• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Captain Falcon FAQ and Training Guide

mers

Smash Ace
"how to smash DI out of waveshines"
Which direction?
I believe they can catch you even with full away DI and full away smash DI. I think its all about throwing them off. I like DIing the first shine as far away as I can, then holding down and hoping they overshoot the next one. That probly wouldnt work on a more experienced player though, so full away + smash DI might be more likely to make them mess up.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
My friend wants to start learning Falcon. Do you guys know a good guide and/or video to put him on the right path?

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Does he have competitive melee experience or is he new to that as well?
He's relatively new; he knows what wavedashing and shffl'ing, double-stick DI and all that is. He's known it for a while and sorta understands some concept, but he can't really apply it that well. If at all.

As for opponents, mostly casual players and me. I am pretty experienced with AT's (like 4-5 years now), but I have never been to a tourney, so not the same kind of competitive that you're thinking.

I think he needs a crutch to lean on; some kind of bread and butter (combos) to start off with. Some do's and don'ts or rules of thumbs, if you will.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
He's relatively new; he knows what wavedashing and shffl'ing, double-stick DI and all that is. He's known it for a while and sorta understands some concept, but he can't really apply it that well. If at all.

As for opponents, mostly casual players and me. I am pretty experienced with AT's (like 4-5 years now), but I have never been to a tourney, so not the same kind of competitive that you're thinking.
mmk.

I don't know that there is a real guide that will go through all this, but I'll give a quick starter.

Well, shuffling is definitely where he should start. It is super important as falcon. If he understands how to do it, it is really just about drilling the muscle memory until he has it down. It's not much fun, but it pays huge dividends. If he's having trouble with that have him check out Wak's how to play vids, they are very good. Then maybe learning how to dash dance correctly, you could show him vids of just about any top falcon and they'll be doing it. I've always admired Hax's dash dancing, but that could just be personal preference. Wavedashing can also be good, especially out of shield.

Idk, I'm not the best one to say these things, as I'm a pretty bad falcon, but definitely shuffling first.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
mmk.

I don't know that there is a real guide that will go through all this, but I'll give a quick starter.

Well, shuffling is definitely where he should start. It is super important as falcon. If he understands how to do it, it is really just about drilling the muscle memory until he has it down. It's not much fun, but it pays huge dividends. If he's having trouble with that have him check out Wak's how to play vids, they are very good. Then maybe learning how to dash dance correctly, you could show him vids of just about any top falcon and they'll be doing it. I've always admired Hax's dash dancing, but that could just be personal preference. Wavedashing can also be good, especially out of shield.

Idk, I'm not the best one to say these things, as I'm a pretty bad falcon, but definitely shuffling first.
Thanks. I've been thinking and telling him the same things. I'm guessing Wavedashing would be a good bit after shffl'ing, and dash dancing?

IMO, the biggest thing with him is that he's unwilling to practice it by himself in training mode/vs level one cpu's. Understandable since it can be boring and time-taxing. Do you think it's applicable to train him in real matches?

Also, he wanted to learn some basic combos with Falcon. Is there any guide videos on that?

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Thanks. I've been thinking and telling him the same things. I'm guessing Wavedashing would be a good bit after shffl'ing, and dash dancing?
I don't have enough retrospect to really see which should be when, but I'd say if you were to learn them in order of importance, that'd probably be the order.

IMO, the biggest thing with him is that he's unwilling to practice it by himself in training mode/vs level one cpu's. Understandable since it can be boring and time-taxing. Do you think it's applicable to train him in real matches?
Not really. you can train him in how to apply techniques, but it would be way way way easier for him to just sit down for two hours and work on shuffling. then sit down for 30 mins for DDing and maybe another hour or so for wavedashing. I think that would give him a much better base to improve on. I suppose learning all that in-match is technically possible, but needlessly difficult.

Also, he wanted to learn some basic combos with Falcon. Is there any guide videos on that?
Most basic falcon combos will require shuffling. Falcon can do a lot with tech chasing, but that isn't very easy to learn imo. I guess combos involving raptor boost would be easiest, but raptor boost is generally an unsafe move. Try watching some combo vids to get a idea what falcon's combos look like and then try to find some you think you could do. A lot of his combos are based on reading DI (or techs) on the fly though.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I don't have enough retrospect to really see which should be when, but I'd say if you were to learn them in order of importance, that'd probably be the order.

Not really. you can train him in how to apply techniques, but it would be way way way easier for him to just sit down for two hours and work on shuffling. then sit down for 30 mins for DDing and maybe another hour or so for wavedashing. I think that would give him a much better base to improve on. I suppose learning all that in-match is technically possible, but needlessly difficult.

Most basic falcon combos will require shuffling. Falcon can do a lot with tech chasing, but that isn't very easy to learn imo. I guess combos involving raptor boost would be easiest, but raptor boost is generally an unsafe move. Try watching some combo vids to get a idea what falcon's combos look like and then try to find some you think you could do. A lot of his combos are based on reading DI (or techs) on the fly though.
Yeah, I thought so too about the "Practice on your own" thing. Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna see if these will help him.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Falcon taught me how to SFFL...
Luigi doesn't jump much, he's ****ed up. :/

Everybody should play Falcon. :)
I tried picking up Falcon once. But I didn't try hard enough. Mostly just spammed nairs, fairs, and dairs all dai. :laugh:

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I kneed to watch more Falcon vids. lol Would Scar Jumping win me the lottery?

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Not even close, it's just a bit better than Dropzone, a little worse than Quadripple Knee.

Lottery would be... blowing everyones mind...at once.
It happens often as Falcons know, but ALL AT ONCE has yet to happen. (Falcon ditto tournament with SS, Scar, Hax and Darkrain was the closest ever, with a total of 1 Billion minds blown in seccession)

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Not even close, it's just a bit better than Dropzone, a little worse than Quadripple Knee.

Lottery would be... blowing everyones mind...at once.
It happens often as Falcons know, but ALL AT ONCE has yet to happen. (Falcon ditto tournament with SS, Scar, Hax and Darkrain was the closest ever, with a total of 1 Billion minds blown in seccession)
**** son...I gotta step up my game.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
dude, nice start guide ty.

What about the training part?

Windrose

Smash Lord
When is this thread going to be finished =( I could really use that training regimen and the completed matchup list.

I was wondering about some safe ways to apply pressure on a more defensive opponent. Normally when I play someone I like to move around a lot to try and confuse their approach, but on people who don't like to come at me I'm kinda stuck. What are some good ways to force an opponent to make an offensive decision while still keeping myself safe (ie baiting)?

reactor

Smash Rookie
How do you get good with captain falcon? I don't know how you are able to win with him. I think fox is much better, and I stink with fox.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
How do you get good with captain falcon? I don't know how you are able to win with him. I think fox is much better, and I stink with fox.
feeling comfortable with the character is a pretty big factor in winning with anyone

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Anyone got any on-hand combos? I know most combos are pure situation and adaptation, but I'm wondering there are any small ones that you can just throw out when you feel necessary.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Anyone got any on-hand combos? I know most combos are pure situation and adaptation, but I'm wondering there are any small ones that you can just throw out when you feel necessary.
lots of guaranteed combos against fox if they DI an upthrow in
for example
uthrow => forward or downsmash
uthrow => dtilt =>forward/downsmash/knee/any other finisher
uthrow => dtilt => dtilt again => or grab

basically you have lots of guaranteed hits if they DI an upthrow in

Top Bottom