• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Retheorizing the Mewtwo - Shiek matchup

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind this is just theoretical and i have not yet implemented it.​

Movement and positioning
Although Mewtwo doesnt have the best movement options, you certainly have the advantage over sheik. Dashdancing can work since Sheik has to commit to most of her approaches, but space as if your tail is in front of you. If your opponent knows the match well enough, (which you should always initially assume that they do) they will be aiming for your tail. If you can manage to bait something you can WD in to punish or maybe get a djc aerial off. Remember that if you wait to gain a little bit of height before DJC so you can travel more horizontal distance during an aerials startup. You can also change the length of your WD dramatically by changing the angle of the air dodge(the endlag will always remain at 10 frames the only thing that changes is the distance traveled). Use short WDs to space yourself while still being in range to punish. Sheik is most vulnerable in the air, especially when you are right under her. Try to juggle her or send her offstage since she has a punishable recovery.
Sheik has fairly limited movement options. Her dashdance length is extremely small so she cant dashdance camp or dash out and in to punish. Her SH is big and leaves her vulnerable since she cant fastfall as soon as most characters. This means you dont have to worry about an aerial approach (but more on this later). She relies heavily on her WD to punish but all WDs have a 10 frame endlag(excluding jumpsquat) and hers isnt partiularly long. Many sheik players also like to use a fading SH as a spacing tool to stuff approaches but i dont really know the specifics of why her backwards SH is so good. Overall mewtwo has better movement options despite sheik's run speed being much greater than mewtwo's. In neutral, try to control center stage as your poking will become more effective and you will be able to force punishes.

Sheiks approches
Contrary to popular belief, this is probably Sheik's biggest weakness. Her high SH makes her aerial approaches very punishable because of her inability to effectively SHFFL. In addition, her aerials lack horizontal range so that she has to run right up to you to space a rising aerial. Mewtwo can easily stuff her aerials with uptilt or even upsmash if shes coming down from above without a DJ.
She cant really approach with dashdances to bait. Her grounded approaches(grab and dash attack) lack disjoint and range. You can stuff her grounded approaches using tilts without the constant fear of getting punished from a dashdance. Even so, try to maintain some stage control instead of throwing tilts if youre backed into the edge. You can CC her unstaled dash attack until 64% although stuffing it is much better. Basically her approaches are very predictable, limited and unsafe. Most Sheiks will probably opt to zone you with needles until they can punish your approach with tilts and and grabs.
Just to clarify, the end of Mewtwos tail doesnt have a hurtbox which gives his tilts fairly good disjoint.

Sheik's needles

Needle storm has a minimum of 12 frames of startup on the ground and 19 frames in the air. This means you should be able to shield off of reaction. Aerial needles take long and are very telegraphed so you should be able to punish sheik by teleporting/WD under or behind her. As for grounded needles it would have to be more of a read to punish with teleport. You can WD OoS after sheilding(with inward shield DI) to close the distance and push her back with tilts. If there are platforms, jump on top and charge SB. Sheik will either jump on the other side platform or try to DJ needle you but you will have plenty of time to charge cancel, shield, and react according the situation; If she aerial needled too close punish her, if she jumped on the other platform you can just charge cancel -> shield drop to take stage control. SH confusion may be an option if youre really far away and looking to close a bit of distance. If youre close enough try dashing in to shield and WD OoS close enough to push her back with tilts as stated above. If you shield the needles really close you can get an aerial OoS off. Fully charged SB will not go through needles since needles have a hurtbox. It does however pressure the opponent and gives you a potential punish for aerial needles.

Sheiks dthrow
Sheik cant CG or techchase mewtwo because mewtwo falls too slowly and drifts too fast. Weight does not affect the KB(knockback) of throws since all throws assume 100 weight. Since Hitstun = KB(.4) and launchspeed = KB(.03) all characters experience the same knockback, hitstun, and launchspeed from a grab at all %s. Mewtwo's low falling speed prevents him from falling into a tech chase situation. His aerial mobility should let him drift away at lower %s after hitstun ends, even if you have to eat a single tilt. The key is using proper DI and ASDI to distance yourself after getting hit by tilt. Whenever you get grabbed you should be ready to DI with the control stick and ASDI with the c-stick. Sheik may be able to get a fair, upair or upsmash followup at some point but there may be counterplay available. Although i havent tested it yet, I suspect you may be able to fair right as sheik approaches at certain %s. Even if her fair hits, you should be able to survive with proper DI given that mewtwo has a huge DJ and teleport. Overall dthrow shouldnt give you much of a problem. Meleemewtwo has some great data on this.
Again, throw is unstaled and the percents are the damage Mewtwo has before the dthrow. Frame advantage is for Sheik.
0% = +10
10% = +10
20% = +11
30% = +12
40% = +12
50% = +13
60% = +14
70% = +15
80% = +15
90% = +16
100% = +17

