• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Returned my ssbu to gamestop

Tiko

Smash Rookie
Ive played melee before this one. And let me just say melee was better. This game has to many projectiles flying around and to many cheesey bread and butter characters. Ive given it a very fair chance but the imbalances are to many and the small community seems to like it that way.

So have fun everyone hopefully the next one will be balanced appropriately.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
At least you get to see more than six characters in top level play for Ultimate...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ive played melee before this one. And let me just say melee was better. This game has to many projectiles flying around and to many cheesey bread and butter characters. Ive given it a very fair chance but the imbalances are to many and the small community seems to like it that way.

I enjoyed Melee too dude. But brushing off Ultimate like it's a mediocre? You have poor taste. Yes, Melee is definitely worth going back to with all the different modes that Ultimate has cut, but Ultimate clearly has the superior roster and stage selection in both quality and numbers. Even if Ultimate isn't your favorite Smash, Ultimate is clearly by definition and context the Ultimate Smash if any due to having all the veterans in the series, almost every stage in the series, fan favorite newcomers that people have been requesting for years, 8 player Smash, ect. The only thing that Ultimate lacks to be perfection is all the different cut modes that were in the past games like Adventure Mode, All Star Mode, Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, Event Matches, Smash Run, ect as well as a better working online experience. Other than that, Ultimate is the Ultimate Smash.

Tiko

Smash Rookie
Do I sense a salty Melee Player?
just someone who likes some balance in their games.

I enjoyed Melee too dude. But brushing off Ultimate like it's a mediocre? You have poor taste. Yes, Melee is definitely worth going back to with all the different modes that Ultimate has cut, but Ultimate clearly has the superior roster and stage selection in both quality and numbers. Even if Ultimate isn't your favorite Smash, Ultimate is clearly by definition and context the Ultimate Smash if any due to having all the veterans in the series, almost every stage in the series, fan favorite newcomers that people have been requesting for years, 8 player Smash, ect. The only thing that Ultimate lacks to be perfection is all the different cut modes that were in the past games like Adventure Mode, All Star Mode, Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, Event Matches, Smash Run, ect as well as a better working online experience. Other than that, Ultimate is the Ultimate Smash.
Ultimate has alot but what it didn’t have was balanced play. Every round is another round of dodging and weaving through projectiles that with enough practice become bread and butter playstyles for the person using them.

at least melee projectiles werent so plenty to the point that playing bowser or gannondorf etc basically became non-viable. Until they nerf projectiles across the board or give non projectile using characters better means of countering them then this game will remain another dud in my book.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ultimate has alot but what it didn’t have was balanced play. Every round is another round of dodging and weaving through projectiles that with enough practice become bread and butter playstyles for the person using them.

at least melee projectiles werent so plenty to the point that playing bowser or gannondorf etc basically became non-viable. Once they nerf projectiles across the board or give non projectile using characters better means of countering them then this game will remain another dud in my book.
I won't discuss with you any farther, but honestly I think Ultimate is more balanced than Melee is especially in terms of the roster.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

at least melee projectiles werent so plenty to the point that playing bowser or gannondorf etc basically became non-viable. Until they nerf projectiles across the board or give non projectile using characters better means of countering them then this game will remain another dud in my book.
Melee? Balanced? That's like saying Fire Emblem is a bad franchise. It's just not right. Though I honestly can't argue with your statement on projectiles.
Seriously, it is pretty bad sometimes.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I find it hard to compare Ultimate and Melee in terms of balance. One has 24 characters, the other has 76-one has been around for 19 years, the other hasn’t even been around for two. They’re such different games. But since I love Ultimate so much, I’ll try and defend it. If your complaint is projectiles, learn to beat zoners. If your complaint is balance, then get off of quickplay and look at some tier lists. If your complaint is bread and butters, remember that nearly every character has at least one. (Also you can try to avoid the move that starts the bread and butter, and if you get hit by it, DI appropriately.) Finally, even if you don’t like Ultimate competitively, at least enjoy it for what its meant to be-a party fighting game that clashes titans of gaming against each other. And in that regard, it is undoubtedly the best game in the series.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ive given it a very fair chance but the imbalances are to many and the small community seems to like it that way.

