• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Return to DreamLand (WIP): Model Import (Deprecated)

zankyou

Smash Lord
Before

After

I dont have access to a hacked wii right now but someone let me know if it works. Currently the file is entirely too large so I have my doubts but it runs on dolphin.
Edit: This size of the file isnt a mistake on my part. For some reason brawlbox dumped 2mbs of textures from a 1.5mb file.

Attachments

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Did a quick benchmark. Its less intensive than FoD for emulation. Wonder if that carries over on console.

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Installing it right now in my SD card. Gonna try it on my Wii and post results.

UPDATE: It doesn't load on Wii. When you press the stage icon the image freeze but the stage music sounds. It does load on Dolphin tho.:(

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord

UPDATE: It doesn't load on Wii. When you press the stage icon the image freeze but the stage music sounds. It does load on Dolphin tho.:(
Hmmm, I think I had a similar issue with the hd background I made. Can you or someone try this file.
EDIT: No need to test. The first DL works. Just check ignore toc and modify system files. I always do it by default so forgot to say something about it.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord

Oh right. Forgot to warn you. Because the file is so large be sure to check modify system files and ignore toc when rebuilding. I just found an sd card and tested it myself and it worked. Theres a broken normal/face but Im loading a huge file. Hopefully it fixes when I delete the old textures.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Wow this looks gorgeous, gonna test it this evening when I'm at home <3
Thanks for all your work zankyou!

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Soon.
GALE01-95.png

The stage is actually done and runs on the wii, but there are some things I want to test first.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Any idea how I can find out where the particual texture files belong in the .dat file, to fix the blue outlines on the treetop?
I dumped the textures via Dolphin and used DRGN's PNG to TPL programm.
Then I compared the .tpl and the .dat in my Hex Editor but got not a single match.

Last edited:

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
Is the Dreamland import exactly like original Dreamland? I mean, can it be considered
'tourney legal'?

Also, the stage loads while using Nintendont but it doesn't load if you use DIOS MIOS.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Is the Dreamland import exactly like original Dreamland? I mean, can it be considered
'tourney legal'?

Also, the stage loads while using Nintendont but it doesn't load if you use DIOS MIOS.
Im using Dios Mios Lite and its working. Also I didnt change the blastzone/collisions/camera,etc. Its exactly the same.

Any idea how I can find out where the particual texture files belong in the .dat file, to fix the blue outlines on the treetop?
Then I compared the .tpl and the .dat in my Hex Editor but got not a single match.
It cant be fixed via that method. I was talking to tcll and its a z order issues. The outline isnt actually blue, its transparent and overwriting the other images. basically Id have to reimport the leaves after figuring out what order to put them in. Every leaf is its own object so I dont plan on fixing it soon.
And no. I dont know what the images are. But Melee Toolkit should. I now realize why the devs made so many images root objects lol. So that they could have strings that let you know which image is which. When I redo this stage and future stages Ill add the images to the root structs so they have string table entries. Also for now melee toolkit has got you covered.

Last edited:

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Im using Dios Mios Lite and its working. Also I didnt change the blastzone/collisions/camera,etc. Its exactly the same.

It cant be fixed via that method. I was talking to tcll and its a z order issues. The outline isnt actually blue, its transparent and overwriting the other images. basically Id have to reimport the leaves after figuring out what order to put them in. Every leaf is its own object so I dont plan on fixing it soon.
And no. I dont know what the images are. But Melee Toolkit should. I now realize why the devs made so many images root objects lol. So that they could have strings that let you know which image is which. When I redo this stage and future stages Ill add the images to the root structs so they have string table entries. Also for now melee toolkit has got you covered.
Thanks for the answer :)

Did both of you rebuild your iso while ticking ignore toc and modify system files.
I tried it with both toggled on and off.
With both off, the game freezes immediately after selecting dreamland and
with both on, the game loads the stage and it freezes after the "Ready?".

