• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rest???

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Wow, the first topic I've ever started...strange.

Anyway, is there any video of Rest and how damaging it is? I have yet to see any Jiggs gameplay besides that one CPU...

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
I don't think there are any vids yet :( hopefully it's easier to pull of agains tiny characters like Olimar...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Jiggs doesn't use rest in the video though?
She hits Snake with it after the match ends. It looked like it knocked him straight upward, which is strange. Also, was that a wall tech by Jiggs at 1:29?

Also, the Final Smash and Straw Hat outfit are both so **** adorable...

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's because it was at the end of the match, but when Jiggs nails Snake with the rest at the end, he doesn't rack up any damage.

Also, we don't really see how much knockback it has since the game slows down afterward. However, the knee had decent knockback still, so I doubt that the rest would be nerfed much...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'm guessing that, by the looks of things, they neggerd her rest to make her an overall better character. She sems much heavier and a little faster, but her rest doesn't seem quite as damaging thus far... and it seems like you can DI it out of KOing you pretty easily.... But, at least it makes her less reliant on it if she won't be dying in double digits anymore

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well, we don't know much about rest until we see jiggly play on a normal stage and not at the end of the match.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Well, we don't know much about rest until we see jiggly play on a normal stage and not at the end of the match.
regardless, we know how it appears... I wouldn't mind it being more like the SSB64 rest which was a bit weaker but much easier to hit with

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Wow interesting FS haha...but...shoot me for remembering the one pokemon episode where jiggs turns into giant jiggs...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I know that in Melee when you use an attack twice in a row, that the attacks power drops, like rest. In that video, rest only did 15%, but Jiggs also used it twice in a row. Maybe it still does 28% regularly?

Also, ****it to the nerf of rest, but I still like it. The flower thing just makes the attack humourous.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
She hits Snake with it after the match ends. It looked like it knocked him straight upward, which is strange. Also, was that a wall tech by Jiggs at 1:29?

Also, the Final Smash and Straw Hat outfit are both so **** adorable...

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's because it was at the end of the match, but when Jiggs nails Snake with the rest at the end, he doesn't rack up any damage.

Also, we don't really see how much knockback it has since the game slows down afterward. However, the knee had decent knockback still, so I doubt that the rest would be nerfed much...
there's a really clear wall tech (well, ceiling) at 1:05

GosuHonor

Smash Cadet
Personally I'm kinda glad Rest has been nerfed, as a Jiggs player, in return for being a stronger character in many other ways.
Bugged me that you had to rely on that move so much...

Smash Rookie
I’m not glad rest received the downgrade. Though, how much the move was nerfed is hard to say. Rest is no longer a one-hit KO, that much is obvious given the distance DDD flew (at 44%) in the training mode video. Knock-back is minimal, but overall damage seems to be increased. DDD accumulates something around 50% in total from the attack, 15% from the initial rest and another 35% from the 8 seconds DDD has a flower sticking out of his head. With characters dieing at higher percentages in Brawl, having 50% of whop a** in your arsenal might not be such a bad thing. Jiggs just has to rely more on her smashes to finish people.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Oh, I just realized something.

With the crazy DI that's supposedly in Brawl now (Marth going straight up from Pika's Forward Smash?!), will people be able to DI Jigg's "upward" rest trajectory in a more diagonal one, so as to avoid dying from it alltogether?

DQP

Smash Ace
rest is THE reason that i mained the jiggzter, so if rest is any harder to pull off, or if it's weaker, then i'm giving up jiggs and maining ROB

GosuHonor

Smash Cadet
Didn't notice before the flower or all the damage, but that is pretty awesome...
Maybe there is some sort of inherent randomness about rest knockback now with the flower? Maybe more damage= less knockback dependent on what the victim does to DI and so on.
Maybe there is some interesting stuff we haven't seen yet...well duh there is =D.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
rest is THE reason that i mained the jiggzter, so if rest is any harder to pull off, or if it's weaker, then i'm giving up jiggs and maining ROB
its not... that't the beauty of it... LOOK at how she only has to touch DDD to use it. in melee, she had to have the center of their bodies overlap... in brawl, like 64, she just has to touch you

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
its not... that't the beauty of it... LOOK at how she only has to touch DDD to use it. in melee, she had to have the center of their bodies overlap... in brawl, like 64, she just has to touch you
True.

Even if Rest sucked I still main her. Really, it's because I love how aerial she is.

Also, I'm starting the think that Lip Flower effect is simply awesome.

Finally, did anyone else notice that so far except for that Training mode that every rest that has landed was stopped by something like a wall, ceiling, or, in this case, the game ending?