lol, usmash definitely shouldn't connect on DI away at any percent. It whiffed so hard even at 100%. Aerials like Fair and Uair should pretty much always work, though. That stuff shouldn't kill until really high percents, anyways.
Sheiks tilts
Shiek's tilts are very good combo starters since they have medium base KB and low KB growth. However, this also means you can CC these moves until relatively high %s since Mewtwo is a middleweight. CC can lead into dtilt or grabs. If you get caught in your shield by tilts you can shield DI in to grab, if not your best option is to buffer roll. If you get caught, ASDI away by using the c-stick in conjunction with regular DI. Below are the max CC %s for each unstaled tilt.
Ftilt: 84%
dtilt: 108%
Uptilt: -both hits: 89%

-second hit only: 129%

Sheiks followups
Sheiks followups on mewtwo should be fairly short since youre too light to get repeatedly juggled by tilts and dthrow can only get some aerial followups. It is possible Sheik can get needles off from a tilt or throw but the endlag from needles is too much to followup even with projectile hitlag. I believe Sheik can get followups from late dair but if youre getting hit by late dair you need to reconsider your decisions. Just mind your DI and remember to ASDI as a safety measure.

Sheiks kill moves
Mewtwo is in a good weight class at a slightly above average weight of 85. This coupled with his low falling speed and huge recovery lets him survive Sheik's fair and downsmash which send at low angles. However, his low falling speed also means he is more susceptible to vertical kill moves. Sheiks main kill moves on mMewtwo are upsmash and upair. Upsmash since dthrow wont combo into it but according to Meleemewtwo it is likely that dthrow can get an upair followup. Even then Mewtwo wont die too early.

Sheik's edgeguards
Sheiks edgegaurd options are pretty good. Bair has good range, fair has a good send angle, and her recovery lets her go deep for edgegaurds. Although Sheik can do really low for kills she cant go too far horizontally so try to familiarize yourself with the safe and danger zones for your DJ. Needles arent much of an issue for mewtwo so long as you dont let her clip your DJ like an idiot. Confusion can be be used as to stall or block needles. Teleport and airdodge are mixups since the animations arent distinguishable. Once you grab the ledge you have a number of options: you can teleport ledge stall, ledge AI, disable from ledge, ledge release upair, or teleport from ledge.

Mewtwo's approaches
Mewtwo's WD is so long that you can actually use normals while moving forward from your inititial WD's momentum. This is more apparent with the more horizontally angled WDs. This lets you space normals better because you can get into range right as the hitbox comes out. You can shoot uncharged SBs and follow behind them since they move so slow. Mewtwo's low traction also gives his JC grab really good range. Unfortunately Mewtwo has very few safe approaches. Spaced rising bair is a possible and experimental approach that can offer several mixups but i have not implemented or tested it much. If you decide to experiment with it, aim to hit right in front of them rather than hitting their body. If you hit them you get free % and are able to fade and use the bair's IASA frames. If you miss, youre back to neutral and the bair will AC if you chose not to use the IASA frames. There are other options that are relatively unsafe, but can be used as mixups. Much like Sheik you can run up to them and do a rising aerial to fade away or cross them up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
good feedback. I have an idea but I wont have acess to melee until tomorrow afternoon itd be great if you could test some things for me. Id like to see how far Sheik's needles go and if they can reach from one side platform to another. Or rather, we woud have to see on which stages they wouldnt reach. On those particular stages you could sit on the back of a side platform and charge SB. She would have to either go to the top platform and throw aerial needles or approach you. Since fully charged SB goes through needles, youd be at an advantage if you both charge your projectiles.
Even if needles can reach from one side platform to the other you can still use the side platforms to charge SB since she would have to jump(about 38 frames to reach a platform), land(4 frames), and then charge needles(minimum 12 frames). This is more than enough time to charge cancel and shield where she will go through minimum 21 frames of endlag(if fully charged). After shielding the needles(3 frames of shieldstun) you can shield drop -> WL onto center stage. Otherwise she would have to approach with an aerial.
If Sheik is throwing needles from center stage you can opt to WD OoS in front of her and push her back with tilts as stated in the first post. You can run up shield (with forward shield DI) close enough to get a DJC aerial punish OoS. You could maybe close some distance by using SH confusion. Other than that i suppose you could use platform movement they way aMSa does in this matchup.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
I did some testing and research on sheik. Normally an attack as powerful as SB would outprioritize projectiles that do so little % like needles. However, sheik's needles have a hurtbox that absorb the SB. Basically the only problem to solve in this matchup is needles. I wasnt suggesting that SB be used in neutral but rather to punish and pressure the opponent by approaching with a charged SB in hand. If you can space tilts to make Sheik go into her shield you can probably punish her escape or OoS option with the SB. Ive updated the original post but ive still got a few more things to post.

