshi for a while due to frustration and picked up sheik. After learning other characters options with sheik, I played yoshi again and had a blast.
Isnt it the best

Top Bottom