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
What does "modify system files" do?
I cant remember. When I made the background for dreamland a long time ago I remember reading about the memory map issue and checking both fixed it. I may be that I only needed to check ignore toc. But I think I tried that and it didnt work. But this was a year ago and I didnt know what I was doing then.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Thanks for the answer :)

I tried it with both toggled on and off.
With both off, the game freezes immediately after selecting dreamland and
with both on, the game loads the stage and it freezes after the "Ready?".
Got that issue on an older version of the stage thats 2.65 mb. Might be an issue with the broken normal since it doesnt happen to me on the fixed version. It also varies when it works.
Edit: The newer version I made thats 2.25mb works fine so far.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Return to Dream Land [Achilles Mod]

https://www.mediafire.com/?rgqx5m3nqlbvjfs

I wanted a permanent “No Wind” Dream Land for 20XX 4.0 and this model import is the beautiful solution. Whispy can go screw himself.

All the modifications I made to the original file were texture replacements (e.g. making textures transparent). Not the most ideal solution, but it works and I learned some things while doing it. Since I made the treetrunk 256x256, _6 texture transparent, I could probably change that texture pointer to point elsewhere, then change the pointer of a couple _14 textures to use this “free” space, while also changing their texture type to _6 and make them higher quality.

Yes, the bushes are somewhat floating, but it doesn’t really bother me. I tried to keep the bush trunks in there and only remove the larger tree trunks, but the 2 medium sized trunks and 2 small bush trunks are tied together as the same object. Background is from Green Greens. I’d be down for someone changing the flowers to something cooler (higher quality version of the mushrooms from the Mario RPG dreamland?).

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Offsets underneath the description are the texture image data offsets

="Various texture / display list notes"]
flowers
- if want to make disappear, write 00000000 to 0023a3ac

warp star
16c5a0
palette: 16cda0

treetrunk
1f6680

(1eef10 = image struct)

popup grass around water and edge of stage
14f300

popup grass around tree base
1533c0

pond texture A
17d0a0

whispy leaves - dark color (tree bottom)
1af7c0
(001ac530 = image struct)

whispy leaves - middle
1bfa20
(001ac5d0 = image struct)

whispy leaves - light (tree top)
1cfcc0
(001ac670 = image struct)

Main Tree
- to make disappear write 00000000 to 001f65dc (display list size)
- but the two medium trees and bushes still exist.

CeLL

Smash Lord

https://www.mediafire.com/?rgqx5m3nqlbvjfs]Download[/url]

I wanted a permanent “No Wind” Dream Land for 20XX 4.0 and this model import is the beautiful solution. Whispy can go screw himself.

All the modifications I made to the original file were texture replacements (e.g. making textures transparent). Not the most ideal solution, but it works and I learned some things while doing it. Since I made the treetrunk 256x256, _6 texture transparent, I could probably change that texture pointer to point elsewhere, then change the pointer of a couple _14 textures to use this “free” space, while also changing their texture type to _6 and make them higher quality.

Yes, the bushes are somewhat floating, but it doesn’t really bother me. I tried to keep the bush trunks in there and only remove the larger tree trunks, but the 2 medium sized trunks and 2 small bush trunks are tied together as the same object. Background is from Green Greens. I’d be down for someone changing the flowers to something cooler (higher quality version of the mushrooms from the Mario RPG dreamland?).

Amazing but your link is broken (not that copy paste doesn't work though).

zankyou

Smash Lord

https://www.mediafire.com/?rgqx5m3nqlbvjfs

So does this work on the gc. I was under the impression that it didnt. I got a broken normal on the original file I uploaded.

I know Ive stated this multiple times, but if you find the mesh for an object you dont have to remove the texture. Just set the size of the display list to 0. That way you can keep the texture for other objects that use it and only remove that particular object you want gone.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So does this work on the gc. I was under the impression that it didnt. I got a broken normal on the original file I uploaded.

I know Ive stated this multiple times, but if you find the mesh for an object you dont have to remove the texture. Just set the size of the display list to 0. That way you can keep the texture for other objects that use it and only remove that particular object you want gone.
I have not tested on console yet. I figured you updated the download link with the version that works, but your response now makes me think otherwise.