These statements are what’s getting me because it’s widely known that Melee is one of the most unbalanced fighting games out there with near every high level playing either Fox or Falco. You’re lucky to get the odd Captain Falcon and Marth in there so I’m not sure you actually mean “balance”. All in all Ultimate is FAR more balanced than Melee.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I mean, there's like, more viable characters in Smash Ultimate than there are playable characters in Smash Melee. You may be trying to use the word "balance" to mean something else, but it's generally understood to mean "disparity in power between characters." In that regard, there has absolutely never been a more balanced version of Smash Bros. Maybe you don't like projectiles being strong, and Smash Melee has (generally) weaker projectiles so that's why you prefer it. That'd be a valid stance to take. It doesn't seem to be the one you're taking though, and I will state that whatever characters you feel are viable in Melee because projectiles aren't good (Bowser/Ganon/etc) are still non-viable for other reasons. They're way too slow to keep up with the better characters. and have a really hard time coming back to the stage when knocked off.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Melee is actually far more imbalanced than Ultimate, due to having far less viable fighters. Zelda at least has more viability in Ultimate, unlike in Melee, where you're pretty much considered stupid to be using her in competitive play. Similarly, Bowser and Pichu are not trash, especially the former, who has fared much better after Brawl.

It's also worth noting that Smash 4 and Ultimate greatly improved one of the biggest weaknesses that Fox and Falco had in Melee; their overall recovery.

Tiko

Smash Rookie
These statements are what’s getting me because it’s widely known that Melee is one of the most unbalanced fighting games out there with near every high level playing either Fox or Falco. You’re lucky to get the odd Captain Falcon and Marth in there so I’m not sure you actually mean “balance”. All in all Ultimate is FAR more balanced than Melee.
ive never gone to the super competitively tryhard tournys but have done semi tryhard local play for melee and zelda/bowser were my favorite pics seem to perform fine for me. I don’t look to the best of the best for games for balance i look at your average player that makes up most of the population.

and in that regard projectiles In this game are busted. The spammy characters grant to much of an advantage. Even against more veteran players. It was when i made elite smash with krool by spending about 80-95% of every match Strictly using projectiles. My crown, my cannon and my suction (exceptions made vs reflectors) that i decided this game wasn’t for me.

i did feel bad for this one bowser that seemed to be extremely good but the map favored my projectile spam and he didnt really have an answer for a perfect zone setup. I did this to prove to my point to a friend that 1 elite smash Doesn’t actually mean much and 2 projectile spam can overcome superior players seeing as how i dont really know how to play krool.

and if there was a couple characters capable of this then eh fine but literally more than half the roster can play that same exact way and perform incredibly well. And again it would be ok if i found it fun to play againsy 80% of my playtime but I don’t and im sure others feel the same. Its to much i miss the MELEE aspect of melee.

Last edited:

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
The Game developers put parrying into the game because they understood how much of an issue it was in Smash 4. There is a way around projectiles it isn't as hopeless as it was pre ultimate.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
ive never gone to the super competitively tryhard tournys but have done semi tryhard local play for melee and zelda/bowser were my favorite pics seem to perform fine for me. I don’t look to the best of the best for games for balance i look at your average player that makes up most of the population.

and in that regard projectiles In this game are busted. The spammy characters grant to much of an advantage. Even against more veteran players. It was when i made elite smash with krool by spending about 80-95% of every match Strictly using projectiles. My crown, my cannon and my suction (exceptions made vs reflectors) that i decided this game wasn’t for me.

i did feel bad for this one bowser that seemed to be extremely good but the map favored my projectile spam and he didnt really have an answer for a perfect zone setup. I did this to prove to my point to a friend that 1 elite smash Doesn’t actually mean much and 2 projectile spam can overcome superior players seeing as how i dont really know how to play krool.

and if there was a couple characters capable of this then eh fine but literally more than half the roster can play that same exact way and perform incredibly well. And again it would be ok if i found it fun to play againsy 80% of my playtime but I don’t and im sure others feel the same. Its to much i miss the MELEE aspect of melee.
This one Bowser wouldn't happen to be S Silask20 , would it? Because it sure is funny how he mentioned getting to Elite Smash a near exact same strategy with K. Rool as you do...