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Yup, you can think of confusion as a move that blocks projectiles rather than reflects them, unless its a bomb.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
jump reverse shadow ball collides with the needles and is easily cancelable with R/L. Probably also ok to just fair the needles. Nair will NOT WORK because the hitboxes are small, if you don't know how nairs hitboxes work, look it up. Uair doesn't hit until it's above you so it also won't work.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Okay, got some good news. It's not directly sheik related but the mention of stuffing her dthrow -> usmash with fair made me want to test just how comboable Mewtwo actually is with some common throw combos. I've done some tests with Fox's uthrow and the short of it all is that Mewtwo just has to DI in to avoid connecting with the strong part of it. I'm going to test Sheik's dthrow next but first I'll share my detailed results.

I tested this with Fox's unstaled up throw and with Mewtwo DIing towards Fox. Percents are before throw.

Fox's frame advantage from uthrow:

0% = +11
10% = +12
20% = +13
30% = +14
40% = +16
50% = +17
60% = +18
70% = +19
80% = +21
90% = +22
100% = +24

Okay so right off the bat, we know that up until about 20% (I didn't test in between) Uthrow -> uair won't connect because it takes Fox 13 frames to turn around, dash one frame, go through jumpsquat and then instant Uair. When I tested from 20%, 30%, and 40% uthrow -> uair would connect with frame perfect Fox inputs. However, once I hit 50%, the Uair would only get the weak hit and Mewtwo would be too far away for the second hit to connect. I didn't do extensive tests so there's a possibility that I made an error someplace but I'm quite certain in my claim that it shouldn't combo a Mewtwo that properly DIs the uthrow outside the 20-50% range. Hell, I bet you could even punish the uair attempt with a Fair since the first hit will turn you around to face Fox. I didn't test past 100% but I strongly doubt it'll start comboing.

Also, as an after thought, it might b possible for Fox to time the Uair early to land the strong hit instead of hitting with the weak hit first but I'm not sure how possible that actually is and I feel like at higher percents it won't work because of the way he needs to use his double jump to reach Mewtwo.

Will get back to you with NTSC Sheik tests.
great stuff man

jump reverse shadow ball collides with the needles and is easily cancelable with R/L. Probably also ok to just fair the needles. Nair will NOT WORK because the hitboxes are small, if you don't know how nairs hitboxes work, look it up. Uair doesn't hit until it's above you so it also won't work.
Wow, i have to try this out. This **** would look so cool. Also, could you bair the needles?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Im not surprised. Falcon can pretty much combo anyone, or at least get guaranteed techchases.

EZえん

Smash Apprentice
Not true, Confusion just reverses the direction of the projectile. Most reflecting moves like Fox's or Mario's reverses the direction and also takes ownership of the move. Mewtwo does not take ownership which is why nothing besides bomb explosions will hurt the user. The hitboxes are still there, the same as before.
NO the hitboxes are actually removed by ours, it physically cant hit anyone else not even in teams, the only exception is bombs because they have a secondary hitbox

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Ive updated the original post again, i tried to better organize it. I removed the part about punishing needles OoS with a frame advantage because i forgot to include projectile hitlag in my calculations. I need some feedback to see if I posted something false or incorrect.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Thats a foxtrot, you have to wait until your sliding animation ends before turning. The tight timing doesnt let you act out of it at any moment. Its not that effective for getting grab or pivot punishes. The only thing you can do at any time is jump; If they foxtrot away from you they can really only bair or WD.

