• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Returning to Smash; but having trouble...

DMan64

Smash Cadet
So I decided to take a break from Smash for a bit since life has recently been extremely busy and have wanted to do other things. However, I have since picked up the game again, but I can't seem to do good. I know what I'm supposed to do when I play, but I find that I just can't do it...it's especially discouraging since characters I used to have an easy time against now once again give me trouble. Any one got any advice to get past this, aside from start practicing more.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
In the past, I took six-month breaks from video games every year and felt rusty myself when I started playing again. This year, I've reduced these break times to around one-and-a-half weeks. During this time, I'd peruse many guides and watch many tournament matches. But yeah...the best thing to do is practice everything y'all previously learned and have fun with it. It takes time and patience.

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
Go up against a low level AI until you can 5 stock them, then go up another level until you can do the same thing until you're good again. That's how I get out of slumps anyway.

Yuki-Trey

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2294-9064-0138
I also recently began playing smash again, and I main jigglypuff (you can laugh if you want) so I have to try and get back in the groove of patience and reads for rest, but what I would recommend which really helped me was just to go to training and start stringing my knowledge back together that way. Eventually when you get comfortable with the character your playing with again, try some friendlys or maybe even online if your confident

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Go to training mode and get the feel for rapid movement and tech to help de-rust. Start watching videos on your character (like old guides or tournament sets) to get the feel for what the character can do. After that, start playing against your friends more and get back into how you would normally play a match and watching your opponent. Or you could just watch your friends play and get motivated once more.

All in all, do what you'd normally do before the hiatus. Have fun!

Last edited:

DMan64

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all of the advice, I've been practicing whenever I can and have started to get back the flow of my play style again, though I still have a few things to work on.

Top Bottom