Towards the end, I started messing with the display list size (see my notes above where I talk about removing the main tree and flowers). Particularly, to try and keep the bush tree trunks visible. But then I found out they are tied into the same mesh with the medium size tree trunks. I tried zeroing out parts of the display list data but that didn't go well.

zankyou

Smash Lord
I have not tested on console yet. I figured you updated the download link with the version that works, but your response now makes me think otherwise.

Towards the end, I started messing with the display list size (see my notes above where I talk about removing the main tree and flowers). Particularly, to try and keep the bush tree trunks visible. But then I found out they are tied into the same mesh with the medium size tree trunks. I tried zeroing out parts of the display list data but that didn't go well.
The bush tree trunks should definitely be a separate mesh unless I misinterpreted the mdl0 data or brawl box screwed me over. If you know how to use brawlbox which is infinitely easier than editing the way youre trying (unless brawlbox hates you like it does me) then I could give you the mdl0 files I use. The stage mdl0 I broken up and combined multiple time to find configurations that wouldnt duplicate things. As long as brawlbox doesnt create new weights or you dont change the bones it should be easish. The issue with the one I fixed the normal with was that I tied it to whispy's bone so that I could move separate parts around, but that caused some ridiculous transparency issues. But last night I found out mesh attribute vert pointers dont work the way I thought they did though so its probably as simple as changing a pointer to fix it.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
The bush tree trunks should definitely be a separate mesh unless I misinterpreted the mdl0 data or brawl box screwed me over. If you know how to use brawlbox which is infinitely easier than editing the way youre trying (unless brawlbox hates you like it does me) then I could give you the mdl0 files I use. The stage mdl0 I broken up and combined multiple time to find configurations that wouldnt duplicate things. As long as brawlbox doesnt create new weights or you dont change the bones it should be easish. The issue with the one I fixed the normal with was that I tied it to whispy's bone so that I could move separate parts around, but that caused some ridiculous transparency issues. But last night I found out mesh attribute vert pointers dont work the way I thought they did though so its probably as simple as changing a pointer to fix it.
1f42ac = two medium tree trunks and bush trunks, display list size
1f65dc = big tree trunk, display list size

zankyou

Smash Lord
1f42ac = two medium tree trunks and bush trunks, display list size
1f65dc = big tree trunk, display list size
Just looked at the mdl0. Youre right. Theyre 1 object. I assumed theyd still be different meshes but either brawlbox combined they since I removed the weights or it was always litke that. Shame because the only way I can think of fixing that is opening up 3ds max. Or guessing which parts of the displaylist are responsible. You could always try re-enabling the old bush trunks.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
It works on console, but with a little problem.

Capture.PNG

Any ideas? Do you have a new file I can play with or know what pointer to change, as mentioned in your comment above?

zankyou

Smash Lord

View attachment 74989

Any ideas? Do you have a new file I can play with or know what pointer to change, as mentioned in your comment above?
Youre probably going to have to wait until the weekend. I just found out how to increase the number of bones I can use without that weird transparency so Im going to re-import the file based on that this weekend. Should allow me to add the background now.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Island is angled incorrectly and the water color is off as well as too low. And the file is 2.8mb lol (although the pac is 1.7 and the stage was already .8 so its not too bad.)
But its beautiful. I have to go back though it and remove pretty much most of the stuff on the island since you cant really see it and its not work the extra .6mbs.
GALE01-109.png

Just heard a sound I never expected. The game will not load 4 characters. Although I picked the characters with roughly the largest pl**nr/pl**aj files to push the ram limit. And its probably whats being hit. That being said its interesting because Onett is 2.20mb and I know you can play 6 player melee so I wonder why it doesnt break then. Do you have to repeat characters in 6 player melee or something. That would explain it.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord

View attachment 74989

Actually I think the problem with that file was either an alignment issues or the file was too large. But since YS is larger and doesnt have that problem its probably an alignment issue. I actually wrote a script to insert inverse bone matrices and correct the pointers in the file as well as just a simple script to insert arbitrary lines in the file and correct the pointer. If you know the offset of the mesh of the platform I could try to fix it with that script.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Do you have to repeat characters in 6 player melee or something. That would explain it.
WParam's method was to duplicate the P3/P4. Probably not far from the truth.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Island is angled incorrectly and the water color is off as well as too low. And the file is 2.8mb lol (although the pac is 1.7 and the stage was already .8 so its not too bad.)
But its beautiful. I have to go back though it and remove pretty much most of the stuff on the island since you cant really see it and its not work the extra .6mbs.
View attachment 75041
Just heard a sound I never expected. The game will not load 4 characters. Although I picked the characters with roughly the largest pl**nr/pl**aj files to push the ram limit. And its probably whats being hit. That being said its interesting because Onett is 2.20mb and I know you can play 6 player melee so I wonder why it doesnt break then. Do you have to repeat characters in 6 player melee or something. That would explain it.
Platform Data
(actual DAT file offsets, so they have the +0x20 added)

00195050 = image structure start

00195068 = texture structure start

001950d8 = material structure start

RIGHT PLATFORM
00195f18 = object structure start
00195f00 = mesh structure start

TOP PLATFORM
00197608 = object structure start
001975f0 = mesh structure start

LEFT PLATFORM
00198ce8 = object structure start
00198cd0 = mesh structure start

Achilles1515

Smash Master
No, you don't.

Capture.PNG

But, this doesn't seem to always be the case. That same batch of characters froze on the following stages:

Corneria
Venom
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle
Jungle Japes
Termina
Brinstar
Zebes
Final Destination
Big Blue

Tested on Dolphin. Exact reason for the freezes is unknown.

zankyou

Smash Lord
No, you don't.

View attachment 75121

But, this doesn't seem to always be the case. That same batch of characters froze on the following stages:

Corneria
Venom
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle
Jungle Japes
Termina
Brinstar
Zebes
Final Destination
Big Blue

Tested on Dolphin. Exact reason for the freezes is unknown.
Seems I confused my file names. Venom is the largest stage. All of those stages are on the upper end of the size of the files. But Icicle mountain should be in there.

DRGN

Technowizard
What does "modify system files" do?
I cant remember. When I made the background for dreamland a long time ago I remember reading about the memory map issue and checking both fixed it. I may be that I only needed to check ignore toc. But I think I tried that and it didnt work. But this was a year ago and I didnt know what I was doing then.
I think I understand "ignore toc" already, but didn't know about the first, so I looked around online a little and then realized GCRebuilder has a readme. Inside, it says this:

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------
"Options" menu commands:
---------------------------------------------------------

// Note - this options only works BEFORE opening an extracted image (ROOT -> Open)
// When a usual GC image (Image -> Open) is opened, these options are disabled.

Options -> Modify system files
----------------

- Modifies "iso.hdr" and "game.toc" files in "&&systemdata" folder while building a new image.
  Use this option if you want these files to be identical in the "Root" folder and your new image.

Options -> Do not use 'game.toc'
----------------

- With this option enabled, GCR ignores information from "game.toc" file.
  It means that you can theorically build a new working GC image with ANY files in "Root" folder
  (the "&&systemdata" folder must not contain additional files or folders).
  The only limitation - is the file size of your new image.
  It should be exactly 1.35 Gb (1459978240 bytes).
  All you'll need - is a correct "apploader.ldr" and "start.dol" files in "&&systemdata" folder
  to make such image work.

// Use this options only IF YOU REALLY KNOW, what you are doing!!!
  // If you don't sure - than just left them disabled.
I think that the only thing that GCRebuilder uses the file system table (FST) in Game.toc for is to know what files to choose within the selected folder when building an ISO, which is why Game.toc needs to be ignored when building an ISO with new files. A brand new FST is then written into your new ISO, probably regardless of whether the option is on or not (to ensure it has the correct file sizes). If you have "extra" files going into your ISO, I think the only other thing in the ISO that needs to be updated is a value for the size of the FST, listed in the .hdr file (which must be an abbreviation of "header", I figure), which would be different if you have a different number of files from the original disc.This value might also be re-evaluated (rather than just copied from the original .hdr) regardless of the options selected in GCRebuilder.

It looks like 'Modify System Files' then just updates the files in your extracted files directory, and doesn't actually affect the new game's construction. It's just so that your "source files" match the new ISO you're making, so you don't have to re-extract them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom