• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Captain Falcon FAQ and Training Guide

gravy

Smash Ace
Super hyped at how we're moving. Can we work on the SDI related things?

:phone:

Windrose

Smash Lord
The only things I know about SDI are:

-you can SDI up on sheik's jab reset to quickly get out of being tech chased regrabbed.
-you can SDI anything with my multiple hits to get out of combos like fox dair, upair, peach dair, jiggly puff dair, falcon nair..etc. (direction varies?)
-you can sometimes use SDI to make it harder for fox to waveshine you
-you can sometimes use SDI to make it possible for you to ledge tech where as if you didn't you 'd be too far to tech the ledge when recovering (not sure about this one)

I think that's all I really know about SDI. I really only use SDI for the multi hits, jab reset and fox waveshine :S

gravy

Smash Ace
No, I can very confidently confirm that SDI helps the consistency of ledgeteching. In fact, using logic tells you there's no reason NOT to be attempting to SDI a wall tech when you're recovering, since you can't be doing anything else productive after your up b.

gravy

Smash Ace
Well I'm just saying its a helpful tool, especially when your recovering from the side more, and it seems to be something you can incorporate that has no real downside.

Windrose

Smash Lord
do you just smash the analog stick towards the ledge the same time you press L or R?

gravy

Smash Ace
I just quarter circle DI towards the stage, making sure to stop when I'm about to grab do I don't fall past or anything. It works basically every time, all the way up to 999%, actually.

D

Deleted member

yeah it definitely helps especially if you are not Up-b ing backwards

gravy

Smash Ace
S2j, should I space my nair so I hit with the tip of my first hit or my second? Also, I'd like you to elaborate on dair spacing, because it seems difficult to avoid coming down right on their shield.

D

Deleted member

S2j, should I space my nair so I hit with the tip of my first hit or my second? Also, I'd like you to elaborate on dair spacing, because it seems difficult to avoid coming down right on their shield.

2nd hit matters more, 1st hit u could hit kinda bad but u can adjust

also, the new info is that if you n-air perfectly you have +1 frame advantage so you could technically 'mess' up but jab in time if you are perfect, but that is also risky because of CC

for dair spacing just don't be close enough to get shield grabbed/ shined out of shield

if you hit them with d-air it slightly 'pushes' them, watch mango's falcon for more info

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
Detailed training guide-> Small trick against sheik:

When she is on the ledge charge downsmash just out of her fair range.
Works well for me.
When you mess up a bit and Sheik can get her shield up in time on the stage, she will get pushed back alot and end up hanging on the ledge again.
Cons: Dont do it on yoshis. Platform.

Mess with your opponent his head by charing it reversed sometimes.

adechrist

Smash Cadet
I like to do forward smash vs Sheik when she's on the ledge. Stand just inside of her Fair range, and when she attacks, forward smash. If you space it correctly you won't get hit because Fsmash's animation moves you backwards, taking you out of Sheik's range.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
I like to do forward smash vs Sheik when she's on the ledge. Stand just inside of her Fair range, and when she attacks, forward smash. If you space it correctly you won't get hit because Fsmash's animation moves you backwards, taking you out of Sheik's range.
adechrist you live in Oregon? why haven't I played you before?

adechrist

Smash Cadet
Because I never travel outside of Eugene. lol. I'm planning on coming up to Portland soon. There aren't a lot of good players in Eugene. I might even move up to Portland for the summer!

JonnyW

Smash Ace
YES! Though I'll probably get *****. I'm the only Falcon in Eugene so I don't know that match-up at all.
Have you played anyone on our PR? I thought some people played down that way. Theres a tournament tomorrow in Portland at BestBout. You should come.

adechrist

Smash Cadet
Have you played anyone on our PR? I thought some people played down that way. Theres a tournament tomorrow in Portland at BestBout. You should come.
I would love to. But I can't this week. I'm going to try to come to the next BestBout after tomorrow, whenever it is. And depending on how well I do, I'll probably go to that big tournament that's coming up in Seattle that SilentWolf is hosting (I think it's happening late March). I'm tired of not having good people to play. It's hard to get better when you can wreck everyone you play. I watch tons of videos, but that only does so much. I wanna see how good I can get.

Edit: And no. I haven't played anyone from Portland :/

JonnyW

Smash Ace
I would love to. But I can't this week. I'm going to try to come to the next BestBout after tomorrow, whenever it is. And depending on how well I do, I'll probably go to that big tournament that's coming up in Seattle that SilentWolf is hosting (I think it's happening late March). I'm tired of not having good people to play. It's hard to get better when you can wreck everyone you play. I watch tons of videos, but that only does so much. I wanna see how good I can get.