Balance ssbu

Smash Rookie
This one Bowser wouldn't happen to be S Silask20 , would it? Because it sure is funny how he mentioned getting to Elite Smash a near exact same strategy with K. Rool as you do...
pretty sure tiko and silask did double bowser 2v2 arenas together like everyday could be wrong but dont think i am. Good VC material.

Personally my only gripe with projectiles is Lucas and his pk freeze. Slow as is it may be it has a large hit box and it can come out in quick succession. It takes alittle bit of luck and some reading experience and boom that stock is lost no matter the % you’re at.

the rest can be dealt with by using proper DI and fast fall. Oh and by not being bowser every match.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
smash ultimate also has wonky menu design which makes it far from ultimate. Feel free to read what I posted.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
pretty sure tiko and silask did double bowser 2v2 arenas together like everyday could be wrong but dont think i am. Good VC material.

Personally my only gripe with projectiles is Lucas and his pk freeze. Slow as is it may be it has a large hit box and it can come out in quick succession. It takes alittle bit of luck and some reading experience and boom that stock is lost no matter the % you’re at.

the rest can be dealt with by using proper DI and fast fall. Oh and by not being bowser every match.
Ah yes, aka how I win.

Tiko

Smash Rookie

We’ve played alot together but he quit online play as its to unbalanced and quite frankly i took it a step further.

looks like he beat me to it but he didnt mention we both tested bowser, dk and gannon vs projectile spam and 80% of the time id say spam wins. And we both got well into elite smash with krools via spam. Well i didnt stop anyway i kept going and it even works in there more often than not depending on who you fight. Not just bowser who is actually the most susceptible.

its a laughable story and one i tell my gamer friends to showcase the ridiculous imbalances this game has.
My actual last straw was when my bowser got comboed 0 to death by a captain falcon from center stage. If i was head of the pvp balancing for this game id fire the current staff and hire in a new crew with some common sense.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
at least melee projectiles werent so plenty to the point that playing bowser or gannondorf etc basically became non-viable.
Pffffft... Melee Bowser... viable... Thanks for the lols my dude.

For one, projectiles are much harder to react to if you're playing online. It sucks. Online is super laggy

Offline, I don't mind fighting projectile-based characters much as Bowser. He's fast in Ultimate, and Tough Guy helps too. Much better than Melee where it doesn't matter that there aren't too many projectiles, Bowser's movement is as fast and smooth as a snail slowly getting stuck in tree sap

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

For one, projectiles are much harder to react to if you're playing online. It sucks. Online is super laggy

Offline, I don't mind fighting projectile-based characters much as Bowser. He's fast in Ultimate, and Tough Guy helps too. Much better than Melee where it doesn't matter that there aren't too many projectiles, Bowser's movement is as fast and smooth as a snail slowly getting stuck in tree sap
Mostly it's just weird his projectile rant trails off to also complaining about zero-projectile Falcon comboing his Bowser to death, when in Melee he would do so far more routinely. Face it, he doesn't care about balance, he just wants Bowser to have no weaknesses.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Mostly it's just weird his projectile rant trails off to also complaining about zero-projectile Falcon comboing his Bowser to death, when in Melee he would do so far more routinely. Face it, he doesn't care about balance, he just wants Bowser to have no weaknesses.
Then why even play Melee if you want a better Bowser?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Then why even play Melee if you want a better Bowser?
He probably has friends that agree to play with him in such a manner that actually gives his Bowser a chance there.

Assuming said friends aren't just all accounts he made himself because I find it highly suspect 3+ people have the exact same opinions and deal with situations in the exact same manner.

Tiko

Smash Rookie
i dont know why everyone is saying melee was such a balance travesty i did find with bowser in melee. My only problem being spamus but those weren’t that common back then.