btw, something to keep in mind about Sheik's short hop is the combined threat of needles and fair. Her fair fully extends on frame 6 and autocancels on frame 11. This makes it quite difficult to dash in on her short hop as the fair comes out extremely quickly, covers a large amount of space, and the Sheik player doesn't risk dealing with excessive landing lag. (thus allowing her more liberty in throwing it out somewhat preemptively without fear of being punished on whiff) Over respecting the threat of her fair allows her to throw out needles which are autocanceled at any frame upon landing and give her an even larger area of control. This is why a camping Sheik is difficult to approach.
Hmm that does pose a problem. I dont have access to my setup until thursday but ill see if i can come up with something. Btw man i really appreciate your consistent feedback, im having a great time theorycrafting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
That gif is chained perfect pivots. I don't think any shieks are going to be doing that any time soon. DD isn't in her meta, it'll take someone more of a frame perfect obsessive person than m2k to bother and I don't know if that will ever happen.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Cant you just CC instant SH needles since the needles land close to her? Aerial needles stop Sheik's horizontal momentum; it should be a free JC grab, pivot smash, or SB. They have a 11 frame startup IF theyre already holding needles and lasts until frame 39 where it will autocancel(4 frames).Needles come out frames 11,14,17,20,23,26 so basically a 43,40,37,34,31,28 frame endlag if they used SH instant needles depending on how many needles they threw.
I suppose the problem would be fair. Until what % can you CC fair and how far would it send you? If you CC rising fair(hits frame 5) you have 26 frames(22 frames in the air after the fair plus 4 frames of landing lag) to punish her SHFF AC fair. Other than that shiek cant hit you with fair unless its a late fair and that approach is much too telegraphed. Also, if shes trying to zone you with fairs will upward angled ftilit or upilt reach her? If they do she cant really do much besides fade back and go through 27 frames of airtime + landlag or opt for needles. She cant effectively tomahawk either so she would only really have a DJ mixup since you could probably CC or shieldgrab her late aerials.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Kinda. Mewtwo's traction really undermines his crouch cancel since even needles will push him back quite far.

That said, it's just as easy to dash away from needles and then dash back in for a grab so that would seem to me to be a better option. Am I overlooking something?
I think your tail will get hit unless you dash away preemptively. Might be better to back away and charge SB that way you can CC SB punish air needles afterwards. It may be a trade but you win out in % and get stage control, maybe even an edgeguard opportunity.

Umm utilt requires you to be way too close. Ftilt can kinda work but only during certain parts of her jump. You also risk trading and considering the low payout from connecting with an ftilt, it's not a very appealing option. This is why I think simply respecting her fair while she is airborne and punishing her predictable landing with a walk forward dtilt is the best option.

edit: Her late aerials (read fair) are actually very safe on shield. Ignoring the large amounts of pushback Mewtwo will suffer, her fair is -1 on shield if she hits the AC frame or connects right before landing. (it's 7 frames of shield stun and l-canceled fair is 8 frames landing lag and the move ACs on frame 11 of Fair)
Yeah we'll just respect the fair and punish it. Once it has staled im pretty sure you can shield DI in and shield grab it though.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
I had tested it and the needless whiffed when I started the dash back on frame 11 (or 12 idr) of the needle animation. It seemed like there was some weird z-axis **** going on but since it whiffed I wasn't going to complain. This was at the Mewtwo's dtilt spacing, btw. The ideal safe spacing I described above will easily avoid the needles.
Sweet.

Stale Fair would only give you an extra frame (maybe 2 if it's super duper staled but that's not a good thing to be hit by fair so much) so it won't change too much about shield grabbing it.
I guess you can just buffer roll or teleport OoS if it hits your shield.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Really cool stuff so far and it's changing the way I see the matchup a bit. I didn't realise that M2's ground game is in general better than Sheik's when compared. Obviously needles and Sheik's ability to kill off a grab fairly early are the two things that suck for Mewtwo the most.

It would be nice to see a chart for Shiek's down throw > uair versus M2's upthrow KO percentages.

One thing though, you guys should try and focus on making your points with less words. Right now this thread is incredibly bloated with text, as there is a lot of repeated info and "thinking out loud" typing.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
One thing though, you guys should try and focus on making your points with less words. Right now this thread is incredibly bloated with text, as there is a lot of repeated info and "thinking out loud" typing.
Yeah, it might be discouraging to browse through this much text. I'll try to update the original post with all the useful information. Everything else was to actually figure out the matchup.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Maybe triangle jumping could be used to punish needles. What do you guys think? just throwing some ideas out there

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Slyfincleton

Smash Cadet
Just want to say: as a mewtwo secondary that wants to prove mewtwo can take shiek: this thread is awesome to see.

With that out of the way, I've been looking at frame values and hitboxes to prove some ideas that i have about the mu. I'll post more when I feel more confident about it, but keep up the good work guys!

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking, I know that sheik can get upthrows off of dthrow at high %s but is there any DI that makes this a followup instead of a true combo? If youre only actionable for 1 frame you may not be able to avoid the attack anyway but you would be able to Velocity cancel. If we factor in human reaction time do you think this could be a viable method for surviving upair at the kill % mentioned before?

Top Bottom