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
rest is useless unless it KO's the opponent. if it doesn't then its the easiest KO for the opponent in the world, you are left helpless. what is there, like a 3 second 'lag'? thats years in smash time.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
So far none of her old rest combos work because of floatiness and lack of l-canceling, it'll take some time before we know if it is easier or not to hit with.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
@ shipoffools.
- it's more like 2 seconds now.... if that... and since so many characters are so floaty, even if not KOd, they might not be able to reach jiggly before she wakes up, and if jiggly hasn't taken any damage yet, the rest might be worth the tradeoff

@ KishPrime
-that just means we'll have to find new ones
-also, since the hitbox is so big, comboing into rest ain't as necessary

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
@ shipoffools.
- it's more like 2 seconds now.... if that... and since so many characters are so floaty, even if not KOd, they might not be able to reach jiggly before she wakes up, and if jiggly hasn't taken any damage yet, the rest might be worth the tradeoff

@ KishPrime
-that just means we'll have to find new ones
-also, since the hitbox is so big, comboing into rest ain't as necessary
Pretty much agree with what you said.

Besides, looking at some videos of Jiggs in action makes me feel that we won't have to rely on that move so much as before.

Still, I wonder what attacks will be able to chain into Rest, if any...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
As an exclusive jiggs main, I love this. The reduced knockback is a small price to pay if it is STRICTLY VERTICAL!

The fact is, jigg's counterpick stages all have low ceilings. If your opponent takes jiggs to a stage with a low ceiling in brawl, they only make rest that much more powerful! Jiggs in melee was very dependent on the stage in many cases, this balances her out across them.

Furthermore, every rest kill will be off the top of the screen. NO RESPAWN PUNISHMENT.

This is FANTASTIC.

EDIT: Also, now that everyone is slightly floatier, not only are vertical kills more likely, but with the time it takes them to fall it will be harder to optimally punish a non-lethal rest for many characters; most will be able to get a dair or uncharged f-smash tops.

Smash Rookie
I’m not glad rest received the downgrade. Though, how much the move was nerfed is hard to say. Rest is no longer a one-hit KO, that much is obvious given the distance DDD flew (at 44%) in the training mode video. Knock-back is minimal, but overall damage seems to be increased. DDD accumulates something around 50% in total from the attack, 15% from the initial rest and another 35% from the 8 seconds DDD has a flower sticking out of his head. With characters dieing at higher percentages in Brawl, having 50% of whop a** in your arsenal might not be such a bad thing. Jiggs just has to rely more on her smashes to finish people.
Edit: Sorry, I reviewed the vid and found I neglected to subtract one of the pounds from the %. In total, rest did about 40%. :(

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
As an exclusive jiggs main, I love this. The reduced knockback is a small price to pay if it is STRICTLY VERTICAL!

The fact is, jigg's counterpick stages all have low ceilings. If your opponent takes jiggs to a stage with a low ceiling in brawl, they only make rest that much more powerful! Jiggs in melee was very dependent on the stage in many cases, this balances her out across them.

Furthermore, every rest kill will be off the top of the screen. NO RESPAWN PUNISHMENT.

This is FANTASTIC.

EDIT: Also, now that everyone is slightly floatier, not only are vertical kills more likely, but with the time it takes them to fall it will be harder to optimally punish a non-lethal rest for many characters; most will be able to get a dair or uncharged f-smash tops.
factor in the fact that kiggly is a heck of a lot heartier now, and you have a mive that isn't so punishible anymore...

only if it fails to connect, is teched on a ceiling or wall early or is used in a multi-person match will it be able to be punished

GosuHonor

Smash Cadet
OK - Obviously we see that Brawl is a much slower game - something tells me that the number of stocks per match is going to decrease - probably to 3. Relatively speaking, it is also a heck of a lot more difficult to KO just through powerful attacks - not only is edgeguarding much more important - but what will happen to the role of the groundgame in Smash?
This seems to mean only good for Jiggs users, but since we still don't really understand the physics of the game, including movesets, it's hard to come to any definite conclusions.
Nevertheless, the Air Game in Brawl seems much more important, and aerials in general - hitting an opponent with a Smash on any larger or open stage is going to be much more difficult - I can kind of see the type of stages used changing as well.
But assuming rules and customs remains relatively unchanged (doubtful), we might expect Jigglypuff to be a much better character here than before.
What About the WoP - well, it kinda seems as if that is a term that's not going to be associated so much with Jiggs any more - a lot of characters due to their floaty nature have picked up on much of the characteristics from Melee...
So the question arises - is Brawl going to be like a lot of Jiggs. vs Jiggs matches. And frankly that prospect worries me...

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
this is what i can see from the new jiggs... she can still get ***** at low percentages. rest has been major nerfed. she can completely ruin other characters in wop combos. seeing as though brawl is much more of an arial game and thats many of the characters are much lighter, it makes it so jiggs can combo hard in the air still... which is good.

my theory is... jiggs, peach, and all main flaoties (light weight and great recovery) wont be used as often anymore. i feel that because the new recovery system with the auto sweetspotting and exc. has completely rid the characters with once great recovery to just as equal as falco now. the DI in brawl allows us to resist a ko a little less but in effect somehow float more back towards the stage; in turn making for an even easier recovery.

i doubt there will be many jiggs mains. but who knows, maybe the puff will draw players like myself, mango, king, and hyuga back to our main and our little crown :)

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I need to ask: Is there any chance they brought back the old Drill Kick into Rest from the original SSB?

TheBOSS

Smash Lord
drill to rest is also in melee. seeing as though attacks w/ multiple hits almost all connect, the drill rest should work way easier in brawl rather than in melee.

Top Bottom