He probably has friends that agree to play with him in such a manner that actually gives his Bowser a chance there.

Assuming said friends aren't just all accounts he made himself because I find it highly suspect 3+ people have the exact same opinions and deal with situations in the exact same manner.
wow so some other people have common sense (assuming all the ones you mention do) so they must all be me ill take that as a compliment why don’t you get them all in here to restore my faith in the smash community.

its not just a bowser issue for me i play alot of characters using bowser as an example because he seems to be the easiest target. Theres just to many projectiles in this game for anyone who doesn’t wanna spend half the match dodging them and for a game with the input lag this one has... giving characters 3 sometimes 4 projectiles to juggle all at once.... good luck once they learn to use the lag to their advantage.

Last edited:

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
Do I sense a salty Melee Player?
Yeah, but how good can you really be with 10 "mains?"

The man is entitled to his opinion. Stop taking it so personally. That goes for everyone else too. Melee has been around since 2001 for a reason.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Yeah, but how good can you really be with 10 "mains?"

The man is entitled to his opinion. Stop taking it so personally. That goes for everyone else too. Melee has been around since 2001 for a reason.
Just like how bad games have been around since forever. No, I'm not saying Melee is a bad game, but this reasoning used for this statement is just bad.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
Just like how bad games have been around since forever. No, I'm not saying Melee is a bad game, but this reasoning used for this statement is just bad.
How is it bad reasoning to say a game being around for 18 years, and still having a strong community, means that it is probably inherently good?

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
Well saying, "something has existed since it started existing" is not good reasoning. Your other reasons however, I do not disagree with.
Well, we'd specifically be talking about the competitive aspect, to be fair, so around 2003-2004 was when tournaments started happening regularly?

I personally love both Melee and Ultimate- but Melee does one thing so well- you can express yourself through your character so perfectly. There are so many movement options, ways to approach and space, that it really does seem like your character is the canvas and you're the paintbrush. The micro-interactions that accumulate, the speed, the tech chasing, the sheer and absolute cut-throat aspect of it.

Ultimate is a lot more streamlined and routine, which I understand, for balancing purposes. But I can't deny that Melee had such a special charm to it.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A Captain Falcon comboing you is just called skill mate. The guy had skill, and was able to beat you. It happens very freqeuntly. You're basically saying good players make this game unbalanced.
Ive been saying that they need to stop balancing the game around the best this game has to offer. Its the equivalent to if they balanced it around the worse this game had to offer. You’re forgetting about like 90% of your community thats struggling to keep up in an environment designed and balanced around people who have 8 hrs a day to spend on smash ‍♂
His words, not mine. Would you be able to tell this was a different user if not for the name displayed?

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
If you personally feel like Melee is your cup of tea, then go for it. I can see why you don't like projectiles, but it's a thing that you must learn to counter no matter which title you flock to, even if you decide to play Smash 64. Melee might have weaker projectiles overall, but it is still something you must learn to counter and maneuver especially if you play against characters like Falco with his short hop lasers, or other characters like Young Link and regular Link.

I'd say that Ultimate is the most balanced smash title out of all because no character completely dominates the game nor does any character represent the face of the game like Fox for Melee for example. Like every fighting game out there, they all have characters that are considered high tiers, but Ultimate's high tier characters still have weaknesses that keep them from being overwhelmingly dominant. I personally feel like there are a few characters that are still sort of bad like Little Mac for example, but far from saying that any character is unusable. Even if you use a character that is regarded as low tier, you still have a decent shot to be able to deal with the high tier characters, and even characters that are considered your worst matchups (-3).

Melee has a select handful of characters that are considered viable for top level play, and viable in the sense that they are able to reach from Top 8, to winning a major. Low tier characters such as Bowser and Zelda for example are considered to be unusable at high level play because they have few to no options to deal with the high tier characters. All of the high tier characters in Melee have extremely good options that grant them advantages against the rest of the cast, especially against mid-tier and low-tier characters. Characters that tend to have slower movement and terrible options to deal with the options that high tier characters have struggle the hardest, especially in top level play.

Again, if you feel like Melee is your cup of tea, then stick with that if that's what you prefer. No issue with that, but as long as you respect others who prefer different titles then it should be fine. I prefer both titles since they each have unique traits and things to bring to the table, but Melee is far from being a balanced game compared to Ultimate. I wouldn't say that Ultimate is 100% perfectly balanced, but it's still the most balanced smash title we have.

Last edited:

Tiko

Smash Rookie
If you personally feel like Melee is your cup of tea, then go for it. I can see why you don't like projectiles, but it's a thing that you must learn to counter no matter which title you flock to, even if you decide to play Smash 64. Melee might have weaker projectiles overall, but it is still something you must learn to counter and maneuver especially if you play against characters like Falco with his short hop lasers, or other characters like Young Link and regular Link.

I'd say that Ultimate is the most balanced smash title out of all because no character completely dominates the game nor does any character represent the face of the game like Fox for Melee for example. Like every fighting game out there, they all have characters that are considered high tiers, but Ultimate's high tier characters still have weaknesses that keep them from being overwhelmingly dominant. I personally feel like there are a few characters that are still sort of bad like Little Mac for example, but far from saying that any character is unusable. Even if you use a character that is regarded as low tier, you still have a decent shot to be able to deal with the high tier characters, and even characters that are considered your worst matchups (-3).

Melee has a select handful of characters that are considered viable for top level play, and viable in the sense that they are able to reach from Top 8, to winning a major. Low tier characters such as Bowser and Zelda for example are considered to be unusable at high level play because they have few to no options to deal with the high tier characters. All of the high tier characters in Melee have extremely good options that grant them advantages against the rest of the cast, especially against mid-tier and low-tier characters. Characters that tend to have slower movement and terrible options to deal with the options that high tier characters have struggle the hardest, especially in top level play.

Again, if you feel like Melee is your cup of tea, then stick with that if that's what you prefer. No issue with that, but as long as you respect others who prefer different titles then it should be fine. I prefer both titles since they each have unique traits and things to bring to the table, but Melee is far from being a balanced game compared to Ultimate. I wouldn't say that Ultimate is 100% perfectly balanced, but it's still the most balanced smash title we have.
Well, we'd specifically be talking about the competitive aspect, to be fair, so around 2003-2004 was when tournaments started happening regularly?

I personally love both Melee and Ultimate- but Melee does one thing so well- you can express yourself through your character so perfectly. There are so many movement options, ways to approach and space, that it really does seem like your character is the canvas and you're the paintbrush. The micro-interactions that accumulate, the speed, the tech chasing, the sheer and absolute cut-throat aspect of it.

Ultimate is a lot more streamlined and routine, which I understand, for balancing purposes. But I can't deny that Melee had such a special charm to it.
well these are constructive posts, not just “git gud sPaM iS pArT oF ThE GaMe” posts. In reality melee had alot less character but people proved you can be top gun with a multitude of them. Not so often but its possible. But that aside, melees more casual play was alot better.

again it all has to do with the projectiles for me. Its to much in this game. Its ridiculous. Id say confidently more then half the roster has some sort of projectile backing it. And most of them are very spammy and annoying. This wasn’t really an issue in smash bros melee save spamus. I was tired of being in rounds where two projectiles are flying at me and i dodge them both only to fall into another or di away from the third one only to be smash attacked.

if it was a couple characters alright but its so many in this game. I hate links, ness and lucas, bowser jr, zelda, spamus, dark spamus etc etc the list could keep going. Its like everytime i would go up against them i rolled my eyes and prepare to be annoyed.
I didn’t get that feeling in melee against anyone but spamus. Links weren’t really that annoying with faster paced moving it was easy to get on them and falco and foxes lasers were whatever.

I always played smash for the quick paced face to face combat that keeps you on edge from the get-go. Not 100 young links waiting to get into a round and camp by a ledge waiting for you to approach as they juggle three projectiles. Or D3’s who do nothing but fling gordos and grab a ledge the entire match.

Top Bottom