Edit: And no. I haven't played anyone from Portland :/
Come up to LOST 6th on February 25th in Portland. 5 dollar MM me and if you win you get my spot on Oregons PR ;)

gravy

Smash Ace
Sorry for being inactive this week guys, college is a rapist, I tell yah. Anyways, is there any threads that explain the buffering system? I feel like I **** it up sometimes, like dsmashing instead of shfl dair and random crap like that.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Detailed training guide-> Small trick against sheik:

When she is on the ledge charge downsmash just out of her fair range.
Works well for me.
When you mess up a bit and Sheik can get her shield up in time on the stage, she will get pushed back alot and end up hanging on the ledge again.
Cons: Dont do it on yoshis. Platform.

Mess with your opponent his head by charing it reversed sometimes.
Actively bad idea if the Sheik can do invincible ledgedashes because it gets her a free grab
Not even a great idea if they can't IMO because they can just shino stall until you're done <_<
Then again I don't really understand what works for your Falcon at all because it's so goofy ... just don't try it vs M2K :lick:

D

Deleted member

Sorry for being inactive this week guys, college is a rapist, I tell yah. Anyways, is there any threads that explain the buffering system? I feel like I **** it up sometimes, like dsmashing instead of shfl dair and random crap like that.

to buffer just hold down shield + c-stick direction, just hold both as you are teching and you are pretty guaranteed to buffer

gravy

Smash Ace
to buffer just hold down shield + c-stick direction, just hold both as you are teching and you are pretty guaranteed to buffer
Err I meant just general input buffering, which (I thought) was inputting a command before your last command was finished so that it would come out instantly. For example, dash dancing instantly after an aerial, sometimes instead of dash dancing my character just keeps turning around... I don't know if there's a thread with a better explanation of the buffering system.

gravy

Smash Ace
That's quite possible. I'm rather new to melee, having recently realized the error of my ways. So, in this game, there's nothing like that?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Buffering in this game generally means buffering rolls / spotdodge / jump OoS by pressing directions on the Cstick, I don't believe there's anything that resembles buffering in Brawl but I can't say for sure

You can't buffer things like aerials / dashdancing by pressing them early though that's for sure

Windrose

Smash Lord
Can we talk about "damage control"?

s2j emphasizes this.

ie. what to do to reduce the amount of incoming **** you're about to receive because you just got shined by falco/fox or grabbed by marth/sheik/fox or just got hit and is about to receive the ****?

I realize this is probably very matchup dependent... :S

...i hope i don't generate simple answers like "combo DI" or something... :S

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Actually it basically boils down to holding down and away or neutral DI on basically every move and buffering rolls and jumps out of pressure situations (mixing it up so it's hard to catch on to which option you're going to do)

...That's basically all there is to it
Actually remembering to do so in game is obviously a different story but having good combo DI and escaping from pressure situations is all you have to do

Scar

#HarveyDent
Still, knowing which moves do what at which %s is important. We could do something like this:

Move archetype:
Definition
DI in different situations
Moves in this category

example:

Archetype: Fox's Nair
-Quick move with mid knockback that's a combo starter vs in DI at most %s, only a kill move at 100+% with bad DI
-DI away until about 80% so it doesn't combo as well
-Examples: Almost all nairs (Fox, Falco, Falcon, Peach), Marth's fair, Fox/Falco/Sheik/Falcon's bair

Something like that

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
If this guide is back in the works, can we dedicate a segment to gerenal edgeguarding / how-to's for each character? I don't think there's anything dedicated to it and enough can be written that I think it'd be helpful to keep out of matchup specifics

I could start this up if no one else wants a go / I don't forget

Windrose

Smash Lord
I get differing opinions on whether combo DI is holding away only, down and away, or down only...

i guess it's move dependent?

also true for survival di?

where it's up for moves like knee or sheik's fair but up and in for things like forward smash?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Combo DI is so dependent on what move you're getting hit by you have to kinda rely on experience, but DIing everything down and away will generally get you out of a combo because that gets close to perpendicular to the trajectory of most moves ... just be careful not to just randomly die to a knee or something

What I often do is just let go of the control stick and neutral DI (basically not doing anything), that often gets you out while not getting you hit (too far) offstage

D

Deleted member

anti-combo DI --. down and away, this in general should be your standard go too option when you are getting smacked around

0 DI usually works out fine too but not always

when you see knees emerging (or most other hard hitting moves) and you are high enough where bad DI matters --> up and slightly towards

sometimes though you want to do down and somewhat inside if you are hit by a relatively horizontal sending move so you can tech inwards and live/ be in a way better spot then DI-ing up and inside

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
DIing down also gives you chances to edgecancel off platforms because you're moving mostly horizontally

Windrose

Smash Lord
It seems like being able to edge cancel so you don't get trapped on a platform or at the edge is so important.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Ya wenbo let's do edgeguarding / returning guides, please write out what you know so we can improve on it

Top Bottom